Free Scoring Wingers

Hello,

I'm managing Man United and would like to play 4-2-2-2... 2 centre midfielders, 2 attacking wingers and 2 central strikers. My aim is for my team to play as close to real life as possible. But I can't seem to be able to get my players to perform (especially Ronaldo). Can someone point me in the right direction?

I play extreme short passing, highest tempo, defence push up slightly. Do I need to give my wingers and strikers free roles? And what instructions are suitable for my central mids (defensive or attacking?)

And is there a way to make my wingers cut in instead of going wide all the time?

Any advise, suggestions or tactics I should try out here? :)

Thanks!

Hello,

I'm managing Man United and would like to play 4-2-2-2... 2 centre midfielders, 2 attacking wingers and 2 central strikers. My aim is for my team to play as close to real life as possible. But I can't seem to be able to get my players to perform (especially Ronaldo). Can someone point me in the right direction?

I play extreme short passing, highest tempo, defence push up slightly. Do I need to give my wingers and strikers free roles? And what instructions are suitable for my central mids (defensive or attacking?)

And is there a way to make my wingers cut in instead of going wide all the time?

Thanks!

TBH,there's no point in playing that 4222(or 424).And you can't make them cut in simply because you play 2 strikers.

Playing a lone striker is the answer to making wingers(AMR/AML) play like Messi or Ronaldo

That's one of the reason Ronaldo had a fantastic last season.

Now that Ferguson is playing 442 instead of Queiroz's 4231,he doesn't score so much

By the way I noticed one of the tips that come up during the game on one of the older FM's and it says tempo and passing style are linked.

A short passing game works better with a slower tempo, whereas a direct passing style works better with a higher tempo.

Try the 4231 Pompey it's fantastic, one striker up front (Berbatov) and one behind him (Rooney), two wide AM wingers that get behind the fullback and cut inside. Too bad i got tired of playing big clubs and i only just found that tactic recently, but it's working wonders for my L1 side.

Hello,

Thanks!

I've had some some success with two strikers and attacking wingers getting them to play as you describe. If you put crosses to rarely, high creative freedom, run with ball and forward runs to often it helps.

I've had some some success with two strikers and attacking wingers getting them to play as you describe. If you put crosses to rarely, high creative freedom, run with ball and forward runs to often it helps.

Of course you can have succes with it.It's just that playing a lone striker formation is a key element in getting your wingers to play like Messi or Ronaldo

Oh... So short passing don't go with high tempo? Thought I read it somewhere that they make beautiful fast paced passing game, like Arsenal/ Barca in real life? :)

In general short passing don't go with high tempo, BUT if you have players with excellent technique (like Arsenal and Barcelona) then it's possible.

Or Molde FK. :)

I managed to play quite a short passing game with a reasonable tempo with them in Norway.

Generally direct counter-attacking passing should be quick because it has to catch the opponent off-guard and if it's slow they can just get organised.

If you want to play short passing, slow tempo is easier as short passes are difficult to pull off, so if you're doing it at a high tempo it can mess up easily.

Short passing at a high tempo creates the best football but is the hardest to pull off.

my i suggest that if you do decide to play with one striker ( to make your wingers play like ronaldo/messi) then make your wingers swap positions too. this will result in wingers having better angles for shots on goal; which will result in more goals. this is something i have tried and tested with man u with great success. ronaldo got 30+ goals and nani got 20 in my first season.

Archived