Rangers - Retaking the upper hand in Scotland?

player_65

Glasgow, July 2005

Paul Le Guen strode into chairman Murray’s office with fixture list in hand and a bemused look on his face. ‘Chairman, can I ask you a couple of questions.’

Murray, happy to oblige his new boss replied cheerily ‘Of course Paul, but if it’s about more transfer funds I’m afraid I can’t help you.’

‘No, No. I was looking at this fixture list and I’m a bit confused. Where are Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea matches?’ Murray laughed ‘Well Paul if any of these teams get eliminated from the Champions League we may get them in the UEFA Cup but the draw is not for a few months yet, you know that.’

‘Not the UEFA Cup, I’m talking about league fixtures.’ Le Guen was becoming slightly irritated with his chairman’s bemused, off hand manner. ‘What League matches, those clubs are in an entirely different league.’ Murray him self’s mood was now changing as he became a bit concerned with odd behaviour of his manager.

‘Different league? Rangers play in the Premier League yes? So do Manchester United and Chelsea. Why are we not playing them?’ Le Guen was angry now.

‘Yes, very funny Paul. You almost had me going there for a minute. Now, is there something you actually want?’

‘Funny, what is funny? You haven’t answered my question.’ he shouted at Murray. ‘Now look here Paul, you know as well as I do that the Scottish Premier League and the English Premier League are two different leagues. Stop wasting my time and get back to work. And don’t ever shout at me like that again.’

‘ TWO Premier Leagues. You mean we only play against these teams called Kilmarnock and other places I’ve never heard of. This is not what I thought at all. I was here to manage against big clubs. You have deceived me chairman, and I do not like that. You can consider this my resignation. Goodbye.’ The door slammed and Le Guen stormed out of Ibrox before his chairman could really comprehend what was happening.

Murray sat in stunned silence for around half an hour before he picked up his phone to his receptionist. ‘Jenny, cancel my appointments for the rest of the week. Something urgent has come up and I need to devote all my time to it. What’s that? No I’m sorry I can’t tell you what it’s about. Not yet.’

The next week was the most hectic of Murray’s time in charge of Rangers. Countless hundreds of phone calls were made, numerous candidates turned him down and the superb job of the club to keep’s Le Guen’s departure under wrap couldn’t hold forever. Down to the last three names on his list, Murray dialled and crossed his fingers.

Melbourne, Australia

Luke Hudgson was enjoying being home. The UEFA coaching course had been trying, but he had succeeded, and finished top of his class, which was no small feat considering some of the company. He looked forward to a couple of weeks visiting his family and old friends before he returned to Europe and looked for a job. He had thought about his local club, Melbourne Victory but decided Europe was where he wanted to be. Luke was enjoying an AFL match featuring his beloved Essendon when he noticed his mobile phone buzzing.

‘Mr Hudgson, it’s David Murray from Rangers. I wonder if I might have a talk with you.’ Having been out drinking heavily with old mates the night before, Hudgson was in no mood for jokes. ‘**** off, who is this really, I’ve no time for this today.’ Murray was patient, he expected this kind of response. ‘I’ve got a number you can call me back on, please I’m deadly serious about this.’ Murray read off the number and Hudgson reluctantly called back, setting off the most unbelievable few days of his life.

Ibrox, Glasgow, July 9th 2005.

Less than 24 hours after the stunning news of Paul Le Guen’s departure from Rangers, itself kept quiet for nearly two weeks, Glasgow was again in uproar today. The green half was laughing, whilst the blue half was raging. At what appeared to be a hastily convened press conference, David Murray introduced the new boss, Australian Luke Hudgson. The young man has no management experience whatsoever and only last month completed the required UEFA courses, albeit at the top of his class. Murray nonetheless was upbeat. ‘Luke has outstanding natural talent and aptitude for management. Yes it’s true he would not have been my first choice, or even in the first half dozen, but at such short notice you do the best you can. I understand supporters are not happy, I’m hardly jubilant but I will support Luke for as long as he is here. As far as Paul leaving, I don’t want to get into specifics, but let’s just say neither of us got exactly what we were expecting.’

Proceedings were then turned over to Hudgson, who spoke for the first time. ‘Obviously with that ringing endorsement from the chairman I’m feeling very good (rolls eyes). I thought the whole thing was a practical joke to begin with, so that indicates I don’t think I’m ready for this really. However, I’ll do the best I can and lean on the experienced backroom staff for help.’ ‘What are my goals for the season? Winning the league of course. Anything less will see me booted I’d think, as there are bound to be more experienced candidates available next summer. If I win the title it makes me a little less expendable. I understand supporters are angry. All I can do is hopefully make some signings to excite them with the money the chairman’s made available and play attractive football. I’m very nervous, but also excited. I look forward to getting to work.’

‘Rangers are a club I have long admired, I have fond memories of the late 90s /early 2000s where the Old Firm matches were about the only football we saw live In Australia and it seemed there was a run there were every game was 3-2, 2-2, 3-3 or some brilliant score line like that. I want to produce similar attacking performances, although with us on the right side of the results, especially against Celtic.’

Just two days after his appointment, Hudgson was forced to take charge of his first match, a friendly away to Partick. The match came much too soon for Hudgson, who was still adjusting training and attempting to figure out who had to go from his squad. Immediately transfer listed were Letizi, Gavin Rae, Hemdani, Nacho Novo and Fan-Fan. Hudgson identified that he needed 5, possibly six new signings. This was in addition to his attempts to make permanent the moves of the two promising Manchester United youngsters, Phil Bardsley (a right-back) and Lee Martin, a left winger. With Chairman Murray having made the generous sum of around ₤12 million available, the funds were there but would require some fancy footwork from the manager. The permanent moves for Bardsley and Martin was to prove unsuccessful, as both players wished to return to Manchester United. As such they would need replacing, but that could wait until next summer.

Hudgson drew up a shortlist of targets, but knew it would be difficult to lure them to Ibrox, particularly with no Champions League football. ‘We’ve made offers to Fabien Barthez and Diego Tristan, along with having a bid accepted from Sparta Prague for Tomas Sivok. The problem with some of these players is we cannot match the wages offered by other clubs. If they turn us down, we’ll just keep looking until we find players of the right quality and price.

Rangers remodelling begins

Rookie boss Luke Hudgson made his first move into the transfer market today, signing Belgian under-21 international centre-back Thomas Vermaelen from Ajax for an initial fee of ₤2 million, which will eventually double. Departing the club on the same day were injury-prone midfielder Gavin Rae and young holding player Jeremy Clement,, the two players bringing in about ₤1.6 million. Hudgson was delighted to secure his first signing. ‘Thomas is a young player with terrific pace and aerial ability, something that was lacking in the current crop of centre-backs. He and Karl Svensson will start as my first choice centre-halves, and Papac and Rodriguez providing the cover. With Ian Murray and Steven Smith on the left, ad Bardsley and Hutton on the right, the defence is set now. We’ve got good options on the wings (Martin, Sionko, Burke, Adam) but definitely need more quality both centrally and up front. I’m working hard to try to fix that.’

Later that afternoon, another departure was confirmed, with Fan-Fan joining Genk of Belgium for ₤250,000. Also leaving the club was Hemdani, who moved on for the more substantial price of ₤1 million. Hudgson was pleased to move out players so quickly. ‘I’m delighted to move out those I don’t feel are up to it so rapidly. Sometimes it can be hard to find takers, but these swift moves give us the flexibility in both transfer fees and wages to sign some players.’

In the meantime, another pre-season friendly came and went, with Rangers drawing 2-2 with Banik Ostrava, Prso and Sebo scoring the goals.

Another one bites the dust at Ibrox

Nacho Novo became the latest victim of the Hudgson cull today, signing for Lens for ₤1.6 million, a fee that could rise to ₤2.5 million, freeing up more funds for Hudgson to sign players. The day also saw a tremendous coup for the Glasgow club, confirming the signing of French goalkeeper Fabien Barthez on a free transfer. Hudgson was jubilant. ‘It’s a tremendous boost for the club to sign someone of Fabien’s calibre. With Stefan Klos still some time away from being fit we needed another top-class keeper, and we’ve certainly got one in Fabien. He’s a bit older than what I’d ideally like for my signings, but available for wages only we couldn’t pass him up. With Lionel (Letizi, who signed for Panathanikos today for ₤1 million) leaving as well, it’s perfect timing for us. We still need more up front and in central midfield as I’ve stated, but the squad is looking more how I’d like it now. We’ve got 12 days until the first league game and I hope to have most things sorted by then.’

Two more additions for Gers fans to look forward to

More business by Luke Hudgson in the transfer market saw an addition to the midfield and strike force respectively, snapping up former Spanish international Diego Tristan on a free Transfer and securing French youngster Mathieu Flamini from English club Arsenal for ₤3 million. Said manager Hudgson, who is on his way to overcoming scepticism about his appointment with his shrewd dealings so far ‘Mathieu is a superb young talent, and I can’t really believe Arsenal transfer listed him to be honest with you. It’s a great coup for Rangers and he and Barry Ferguson will form a wonderful midfield pair for us. It’s true Diego has not been near his best for some time now, but on a one year deal it’s not too much risk for us. If it works out great, but if not neither party is trapped in a long-term fix. I still want a couple more players, but if this is the lot for the first game I wouldn’t be shattered.’

The final pre-season friendly started brilliantly for the manager and one of his new signings, with Tristan opening the scoring. Ten minutes later he was carried off. Goals from Prso and Flamini saw a 3-0 win, but Hudgson was cursing the loss of his new striker for a month ‘It’s the Daniel Prodan curse’ he lamented ‘We’ll have to step up our pace on getting another striker in now, I don’t think we can do it before Saturday.’

Following the month of upheaval that had affected the Glasgow club, it was something of a relief to start the league season. A trip to Hibernian awaited Hudgson in his first competitive fixture as Rangers boss. The visitors went behind, but a first half double from captain Barry Ferguson, a second half goal from Kris Boyd and a late own goal, saw Hudgson’s side secure a 4-2 victory. The result was made even better by Celtic’s shock 4-2 loss at Aberdeen, giving Hudgson and the club’s fans a great boost to start the campaign.

Midfielder checks in at Ibrox

Described as ‘the last piece of my midfield puzzle’, Norwegian international Christian Grindheim was unveiled today by Rangers, joining from Valarenga in his home country for ₤1.2 million. Both Hudgson and the player enthused about the move ‘Christian is another good young player. He gets up and down the field well and has an eye for goal. He’ll fit in nicely here, giving us another marvellous option in midfield.’

Grindheim ‘Rangers is obviously a step up from where I was, playing in front of 50,000 people every week is something I look forward to. I hope to play as many matches as I can, and being at a big club will help my chances with Norway. I am not match fit really yet, so it may take a few weeks for Rangers fans to see my best. When they do, I hope they like what they see.’

Hudgson confirmed he was still being thwarted in his quest for a new striker, revealing that Swede Johan Elmander and Dutch hot-shot Klaas-Jan Huntelaar had turned down the club during the week. ‘We’ll just keep trying our luck, and hopefully can secure someone before the window closes. We’ve got the better part of a month, and a striker is all I’m after now so I can budget accordingly. I’m confident our supporters will be happy with what I present to them. In the meantime I’ve got my first appearance at Ibrox this weekend and I can’t wait.’

Rangers 3 vs. Dundee Utd 0

Despite the win at Hibs the previous week, and signings that had been praised by most observers, Hudgson did not receive a warm welcome at Ibrox from the home crowd. There was significant demonstrations outside the ground chanting for both Hudgson and Mr. Murray to be ousted, and a planned welcome for the boss on the pitch had to be cancelled for fear of becoming embarrassing to both manager and club.

On the team front, new boy Grindheim had to be content with a spot on the bench, whilst Steven Smith replaced Murray who was ill. Sionko was left out, allowing Chris Burke, who impressed in a cameo at Easter Road to start on the right side. The boos were silenced just two minutes in, when Kris Boyd nodded the home side in front, from Burke’s deflected cross. On twelve minutes it was two. Burke again was involved in the lead up, this time his shot was blocked and fell perfectly for Flamini, who volleyed superbly into the goal to make it 2-0. Boyd more or less ended the game when Ferguson played him a simple ball which he lashed in from 25 yards to make it 3-0 in stoppage time in the first half.

As if often the case following a dominant first half, the seconds half failed to reach any great heights. Whilst there were no boos at the final whistle, the cheers were hardly deafening either, and many remain unconvinced. In the words of the spokesman of one prominent supporters group ‘Home wins against Dundee United are expected. The two games so far has done nothing to suggest this bloke is up to the job. Let’s see how he does against Celtic, Hearts and in Europe. He’s been promising us a big striker for a month now and is still yet to deliver. This bloke is all talk and no action.’

Hudgson seemed unperturbed by supporter concerns ‘I can understand their frustrations at my appointment. All I can do is continue to rack up wins and hopefully they’ll warm to me. First half today was great, second not so much, but we’re very much a work in progress.’

Hudgson gets his man – at last

Rangers boss Luke Hudgson unveiled his final summer signing today with Brazilian Dagoberto signing from Atletico Paranaense for a fee of ₤8.75 million. Dagoberto was not present at the press conference, still flying in from Brazil but the manager was quick to extol his virtues. ‘Berto is super quick and technically superb. He still needs to be more clinical in the box, but that will come once he settles in. it’s a great move for us, and I think I’m right in saying the first Brazilian to play for the club. With the squad I’ve put together we can be very confident of pushing hard for the title.’

Supporters though, were still less than convinced. A sample poll revealed some of the more frequent responses. ‘Is this another Tore Andre Flo? The last time we spent this much on a striker it didn’t go that well.’ ‘How is a Brazilian going to like Scotland in the middle of December? By January he’ll ask for a move.’ ‘That’s a heck of a lot of money on someone unproven in Europe, especially for a club with not bucketloads to spend such as Rangers.’ Time will tell who is proved correct, but on paper Rangers look to have assembled a team capable of challenging for the title.

Monte Carlo, 13th August

Hudgson was enjoying some much needed summer sun during the international break, having left his assistant in charge. He had just about dozed off when the phone rang. It was the chairman, stating that whilst away with Bosnia, Papac had indicated he didn’t think Hudgson had the mettle to succeed at Rangers, as well as being unhappy in Scotland.

Thoughts of a pleasant afternoon in the sun evaporated as Hudgson screamed into the phone. ‘Transfer list that useless lump of cabbage right now. If players have problems I expect them to come to either you or more likely myself. This is totally unacceptable and I won’t stand for it. He was fourth choice at best anyway. I suppose I’ll have to come home early now to sort this out. ****, I was enjoying it here.’

Rangers 2 vs. Dunfermline 0

with a bid for Papac accepted and his holiday cut short, a frustrated Hudgson returned to Glasgow to prepare for the visit of Dunfermline. New boy Dagoberto was only a sub, as the team remained the same one that defeated Dundee United last time out.

Rangers started the brighter and it was no surprise they took the lead, the goal coming on 16 minutes from Lee Martin. The ever-impressive Burke floated a ball to the back stick which the on-loan man dispatched with aplomb. The lead was doubled three minutes before the break when Barry Ferguson curled in a marvellous free-kick. A slight knock to Prso saw Dagoberto introduced at half-time, to the rapturous applause of the Ibrox faithful.

A second half of few chances eventuated, showing Hudgson that his men still have a long way to go, despite being perfect in the league so far with 3 wins from 3. Barry Ferguson echoed this in his interview post-match. ‘We’ve done well first half again, but have failed to go on with it. Against the top sides that will cost us points. The gaffer’s doing well, there are times you can tell he’s new at the job, but he’ll get there and I’m 100% behind him. Sasa (Papac) is out of order with his comments and it’s cost him his place here. It’s a lesson to players to keep their concerns in house, either to themselves or the boss’

Elmander joins Gers strike force – temporarily

Rangers bolstered their front line further today, securing Swedish striker Johan Elmander on loan for the season. Having tried earlier in the summer to sign him permanently, the Swede agreed to a year’s deal. ‘This is a good deal for both us and Johan. He was reluctant to come here permanently, perhaps because of how new I was but this is a good trial for us both. If he’s successful, hopefully he’ll want to stay as he’s certainly a player of good quality who will fit in nicely here. Apart from Sasa leaving, there’ll be no more major signings for the first team. However, I will be looking for quality youth players as our stocks are a little low at the moment.’ said boss Luke Hudgson, speaking at the media conference before the trip to Inverness Caledonian Thistle. He also seemed unconcerned at the two cup draws through the week. The CIS Cup sees Rangers away to Gretna, whilst the UEFA Cup 1st Round pairs them with Norwegians Brann.

ICT 0 vs. Rangers 3

Dagoberto made his full debut for the club, as Rangers looked to continue their unblemished start to league action under Luke Hudgson. Also included was Johan Elmander, albeit on the bench. Barthez picked up a knock playing fro France, so young Allan McGregor started in goal.

The Brazilian made a positive impact, setting up the opener for Kris Boyd with a perfectly weighted ball across the box. Dagoberto was everywhere, dropping off defenders and generally causing havoc, and his superb first half was rewarded three minute before the break with a goal. Lee Martin skinned his full-back and whipped in a fierce cross which the Brazilian headed into the goal, to send Rangers in 2-0 ahead at the break.

An equally good second half brought another goal for the striker. Substitutes Adam and Diego Tristan, back from injury, combined to set up Dagoberto’s second, ten minutes from time. A final score of 3-0 reflected another dominant display, as Hudgson continues his efforts to win over supporters. Rangers already enjoy a five point advantage over Celtic, along with a game in hand. Overall, they are second on 12 points, 1 behind Hearts, but having played a game less than the Edinburgh club. Midweek sees them play that game in hand, travelling to Pittodrie to play Aberdeen.

Aberdeen 0 vs. Rangers 3

The title chasers made it 5 from 5 in the league, cruising to victory against a lacklustre opponent. Dagoberto opened the scoring on eleven minutes, played in marvellously by Flamini before shooting low into the corner. The second goal came just after the break, the Brazilian nabbing his second. Boyd’s flick on was missed by the defender, leaving Dagoberto with plenty of space to run into, as he galloped away to find the net.

The third goal, and ‘Berto’s hat-trick came with fifteen minutes left, as sub Elmander had his shirt almost removed by the Aberdeen defender. The Brazilian shot low to the keeper’s right, completing a fine days work. 15 points from 15 see Rangers top the table, and already eight ahead of their great rivals, Celtic.

Dream first month for rookie boss

With just one month of league action behind him, things could not have gone much better for the controversial choice as new Rangers manager, Luke Hudgson. A perfect league record, and massive lead on Celtic are just two of things that have fallen his way.

His new signings have been almost universal successes, and today two of them took the respective player of the month awards. Talented young defender Thomas Vermaelen won Young Player of the Month, and Brazilian sensation Dagoberto took out Player of the Month honours. The manager himself was awarded the gong for top boss. Plenty of goals, along with none conceded, have fast seen sceptical fans come around to the appointment.

The boss himself also seemed pretty pleased with things. ‘Obviously it’s been a brilliant start by the lads. I know there will be tough patches to come, but I’m going to enjoy it while the goings good. We’ve still to face Celtic, or play in Europe for example. The new players are doing well, but the challenge for all of us is to do it over the season. That said, I’d much rather be in our position than Celtic’s for instance. The defence is probably what has pleased me most to be honest with you, with the midfield and strikers I’ve assembled I knew we had goals in us, but the solidity at the back has been a real plus for us.

Rangers 2 vs. St. Mirren 0

Rangers resumed after the international break with what seemed a comfortable home fixture. Unfortunately, they were without top scorer Dagoberto, who despite not being on international duty, had managed to pick up an injury. Stefan Klos kept his place, after playing the last match before the break. Barthez was on the bench, whilst Elmander replaced Dagoberto.

St. Mirren were to prove a tough nut to crack though, and it took a penalty, converted by Libor Sionko to give Rangers the lead in a dominant first half. The second half was a similar tale, with the good play producing only one goal. This time it cam from sub Diego Tristan, who was played in by a lovely pass from Elmander to make it 2-0 at full-time. Five games without conceding a goal see the Glasgow side remain top of the table. Hudgson was a pleased man after the game ‘Credit to St. Mirren today, they were hard to break down. But kudos to my players, we stayed patient and the goals eventually came for us. That’s a good sign because we won’t dominate every game. Defensively we were superb again, Thomas (Vermaelen) and Karl (Svensson) are forming a superb partnership together at the back for us. I still haven’t given up on retaining Bardsley either but that won’t be resolved for a while.’ He was less positive about Ian Murray though, who left the field injured in the second half. ‘It looks like Ian has dislocated his shoulder so he’ll be out for a while, probably six to eight weeks. It’s a blow for us because he’s so versatile. Steven Smith will come in at left-back, he’s done marvellously in his appearances so far. We now look forward to Europe’

Rangers 4 vs. Brann 1 UEFA Cup 1st Round 1st Leg

Rangers kicked off the European campaign with a tie they were heavily favoured in. as the manager suggested, Smith came in at the back. Lee Martin returned, meaning Sionko switched to the right with Chris Burke left out. Diego Tristan’s goal on Saturday earned him his first Rangers start.

The home side more or less ended the tie in seven devastating first half minutes. Having being firmly on top the breakthrough came when Elmander got his first Rangers goal, latching onto a fine pass from Ferguson. Jacobsen received a straight read minutes later for bringing down the Swede when clean through. From the free-kick, a fine save from Smith’s shot led to a corner, which was floated over for Vermaelen to get on the end of to make it 2-0. Three minutes later it was three, as Elmander got a second, this time from a Sionko pass.

The second half was far more even, and saw Rangers concede for the first time in nearly six games, a fine counter-attack resulting in Robbie Winters beating Klos. The home side restored the three goal lead a minute from time, Tristan finishing off after Elmander’s cross was deflected into his path. Hudgson was predictably satisfied with the result. ‘4-1 means I can rest a few in the second leg if needs be. It’s disappointing to concede after the good run we’ve had, but I’d rather let one in at 3-0 than 0-0. Another good result though, and confidence is high amongst the squad.’

Hearts 2 vs. Rangers 4

Leaders Rangers visited second placed Hearts in the table topping clash, and provided the leaders with their sternest test under the new boss. They duly passed it to maintain their 100% league record, although not without some difficulty, requiring three goals in the last 15 minutes to secure the points.

The visitors took the lead on 12 minutes when Flamini made a late run into the box to nod in Elmander’s cross. Hearts equalised five minutes before the break with a fine goal from Bednar. The game looked destined for a draw until 15 minutes from the end when Flamini got a second, again with his head. Lee Martin supplied the cross this time. Rangers thought they had wrapped things up four minutes later when sub Dado Prso got his first of the season scoring a third headed goal for the day for Rangers, this time from a Bardsley cross.

Hearts made for an interesting finale by equalising straight from the kick off through Jankauskas. 3-2 with ten minutes left. Rangers put the game to be though in injury time with Prso’s second. With Hearts throwing men forward, Rangers broke away through Elmander and the Swede advanced into the box, drew the keeper and unselfishly squared it to Prso who tapped it in. Rangers are now five points clear of Hearts, who remain second. With the manager ill and having lost his voice Pros spoke post-match ‘We’re pleased to get the points today. Hearts are a good side and showed that with their play. It has been hard for me so far this season. I started the first three matches but with not scoring and the options we have it was understandable I was left out. Then Berto, Kris, Johan and Diego all scored goals, making it hard for me to get back in. I hope today gives the manager something to think about. He has said I will start in the cup game in midweek so I hope to do well.’

Gretna 0 vs. Rangers 2 – CIS Insurance Cup 3rd round

Midweek saw the first cup action of the season as Hudgson rang the changes. Julien Rodriguez, Alan Hutton, Thomas Buffel and Christian Grindheim were among the senior players given first starts of the campaign along with youngsters Antoine Ponroy, Scott Agnew and young signing Lewis Stevenson from Hibs.

Grindheim gave the visitors the lead in 18 minutes with a marvellous free-kick, and Tristan doubled the lead before half-time. The Spanish striker got on the end of a cross from Agnew to make it 2-0 just before the break. A very poor second half followed and no further addition was made to the scoreline, with Rangers safely through to the last eight where they will travel to Hibs. Hudgson was satisfied with the result ‘Second half was as poor as we’ve played since I arrived but with the team out there I’m not too disappointed. Christian showed us his quality today with that free-kick, it’s been hard for him to get a look in. Barry (Ferguson) and Flamini have been playing so well I haven’t wanted to split them up.’

Rangers 2 vs. Falkirk 0

League action returned to Ibrox for the first time in a fortnight with the visit of Falkirk. A much stronger Gers team than Wednesday was sent out, with the first choice backline and midfield reappearing. Elmander and Prso was the strike pairing, Tristan confined to the bench despite recent good form.

The Swedish front man it was who gave Rangers the lead on twelve minutes. Bardsley’s pass sent Chris Burke on his way and the young Scot crossed perfectly for Elmander to register his third goal of the season, his first in the league. Flamini had a couple of half chances before the break, whilst Falkirk had no opportunities, as the defence stood strong.

The points were eventually made safe (although they were hardly at risk as Falkirk remained toothless going forward) twenty minutes from time as Lee Martin was bundled over in the box. Prso put the resulting penalty into the top right corner for his third of the season to make it 2-0, which it remained until full-time. Hudgson was pleased with the win, but not the performance ‘The fluidity has gone from our play in the last few efforts. Defensively we still look strong, but going forward has become a bit disjointed. That’s a slight concern with Celtic coming up next weekend. I’ll rest a few on Thursday in Norway, so hopefully we’ll be fresh and firing on Sunday.’

Brann (1) 1 vs. Rangers (4) 1 – UEFA Cup 1st Round 2nd leg

Hudgson was not quite as good as his word, making some changes. In all there were four alterations to the starting line-up from the weekend. Vermaelen & Bardsley received a much needed rest, as did Chris Burke. Rodriguez, Hutton & Sionko were handed the chance to impress. Kris Boyd returned up front after a 4 game absence.

Any hopes of a miraculous Brann comeback were put to bed after ten minutes when the unfortunate Andreas Hagen put the ball through his own net to give Rangers the lead on the night, which they maintained throughout a lacklustre first half. The second half saw Brann equalise through the impressive Winters, as Rangers conspired to miss a host of chances that would have given them victory on the night as well as in the tie. 1-1 it finished, with Rangers through to the group phase. That sees thew drawn with Paris Saint-Germain, another Norwegian team in Valarenga, Athletic Bilbao of Spain and German club Eintracht Frankfurt. Hudgson was pleased to be through, and not shattered with the draw ‘We’re pleased to navigate through tonight safely, there were never any real concerns for us. The draw is a tricky one. I’d say we’re better than Valarenga but the other matches will all be hard for us. We’re looking forward to the challenge when it comes, but for now I’m ready for my first Old Firm Derby on Sunday. It should be marvellous. If we win we can be 11 points clear of Celtic, a fantastic margin at this stage in the season’

Celtic 0 vs. Rangers 4

No resting of players today, as Hudgson selected his best available XI. That gave us a real indicator about who he views as number one goalie, with Klos getting the nod over Barthez. The back four picked itself with Bardsley and smith the full-backs and the imperious pairing of Vermaelen and Svensson selected in the middle. Ferguson and Flamini continued in central midfield, with the two young flying wingers Burke & Martin outside them. With Dagoberto still not fit, Elmander and Tristan was the pairing up front, with Boyd and Prso only substitutes.

Rangers got a dream start, taking the lead after 55 seconds. A foul on Tristan led to Steven Smith curling in a magnificent free-kick to give the visitors the lead. Rangers dominated the remainder of the half and doubled the lead three minutes before the break. A poor backpass from Nakamura straight into the path of Elmander left Boruc in goal with no chance and the Swede coolly finished to make it 2-0.

As you would expect after such a poor first half, Celtic came out fired up. Vennegoor of Hesselink went close twice, denied only by the width of the post and some Klos brilliance. Just after the hour though, Rangers killed the game. Martin’s superb cross looked destined for Burke to put away but Balde got there just ahead f the young winger. Unfortunately for the defender, all he could do was deflect the ball into the goal to make it 3-0. Balde’s day went from bad to worse four minutes from time as he needlessly handled the ball in the box, conceding a penalty. Substitute Sionko dispatched it for 4-0. that proved to be the final score, and the boos emanating from the home fans at full time told the story.

Hudgson, the players and supporters were all delighted and flabbergasted at the margin of the win which leaves Rangers 9 from 9 in the league, eight points clear of 2nd placed Hearts and an incredible 11 ahead of Celtic. ‘That’s our best performance of the season obviously and what a time and place to produce it. Scoring so early helped settle us down and we played some marvellous stuff. Every players out there today in a Rangers shirt should be proud of themselves, they were magnificent, really fantastic. I can’t add much more than that, the performance speaks for itself.’

It seems supporters are starting to come around too. A spokesman for one of the groups that has protested loudly about Hudgson’s appointment showered him with praise today. ‘To beat Celtic 4-0 in their own place is a massive achievement. I was not happy about his appointment but you have to say he’s getting the job done. The title is already within our grasp to be honest with you. If he can get us through that UEFA Cup group I’ll be even more pleased’

The international break following the derby came at just the wrong time for Rangers who were flying and full of confidence following the win. They would have to knuckle down at home to Motherwell, ahead of a massive game in Frankfurt to start the group phase of the UEFA Cup. One piece of good new was the return to full fitness of Dagoberto, who found a place on the bench, unable to break into what was unsurprisingly a unchanged XI after the Celtic win.

Rangers 4 vs. Motherwell 1

The break had little effect on the home side, as they went 2-0 up inside twelve minutes. Flamini opened the scoring on nine minutes when a trademark late run into the box saw him get on the end of Bardsley’s cross to head home. The second goal was a calamity for Motherwell. A short backpass saw the keeper charging out to try and get there, but Elmander beat him to it, before calmly rolling the ball in from about thirty yards for his fifth of the season.

Just past the half hour, Rangers conceded a comedy goal of their own. Smith’s backpass was cut out easily, allowing Brian McLean an easy finish past the stranded Klos. Smith went a ways to redeeming himself in first half injury time when he crossed for Flamini to head in his second of the game and fifth of the season, giving Rangers a 3-1 half-time lead.

Three minutes into the second half, Diego Tristan scored a magnificent goal. Receiving the ball wide right in the penalty area thee seemed to be no danger of a goal, but the Spaniard unleashed a thunderous drive into the top left corner from an acute angle that even had the manager up out of his seat. The final 20 minutes saw a return for Dagoberto, a boost with the big European match coming up. 4-1 it ended in another comprehensive victory.

Eintracht Frankfurt 0 vs. Rangers 3 – UEFA Cup Group Stage

A bit of a surprise as Hudgson stuck with an unchanged XI for the third straight game. Many observers thought Dagoberto would find a starting place but he was only on the bench. Rangers dominated the early exchanges but were unable to convert their superiority into a goal, and should have gone behind in stoppage time. Vermaelen fouled Takahara and the Japanese striker picked himself up to take the penalty, which was stopped superbly by Klos, meaning the first half ended goalless.

Steven Smith went close with a free kick just on the hour, and 90 seconds later Rangers were in front. Elmander latched onto Flamini’s well-weighted ball to score. The Swede got a second fifteen minutes from time, finishing off some good work from sub Dagoberto to make it 2-0. a comprehensive win was sealed ten minutes from the end when a foul on Sionko in the box saw the Czech score the penalty himself to make the final score 3-0 on a great night for Rangers and their manager ‘This is a marvellous night for us. Three points away in the first match sets us up beautifully to hopefully qualify. Johan has been a terrific acquisition for us, I hope we can make his move a permanent one. We hope to keep the league form going now.’

Kilmarnock 2 vs. Rangers 2

The starting line-up finally had an alteration, as Dagoberto was fit enough to start alongside Elmander. The Brazilian marked his return to the starting side after just four minutes when he couldn’t miss from Lee Martin’s lovely cross which fell to him on the goal line. Eight minutes before the break he had his second. Elmander was sent away down the left and his shot was saved, the rebound falling perfectly for Dagoberto to finish it off for 2-0.

Straight from the kick-off in the second half, Killie gave themselves a lifeline. Paul Di Giacomo weaved through the defence and scored expertly low past Klos. Just after the hour, he scored again to bring the home side level. Rangers were in danger of dropping their first league points of the season. This proved to be true, as the game ended 2-2, leaving the manager in philosophical mood ‘Ten wins from eleven games is a marvellous effort, so I can’t be too disappointed. Maybe there was a bit of a letdown after Thursday and I should have freshened up the team a bit more. I’ll take the blame for that but we’re still marvellously placed.’

Rangers 2 vs. Hibs 0

Following the slight stumble at Rugby Park, Rangers looked to get back to winning ways against Hibs. Flamini and Burke were left out, allowing Grindheim and Sionko to show their wares. They got off to the perfect start, Dagoberto giving them the lead inside two minutes, a fine finish from a tight angle after good work from Sionko. Steven Smith doubled the lead on 13 minutes with a marvellous free kick low into the corner.

A couple of poor defensive lapses from Smith and Svensson respectively almost allowed Hibs back into the game, but Klos was alert enough to stymie the danger, maintaining the 2-0 lead until half time. A scrappy second half of few chances saw the final score at 2-0. ‘We’re just going at the moment and did enough to win today but nothing more. Defensively we’ve looked a bit dozy the couple of games, we need to stamp that out quick smart. The early buffer we got over Celtic has shown how useful it was with the way they’re playing now. (They won 6-0 against Aberdeen today). We’ll have to improve in our next match’

Midweek saw Hudgson announced for the second time as manager of the month, whilst on-loan full-back Phil Bardsley won Young Player of the Month.

Dundee Utd 1 vs. Rangers 6

Hoping to avoid the ‘curse’ that comes with Manager and Player awards, Rangers to Tannadice to play 4th placed Dundee United. Johan Elmander was left out, as Kris Boyd returned to the side, fresh off agreeing a five year contract extension during the week.

The visitors took the lead on seventeen minutes when some wonderful work from Martin freed up space for Smith. The young full-back raced away and crossed to the far post where Sionko met the ball with a perfect right foot volley back across the goalkeeper to open the scoring. The second goal came from Dagoberto as the Brazilian smashed in Boyd’s low pass at the near post. The striker then set up a goal. Winning possession back in midfield he played a through ball fro Lee Martin, who held off his defender to beat the keeper at the near post to make it 3-0 after 33 minutes. A foul in the ‘D’ gave Rangers their fourth, as Grindheim blasted a free-kick straight through the goalkeeper to make it 4-0. just before the break it was five, as Bardsley set Boyd through. The offside trap failed, and the striker ran thirty yards before rocketing the ball into the net for 5-0.

Such a magnificent first half was unlikely to be duplicated, and it proved the case. Injuries to Bardsley and Sionko soured the win. Sionko forced Rangers down to ten men as he was injured after the third change was made, and United took advantage of the extra man to get one back through Brewster. Rangers did score a sixth though and it was no surprise Dagoberto was the man to get it, heading in from Smith’s corner. The biggest win under the new boss had him a happy man ‘That first half was as good as I’ve ever seen from any team anywhere, ever. Simply superb. Both Phil (Bardsley) and Sionko will probably miss about a month each. It gives Alan Hutton a chance to impress me. With Phil leaving in January we need another right-back. This is Alan’s chance to show he should be first choice, not the new man.’

Hibs 1 vs. Rangers 4– CIS Cup Q/F

A significantly weakened Rangers side travelled to Hibs seeking a place in the last four. Young left-back Stevenson got a second appearance in the competition, whilst William Stanger made his full debut on the right. Scott Agnew who played in the previous round was a sub. The fringe players did the boss proud, earning a 4-1 victory.

Hibs took the lead on 20 minutes when Konte went past Rodriguez and beat Barthez easily. Rangers hit back ten minutes before the break when Diego Tristan’s lovely cross found William Stanger coming in from the right and the young winger put it in brilliantly. Five minutes later Rangers led. Prso fed a good ball through to Tristan and the Spaniard finished expertly.

Rangers controlled the game after that and were virtually assured of a semi-final when Juanito was sent off for bringing down Prso when through on goal. Tristan put the game to be with his second ten minutes from the end when Buffel found him unmarked in the box. Prso’s industrious efforts got their reward in injury time when Lewis Stevenson found the Croatian with a cross that he headed home. Rangers advance to the semis, where they will play Dundee United away.

Another example of curious scheduling saw Rangers go almost two weeks without a match, and when they did resume it was in the UEFA Cup against PSG.

Rangers 3 vs. Paris S-G 2 – UEFA Cup Group Stage

Another memorable European night for Rangers, as they came back from 2-0 down to record their second win of the group phase. Pierre-Alan Frau gave PSG the lead on 15 minutes with a rocket into the top right corner, leaving Barthez with no chance. Five minutes later the lead was doubled. Svensson handled the ball and Pauleta dispatched the resulting penalty with aplomb.

The home side began their fightback on 28 minutes through Chris Burke. Flamini’s shot was blocked and fell perfectly for the winger to half-volley the ball home. Three minutes before the break they were level. Poor marking allowed Boyd space in the box and he squared it for Dagoberto to finish and send the teams in at half time locked at 2-2. The goal that proved to be the winner came just after the hour mark courtesy of a shocking error. The PSG keeper completely mishit his clearing kick which went straight to Boyd who proceeded to lob it back over the stranded goalie. More chances came and went, but Rangers secured the 3 points.

Hudgson was predictably pleased with his charges. ‘2 wins from 2 means we’re almost there already. What we want to do if we can is win the group and avoid the teams failing out of the Champions League. A marvellous effort tonight. We haven’t been two down this season and to come back and win shows terrific character from the lads. We take on Dunfermline full of momentum now.’

Dunfermline 0 vs. Rangers 3

No evidence of a European hangover early on for Rangers as they took the lead on 12 minutes. Charlie Adam sent Boyd through and he lashed a twenty yard bullet past the keeper to open the scoring with his seventh of the season. The striker scored his and Rangers’ second ten minutes from the break. Defender McGuire dithered and was dispossessed by the lively Adam, who drew the keeper before unselfishly laying it off for Boyd to make it 2-0, which it remained until half-time.

A poor second half from the visitors saw Dunfermline dominate but Rangers oddly increase their margin of victory. Dado Prso got the third goal fifteen minutes from time, with his fifth goal of the campaign and fourth from the bench. Only inspired keeping from Klos kept the score at 2-0 before Prso settled the matter, a fact not overlooked by the manager ‘Stefan did superbly in the second half, as we were getting battered to be honest with you. Luckily Dado scored, as if they’d got one back, momentum may have seen them get something. Still, we look forward to Wednesday now and a win would see us qualify for the knockout phase of the UEFA Cup.’

Athletic Bilbao 0 vs. Rangers 2 – UEFA Cup Group Phase

As the manager said, a win for Rangers would see them secure qualification. The starting side remained unchanged, due to multiple absentees. Bardsley, Sionko and Martin were all injured, whilst Grindheim was ineligible as he continues to be in Europe.

A dream start for the Scottish side came on fourteen minutes when Murillo tripped Dagoberto in the box. Charlie Adam took the responsibility from the spot and duly converted for his first senior goal. Relentless pressure from the home side saw them peppering the goals, but Rangers managed to maintain their lead until half-time. Another inspired display from Klos, and the linesman’s flag (Denying Fernando Llorente an equaliser) were the main reasons.

This was certainly not a game to reinforce the ‘game of two halves’ cliché. The second half again saw Athletic dominate, although this time their failure to score had more to do with their own profligacy than superb goalkeeping. Rangers hung on and offered only sporadic counter-attacks. One was to prove crucial though, as Dagoberto broke away and was felled for a second time in the box. Adam made no mistake and rangers remarkably led 2-0, a lead they managed to maintain until full-time to record a famous win and seal their place in the knockout phase. Hudgson was equal parts bemused and pleased ‘We’ve no right to have won that game 2-0 really. They should have scored with the amount of chances they created but Stefan was not to be beaten. We’ve had about three meaningful attacks and ended up with two goals. It’s a funny game sometimes. Still, we’re obviously delighted to be through, and now the goal is to win the group’

Rangers 4 vs. ICT 0

Fresh from their remarkable success in Spain, Rangers returned to league action against sixth placed Inverness. Bardsley & Sionko were welcome returnees, named amongst the substitutes. Perhaps their midweek rearguard saw the players out of energy as the first half hour was extremely lacklustre. Rangers went in front shortly after through Dagoberto, who pounced on Boyd’s blocked shot. A second goal came in stoppage time at the end of the first half. Boyd again was involved, as his marvellous effort was saved, the ball falling to Charlie Adam. The youngster followed up his first senior goals on Wednesday with his first league goal to send the league leaders into half-time ahead 2-0.

The second half meandered along in similar fashion to the first before it too came to life in the last ten minutes. Flamini was bundled over in the box, allowing Charlie Adam to make it three successful penalties in three days, along with consecutive braces. On 89 minutes it became four successful penalties and his first hat-trick in professional football. Flamini again was the ‘victim’, allowing Adam to complete a remarkable two performances. Hudgson was delighted for his young winger ‘It’s been hard for Charlie with Lee Martin playing so well. But with Lee unavailable Charlie has come in and performed superbly. He should be proud of his efforts, and Lee will have to wait for a chance to break back in. Unbeaten after 15 games and nine points ahead of Celtic, we could hardly have wished for a better first part of the season. The challenge is to keep going.’

Rangers 3 vs. Aberdeen 0

Lee Martin was available for selection, but as the manager promised he was only on the bench for the fixture with Aberdeen. Julien Rodriguez and Christian Grindheim did start though, as Vermaelen and Ferguson were rested. Chris Burke was injured, and with Sionko not fully fit, Thomas Buffel was deployed on the right wing.

A scrappy first half ended with Rangers 1-0 up. The goal came early on, and from the body of an Aberdeen player, Karim Touzani the unlucky man who put through his own net. The second goal came with around twenty-five minutes remaining and was the product of good work between two subs. The returning Martin floated the ball into the box where Johan Elmander took it down brilliantly and then smashed it home. Four minutes later it was 3-0. Martin’s free kick found the head of Buffel, and although his header was saved, the Belgian was alert enough to put away the rebound. It was just reward for a man who has endured a difficult campaign and had put in a sterling shift in an unfamiliar position during this match. A comprehensive win and a fine performance was overshadowed by reports that Diego Tristan has been complaining about a lack of first-team action. Said manager Hudgson ‘Diego was only ever here as a squad player and I’m not sure what is problem is exactly. He was injured as the start of the season and Boyd, Elmander and then Dagoberto have been on fire. Who exactly would he have me leave out, as they’ve all been playing better than him. As for today, we played very well, especially second half. The substitutes (Prso, Elmander & Martin) made a real difference for us. They’ll certainly be in contention to start on Saturday.’

Rangers 2 vs. Hearts 0

Elmander was selected to start, a decision made easier by a knock picked up by Dagoberto in training. Adam retained his place as Hudgson felt he deserved a greater show of faith than going straight to Martin, whilst Ferguson returned to the line-up. Rodriguez and Buffel’s impressive showing meant Sionko and Vermaelen remained as subs.

Rangers took the lead shortly after the 20 minute mark. Adam’s cross found Elmander and the Swede made no mistake from 8 yards. Adam himself got on the scoresheet on half an hour. Buffel’s corner was played to the young Scot, who hit a first time shot into the far corner to double Rangers’ advantage. A marvellous double save from Klos saw the home side maintain their advantage into the break.

A dull second half in which both teams seemed to have decided the game was over saw the result be a 2-0 win for the home side, who maintain a nine point break over second placed Celtic. Hudgson did not comment after the match, leaving the talking to Charlie Adam ‘We’re delighted to get another three points today, especially as Celtic are on a great run at the moment. We need to keep winning. On a personal level, I’m delighted with my form and to get a goal today that wasn’t a penalty! I wasn’t sure I was in the boss’ plans with not getting many games. He told me though it was impossible to leave Lee out the way he was playing and to wait for my chance. Hopefully I’ve done well enough to impress him and see more match time.’

Rangers 5 vs. Valarenga 1 –UEFA Cup Group Phase

Other results had meant Rangers were guaranteed to top the group, so Hudgson rested a few players. Svensson, Boyd, Elmander, Adam & Flamini were all rested. Barry Ferguson was left out to avoid suspension.

Despite the changes, Rangers produced a marvellous first half to lead 3-0 at the break. Diego Tristan, whose rebuke from his manager brought a public apology grabbed a double while Sionko got the third with a super curling effort into the top corner from 30 yards ten minutes before the break.

Valarenga came out much improved and got some reward on 70 minutes when Johannsen pulled a goal back. Rangers restored the three goal lead with then minutes to play through Prso, the Croatian heading in from Sionko’s corner. The scoring was completed by Tristan who got his hat-trick with two minutes left after the keeping scuffed his clearance straight to the Spaniard who chipped it back over him. Hudgson was delighted with his outspoken striker. ‘That’s the kind of response I want from my players. When they get a chance, take it and don’t complain. Diego will stay in the side for a while now, as long as he keeps scoring. 4 from 4 in this group is a marvellous effort. Obviously our next opponent, whoever that is will be tougher but on our day we can give anyone a run for their money. Europe is forgotten for a while now, as we try to increase our league lead.’

St. Mirren 0 vs. Rangers 3

Bottom of the league St. Mirren were the opponents as Rangers continued their march to the title. A host of regulars returned to the line-up after their rest in midweek. The visitors took the lead after three minutes. Buffel’s cross found Flamini who nodded the ball into the patch of Elmander who beat the keeper at the near post for his tenth of the season. Rangers failed to capitalise on their fast start though, and hardly troubled the defence further as the went to the break up 1-0.

The second half continued in the vein of the first, with the only ‘highlight’ coming with the dismissal of Ian Maxwell for the home side shortly after the hour for two bookable offences. Rangers put the game to bed on 70 minutes, Flamini finishing well with his left foot from Adam’s cross. 90 seconds later it was 3-0, Elmander grabbing a second with a fine header from Buffel’s cross. There was no further addition to the score and Rangers recorded another comfortable victory, increasing their lead to 12 points over the idle Celtic who play the next day.

Gers complete Elmander coup

Rangers announced this afternoon they have agreed a deal to sign on loan Swedish striker Johan Elmander on a permanent basis. The striker has impressed in his spell with the league leaders, scoring eleven goals in fourteen appearances in all competitions, with seven league goals. The fee to bring the 24 year-old to Ibrox permanently was not announced, but is believed to be around ₤4 million. Hudgson and the player were delighted to secure his signature. ‘Johan has done brilliantly for us since he arrived and I was very keen to tie up a deal for him before other clubs started sniffing about. He will continue to develop and mature here and should be a fine player for Rangers for many years to come.’

Said Elmander ‘It’s true when I came here I was not sure this was the best move for me, but I just wanted to play regular football and I’ve got that here. The facilities and supporters are fantastic, so once Rangers said they wanted me permanently I was happy to stay. I enjoy working with Mr Hudgson and believe under his guidance Rangers can win many trophies. Already this season we are doing well in the league and one cup, and one other cup to go. Also in Europe we have been playing well. Hopefully we can win some trophies for ourselves and our fans.’

Falkirk 0 vs. Rangers 2

A lethargic Rangers were comprehensively outplayed in the first half of this league encounter, and Hudgson could consider his side lucky to go in goalless at the break.

The manager’s half-time spray had some effect, as the title-chasers took the lead eight minutes into the second half. Dagoberto, back from injury played the ball perfectly across the box for Elmander to celebrate his permanent move with a goal. The Brazilian got himself on the scoresheet ten minutes later, latching onto Svensson’s lofted through ball to calmly tuck it away.

2-0 it finished, leaving Rangers full of confidence before the derby next week. The match also saw the final appearance of Phil Bardsley, with the full-back returning to Manchester United after a highly successful loan spell with the club. Hudgson payed tribute to the young man ‘It’s a measure of how good Phil can be that United wanted him back, we tried to sign him permanently but Phil wants to give it a go at Old Trafford. I can’t blame him for that, but I still haven’t given up hope of negotiating a new loan deal until the end of the season. If this was Phil’s last game with us I say thank you and well done.’

Hudgson was also quizzed about the impending opening of the transfer window and Rangers’ possible dealings. ‘The permanent deal for Johan has basically used up all our funds. With Phil leaving, I still want another right-back, but it may have to be another loan deal. There’ll be the usual silly rumours about players leaving here, but I don’t want to lose anyone from the squad. So, one addition perhaps, but definitely no departures’

St. Mirren 0 vs. Rangers 3

Bottom of the league St. Mirren were the opponents as Rangers continued their march to the title. A host of regulars returned to the line-up after their rest in midweek. The visitors took the lead after three minutes. Buffel’s cross found Flamini who nodded the ball into the patch of Elmander who beat the keeper at the near post for his tenth of the season. Rangers failed to capitalise on their fast start though, and hardly troubled the defence further as the went to the break up 1-0.

The second half continued in the vein of the first, with the only ‘highlight’ coming with the dismissal of Ian Maxwell for the home side shortly after the hour for two bookable offences. Rangers put the game to bed on 70 minutes, Flamini finishing well with his left foot from Adam’s cross. 90 seconds later it was 3-0, Elmander grabbing a second with a fine header from Buffel’s cross. There was no further addition to the score and Rangers recorded another comfortable victory, increasing their lead to 12 points over the idle Celtic who play the next day.

Gers complete Elmander coup

Rangers announced this afternoon they have agreed a deal to sign on loan Swedish striker Johan Elmander on a permanent basis. The striker has impressed in his spell with the league leaders, scoring eleven goals in fourteen appearances in all competitions, with seven league goals. The fee to bring the 24 year-old to Ibrox permanently was not announced, but is believed to be around ₤4 million. Hudgson and the player were delighted to secure his signature. ‘Johan has done brilliantly for us since he arrived and I was very keen to tie up a deal for him before other clubs started sniffing about. He will continue to develop and mature here and should be a fine player for Rangers for many years to come.’

Said Elmander ‘It’s true when I came here I was not sure this was the best move for me, but I just wanted to play regular football and I’ve got that here. The facilities and supporters are fantastic, so once Rangers said they wanted me permanently I was happy to stay. I enjoy working with Mr Hudgson and believe under his guidance Rangers can win many trophies. Already this season we are doing well in the league and one cup, and one other cup to go. Also in Europe we have been playing well. Hopefully we can win some trophies for ourselves and our fans.’

Falkirk 0 vs. Rangers 2

A lethargic Rangers were comprehensively outplayed in the first half of this league encounter, and Hudgson could consider his side lucky to go in goalless at the break.

The manager’s half-time spray had some effect, as the title-chasers took the lead eight minutes into the second half. Dagoberto, back from injury played the ball perfectly across the box for Elmander to celebrate his permanent move with a goal. The Brazilian got himself on the scoresheet ten minutes later, latching onto Svensson’s lofted through ball to calmly tuck it away.

2-0 it finished, leaving Rangers full of confidence before the derby next week. The match also saw the final appearance of Phil Bardsley, with the full-back returning to Manchester United after a highly successful loan spell with the club. Hudgson payed tribute to the young man ‘It’s a measure of how good Phil can be that United wanted him back, we tried to sign him permanently but Phil wants to give it a go at Old Trafford. I can’t blame him for that, but I still haven’t given up hope of negotiating a new loan deal until the end of the season. If this was Phil’s last game with us I say thank you and well done.’

Hudgson was also quizzed about the impending opening of the transfer window and Rangers’ possible dealings. ‘The permanent deal for Johan has basically used up all our funds. With Phil leaving, I still want another right-back, but it may have to be another loan deal. There’ll be the usual silly rumours about players leaving here, but I don’t want to lose anyone from the squad. So, one addition perhaps, but definitely no departures’

Rangers vs. Celtic

And so to the first home derby of the season for Rangers. Celtic would surely be out for revenge, having been humiliated 4-0 on their own ground in the previous encounter. With Bardsley departed, Alan Hutton resumed at right-back, whilst Chris Burke and Lee Martin returned on the wings in place of the recently very impressive Thomas Buffel and Charlie Adam, neither of whom made the 18.

Both teams were in magnificent form leading into the match, Rangers with eight straight league wins, and Celtic a superb ten wins in a row. Celtic started brighter, but after the first few minutes Rangers began to exert their influence. However, a host of missed chances was to haunt them four minutes before the break. A bad mistake from Hutton saw the ball laid on a platter for Vennegoor of Hesselink and even Klos could do nothing to prevent Celtic from taking the lead into half-time.

A substitution just before the hour mark provided the hosts with a way back into the game. Prso, on for the disappointing Dagoberto needed just 2 minutes to bring Rangers level. With twenty minutes left the Croatian thought he’d set up a goal, but the linesman’s flag denied Elmander. With fourteen minutes to go Rangers were not to be denied though. Another substitute, Christian Grindheim, sprung the offside trap to send Prso away and this time his pass to Elmander was perfectly timed for the Swede to finish. With eight minutes left though, Celtic earned themselves a point through Neil Lennon who finished from close range following another mistake from Hutton. Hudgson was disappointed but not shattered ‘ They haven’t gained any ground on us today and we were by far the better side, we just couldn’t make the most of our chances. We are still firmly in control of this league.’

Buffel proves manager a liar

Luke Hudgson’s assertion that there would be ‘definitely no departures’ from Rangers during January was proven false today as Belgian international Thomas Buffel departed the club, bound for English Premiership club West Ham. The player netted Rangers ₤4.5 million. Buffel had enjoyed a mixed season impressing strongly in recent weeks after seeing little game time in the first few months of the campaign. When asked why he let Buffel go, Hudgson replied ‘Shades of the Godfather really. They made us an offer we couldn’t refuse. With the money brought in we can probably get two, maybe three players so it’s a good deal for us. Thomas was not first choice so the fee offered was not something we could turn down really. Once we left it up to Thomas, he agreed fairly smartly to move on. Now I get to see what I can come up with over the next few weeks.’

Hudgson did announce one signing, largely unknown Dutch full-back Istvan Bakx from Dutch side Kloetinge for ₤10,000. ‘Istvan is one for the future. He may or may not develop into a first-teamer, but six months acclimatising will give us a glimpse of his talent next season.’

Rangers 7 vs. Arbroath 0 – Scottish FA Cup 3rd Round

Bakx was handed an earlier than expected debut as Rangers entertained the 3rd division side, as Hudgson rang the changes from the Celtic match. The home side took the lead on nine minutes, a goalmouth scramble eventually leading to Sionko firing the ball into the far corner. Diego Tristan doubled the lead on twenty minutes, finishing well from Prso’s cross for his tenth of the season. Sionko got a second five minutes from the break, heading in from Adam’s corner to send Rangers into half-time 3-0 in front.

Kris Boyd got a goal ten minutes into the second half, found with a marvellous pass from Grindheim. The Norwegian got himself on the scoresheet three minutes later, giving the keeper no chance with a curling free-kick into the to corner. Sionko completed a hat-trick on 66 minutes, putting the ball away after fine lead up play from Alan Hutton. Dado Prso got the seventh, oddly enough with seven minutes left to complete the rout and Rangers’ biggest win under Hudgson.

Barthez requests Ranger leave

Legendary French goalkeeper Fabien Barthez had his transfer request accepted by Rangers today. The 34 year-old, who surprised many by signing for the Ibrox club 6 months ago, cited a lack of first team football as the reason behind his request. Manager Luke Hudgson, in accepting the request said he sympathised with the player It’s been hard for Fabien. He started very well, but then picked up an injury. That coincided with Stefan Klos returning and he’s been so good Fabien has found himself on the bench. At this stage in his career he want to play, which is fair enough, and we get a bit more money to spend.’

Hudgson also revealed he was in negotiations to sign young Fulham full-back Liam Rosenior on loan until the end of the season, as well as pursuing an interest in Blackburn Rovers duo Lucas Neill and Morten Gamst Pedersen ‘We’ve had an offer accepted by Fulham but Liam has a few on the table so we’re hopeful he’ll choose us. As for the Blackburn players, that may be something that has to wait until the summer, although in Neill’s case it’s probably now or never. Morten has indicated he’d like to come, but I don’t know if we can afford what Blackburn are asking.’

Motherwell 2 vs. Rangers 3

The morning of the match saw the announcement of Barthez’ departure as he rejoined former club Marseille for ₤1.2 million. As for the current crop, most of the big guns returned after being left out of the cup match. However, both Sionko and Grindheim did enough to keep out Burke and Flamini respectively.

Prso it was who gave Rangers the lead on twenty-five minutes, getting on the end of Elmander’s knock down and finishing with aplomb. That was the major action of a poor first half, as Rangers coasted into the break untroubled in defence, leading 1-0.

A lethargic Rangers were eventually punished on 68 minutes when Ross McCormack equalised for Motherwell. The goal seemed to spark the visitors back to life though, and with fifteen minutes remaining substitute Dagoberto saw them regain the lead with a fine effort into the far corner. Slack defending with six minutes left saw the lead lost for a second time, as Shaun Fagan found the net for the home side. With two minutes left, the captain saved Rangers’ blushes, Barry Ferguson getting what proved to be the winner. Post-match saw Hudgson breathing a sigh of relief ‘Barry’s got us out of jail there. I thought we’d thrown it away not once but twice. Coupled with the Celtic result (Hibs won 1-0 at Parkhead) it’s turned into a great day for us. 12 points ahead, we can only throw it away now.’

Hudgson secures controversial loan signing

In a move sure to raise eyebrows, Rangers have signed Bulgarian international and former Celtic favourite Stilian Petrov on loan from English Premiership side Aston Villa until the end of the season. There was no press discussion to announce the move, merely a club statement. This is perhaps an indicator of the club recognising the controversy surrounding the move.

Another Brazilian signs on at Ibrox

Luke Hudgson unveiled his second samba signing since arriving at Rangers, full-back Cicinho. The player has joined from Spanish giants Real Madrid for ₤2.9 million on a three-year contract. The manager was ecstatic to secure a player of such high pedigree ‘Cicinho is a marvellous player. He’s one of the best full-backs in the world going forward and it’s a real coup for Rangers to secure him. I don’t know if Rangers would be top of his clubs of choice list but being frozen out at Madrid certainly benefited us. he’ll take a few games to get match fit but I’m confident he’ll be a great signing for us. that’s probably it for us now this window. Stilian will replace Buffel whilst Cicinho is in for Bardsley. Young Allan McGregor will cover Stefan so I think we’re set. Possibly a centre-half, maybe on loan with Vermaelen getting injured yesterday and missing for about a month.’

Speaking through an interpreter, the player seemed positive ‘I am proud to be at Rangers. This club has won many titles and I hope to help it win more. I spoke to Dagoberto before moving and he said the manager, players and fans are superb and I should come. He said to enjoy the sun in Spain before I left though as there is not much here!’

Rangers 3 vs. Kilmarnock 0

Lacking match fitness, Petrov had to be content with a place on the bench, but Cicinho went straight into the line-up despite the same problem. The runaway league leaders went in front on twenty minutes, Dagoberto’s perfectly weighted pass played Sionko in and the Czech continued his recent good form with his ninth goal of the season.

A blow for Rangers on 24 minutes, as Flamini limped off to be replaced by Adam. A blow for Killie came when Gordon Greer was sent off just after the half hour for a professional foul on Elmander. Rangers were unable to make the extra man count in the first half and went to the break ahead by Sionko’s goal. A second goal for Rangers came on 66 minutes when Elmander nodded in Martin’s cross. That was the cue for a tiring Cicinho to exit, to a rousing ovation from the Ibrox faithful. Dagoberto got himself on the scoresheet with 13 minutes left, also with his head form a Martin cross.

3-0 it finished on another satisfying afternoon for Hudgson ‘Johan and Berto are playing really well together at the moment. Their movement is a joy to watch. Cicinho did well, you could see the lack of matches catching up with him in the second half. Mathieu has picked up a groin problem unfortunately and will miss at least a fortnight. He and Barry have been great fixtures for us this season. However, Christian Grindheim is a marvellous player and I’ve no doubt he’ll do very well.’

Rangers 4 vs. Dundee Utd 0

Grindheim was to have replaced the injured Flamini in the Gers line-up. However, the Norwegian managed to get injured on international duty which meant Stilian Petrov came into the side to make his debut. Ian Murray also came in, in the unfamiliar position of centre-back after Julien Rodriguez joined Vermaelen on the sidelines.

A good start for the home side as they went ahead after nine minutes, Sionko converting from the spot after Dagoberto was felled. The Brazilian scored himself after 21 minutes to double the advantage, set up by his front partner Elmander. A comfortable 20 minutes followed as Rangers took a 2-0 lead into half-time.

Dagoberto’s second goal came eight minutes after the break as he headed in Sionko’s free-kick. Johan Elmander completed the scoring in injury time, heading in the impressive Steven Smith’s cross to complete a 4-0 romp. ‘That was great performance today, one of our best for the season. Stilian did well for his debut and Cicinho will only get better and better. We’ve got the cup on Tuesday and hopefully we can secure a final for the fans.’

Dundee Utd 5 vs. Rangers 1 – CIS Cup S/F

Disaster for Rangers just four minutes in when Svensson conceded a penalty by pulling down Brewster when clean through. A double blow was the subsequent red card for the Swede, further depleting the centre-half stocks. A less than fully fit Rodriguez had to be summoned from the bench, with Elmander sacrificed. Brewster himself converted the penalty. Dundee Utd doubled the lead on twenty minutes, McCracken getting on the end of a free-kick to beat Klos.

Rangers put themselves back in the contest three minutes later when Sionko scored after Petrov’s shot was saved. However, on the half-hour United re-established a two goal lead, Montecinos curling in a marvellous free-kick. Dundee United took that 3-1 lead into the break.

The game was finished two minutes after the break when Ian Murray dithered in possession, and the passage of play that followed resulted in Barry Callaghan scoring to make it 4-1. The humiliation was completed with ten minutes left as Brewster got a second, sending Rangers out of the cup and condemning them to their first defeat with Hudgson in charge. The manager seemed unconcerned with that fact, more ropable with the display of his players ‘That was completely unacceptable and embarrassing today. I apologise to our fans. No-one played well. Stefan Klos picked a good day to have his worst game of the season, when we were likely to be under pressure. He didn’t save anything. Karl Svensson bears a lot of blame as well. We are already short at centre-half, and him getting sent off exacerbates the problem. Julien did his best, but was not fit enough for eighty-five minutes. All in all, a disastrous day for us. We now focus on the Scottish Cup on Saturday and hopefully a vast improvement.’

Gretna 2 vs. Rangers 2 – Scottish Cup 4th Round

Some good news came with the news that Svensson’s ban was overturned on appeal, so he partnered Rodriguez in central defence. 4 other changes were made to the starting XI after the disastrous showing at Hampden in midweek.

Rangers started like a team with their confidence dented, and too around twenty minutes to relax. The signs of this were evident on 23 minutes when they took the lead. Petrov got his first goal for the club, finishing well at the near post from Sionko’s low cross. Five minutes later it was two. Elmander was the scorer, well supplied by Diego Tristan. Two horrible defensive mistakes gifted Gretna the chances to level before half-time. On both occasions, Peter MacDonald was the beneficiary. First Barry Ferguson underhit a backpass straight into his path, leaving Klos with no chance. Then Klos himself made big error, coming out to grab a throw and completely missing it, allowing the home side to go into the break on level terms.

Rangers continued to struggle through the second half and were unable to find a winning goal. The closest they came was Prso having a header disallowed late on for offside. They now suffer the indignity of a replay at Ibrox net week. A challenging time for Hudgson, as the team goes through its first slump during his reign. Said the boss ‘Credit to Gretna they worked very hard today, but we were absolutely diabolical again. Barry Ferguson is playing the worst football I have ever seen but because of injuries I have to keep picking him. We desperately need to strengthen in the summer. I hope the chairman makes funds available. We simply must win next weekend, we need the boost with Europe coming up after this replay.’

Rangers 8 vs. Gretna 1 – Scottish Cup 4th Round Replay

A welcome sight for Gers fans was the return of Mathieu Flamini on the substitutes bench for this clash. The Frenchman had missed three weeks with a groin problem. Nerves were calmed 90 seconds in when Gary McKenzie put through his own net to give Rangers the lead. It was 2-0 after five minutes when Sionko powered in a shot from Dagoberto’s driven low cross. The Brazilian made it 3-0 on the quarter hour, finishing well after a fine run. An incredible first 20 mins was capped when Charlie Adam converted from the spot after Innes felled Dagoberto.

A second own goal put Rangers five in front ten minutes from the break. Then Johan Elmander popped up with a three minute double to send Ranger fans and manager into dreamland as they went to half time an incredible 7-0 in front.

Not surprisingly, the second half failed to match the first in terms of excitement, the only addition to the score coming three minutes from time when Lee Martin pounced on slack defending to score. Hudgson was suitably pleased to get back on track ‘Gretna were not interested today so you can’t read a lot into the scoreline. They’d accomplished their goal simply in getting a replay. What is important from today is the boost in confidence it has given the lads. We can look forward to Europe with renewed hope now.’

The day was made sweeter by Celtic’s 4-1 defeat by Aberdeen in the league, meaning Rangers maintain a 12 point lead but with a game in hand over their rivals now.

Club Brugge 0 vs. Rangers 1 – UEFA Cup 1st Knockout Round 1st Leg

A magnificent rearguard action provided Rangers with a vital win in their quest to make the last 16. A Charlie Adam penalty in the first minute gave Rangers a precious away goal and they were able to maintain that lead for the rest of the game.

Brugge can consider themselves unlucky, as in the second half especially they were largely dominant, but just lacked that little bit of luck needed to find a goal. The Rangers defence was superbly marshalled by Julien Rodriguez, who turned in his finest performance of the season. Hudgson was obviously pleased to get the win. ‘The penalty was a dream start for us, but I felt we sat back a bit too much during the second half particularly. We were lucky that they didn’t punish us for it. However, we’ve got a lead and that will allow us to play in a more relaxed fashion in the 2nd leg. They have to come at us. Julien was magnificent tonight. He’s been marvellous all season, never complaining about not being selected. Thomas’ (Vermaelen) injury has given him a chance and he’s done very well for himself and the club.’

Rangers 2 vs. Dunfermline 1

Chris Burke returned to the starting line-up for the first time in over a month, as Sionko got a well-earned rest. Thursday’s hero Charlie Adam was also left out, as Martin was preferred on the left wing and Flamini in the centre.

A dominating performance from Rangers followed, but they were left mopping their brows with relief after scraping a 2-1 win that failed to reflect their superiority. In fact, the home side went behind after just two minutes when Jim Hamilton beat Klos a little too easily at the near post. The remaining 43 minutes of the first half saw Rangers absolutely batter the visiting side but the heroics of de Vries in goal saw Dunfermline keep their lead at half time.

The equaliser came five minutes after the break when Dado Prso found space at the back post to nod home. More relentless pressure ensued and the winner eventually came with eighteen minutes left. Prso again, this time combining with sub Diego Tristan to score his 11th of the season. Hudgson hypothesised that Europe was playing on the team’s mind ‘We looked nervous today, and maybe Europe has something to do with that. However, we kept persevering and eventually got our reward. Dado continues to be a marvellous player for this club, his goals this season have been invaluable.’

Rangers (1) 4 vs. Club Brugge (0) 1 – UEFA Cup 1st Knockout Round 2nd Leg – Rangers win 5-1 on aggregate

Barry Ferguson was suspended for the second leg of this tie, meaning Petrov partnered Flamini in central midfield due to Grindheim’s ineligibility.

A confident and efficient performance ensured the Scottish side’s place in the last 16. Things started well when in the third minute Flamini headed in Petrov’s corner for the first of the night. The home side doubled their lead on 18 minutes when the defence failed to cut out Klos’ long kick which fell for Prso to round the keeper and score. The third goal came just past the half hour, when Dagoberto fizzed a cross to the far post for Lee Martin to head home from two yards out.

Brugge gave themselves some hope of a comeback in first half injury time when Denis Oliech scored from close range. That hope was snuffed out ten minutes after the break when Steven Smith curled in a superb free-kick from 30 yards to make it 4-1 on the night, 5-1 on aggregate. The last thirty minutes was a non event, as both sides knew the tie was over. Rangers march on, and will play Greek side Olympiakos in the next round. ‘The early goals really settled us down tonight and allowed us to play the way we wanted to. The last 16 was the requirement I had set us in my mind, so anything now I see as a bonus for us. now we go and try and sew up this league title as soon as we can’

Tristan wants out

Diego Tristan had his transfer request accepted by Rangers boss Luke Hudgson this morning. The Spaniard cited a desire for greater first team action as the reason behind his decision. Hudgson accepted the request without hesitation, saying he had grown tired of Tristan’s antics ‘This is the second time Diego has complained to the press and I will not tolerate nay more of it. He is free to leave as soon as we get a suitable offer for him. We are well covered up front with Elmander, Dagoberto, Prso, Boyd and young Filip Sebo who hasn’t featured at al this season’

Inverness CT 0 vs. Rangers 1

Rangers travelled to sixth placed Thistle, attempting to maintain their superb league run. They did so, barely, needing an injury time winner from Elmander to overcome a spirited Inverness side. The win, coupled with Celtic’s draw at Hearts sees Rangers 11 points clear with two games in hand.

Rangers 2 vs. Dunfermline 0 – Scottish Cup Q/F

Fixture congestion saw this match scheduled in a international midweek depriving Rangers of Steven Smith, Adam, Flamini, Burke, Murray, Sionko and Ferguson. Young Lewis Stevenson came in at left-back as a result, whilst Prso was forced to play on the right wing.

The absentees had little effect on the result as Rangers cruised through to the semi-final where they will play Airdrie, who earlier in the competition knocked out Celtic. The win was secured by a double from Johan Elmander. The first goal came on fifteen minutes, as the Swede headed in from Petrov’s free-kick. The second, on 24 minutes came from good lead-up play from Dado Prso. The striker, who put in a good shift in the unfamiliar position out wide played a lovely through ball that Elmander ran away with to beat the keeper. Hudgson was pleased with the performance in less than ideal circumstances ‘It was poor scheduling from the FA but fortunately we’ve shown great spirit and determination to get through. We’ve got a good chance in the competition and we want to make the most of it.’

Rangers 2 vs. St. Mirren 1

Cellar dwellers St. Mirren visited Ibrox and proved to be a tricky test for the runaway leaders, as they hung on for a 2-1 win. First half goals from Dagoberto and Sionko were enough to hold off the fast finishing visitors. Simon Lappin scored a wonderful goal for the visitors to give them hope of salvaging a point, but it was not to be. The scrappy win was made more important by Celtic being held at home by Falkirk, moving the title ever closer for Rangers. Said Hudgson ‘We’re getting closer, and you can see the players are aware of that. The fluency has not been there in our last few league matches. We’ll need to find it on Thursday though, as Olympiakos will be a very tough opponent.’

Rangers 0 vs. Olympiakos 0 – UEFA Cup 2nd Knockout Round 1st Leg

Rangers have a lot or work to do if they are to make the last eight after being held at home by Olympiakos. The Greeks were second best for most of the match but Rangers couldn’t convert their superiority into goals as they failed to score for the first time under Hudgson’s reign. The best chances fell to the strikers, with Elmander and Dagoberto guilty of missing some golden opportunities

The manager was a frustrated man post-match ‘We could, and should have put this to bed tonight. With the amount of chances squandered I was having visions of them having one attack and pinching a win. Thankfully that didn’t happen. A goal for us early on there changes the whole tie, so we’re still in with a good chance.’

Hearts 1 vs. Rangers 3

Celtic’s defeat the previous day at home to Kilmarnock meant Rangers could go 14 points clear with two games in hand, something they were extremely keen to achieve. They duly did so, recording a comfortable win.

An even first half unfolded, but the game turned when the visitors broke through with one minute left. Takis Fyssas brought down Dagoberto in the box and was sent off. The Brazilian picked himself up to score the penalty, his 20th goal of the season. Lee Martin scored Rangers’ second and his fifth of the season on the hour, nodding in Smith’s corner. Karypidis gave the ten men hope with a wonderful run and shot to bring it back to 2-1. Dagoberto put the game away with five minutes remaining with his second goal, getting on the end of a Lee Martin pass. The young winger had a superb game, with a hand in all three goals. ‘Lee is going to be, and already is to a degree a fabulous player. We’ve no chance of keeping him here, as he’ll definitely be involved in the first team at Manchester United.’ said manager Hudgson, speaking post-match.

Olympiakos (0) 1 vs. Rangers (0) 3 – UEFA Cup 2nd Knockout Round 2nd Leg – Rangers win 3-1 on aggregate

The biggest game of the season saw Rangers travel to Greece with the European dreams hanging in the balance. They produced a performance befitting the stakes, securing a memorable win and a place in the quarter-finals.

The evening started badly for Rangers, with Konstantinou putting the home side in front on fifteen minutes. The next few minutes saw Rangers absorb sustained pressure, Klos magnificent in denying the home side. On 32 minutes Rangers equalised. Rodriguez’ header from a corner was spilled by the keeper and hit the unfortunate Ronald Gomez for an own goal. That lifted Rangers, and they finished the half the stronger.

A managerial masterstroke was to prove crucial. Prso was replaced by Elmander at half-time and two goals in eight minutes from the Swede settled the tie. Played in on both occasions by Dagoberto, the striker showed ice-cool nerves to beat the keeper and secure a famous win for Rangers. The boss was proud of his players ‘They’ve done the club proud tonight. I wasn’t sure we could do it but we showed great character to hag in after they scored and we deserve our win.’

Rangers will play German side Leverkusen in the quarter-finals

Rangers 2 vs. Falkirk 1

After the high of Thursday a let-down was probably inevitable, and this proved to be true. The home side needed an injury time winner from Dado Prso to pick up full points and continue towards what is now surely inevitable title success. 16 points clear of Celtic with two games in hand, the league is all but won.

Things started slowly for the home side and as a result it was slightly surprising when Kris Boyd gave them the lead on 19 minutes. Makela equalised for Falkirk on 30 minutes via a wonderful counter-attack and the game meandered a bit from then on.

It came to life in the last quarter of an hour as Rangers searched for a winner. It finally arrived, courtesy of a Falkirk error. The defender dithered too long on the ball and was dispossessed by Prso who ran away to calmly beat the keeper to secure the win. Another vital goal from the Croatian, as many of his strikes this season have been.

Aberdeen 1 vs. Rangers 3

2 games in 3 days saw the pack shuffled, as Cicinho, Svensson, Flamini, Ferguson, Burke, Martin & Prso came into the XI. The changes worked as another day went by with another league victory for the leaders.

Prso was again to the fore, opening the scoring after 35 seconds with a brilliant long range effort into the top corner. Aberdeen were giving as good as they got in the early stages and it was no surprise that they drew level through Steve Lovell on 15 minutes. The game continued to ebb and flow until Rangers finally went back in front with five minutes to go. Prso grabbed a double, nodding in at the far post from Martin’s fine ball.

The Croatian completed the scoring, securing his hat-trick in injury time after Sionko’s shot was deflected into his path. Hudgson was effusive in his praise of the veteran forward ‘Dado is such a valuable player for us to have. He is the consummate professional, just getting on with his job and getting us vital goals when we need them. He can be proud of his season.’

Rangers 4 vs. Motherwell 0

Several regulars were rested ahead of European action in midweek. Those that came in did the job as Rangers cruised to another easy win.

Dado Prso made it five in three games, latching onto Cicinho’s fine pass to open the scoring on four minutes. On 12 minutes it was two for player and club, this time Prso was set up by Christian Grindheim’s well-weighted ball and a hesitant keeper who stayed on his line. The Norwegian got himself on the scoresheet on 23 minutes as Ian Murray’s long throw was missed by everyone and the unmarked Grindheim finished easily at the back stick.

Grindheim got a second shortly after the hour, well found in the box by sub Kris Boyd and firing hard into the bottom right corner. 4-0 it finished but tragic news followed the match with the revelation that the red-hot Prso will miss about two weeks with a knee problem, ruling him out of the Leverkusen tie. Said the manager ‘It’s a blow for us, no question. I’m not quite sure who’ll partner Elmander now, as Dagoberto is not quite fully fit yet. As for today we played well again, there’s not much I can say about the league now we’re just marking time until we wrap it up. Most of our focus is on Europe.’

Leverkusen 3 vs. Rangers 4 – UEFA Cup Q/F 1st Leg

Dagoberto was deemed fit enough to start as Rangers sought a decent result away from home. What they got was their finest victory of the season.

European talisman Elmander opened the scoring on 21 minutes when he lofted a beautiful chip over the stranded Butt in goal. This led to Leverkusen dominating the rest of the half, which culminated in a five minute double giving them the lead. Firstly Kiebling with the equaliser and then Roque Junior heading in the third successive corner.

Hudgson worked his magic at half-time, and his charges responded by equalising four minutes after the break through Barry Ferguson. The captain’s speculative effort deflected off Juan for the slice of luck Rangers needed. The goal lifted the visitors and they proceeded to dominate the remainder of the game. Elmander put them in front with 12 minutes left after fine interplay with Dagoberto and the Brazilian made it 4-2 with a stooping header in the last minute. In stoppage time though, Voronin gave Leverkusen renewed hope with a third goal for the home side.

Hudgson was overjoyed with the win, but a little ticked off at conceding so late ‘it’s brilliant to come here and win. I would have taken an away goal to be honest with you, or a scoring draw. To win is a testament to the grit and determination of the lads. They’ve done marvellously well. We’re in a great position to go through now.’

Hibernian 1 vs. Rangers 2

The absurdity that is this game saw Rangers travelling to Hibs the day after their European exertions, followed by a Scottish Cup match on the Sunday. However, the taxing efforts would be worth it as a win would secure the title for Rangers.

A sluggish start was overcome when Rangers took the lead on 26 minutes. Martin floated a cross over which Ferguson met with his head, only for the ball to hit the bar. However, the rebound fell perfectly for the skipper to score his sixth of the season. Rangers more or less cruised along after that, but must have thought that they’d thrown it away when Hibs equalised in the 91st minute through Oumar Konte. Not to be denied though, they went straight back down the pitch from the kick-off where a scramble resulted in Elmander scoring the goal that clinches the title. The final whistle was the cue for wild celebrations on the pitch, in the dugout and in the stands amongst the travelling fans.

Rookie boss wins over doubters

After securing the league championship tonight, Luke Hudgson seems to have won over even his most stringent of critics who mocked his appointment back in July. With the league already secured, there is still a chance for two more trophies for the inexperienced manager, as tomorrow Rangers take on Airdrie for a place in the Cup final, and are 4-3 in front of Leverkusen ahead of the home leg of their UEFA Cup Quarter-Final. The boss was happy with the season so far, but also looking to the future.

‘It’s marvellous to win the league so early, it’s a fantastic effort by the players. We can’t relax yet though, as we can still win two other competitions. Also we can try and achieve the feat of going unbeaten trough the league season, another fantastic effort if we can manage it. I can use the remaining league matches to make my mind up about some players as well, as inevitably there will be some who move on in the summer. But today is a great day, and we will enjoy our success.’

Airdrie 1 vs. Rangers 4 – Scottish Cup S/F

The congestion of fixtures meant an under-strength side took the field. Stevenson was again picked at left-back, whilst Filip Sebo made his full debut up front as Rangers eased into the final against cup holders Hearts with a comprehensive win.

Goals from Petrov, Adam via a penalty, Sionko and Diego Tristan cancelled out Prunty’s fine individual effort. So Rangers now have the chance to complete a domestic double, a fact not lost on the manager ‘At the start of the season I was looking at the domestic competitions as trophies we should aim for. The prospect of winning two of them means we have had a successful campaign.’

Rangers (4) 1 vs. Leverkusen (3) 2 – UEFA Cup Q/F 2nd leg – Rangers win on away goals

Rangers came into the second leg heavily favoured after their superb win in Germany last week. They did manage to get through, limping across the line thanks to Chris Burke’s 88th minute strike. Schultens and Kiebling put Leverkusen up 2-0 at half-time, an adequate reflection of their dominance.

Rangers improved significantly in the second half, but it looked like they were going out until burke got on the end of Murray’s very deep cross to send Ibrox into raptures. The semi-final sees Rangers pitted against Sporting Lisbon of Portugal. Hudgson was a very relived man ‘Leverkusen played us off the park tonight and we’re lucky to scrape through. To reach the semi-finals is a great effort and once you get to this stage you have to think you can win it. I don’t see why we can’t although we’ll have to improve significantly on tonight’s showing.’

Celtic 2 vs. Rangers 2

The third derby of the season offered Celtic the chance to salvage some pride from a disastrous season so far. The title already decided, last in their Champions’ League Group and out early in the two cups meant the pressure was on to get a win against their great rivals.

It was not to be for the home side, as a late penalty earned Rangers a point. Celtic took the lead in first half injury time through Vennegoor of Hesselink, but Rangers pulled level five minutes after the break through Dagoberto’s 23rd goal of the season. Celtic thought they had secured the win with Thomas Gravesen’s 75th minute strike but Rangers kept at it an were rewarded.

Lee Martin was felled by Kenny Cunningham, who earned a red card for the foul and young Istvan Bakx, on as a sub converted the spot-kick to make it 2-2. Bad news for Rangers came with Dagoberto picking up a knock that may see him miss European action.

Tristan agrees German move

Spanish forward Diego Tristan agreed to a ₤2 million summer move to Bundesliga club Kaiserslautern today, it was announced. Tristan, who joined Rangers last summer on a free transfer had requested to leave the Glasgow club about a month ago. Manager Luke Hudgson was philosophical about his departure ‘Diego has been a good contributor for the club this season but his whining about not playing was starting to be a problem. This is a good deal for us, a two million profit on a free signing allows us to strengthen the squad elsewhere as I feel we’re well covered up front with Elmander, Dagoberto, Prso, Boyd & Sebo.’

Kilmarnock 1 vs. Rangers 2

Two goals in two minutes after half-time settled a game Kilmarnock can feel aggrieved not to have got something from. Johan Elmander opened the scoring when he put in the rebound from Sebo’s well-saved shot.

Straight from the kick-off the lead was doubled. This time the roles were reversed as Sebo scored from a saved Elmander shot. Killie pushed hard and got some reward for their efforts with a late goal, but Rangers hung on to secure the points and move one step closer to an unbeaten league season.

Aberdeen 1 vs. Rangers 5

The first game following the ‘split’ saw Rangers take on Aberdeen at Pittodrie. Cicinho returned to the line-up following injury, in timely fashion with the UEFA Cup semi on Thursday night. A brilliant second half saw the visitors score a massive win.

Filip Sebo opened the scoring on 57 minutes before Steve Lovell equalised for the home side. Sub Dado Prso, back from injury put Rangers back in front with 18 minutes to go. Johan Elmander then grabbed a five minute double before Flamini rounded things off with a goal in stoppage time. Hudgson was pleased with the display ahead of Thursday’s big game in Lisbon ‘It’s important to go into the Sporting match full of confidence and today has done that for us. Johan is in red-hot form which is great with ‘Berto out. Dado has re-injured hiss knee so will be missing on Thursday, which means there is pressure on Sebo but he’s done well in the last few matches so he’ll play ahead of Boyd.’

Sporting Lisbon 2 vs. Rangers 3 – UEFA Cup S/F 1st Leg

Rangers have given themselves a great chance of qualifying for their first UEFA Cup final, recording a marvellous win in Portugal tonight.

A dream start for the visitors came after just 40 seconds when Sebo and Elmander combined for the Swede to score. Rangers had the better of the early exchanges but Sporting came back into the match and equalised on 32 minutes through Liedson. That was to remain the score until half-time.

Ten minutes after the break Rangers went back in front. Elmander again was the scorer, this time set up by a wonderful pass from Barry Ferguson and finishing from a difficult angle. The striker completed a marvellous hat-trick on 68 minutes when he got on the end of a Smith free-kick for his twentieth goal since completing his permanent move and his 32nd overall of a magnificent season. Sporting got a late goal through Carlos Bueno but it is Rangers who have the tie firmly under their control heading into the second leg.

Rangers 3 vs. Hearts 1

The march towards an unbeaten season continued with a 3-1 win against Hearts. Paul Hartley put Hearts ahead before a double from the irrepressible Elmander gave Rangers the half-time lead. Barry Ferguson, on as a second half substitute, completed the scoring to take Rangers to 99 points and 101 goals for the league season.

Post-match saw Hudgson announce that he had terminated Stilian Petrov’s loan contract, whilst praising Elmander ‘We were never going to sign Stilian permanently anyway and he wasn’t playing. It made sense to let him go and get his wages off the bill. Johan has been a terrific acquisition for us and his form since the new year has been magnificent. Let’s hope he can keep it up in the next few matches to finish the campaign in style.’

Rangers (3) 4 vs. Sporting Lisbon (2) 0 – UEFA Cup S/F 2nd leg – Rangers win 7-2 on aggregate

Rangers romped into the UEFA Cup final with a superb victory over Sporting at Ibrox tonight. The game was settled inside the opening half hour with a hat-trick from, unsurprisingly, Johan Elmander. The Swede opened the scoring in 11 minutes when he latched onto Barry Ferguson’s knock down to settle any lingering nerves both on the pitch and in the stands. His second came when he dispossessed a defender and ran away with the ball to easily beat Ricardo on 16 minutes. The hat-trick was complete on 28 minutes as the industrious Sebo set him up with a fine pass.

Steven Smith completed the rout with a free-kick 12 minutes before the break. The second half was a large celebration as the supporters made the most of the final European action of the season. Rangers replicate Celtic’s efforts in reaching the UEFA Cup final three years ago but will be hoping to go one step better against their opponents, Schalke of Germany. Hudgson was justifiably proud of his players ‘Johan will get most of the headlines, and deservedly so but it has been a real squad effort to get here. Every player has made a contribution in some way so they can all feel proud. It’s true we didn’t have the toughest draw on paper but you can only beat who is put in front of you and we’ve certainly done that. A marvellous night for the club and our supporters can enjoy the derby on Sunday in a good mood.’

Celtic 1 vs. Rangers 1

The final derby of the season and third at Parkhead saw a rare selection headache for Hudgson, as with the exception of Cicinho everyone was available, at the right time of the season.

Dado Prso returned to the line-up and it was the Croatian who opened the scoring on seven minutes with his 20th goal of the season, a fine header from Sionko’s cross. Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink equalised five minutes later for the home side. The rest of the match failed to live up Old Firm expectations though, as both sides meandered their way to the draw. For Rangers this was understandable but Celtic ought to have shown more urgency it their attempt to wreck the unbeaten season, which is now only two matches away.

Rangers 2 vs. Dundee Utd 2

Championship trophy day for Rangers in their final home game of the league season. The celebratory nature of the afternoon was soured somewhat as the home side threw away a two goal lead to only pick up a point. Istvan Bakx gave the home side the lead, scoring from long range after catching the keeper off his line. Johan Elmander, who else, got the second goal following good work from Dagoberto and Rangers went in two-up at the break.

Dundee United hit back on 68 minutes as Koen Brack’s free-kick was deflected past sub keeper McGregor. Ten minutes later United were level when Steve McAllister found the net. Rangers were untroubled after that though and the result leaves them one match from an unbeaten league campaign.

Motherwell 1 vs. Rangers 3

Motherwell and 90 minutes was all that stood between Rangers and completing an historic league season without suffering a defeat. It was an under-strength visiting side, as many regulars were rested with Wednesday’s UEFA Cup Final in mind.

The changes mattered not, as Rangers wrote themselves into the history books with the final chapter of a brilliant first league season under Hudgson’s tutelage. Charlie Adam gave the visitors the lead in 13 minutes with a right-footed rocket into the top corner. The lead was doubled when Chris Burke scored a similar long-range pearler. Motherwell got back into the game on 28 mins when Teddy Bjarnason scored for the home side.

Rangers secured the 3 points and their place in history with 20 minutes left when Flamini was bundled over, Adam converting the penalty for his 11th goal of an impressive breakthrough season. The final whistle saw jubilant scenes amongst the travelling contingent and a proud manager spoke post match

‘What a magnificent achievement in the great history of this club. Every player can look back on this season and say they were a part of it. So many great performances. Johan Elmander, Dado Prso and Dagoberto up front. Stefan Klos reliable as ever in goal. Two centre-halves under 21 marshalling the defence (Svensson and Vermaelen). Chris Burke, Steven Smith and Charlie Adam breaking through to become established regulars. I could go on and on, but I’m so proud of their efforts. We enjoy this today, then look to Wednesday and a chance to make more history.’

Dominant Gers season rewarded

The comprehensive title triumph of Rangers was reflected in the end of season awards handed out by the FA. Johan Elmander’s brilliant season saw him place 2nd in the Player of the Year awards. On loan winger Lee Martin was a runaway winner of the Young Player of the Year, with outstanding centre-half Thomas Vermaelen 3rd.

An incredible nine players were selected in the team of the year, all in the starting XI. Goalkeeper Klos, defenders Svensson, Vermaelen and Smith along with entire midfield 4 of Burke, Flamini, Ferguson and Martin. Elmander was hardly a shock selection up front.

The manager was rewarded with the prize for top boss, again a hardly earth-shattering decision. Mathieu Flamini was 2nd in the football writers award, won by Nakamura of Celtic. Not winning either of the senior awards was a reflection of the even contribution of many players, in a squad with no real superstar who dominated above everyone else.

Schalke 2 vs. Rangers 6 – UEFA Cup Final

And so to Europe as Rangers sought their second trophy of a marvellous season. Once again they would look to inspiration from Johan Elmander who has scored an incredible 14 goals in the run to the final. In something of a selection surprise Rodriguez was preferred to Svensson whilst Burke beat Sionko for the right-wing position.

Hudgson continued to establish his burgeoning reputation and Rangers won their first UEFA Cup in an incredible game in Eindhoven. Things started badly for Rangers when they went behind on 12 minutes through a Kevin Kuranyi goal, the striker pouncing on a poor Rodriguez header. Rangers equalised just three minutes later through Chris Burke. The young winger half-volleyed the ball home superbly from a Steven Smith corner.

The full-back was involved in the second goal for Rangers, as he was the scorer. A fine free-kick from the young man for his 5th of the season. On the half hour Schalke equalised when Asamoah got onto Kuranyi’s pass to beat the onrushing Klos. Rangers took the lead into half time when Dagoberto pounced on Burke’s deflected shot to score his 24th goal of a fine first season at the club.

Five minutes after the break it was 4-2 when Elmander, who else, got on the end of Lee Martin’s cross to head home. On 55 minutes the lead was three goals as Barry Ferguson played a one-two with Cicinho before smashing an unstoppable drive into the top corner from 30 yards. At 5-2, manager and fans alike were envisioning victory.

On 57 minutes that became even more likely with the red hard handed out to Krstajic of Schalke. On 69 minutes came the first in a series of comical events in the space of 90 seconds. Lee Martin was fouled in the box and Dagoberto stepped up. His penalty was superbly kept out by Rost in goal, but remarkably in the scramble to get to the ball Cicinho was fouled, resulting in another penalty. Even more stupidly, this one was saved as well. At 5-2 in front and a man up, Hudgson could afford to laugh on the touchline.

The scoring was completed fittingly, by Elmander on 86 minutes. The striker has dominated this competition and scored his 16th and final goal in the tournament when he raced away via Flamini’s well-weighted ball.

The final whistle brought an outpouring of joy from players, fans and manager alike. Hudgson managed to speak to the press in between being dumped with booze and hugs from the chairman ‘To win in Europe in my first season here is beyond my wildest dreams. I wanted the title, but to achieve European success is a great result. This gives us confidence we can compete with great sides when we tackle the European Cup next season. What a marvellous effort from these players. Now we go into the Cup final on Saturday with no pressure, as the season is already a resounding success. Tonight’s effort was up there with the best of the season, the 4-0 win at Celtic and the win in Leverkusen are probably the other standout efforts. Dagoberto is off penalties I think after tonight, I’m just happy we were well in front otherwise I wouldn’t have been laughing I assure you.’

Rangers 2 vs. Hearts 0 – Scottish Cup Final

Steven Smith was ruled out after picking up an injury, and Hudgson made the surprising selection of Lewis Stevenson ahead of Ian Murray. Svensson returned for Rodriguez in the only other change to the side form Wednesday, in what was Lee Martin’s final appearance for the club before returning to Manchester United.

Despite the views of the manager, it was Dagoberto from the penalty spot who gave Rangers the lead on 25 minutes. Steven Pressley earned a red card for the professional foul on the Brazilian.

Johan Elmander doubled the lead on the hour, nodding in Stevenson’s cross for the 41st and final goal of a magnificent season . The second goal was the cue for Lee Martin to exit as Hudgson allowed the winger his own farewell from the Rangers supporters, who showed their appreciation for his marvellous season. Hearts never looked threatening being a man down, and Rangers cruised to victory and an historic treble of trophies. The manager had lost his voice after Wednesday’s celebrations and did not speak post match. The club comment was left to this statement issued by the chairman.

Hudgson already a Rangers favourite

Luke Hudgson was not my first choice to be new Rangers manager when Paul Le Guen walked out. However, he has proven to be far and away the correct appointment. Leading the club to a magnificent season with three trophies is beyond any expectations any of us had of him pre-season.

Attacking, flowing football and a shrewd touch in the transfer market have shown what n asset Luke is for this club. Johan Elmander, Dagoberto, Thomas Vermaelen and Mathieu Flamini were all brought to the club by Luke and have played a significant role in our success this season. Let us hope he can continue to bring us success in the years to come.

David Murray

No rest for Rangers boss

Having taken a week off following the Cup final success, Luke Hudgson returned to work today to plan for next season. Whilst his players enjoy their holidays, and for some the World Cup the boss is already looking at ways to prepare his squad for the defence of their championship and involvement in the Champions’ League, whilst hosing down comparisons made in this week between Johan Elmander and another prolific Swede who played in Glasgow. Speaking as he fronted the media following the announcement that he had agreed a two year contract extension, Hudgson elaborated on some of his plans. ‘I’m delighted to sign for a further two years at Rangers. I’ve enjoyed myself immensely here and feel I will only improve as a manger with more experience Comparing Johan with Henrik Larsson is ridiculously premature. Obviously Johan is a fine player, but Henrik produced at the top level for 10 years, Johan needs to show that kind of consistency. We have agreed to sell Fernando Ricksen to Man City for ₤1.6 million so that frees up some more funds to spend. At this stage I want to sign another centre half, who I already know who I want it to be and a left winger to replace Lee Martin, but I’m still considering various options on that front. Also we haven’t really replaced Thomas Buffel so a versatile midfielder is another on my list.

It all depends on funds available really, as we need top quality players if we want to compete in the Champions’ League. I don’t foresee any significant departures from the first team squad, although a ridiculous offer for someone may tempt the chairman. I’m not looking to offload anyone though. We are going to need plenty of depth to compete at the highest level. I don’t think we’ll secure any deals until July, as those leaving’s (Tristan & Ricksen) fees don’t come in until then.’

Hudgson completes defensive signing

A quiet summer so far at Ibrox came to life today as Hudgson secured the centre-back he was after, 22 year old Frenchman Jacques Faty from Manchester United. The fee to bring the player to Ibrox was believed to be in the region of ₤2.8 million. The manager was pleased to secure his first signing of the summer. ‘Jacques is a terrific talent and we’re delighted to bring him to Rangers. He is fantastic in the air and has terrific positional sense and will fit in marvellously here. Along with Vermaelen and Svensson it give us three terrific young centre-halves, and Julien Rodriguez provides that bit of veteran leadership at the back as well. We are well positioned at the back now. I’m still hunting for a couple of midfield players though’

The player was similarly pleased with his move ‘It was hard for me at Manchester as I did not play very much. I had other offers from clubs but I spoke to Bardsley and Martin and they said Rangers is a very good club with a good manager who can help me develop as a player. They won three titles last season and I hope to win many trophies here.’

Hudgson finds his left winger – at his own club

The quest for Lee Martin’s replacement came to an end today with an obvious solution – Lee Martin. Rangers have agreed with Manchester United to retain the young winger on loan for another full season. The player was quick to agree to the move, having enjoyed a terrific season at the club last term. Hudgson was delighted ‘Replacing Lee was always going to be a tough ask, so we’re very pleased to have him for another season. With the limited funds I have available, a loan deal was a great coup for us. The little money remaining can go towards that versatile midfielder I’m still seeking.’

Viana signs on at Ibrox

Rangers today unveiled what they hope will be another significant piece of their title defending puzzle, Hugo Viana. The Portuguese midfielder joins from Spanish club Valencia for a fee rising to ₤3 million. Hudgson who strode into the press conference announcing his signing in his Australian national jersey after the side upset France to make the World Cup semi-final where they will face Viana’s countrymen said ‘Hugo is a prodigious talent. He hasn’t fulfilled that potential yet but I hope I can bring it out here. It’s a gamble for sure, but I’m confident it will pay off.’

Viana said ‘It’s true my last time in Britain (With English side Newcastle) didn’t go well but I am determined to succeed. I saw Rangers beat my old club Sporting in the UEFA Cup last season and was impressed. They have marvellous fans and the manager impressed me when we spoke, he even knew some Portuguese! I hope to do well here.’

Hudgson did suggest there was one more signing in the offing but he said it depended on someone departing first of all. That someone turned out to be Filip Sebo, with the unsettled Slovakian striker joining Swedish side IFK Gothenburg for an initial ₤875,000 in a heavily incentive-laden deal. That left a vacancy up front as thoughts turned to who might fill it.

O’Connor joins Rangers

The space in the front line created by Sebo’s departure was filled by Scottish international Garry O’Connor, who joins the club from Russian club Lokomotiv Moscow. The striker found himself transfer listed and was snapped up for just over ₤1.5 million, a ‘steal’ according to the manager. The manager was pleased to sign a Scot to his international looking squad. ‘In addition to being a good player which is the primary consideration, Garry is also Scottish which is important with these new quota systems UEFA are going to introduce in European competitions. He will be another good acquisition for the club. Unless someone else asks to leave an we need to replace them, that’s it for transfers.’

The player himself was pleased to return to his homeland. ‘Russia was a different experience for sure, but an enjoyable one in many respects. However, it’s good to be home again and with the chance to win trophies at Rangers.’

With the manager saying his business was complete, we take a look at the squad that will attempt to replicated last season’s successes.

Goalkeepers

1. Stefan Klos

The veteran German keeps on keeping on, enjoying another marvellous season in goal for the club last term. Age is bound to catch up with him eventually, but remains the undisputed number 1.

13. Allan McGregor

The youth team product will serve as Klos’ deputy after fulfilling the role in the second half of last season. Whether he remains happy with such a role remains to be seen.

Defenders

2. Cicinho

The Brazilian produced some fine form following his January move to the club. First choice at right-back, he will be looking to prove a point after missing the World Cup.

20. Alan Hutton

Another product of the academy, the 21 year old will push Cicinho hard for the right-back role. Made 27 appearances last season and will hope to build on that. Still prone to odd lapses that can prove costly.

31. Istvan Bakx

The Dutchman saw limited game time following his January move and seems likely to be on the fringe again. A marvellously talented full-back, he is still a ways away from first-team regular.

19. Steven Smith

The local lad firmly established the left-back position as his last season with some wonderful displays that earned him international recognition. His free kicks are another facet to his game and brought five goals last term.

22. Lewis Stevenson

The 18 year old is likely to be Smith’s primary cover this season as he looks to build on the handful of appearances he made last season after his move from Hibs. Yet to make his league debut.

24. Ian Murray

The versatile former Hibs player was a useful component for Hudgson last season, filling in in a variety of roles. Prefers central midfield but can be used effectively in defence.

3. Karl Svensson

The Swedish stopper formed a marvellous partnership with Thomas Vermaelen last season in the solid Rangers defence. His form suffered a bit towards the end of the campaign which may see him start the season on the bench.

5. Thomas Vermaelen

The young Belgian established himself last term as the best defender in Scotland, and will seek to make an impact in Europe’s premier competition this season. Another strong season from the 20 year old could see one of the European giants move for him.

16. Julien Rodriguez

The Frenchman proved an able deputy when called on last season and is likely to fulfil the same role this season. A commanding presence, he organises the defence well when called into action.

4. Jacques Faty

The new signing from Manchester United is the second French central defender. Performed well in his limited games with the European Champions and will look to become a regular here alongside Vermaelen.

Midfield

6. Barry Ferguson

The skipper had a mixed season last time out. Started like a house on fire, but over the Christmas / New Year period had a real flat spot. Gets the chance to prove he can cut it with the world’s best.

8. Mathieu Flamini

The former Arsenal man had a brilliant campaign last season, scoring eight goals. Firmly entrenched as Ferguson’s running mate.

12. Christian Grindheim

The Norwegian was frustrated last season as he found it difficult to break up the dominant Ferguson – Flamini axis. Nevertheless, he performed very well when called on. Will look to get more action, as well as experience Europe after being ineligible last season.

18. Hugo Viana

The prodigiously talented Portuguese comes with a lot to prove. Undoubtedly talented he can dominate games when in full flight. Whether he can produce consistently is another matter. His free kicks can be a big asset.

17. Chris Burke

The young winger enjoyed a non-stop battle with Libor Sionko for the right wing slot during the entire season before getting ahead late on. Will hope to continue that edge, and build on his goal scoring threat.

7. Libor Sionko

By the average squad age, the Czech is a veteran. Never let the manager down when called upon and finished with the marvellous return of 14 goals in all competitions. Can play anywhere across the middle of the park.

11. Lee Martin

The Manchester United youngster returns for a second season on loan after a superb campaign last time, which saw him win Young Player of the Year. A marvellous crosser of the ball, he led the side in assists.

21. Charlie Adam

The academy player enjoyed a breakthrough season last, making 31 appearances and scoring 11 goals. Will push Martin hard for the left-wing role, and can fill in centrally when required..

Strikers

14. Dado Prso

The veteran Croat was a massive part of Rangers’ success last season, scoring 20 goals, including 16 in the league. Many came from the bench, where he will probably start the season.

10. Dagoberto

Endured a mixed season, scoring plenty of goals (25) but missing spells of matches with a string of niggling injuries. Will be looking for a consistent run in the side as he renews his partnership with Elmander.

15. Johan Elmander

The undoubted success of Hudgson’s first season. Brought in on loan, his prolific nature saw him signed permanently. A fantastic campaign brought 41 goals, a hard act to follow. A predator in the box.

9. Kris Boyd

Frustrated with his display last term. Started the season well but went into a flat patch he never really got out of and found his chances limited after the turn of the year. Scored 10 goals.

23. Garry O’Connor

The most recent of Hudgson’s acquisitions, the Scottish international will have to work hard for a place in this collection of front players.

Rangers completed their only pre-season preparations with a three match jaunt to Hudgson’s home country (Australia), winning all 3 matches comfortably. More important was getting fitness into the legs and avoiding injury, which was achieved. With the squad prepared and set, the title defence was set to begin away to Hibs.

• 3 weeks later...

Hibs 0 vs. Rangers 2

It was as if the summer break had never happened as Rangers began the new season the way they finished the old one, by winning. Goals in both halves from Dagoberto and Chris Burke respectively saw Rangers get over the line. The Brazilian striker enjoyed a good game, as he set up Burke’s goal with a lovely cross.

Hudgson was pleased to start with a win, and also was asked about the CL 3rd Round Qualifying Draw ‘It’s good to start with a win and get the confidence high. Jacques (Faty) did well today in his debut and he’ll be a fine player for the club. Dagoberto was good as well, I hope he can avoid injuries through this season. Being drawn against Aston Villa is certainly a tough assignment. Celtic have got an easier draw despite finishing 2nd and coming in one round before us, but that’s the luck of the draw. Hopefully starting our season a little earlier will give us an edge in terms of sharpness which could help us.’

Rangers 3 vs. Kilmarnock 0

30 seconds was all the hosts required to take the lead. Flamini ghosted into the box unmarked to put away Dagoberto’s floating cross. The Brazilian doubled the champions’ advantage halfway through the first half, after lovely work from Chris Burke. Jacques Faty fluffed the chance for his maiden goal for the club, his tame penalty well saved on 35 minutes.

The Frenchman’s day went from ordinary to disastrous five minutes before the break. Burke’s woeful cross field ball was cut out by Steven Naismith who streaked away before Faty clipped him down. The referee had no hesitation in dismissing him for a professional foul, but Rangers managed to get to half time with their 2-0 lead intact.

The loss of a man didn’t affect the hosts greatly and they went 3-0 up on the hour as Flamini got his second, heading in Burke’s corner. Numbers were squared up with ten minutes to play as Chris Morgan was sent off for the visitors, also for a professional foul. 3-0 it finished, a good boost ahead of the Champions’ League qualifier in Birmingham on Wednesday. A slight concern was Lee Martin suffering a rib injury, but Hudgson was hopeful he’d be fit to play some part in midweek. ‘Lee’s got a bit of a knock so may only make the bench. If that’s the case, Charlie Adam will step in and he’s a marvellous option for us. obviously this is the biggest match of my tenure so far. We’re looking for a win of course to ease the pressure for the home leg.’

Aston Villa 1 vs. Rangers 1 – CL 3rd Round Qualifying 1st Leg

Martin was not even fit enough for a bench role, and as the manager suggested, Charlie Adam came in. Mathieu Flamini was also absent via a suspension for yellow cards accrued last season. Christian Grindheim stepped in for the clash with former Celtic manager Martin O’Neill’s side.

It was the returning Adam who gave the Scottish side the lead on twenty-five minutes. Sustained pressure eventually led to Dagoberto being fouled in the box, and the young winger despatched the ball easily. Rangers continued to dominated the first half and were unlucky to lead by only one at the break.

The lead did not last too long though, as Nicolas Anelka equalised for Villa after two minutes of the second half. Villa enjoyed a similar superiority to Rangers in the first half, and the draw was a fair result, leaving the tie intriguingly poised ahead of the return leg at Ibrox. The boss was satisfied, rather than pleased. ‘We should have got more than one goal for our dominance in the first half, but such is life. All we have to do now is win a home game, and if we can’t do that we don’t deserve to make the competition proper.’

Aberdeen 1 vs. Rangers 4

Libor Sionko and Hugo Viana made their first starts of the season, while Svensson stepped in for the suspended Faty. The Gers enjoyed a super-fast start, going two up inside four minutes with both goals coming from last season’s talisman, Johan Elmander. They were the Swede’s first goals of the season. Dagoberto made it 3-0 in first half stoppage time with a typically cool finish after being set up by his strike partner.

Steve Lovell pulled one back for the home side on 56 minutes, but any hope of a comeback was snuffed out five minutes later when Elmander completed his hat-trick for the final score of 4-1 to Rangers. Hudgson was delighted to see Elmander get off the mark. ‘When you are as prolific as Johan was last season, three games without a goal is a major drought, so it was good to see him bounce back today. He is going to be a vital component if we are to succeed again this season. The new boys are settling in well, Hugo (Viana) did well today, and Faty has been good so far. O’Connor will have to wait for his chance with Dagoberto and Elmander in form, but I’m confident he’ll do well when given a chance.’

Rangers 5 vs. Motherwell 0

A dominant display from Rangers saw them record another league win. Dagoberto got the first goal on 20 minutes following fine work from his Brazilian mate Cicinho. Barry Ferguson got the second goal, opening his account for the season with a 30 yard special which left the keeper with no hope. First half scoring was rounded off when Hugo Viana curled a wonderful free-kick in for his first Rangers goal.

The skipper got his second five minutes into he 2nd half when he nodded in Viana’s free-kick. Libor Sionko rounded off the scoring, also with a header although Lee Martin was the supplier this time. A fine confidence boost for the home side ahead of their Super Cup clash in Monaco with European Champions Manchester United.

Boyd joins Portsmouth

Scottish international striker Kris Boyd completed a surprise switch from Scottish champions Rangers today, joining English Premiership side Portsmouth for ₤3 million. The 23 year old had found his chances limited throughout the second half of last season and decided to move on, after not featuring as yet this campaign. Hudgson, while sorry to see Boyd leave was understanding of his reasons. ‘Kris started very well last time, but picked up an injury which allowed Johan and Dagoberto to establish their partnership. With Gary O’Connor coming in he felt there wouldn’t be much chance for him here so asked to leave. Portsmouth offered us a good price so it’s a good deal for all parties. Barring a injury crisis, we’re well covered up front with Dagoberto, Elmander, Prso and O’Connor.’

Rangers 1 vs. Man Utd 2 – UEFA Super Cup

With the second leg with Aston Villa curiously scheduled for the Monday following this Friday fixture, Hudgson took the chance to give fringe players a runout. O’Connor, Prso, Bakx, Stevenson, Rodriguez and Grindheim were some players who got a starting berth they may otherwise have not enjoyed.

Rangers started brightly and took a deserved lead through Dado Prso on 13 minutes, the veteran Croatian heading in Burke’s deep cross. United hit back on 33 minutes when good work by Giggs saw Brazilian striker Robinho bring the sides level, which remained the case until half-time.

Rangers’ chances of victory suffered a blow just seconds into the second half when Istvan Bakx was sent off for a professional foul on Giggs. Reduced to 10 men, Rangers were on the back foot for the rest of the match and it was no real surprise when Darren Fletcher got what proved to be the winner on 71 minutes. A good lesson for Rangers of the standards they will need to aspire for to compete in the Champions’ League should they qualify.

Rangers (1) 2 vs. Aston Villa (1) 0 – CL 3rd Round Qualification 2nd Leg

Hudgson’s side went into this match having received a boost in the league, despite being idle over the weekend with Celtic held 0-0 at home. The big guns returned as Hudgson sent out probably his best side, except for Lee Martin who was still injured.

The home side took the lead in the same fashion as the first leg, with Charlie Adam converting a penalty after Dagoberto was felled. The Brazilian doubled the half-time advantage when he pounced on Stuart Taylor’s poor clearance to smash the ball back past the helpless goalkeeper to put Rangers well on top at the break.

An uneventful second half followed as Rangers cruised to the win, joining Celtic in the group phase where they will play Arsenal, Chievo and the Greek side Olympiakos. Hudgson was pleased to be through and not too dissatisfied with the draw. The only blight on the evening was an injury picked up by Elmander which rules him out for a month. ‘We’ve done marvellously well tonight. The defence in particular was excellent, Villa hardly had a sniff. There are no easy draws in this competition but we could have got a harder one so I’m not too dissatisfied. Losing Johan is a blow, but we’ve got sufficient cover I feel. I may try to bring in a loan signing before the deadline though.’

Champions bolster strike force

Luke Hudgson used his good relationship with Manchester United boss Alex Ferguson to help improve his striking options today, securing the services of highly-rated young Italian forward Giuseppe Rossi for the season on loan. The 19 year old goes straight into the starting line-up for the visit to Dundee United this week.

Also joining Rangers on loan was another striker, Lomana LuaLua from Portsmouth. Ironically the recent signing of Kris Boyd from Rangers had led to LuaLua seeking a move away from Fratton Park. The DR Congo man is well short of match fitness, so the manager stated he would play some reserve matches before being seen in the first team.

Dundee Utd 0 vs. Rangers 3

Rossi made a liar of his manager by being away on international duty, so Garry O’Connor got the chance to partner Dagoberto up front. Lee Martin was still missing so Charlie Adam, subject of a deadline day bid from Tottenham, retained his place on the left.

A dreadful first hour left us thinking this game was headed for a stalemate before two goals in five minutes settled it for Rangers. Dagoberto found himself on the end of good work from Smith to nod in at the far post and four minutes later substitute Prso latched onto a through ball from Christian Grindheim for 2-0. Charlie Adam completed the scoring with an 86th minute penalty. Another injury blow for the champions, with Libor Sionko breaking his wrist and likely to miss at least a month of action. Rangers sit top of the table with five wins from five, ahead of the first derby of the season next week following the international break.

Rangers 5 vs. Celtic 4

A baptism of fire for Rossi, as he was placed in the starting line-up for the eagerly anticipated match against Rangers’ great rivals. It proved to be a memorable day for the Italian as Rangers won a pulsating match.

Zurawski put Celtic ahead after 5 minutes, pouncing on a sleepy Rangers defence. Rangers pressed on, but it took twenty minutes to level when Barry Ferguson beat Zenden in the air to head in Lee Martin’s cross. On 31 mins, Rangers led. Ferguson played in Rossi, and the debutant unselfishly squared it for Dagoberto to tap it home. Just two minutes later, Celtic equalised through Vennegoor of Hesselink who outpaced a static Faty.

90 seconds later Rangers were back in front. Nakamura upended Burke in the area and Faty put away the penalty. On 39 minutes Rangers increased the margin to two. Rossi got behind the defence again, but shot himself this time. Lonergan in goal tipped the ball brilliantly on to the bar, but it fell perfectly for Dagoberto to grab his second. An incredible first half was capped in stoppage time by another Faty penalty. This time Lee Martin was fouled by John Kennedy.

Celtic dominated the second half and got some reward on the hour when Vennegoor got his second. Rangers were left with a nervy last ten minutes as the giant Dutchman completed his hat-trick on 79 minutes for 5-4. The champions hung on though, and kick off their Champions’ League campaign on a high. Rossi & Martin will be absent though, having picked up injuries during the match. ‘It’s great to beat Celtic anytime and today was no different. Our strikers are cursed at the moment. Rossi’s done marvellously today and is now out for a couple of weeks. Lee Martin keeps picking up niggles, so maybe a few weeks rest is what he needs. Still, we’ve started well again in the league and already have 5 points on Celtic.’

Olympiakos 0 vs. Rangers 1 – CL Group Phase

A familiar foe for Rangers as they kicked off their European adventure, taking on their opponent from the first knockout round of the UEFA Cup last season. The striking merry go-round continued as Prso partnered Dagoberto, whilst Adam replaced the crocked Martin. One surprise came at left-back where Lewis Stevenson replaced Steven Smith.

It proved to be a marvellous start to their campaign, but the match began as anything but. Thomas Vermaelen was sent off after just 55 seconds for a professional foul. Dagoberto was sacrificed as Rangers re-organised. They were largely dominated for the match but won the game through Charlie Adam’s 21st minute penalty after Grindheim was almost undressed in the box by the defender. The win was in no small part thanks to Klos, who produced a vintage display in goal. Hudgson was unavailable post-match.

Hearts 1 vs. Rangers 3

A hard-fought win for the champions as they overcame a spirited Hearts side at Tynecastle. The visitors went ahead on 19 minutes when Dado Prso tucked away the rebound from Dagoberto’s saved effort. The league leaders maintained their advantage going into the break.

Hearts hit back just 44 seconds into the second half when Yordi pounced on a loose bal to beat Klos with a stunner from 25 yards. Hearts continued to give as good as they got but were undone in the 65th minute. The ball fell fortuitously for Dagoberto and the striker made no mistake to put Rangers back on top. The match was finally put to bed three minutes from time when fine work from sub LuaLua set the Brazilian hitman up for his second of the game and 10th of the season. Hudgson was pleased with the display ‘Hearts played well today and it was a tough match for us. we showed good character to keep persevering until we got the result. LuaLua changed the game for us when he came on, his pace and directness was a real handful for the defence. Once he’s fully fit he’ll be an asset for us.’

St. Mirren 0 vs. Rangers 3 – CIS Cup 3rd Round

Rangers began the task of winning the only domestic honour to elude Hudgson last term with a trip to the 1st Division club. A host of changes were made as the manager shuffled the deck.

A comfortable win for the visiting side was secured via first club goals for O’Connor & LuaLua (2). The Scot put Rangers in front on 40 minutes before LuaLua doubled the advantage in stoppage time. The on-loan man completed the scoring with twenty minutes left to send Rangers through to a home Q/F with Dundee United.

Rangers 4 vs. Dunfermline 1

A strange game saw Rangers run out 4-1 winners, despite Dunfermline enjoying a good portion of superiority. The result flattered the champions, hardly the boost needed ahead of this week’s game against Arsenal.

Ironically it was a former Arsenal player, Tomas Danilevicius who gave the visitors the lead on 11 minutes and they continued to dominate the half, although failed to add to their lead. Rangers began the second half in sluggish fashion also, but were brought to life by a timely substitution. LuaLua equalised five minutes after being introduced with a marvellous piece of play. The striker put Rangers ahead with 20 minutes left when his initial shot from Burke’s cross was saved but he reacted quickest to put away the rebound.

Rangers relaxed after this and added two more goals, a 1st of the season for Burke, set up by LuaLua and a first league goal for O’Connor after a lovely Ferguson pass. Bad news came post match though, as the striking injury situation went from bad to worse with Dagoberto ruled out for 2 weeks. Hudgson was left shaking his head ‘I’m not sure what the remedy is, as they’ve all been injured during games, rather than training. We’ll look at training for the front players though and will make some changes probably. As for today, an odd game but we’ve got 3 points so not much to add. Lomano was superb again, he’ll start against Arsenal for sure.’

Rangers 1 vs. Arsenal 0

A marvellous night for Rangers as LuaLua’s 66th minute goal gave the Scots a deserved victory over Arsenal to leave them with two wins from two and a great chance of qualifying for the knockout phase of the European Cup. The home side’s cause was aided significantly by the first half dismissal of William Gallas for a professional foul. The Frenchman pulled down O’Connor on 25 minutes with the striker clean through.

Following the dismissal Arsenal reorganised and posed less of a threat, although with Thierry Henry in the team there was always danger on the counter. Rangers started the second half all guns blazing and found what proved to be the winner when Cicinho played a low cross perfectly fro LuaLua to bundle the ball home. The final whistle drew raucous applause and a proud manager ‘What a superb night for us tonight. Our fans were superb and we’ve got a great chance to go through having started 2 from 2. the red card obviously helped us but I felt we were sharper even before that, and I think we could still have won the game. Lomano has stepped up with so many players missing, it’s a credit to the lad and his determination.’

Livingston 0 vs. Rangers 2

The first clash with the promoted side saw the champions overwhelming favourites to pick up another 3 points. They duly did so, making it 9 from 9 in the league thanks to LuaLua’s first half double.

The on-loan striker continued his sensational start to his Gers career, taking his tally to 7 goals in 6 total appearances and just 3 starts. Chris Burke supplied the opener with a lovely cross before his own good work saw the Congolese striker complete the scoring on 41 minutes. The win sends Rangers into the international break on a high, with some injured stars set to return when action resumes, including Dagoberto, Elmander & Sionko.

Falkirk 1 vs. Rangers 1

The aforementioned trio all reappeared on the bench for the trip to Falkirk. Rossi got the nod alongside LuaLua, while Ian Murray stepped in at left-back with Stevenson on international duty, keeping Steven Smith on the bench.

An embarrassing result for the champions as they missed a hatful of chances, allowed Falkirk only their second point of the season and lost Chris Burke for 3 months with a torn calf. The visitors laboured through the first hour, and the injury to Burke and subsequent introduction of Sionko and Elmander produced a brief period of life. This culminated in the Swede giving Rangers the lead with 15 minutes left, putting away Murray’s cross.

However, Falkirk hit back and got themselves a deserved point through Pedro Moutinho. Not the result Rangers were looking for ahead of their trip to Verona to play Chievo in midweek. Hudgson was understandably disappointed ‘We were pretty poor today and looked very disjointed. That said, once we went in front we should have won. It’s a blow to lose Chris as I want to ease Libor (Sionko) back in. LuaLua will play wide right on Tuesday and Dagoberto will start with Rossi up front. Elmander is a ways away from being fit to start yet.’

Chievo 1 vs. Rangers 3 – CL Group Phase

In addition to the flagged changes, Faty was also dropped in favour of Svensson whilst Smith returned at full-back. Adam partnered Ferguson in central midfield in a surprising move.

It was the young Scot who put Rangers (with a 3rd minute penalty after a foul on Dagoberto) on course for another marvellous night in Europe under Hudgson. A first half rout was completed with goals from the Brazilian from a LuaLua cross and a goal for the captain, wonderfully found by Rossi.

A comfortable second half was spoiled by an injury time consolation for the home side, but with 3 wins from 3, Rangers are odds-on to qualify, delighting a beaming manager ‘The team continues to mature and develop in Europe. They can all once again be proud of their efforts tonight. Now we have a marvellous chance to seal qualification in front of our fans in our next game.’

Rangers 3 vs. Inverness CT 1

The champions made hard work of overcoming a spirited Inverness side, requiring a penalty from Adam and a couple of long-range specials from Ferguson for their goals. The captain was an inspiration for the home side and drove them to victory almost single-handedly with a superb display. He was well supported by his midfield partner Adam, who was one of few good players on the day.

Had Inverness shown more of the skill that Stephen Glass displayed with his 10th minute free-kick to put them ahead they could well have got something from the game. Rossi disappointed once again up front for Rangers, leading some to question why he is being picked over the likes of Prso and O’Connor, actual Rangers players. The weekend ended nicely for Rangers though, with Celtic thrashed 3-0 at Motherwell. The lead is now 9 points, but Celtic have a game in hand.

Rangers 3 vs. Hibs 0

Hudgson made changes for this clash, with Rodriguez partnering Faty, and Alan Hutton making a rare appearance at right-back. Sionko made his first start since injury, whilst Elmander and Dagoberto were reunited up front. The under-performing Rossi was left out of the 18.

Five minutes before the break a swift counter-attack saw rangers in front. Steven Smith broke down the left and played a superb pass for Dagoberto to finish at the near post. In stoppage time, Rangers doubled their lead. Smith again was the supplier, this time with a lovely cross to the back post for Elmander to finish off for his 5th of the season.

Charlie Adam rounded off the scoring in the second half with an opportunistic finish after the keeper punched, rather than caught Martin’s cross. The ball fell to Adam outside the box and he coolly lobbed it into the net. Hudgson was satisfied post-match. ‘It’s good to win ahead of the Chievo match, particularly for Johan and ‘Berto to score and play together again. We’re full of confidence for Wednesday now.’

Rangers 4 vs. Chievo 1 – CL Group Phase

Cicinho and Vermaelen returned to the defence for this match that could secure Rangers’ place in the knockout phase. They duly did so, thanks to second half doubles from their strikers.

Sergio Pelissier gave Chievo the lead in first half injury time, no less than the visitors deserved after an outstanding 1st half that banished memories of their poor effort in the previous meeting. Whatever the manager said at half-time did the trick though as Rangers destroyed their opponents in the second half.

Dagoberto levelled things on 56 minutes after Elmander’s cross was deflected and fell perfectly for the Brazilian. He got his second three minutes later after a superb run and chip over the goalkeeper.

Chievo pressed hard for an equaliser and won a succession of corners. One, with two minutes left saw the keeper come forward with his side’s chances on the line. The ball was headed clear to Elmander, who ran 30 yards to just inside his own half before spectacularly ending the contest. Remarkably, just a minute later he had a double. A forward run by Grindheim saw the ball fall to the Swede who turned and shot on his left foot in one movement to score his second and Rangers’ fourth. The boss was purring about his front men post-match. ‘When they’re on like they were tonight, there aren’t many better partnerships anywhere in Europe. They work off one another so well and their finishing is marvellous. Johan’s two goals were spectacular. To qualify with two games to spare is beyond what we could have hoped for, the goal now has to be to win the group.’

Kilmarnock 0 vs. Rangers 4

Smith, Sionko and Adam were all rested for this match, which saw Flamini return to the side after a four game absence. The team changes had little impact on the result, as full of confidence from the European fixture, Rangers smashed the home side.

Elmander opened the scoring after 90 seconds, making it three goals in about 6 minutes of match action for him. A 2-0 half-time lead was secured by a Faty penalty after martin was pushed over. The third goal also came about as the result of a penalty after 54 minutes. Martin again was the victim with half-time sub O’Connor stepping up. His penalty was saved, but he tucked away the rebound. Scoring was completed via a Bryson own goal, leaving Rangers 8 points clear of Celtic who could only manage a draw at home with Hearts.

Rangers 3 vs. Dundee Utd 1 – CIS Cup Q/F

Rangers put out their conquerors in the competition last season with a comfortable 3-1 win achieved with largely their fringe players. Goals from Rossi (finally), O’Connor and a Viana free-kick cancelled out Montecinos’ first half strike. Rangers will play Celtic’s conqueror Aberdeen in the semi final at Pittodrie.

Rangers 4 vs. Aberdeen 1

First half goals from Elmander and Lee Martin’s 1st of the season combined with a second half double from Sionko in another comfortable win for the champions. The veteran Czech was in superb form for Rangers, creating Martin’s goal in addition to scoring his own.

Steve Lovell scored the consolation for Aberdeen, as Rangers increased their lead to 10 points thanks to Celtic’s draw at Dunfermline. Hudgson was more pleased with Celtic’s result than their own ‘We don’t really need to concern ourselves with the league at the moment. Celtic keep finding ways to increase our lead for us, Europe is the only real challenge at the moment. The league is taking care of itself. The problem will be keeping the players motivated and sharp for Europe with the league proving so unchallenging at the moment.’

Rangers 2 vs. Olympiakos 0 – CL Group Phase

A home win coupled with Arsenal failing to beat Chievo would see Rangers win the group. They duly got that as second half goals from Dagoberto and a Viana penalty coupled with Chievo’s stunning 3-0 over Arsenal saw Rangers secure their position as winners of Group E.

A marvellous performance from this side in their first exploits in the top competition and they travel to London in a fortnight with no pressure on them at all. Hudgson intimated he will give other players a run-out. ‘I expected us to win tonight, and we did enough. I have to admit though I’m surprised at Chievo’s win. Squad players will get a chance to play in London, but not a completely different side as we still want to get something from the game. To go through undefeated would be something.’

Not so much good news for Rangers, but good for Scottish football as the following night Celtic picked up 3 points meaning they will join their rivals in the knockout phase, a marvellous achievement for the SPL.

Motherwell 0 vs. Rangers 2

Another day, another 3 league points for the champions. A first league goal for Rossi and Thomas Vermaelen’s maiden goal of the campaign saw off a determined Motherwell side.

The opener came on 11 minutes. Rossi, who has endured a less than stellar spell at the club, controlled LuaLua’s cross brilliantly with his first touch before lashing the ball into the net. There have been no such problems fro Vermaelen this season, the 20 year old performing brilliantly once again. He added a goal to his defensive prowess on 28 minutes, half-volleying home Lee Martin’s driven corner. Motherwell pushed hard after half-time but a combination of good defending and some smart saves from Klos saw Rangers maintain their 10 point cushion over 2nd placed Celtic.

Rangers 3 vs. Dundee Utd 1

The visit of United saw Elmander missing with a slight knock, so Dagoberto returned to partner Rossi up front. Lee Martin was rested, as Charlie Adam returned ahead of his likely involvement against Arsenal.

It took two goals in the last two minutes to spare Rangers’ blushes on a day they were guilty of missing a hatful of chances. The home side started slowly and went behind on five minutes when Alessandro Fusco beat Klos a little too easily at the near post.

It took until the hour mark for Rangers to draw level when Dagoberto’s floated cross was met with a sweet volley by Sionko to make it 1-1. Rangers continued to fluff opportunities but the 2nd goal eventually came. Dagoberto was again the supplier, as his through ball sent Rossi away and the little Italian made no mistake on 89 minutes to the delight of the crowd. Rossi returned the favour for his front partner in injury time when he was again put through, but this time drew the keeper and squared it to the Brazilian who made no mistake. No Rangers officials commented post-match.

Arsenal 6 vs. Rangers 0 – CL Group Phase

As promised by the manager, some squad players got the chance to experience European action. Bakx, Murray, Rodriguez, Svensson, and Prso were among those included. These moves were perhaps ill-advised as Rangers were absolutely thrashed by a rampant Gunners side. Thierry Henry got a ridiculous 4 goals, with Adebayor and Ljungberg the other goalscorers. It could all have been very different though if on 18 minutes Hugo Viana’s ‘goal’ that would have made it 1-1 was allowed, having been ruled out by an offside decision that was very, very marginal at best.

Hudgson was unsurprisingly unhappy post-match ‘Arsenal were superb today so I’ve no complaints about the defeat. What was disappointing was the complete capitulation of the side. These squad players had a chance today to show me they can be valuable assets if and when they are needed and none of them did so today. I would expect no complaints from any of these players if they are not selected when they perform this poorly when handed a chance. ‘

Rangers 6 vs. Hearts 0

Hudgson let his actions speak as loud as his words, changing the entire starting XI from the midweek debacle. This include Klos being dumped in favour of McGregor in goal. The game that followed capped an incredible three days for the club, as they followed a 6-0 defeat with a 6-0 win.

Rossi, Elmander and Dagoberto were deployed together and it had the desired effect, with Rossi scoring and the Swede grabbing a hat-trick. Elmander kicked things off on 27 minutes when Cicinho’s low ball found him unmarked in the penalty area. Eight minutes later it was a double when Rossi’s cross found him and he rose above his marker to powerfully head home.

On 38 minutes Cicinho had his first Rangers goal. Martin’s cross seemed too deep, eluding everyone but fell perfectly for the full-back who steadied himself and rifled the ball home. In injury time Rossi added his name to the scoresheet. Sionko’s throw was flicked on by Martin perfectly for the striker who finished easily.

Elmander completed the hat-trick five minutes after the break, getting onto Steven Smith’s cross. Barry Ferguson rounded things off ten minutes from time with a trademark long-range effort to cap a display that left the manager delighted. ‘After Wednesday is shows marvellous character to come back and do that today. Admittedly it was a different set of lads, but that result shakes the whole group so it’s good to get our confidence back up so quickly. The front 3 have been playing so well recently I couldn’t really leave one out so decided to try something different. It worked well today so we may try it more often, possibly even in the derby next week.’

Celtic 0 vs. Rangers 6

Celtic needed a win to have any hope of staying in the title race. Defeat would see it all but settled, and a draw nothing to complain about for Rangers. The championship was all but decided 90 minutes later, despite only half the season being gone, as Rangers scored 6 goals for the second game running.

Rossi started things off on 13 minutes when he scored from the spot after Jakobsen felled Elmander. On 18 minutes it was 2-0 after Sionko beat Lonergan in goal after he had saved superbly twice from Elmander, but third time was charm for Rangers. Sionko also got the 3rd, on 29 mins when Steven Smith’s cross was flicked on by Dagoberto perfectly for the Czech to cap a superb first half.

The 4th came five minutes into the second half as Dagoberto scored when Lonergan could only tip Sionko’s strike into the Brazilian’s path. Steven Smith got the fifth on 56 minutes with a lovely free kick for his 1st of the season. The final goal came with four minutes left as Elmander got a goal, nodding in Smith’s deep cross to further rub salt into the home fans’ wounds and delight the travelling contingent.

Hudgson declared the title Ibrox-bound after the game ‘It’s over. I don’t care if there’s 20 games left, no-one is going to get near us, certainly not Celtic after we have demolished them today. They cannot seriously believe they can compete with us after that display today. Another inspired attacking display from the front 3 today. I would love to sign Giuseppe permanently but like Lee Martin, I think he’s out of our reach.’

Winnable tie for Rangers in European Draw

The draw for the last 16 of the European Cup saw Rangers paired with Dutch side Ajax, with the first leg taking place in Amsterdam. The manager was pleased with the draw. ‘Obviously at this stage there are no dud teams, but with all due respect Ajax are not Barcelona or Manchester United. That said, they would feel the same way about us and both clubs would think they should progress. I feel we can beat them and it would be a good achievement to make the last 8.’

Dunfermline 0 vs. Rangers 6

Things are becoming a little absurd now, as Rangers won their 3rd consecutive game by a margin of 6 goals to nil. Two enforced changes, with both full-backs having picked up flu, saw Hutton and Murray come into the XI.

Elmander opened the scoring on 7 minutes, smashing in Dagoberto’s low cross. The second goal came ten minutes from the break as Dagoberto went on a long run and struck one from 20 yards, flying in off the upright. Rossi added his name to the scoresheet two minutes later with a penalty after Ferguson was pushed over in the box. The captain capped a remarkable ten minutes in injury time with a superb free kick.

The second half started as the first finished, Rossi sliding in the ball from Lee Martin’s flick-on on 46 minutes. Rossi was involved in the final goal as well, with his saved shot falling for Elmander to complete a double. A bewildered Hudgson was all smiles post-match ‘This is fantasy stuff really. Obviously it’s not going to continue but we’ll enjoy it while it lasts. Certainly the fans are getting value for money.’

Rangers 6 vs. Falkirk 0

An unchanged XI saw Rangers attempt to continue their remarkable recent goal scoring form. They duly did so as this run continues to go form remarkable to silly then remarkable again.

The first goal came on 19 minutes and no surprises it was Elmander who scored it. Rossi’s through ball sent him away and he finished with aplomb. Three minutes later he had a double after Sionko found him criminally unmarked in the box. The Swede completed a hat-trick two minutes into the second half when he nodded in Ferguson’s floated free-kick.

Dagoberto got the fourth on 51 minutes, again as the result of a Ferguson free kick. This time it was saved and the rebound fell to the Brazilian who scored from a tight angle. The fifth goal came on 77 mins as Sionko finished off his own good work with a powerful strike. Dagoberto rounded things off in the shadows of full-time, again putting away a rebound, this time from Elmander. The Swede could have had a fourth but was denied in injury time by the offside flag. Hudgson simply smiled and shrugged his shoulders walking past the press post-match.

Inverness CT 1 vs. Rangers 3

With Rossi carrying a slight knock, O’Connor joined Elmander and Dagoberto up front, whilst Smith and Cicinho returned at the back. The run of 6 goal wins ended, and Allan McGregor was beaten for the 1st time since stepping in following the Arsenal defeat.

An Elmander double (taking him to 20 already this season) and another goal for Sionko were enough to overcome Wyness’ marvellous individual goal for Inverness early in the second half. Hudgson was pleased with the win, and also sounded relieved the six goal issue had been taken away.

Veteran departs Ibrox

Croatian striker Dado Prso left the Scottish champions today, signing for English Premiership club Fulham for ₤475,000 on the first day of the January transfer window. The 32 year old had seen limited opportunities for the first team this year, starting only 7 games. In all his 17 appearances bought 3 goals. Hudgson was sorry to see a favourite leave, but philosophical ‘Dado was superb last season (16 league goals in 20 apps) but has found it harder this season with Elmander, Dagoberto and Rossi playing so well. O’Connor has don well off the bench as has LuaLua so he didn’t get a look in. hopefully we’ve got depth to last the season, but I’m working on 1 or two things for next season at the moment. I wish Dado well.’

Midfield and striking reinforcements on the way

England under-21 international captain Nigel Reo-Coker today agreed a summer move to Rangers upon the expiration of his contract. Due to his age, Rangers will have to pay ₤1.3 million for the 22 year old. The manager was effusive in his praise of the player ‘Nigel is a real box-to-box player who gets up and down the pitch magnificently. He is a leader and weighs in with his share of goals. I’m confident he’ll be a marvellous player and asset for this club.’

Also agreeing a move to the champions in the summer was young Hibs striker, Steven Fletcher. The 19 year old is the leading Scottish scorer in the SPL so far this season with 13 goals and will cost ₤200,000. Hudgson explained the decision to leave his move until season’s end. ‘There wouldn’t be many chances for Steven with Rossi and LuaLua here on loan. Neither of them will be with us permanently so next season will see him ready to go. Playing more first team matches will aid his development than bench warming here. At 19, he can develop into a marvellous player for Rangers and Scotland.’

Fletcher was eagerly anticipating the move ‘I can’t wait for the summer but it is important to score as many as I can for Hibs to help us finish as high as we can. A good second half of the season will hopefully further impress Mr. Hudgson as well. It’ll be hard to get in the side at Ibrox with the guys they have up front, but I think I can do it.’

Massive coup for Scottish champions

Rangers beat off a host of other clubs to secure the signature of Argentine prodigy Sergio Aguero on a free transfer from Atletico Madrid in July. The 18 year old striker is one of the hottest properties in world football and represents a terrific boost for the club and manager. Hudgson was understandably overjoyed at the decision of the young man. ‘This is a great boost for Rangers and Scottish football in general that such a highly regarded prospect would choose to come and play here. I’m sure our fans will enjoy watching Sergio hopefully develop into one of Europe’s best players here.’

The player seemed similarly enthusiastic ‘Mr Hudgson made me feel wanted and that is important. I was not playing much here at Atletico and look forward to more action in the first team in Glasgow. Rangers are a good club, many time champions and are doing very well in Europe this season. My goal is to be a European champion at Rangers.’

Rangers 3 vs. Dundee Utd 1 – Scottish Cup 3rd Round

Rangers began the defence of their cup with a visit from perennial cup opposition Dundee United. They secured their place in the fourth round thanks to a hat-trick from unsurprisingly, Johan Elmander.

Having fallen behind on 30 minutes, Elmander struck in the 33rd, 39th and 51st minutes to safely see the holders through to play Hearts at Tynecastle in the next round.

Rangers 3 vs. Livingston 0

Rossi returned to the line-up for this league clash, as Rodriguez and Svensson were selected at centre-half, as Faty & Vermaelen enjoyed a day off.

Libor Sionko opened the scoring after just five minutes when he was in the right place to latch onto Elmander’s flick-on and beat the keeper. Steven Smith doubled the advantage on 15 minutes with a marvellous free-kick, perfectly placed into the top corner leaving the keeper with no chance. Elmander got his customary goal in the second half, following good work from Dagoberto and Rossi. Celtic again dropped points, leaving the lead at a staggering 19 points in mid January. Terrible for the neutrals, but magnificent for Rangers fans. Hudgson did announce post-match that Hugo Viana was departing the club, bound for Aston Villa in a ₤1.5 million move. ‘With Reo-Coker coming in the summer, one of the central players was going to move on and coincidentally Villa made us a good offer for Hugo in the last few days. He’s been a good player for us this season when given a chance, but weight of numbers meant someone had to go. Possibly I’ll seek a loan deal to plug the gap until the end of the season.

As for today we were good again. Johan is amazing, he just keeps on scoring. He’ll need to do so with Dagoberto swanning off to the Gold Cup with Brazil for a couple of weeks tomorrow. The two centre-halves did well also, considering they haven’t played much because of Jacques’ and Thomas’ good form.’

Rangers 3 vs. Kilmarnock 1

With Dagoberto away, Hudgson reverted to a front two of Rossi and Elmander. Cicinho once again showed he wasn’t Scottish by being ill, so Hutton stepped in alongside Svensson and Rodriguez who kept their places. Flamini resumed his duo with Ferguson thanks to the formation change.

A double either side of half-time from Sionko and a late goal from the irrepressible Elmander saw Rangers overcome falling behind and move a stupid 22 points clear of Celtic, who lost 3-2 at Hearts. The Czech brought the home side level when he got on the end of a scramble in the penalty area in first half injury time. His second was far more picturesque as he ran 30 yards before smashing the ball low into the corner. Elmander popped up as usual to get a goal with 8 minutes left, finishing off Lee Martin’s fine run. The manager was glowing in his praise of the two wingers ‘Libor is a fine example for Lee of longevity for a wide player. He can learn from his goalscoring ability as well and hopefully weigh in with some more himself. Lee is right up there with assists and is a superb provider. His pace and close control make him a nightmare to defend against. We really are lucky to have him here and I thank Alex Ferguson for trusting us to look after him. He’s obviously going to make it at United, but we’ll enjoy him while he’s here. Whether that is past this season I don’t know, but I certainly like it to be. I have to hope Ryan Giggs keeps running down the left wing at Old Trafford I suppose.’

Aberdeen 1 vs. Rangers 4

The first of back to back meetings with Aberdeen came in the league, ahead of the League Cup semi-final in midweek. The first choice centre-halves returned, as did Cicinho. An inspired second half saw them pick up all 3 points after falling behind in the tenth minute via a Vermaelen own goal.

The equaliser came on 52 minutes from who else, Elmander when Martin’s cross was deflected into his path and he put the ball into the top corner. The increasingly prolific Sionko put Rangers ahead on 71 minutes, picked out by sub Garry O’Connor in the box and finishing well. Charlie Adam got the third, also thanks to a fine pass from O’Connor. Adam got a second in injury time, heading in Grindheim’s free-kick. Hudgson praised his subs and Elmander post match ‘Garry (O’Connor) and Charlie Adam really changed the game for us when they came on , and all credit to them. That’s goals in his last 8 matches for Johan, he’s in a real purple patch. Not much to say about the result really, but it might dent Aberdeen ahead of the cup encounter.’

Aberdeen 2 vs. Rangers 1 – CIS Cup S/F

The squad was rotated extensively for this match as Hudgson shuffled his pack. A welcome sight for Gers fans came with the appearance of Chris Burke on the right wing, fit again after some months out. For the second season running, the CIS Cup was to prove elusive as Rangers fell at the semi-final hurdle for a second time under Hudgson.

Goals from Lee Miller and Darren Mackie were enough to overcome LuaLua’s 33rd minute opener in a display Hudgson described as disappointing. ‘I’d rather have lost the league game to be honest, as we’re so far ahead but we’ve lost today instead. We never really got going, but full credit to Aberdeen they were the better side and deserve to be in the final. Who’d have thought the league cup would prove so elusive given how well we’ve done in all other competitions. I quite fancied the idea of back to back trebles, as being realistic we’re probably not going to win the Champions’ League.’

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived