Melfi - Far South in the Basilicata

Loeffle

09.04.06 - 15:00 - Sant'Abruzzese, Melfi - Serie C2/C

Melfi 2nd - Modica 17th (Sicilia) 1:1 (0:1)

Dry 20°C

Attendance: 2203

Referee: Andrea De Faveri

Goals:

0:1 (13')

1:1 Roberto (49')

MoM:

Vito Lunetto (AM RC, Modica) gave his side an early lead, which almost meant three points for them.

The first of the so-called easy home games against weak opposition. When reading B A N last week I started analyzing that we even have a good chance to win the league and direct promotion when we win three out of the last five games, as the other Top 5 teams play each other. After the sad performanca at Nocera last weekend, I kicked Fumagalli (DL) and Gaeta (MR) out of the 1st 11, moving Selvaggi from DMC to DL and starting Cammarota at MR. Cammarota is transfer listed at the moment, so you can see that MR is real disaster area.

Disaster is the perfect word for our performance in the first half against a team that didn't win one of its last eight games. During first half we managed not one shot on or near goal, hardly ever crossed the midfield line. Only Cuomo's 7th yellow card is worth mentioning. Thankfully Modica is a lousy team, so that they only scored one goal after a big marking error. Melfi fans were booing their team for the first time this season at halftime.

Again I was furious at the break and La Porta was sent to the shower. His replacement Gravante had at least some good offensive actions. The equalizer came after a freekick cross by Selvaggi, which was converted nicely by Roberto. After the goal I thought we would be able to outplay Modica. Well, it was only a glimmer of hope as we managed only two more shots. Thankfully Modica was very harmless as well, so that we escaped with a lucky draw.

Viterbo moved into 2nd after beating league leaders Igea Virtus. We drop to 3rd.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

14.04.06 - 16:00 - Sant'Abruzzese, Melfi - Serie C2/C

Melfi 3rd - Rieti 16th (Latium) 2:0 (0:0)

Dry 16°C

Attendance: 2235

Referee: Alessio Bertaso

Goals:

0:1 Rodio (87')

0:2 Lauria (89' - empty net)

MoM:

Gaetano Avolio (D RL, Melfi) our right defender was solid back and assisted the first goal lovely.

Another lowly opponent came to town and I was horrified of another Modica game. I went back to the standard defenders and moved Selvaggi back to central midfield. Loruso who spent most of the year at U 20 got his first start in right midfield and did surprisingly well. Sadly his fitness is not good enough for professional football.

Rieti played like we like to play, very defensively, destructive and on the counter. Thankfully we didn't allow them any counters, but it was hard to create chances against them. But at least we showed determination on this holiday infront of a sold out crowd. Rieti goalkeeper Bonaventura had three good saves before the whistle.

Even if the score was 0:0 I wasn't angry and felt we will win this game. The character ofo the match didn't change, we dominated but Bonaventura saved everything. After 87 minutes, when most of the audience was preparing for a sad Easter Rodio capped his 50th professional match with a lovely goal. Now Rieti opened up and when they had a throw in (!) their goalkeeper joined their attack. Anyway Fumagalli intercepted and passed to Lauria, who scored with a spectacular strike from 65 yards. Rumour has it that scouts of Green Bay Packers will watch him soon to draft him as their new kicker.

We are now level on points with Viterbo and Igea Virtus (one game on hand), while Rende and Taranto are five points back.

23.04.06 - 15:00 - Alberto De Cristofaro, Giugliano - Serie C2/C

Guigliano 8th (Campania) - Melfi 3rd 2:1 (1:1)

Dry 14°C

Attendance: 3728

Referee: Fabrizio Pasqua

Goals:

0:1 La Porta (3')

1:1 (21')

2:1 (89' - penalty)

Another trip to Campania which was certainly not going to be an easy one, as the hosts still had theoretical chances to reach the playoffs. We were optimistically travelling via Napoli to Guigliano still hoping to achieve direct promotion.

The game started perfectly and La Porta converted a lovely Fumagalli cross after only three minutes. Now I secretly thought about the two other games, because we could rely on our strengths: destroy the opponents game and play the counter. Sadly one of our most steady performers, defensive midfielder Selvaggi, had an awful day and more or less assisted Giugliano's equalizer. Now my guys were nervous and forgot what I told them before the match. Anyway the score was still 1:1 at the break.

I tried to restore confidence in the dressing room, but somehow the Melfisti were afraid of what they might achieve. Guigliano was the better team after the break, but it looked like we could escape with an important point. But Selvaggi's replacement Montano was as bad, committing a penalty one minute before fulltime. In extra time we had a final chance to tie the game, but Doumbia wasted it.

Even if we lost we qualified for the playoffs, trailing Igea Virtus for the league lead by four points.

30.04.06 - 15:00 - Domenico Franconi, Latina - Serie C2/2

Latina 12th (Lazio) - Melfi 3rd 0:3 (0:2)

Dry 18°C

Attendance:1256

Referee: Marco Bolano

Goals:

0:1 Roberto (19')

0:2 Rodio (32')

0:3 Roberto (80')

As we were already qualified for the playoffs (are they played like in England or like in the Netherlands?) we could take a relaxed train trip to Latina a town which was only founded in 1932. Latina on the other hand had to fight and win this match to avoid the relegation playoffs.

From the first minute the game went the way I hoped; Latina was nervous and afraid to lose and my guys played without any pressure. They seemed to be a step quicker on all key occasions, winning the ball in the right situations. Quite frustrating for the hosts. The first goal was again assisted by left defender Fumagalli, whose place in the first team was under threat just four weeks ago. Rodio capitalized from a big defensive error and we lead 2:0 after a half we completely dominated. I praised my guys during halftime and told them to continue in same fashion.

That was exactly what they did, and Latina quickly raised the white flag. We even scored a third goal after a very lousy clearance by Latina's goalkeeper. For the first time in his career Roberto scored a Doppelpack.

With a 3:1 over Gallipoli, Igea Virtus Barcellona won the league. The last match decides if we enter the playoffs as second, third or fourth placed team.

07.05.06 - 15:00 - Sant'Abruzzese, Melfi - Serie C2/C

Melfi 3rd - Pro Vasto 6th (Abruzzo) 4:4 (3:2)

Dry 25°C

Attendance: 2221

Referee: Fabrizio Ernetti

Goals:

1:0 Lauria (3')

1:1 (6')

1:2 (11')

2:2 Lauria (28')

3:2 La Porta (40')

4:2 Rodio (71')

4:3 (76')

4:4 (86')

MoM:

Gianmarco Rodio (DM AM C, Melfi) my mastermind in midfield, scored a pearl of a goal.

This game was supposed to become interesting, we were battle for second place, while Pro Vasto could reach fifth place and therefore the playoffs with a win. On the other hand this game became a typical season finale with both teams playing and forgetting about tactics completely. Rodio, La Porta and Lauria all had very good days, while my defense was below the normal standard.

Sadly my starting goalkeeper Nicoletti and starstriker were substituted with hopefully minor injuries. Backup goalkeeper has to get the blame for Pro Vasto's third and fourth goal. Anyway it's no use crying over spoilt milk, because a win wouldn't have give us 2nd place either.

After the game my physio Valvano tells me Lauria will be out between five days and two weeks and backup striker Rubino might miss the first playoff game (still aginst unknown opposition) as well.

Final Standings of Serie C2/2 2005/06

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D.| Pts |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | C | Igea Virtus | | 34 | 10 | 6 | 1 | 26 | 8 | 7 | 2 | 8 | 24 | 26 | +16 | 59 |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | Pl | Viterbo | | 34 | 11 | 4 | 2 | 23 | 9 | 5 | 6 | 6 | 18 | 22 | +10 | 58 |

| 3rd | Pl | M E L F I | | 34 | 8 | 7 | 2 | 25 | 14 | 7 | 4 | 6 | 26 | 18 | +19 | 56 |

| 4th | Pl | Taranto | | 34 | 12 | 3 | 2 | 35 | 16 | 3 | 5 | 9 | 11 | 20 | +10 | 53 |

| 5th | Pl | Rende | | 34 | 7 | 5 | 5 | 27 | 24 | 6 | 6 | 5 | 23 | 22 | +4 | 50 |

| 6th | | Giugliano | | 34 | 8 | 9 | 0 | 26 | 14 | 3 | 6 | 8 | 13 | 21 | +4 | 48 |

| 7th | | Pro Vasto | | 34 | 7 | 8 | 2 | 25 | 13 | 4 | 6 | 7 | 16 | 27 | +1 | 47 |

| 8th | | Cisco Roma | | 34 | 9 | 3 | 5 | 36 | 21 | 3 | 8 | 6 | 19 | 29 | +5 | 47 |

| 9th | | Gallipoli | | 34 | 11 | 3 | 3 | 32 | 22 | 2 | 5 | 10 | 19 | 32 | -3 | 47 |

| 10th| | Vittoria | | 34 | 7 | 7 | 3 | 21 | 11 | 3 | 7 | 7 | 15 | 20 | +5 | 44 |

| 11th| | Real Marcianise | | 34 | 6 | 7 | 4 | 27 | 18 | 4 | 6 | 7 | 18 | 27 | 0 | 43 |

| 12th| | Potenza | | 34 | 8 | 6 | 3 | 23 | 15 | 2 | 5 | 10 | 21 | 38 | -9 | 41 |

| 13th| | Vigor Lamezia | | 34 | 4 | 5 | 8 | 17 | 22 | 6 | 5 | 6 | 19 | 21 | -7 | 40 |

| 14th| Pl | Latina | | 34 | 6 | 5 | 6 | 27 | 26 | 4 | 3 | 10 | 23 | 36 | -12 | 38 |

| 15th| Pl | Rieti | | 34 | 5 | 10 | 2 | 20 | 16 | 2 | 6 | 9 | 10 | 23 | -9 | 37 |

| 16th| Pl | Nocerina | | 34 | 8 | 3 | 6 | 24 | 21 | 1 | 7 | 9 | 13 | 24 | -8 | 37 |

| 17th| Pl | Andria Bat | | 34 | 5 | 4 | 8 | 19 | 23 | 2 | 10 | 5 | 19 | 22 | -7 | 35 |

| 18th| R | Modica | | 34 | 5 | 8 | 4 | 26 | 28 | 2 | 6 | 9 | 14 | 31 | -19 | 35 |

</pre>

10.05.06 - 19:45 - Philips Stadion, Eindhoven - UEFA Cup Final

Panathinaikos - Liverpool 0:2 (0:2)

Dry 8°C

Attendance: 32982

Referee: Eduardo Iturralde González (Spain)

Goals:

0:1 Garcia (6' - penalty)

0:2 Crouch (16')

MoM:

José Manuel Reina (GK, Liverpool)

14.05.06 - B A N

Melfi vs. Taranto in Promotion Playoff Semifinal

Melfi was drawn against Taranto in the semi final promotion playoff. During regular season Melfi lost on the road 2:0 to Taranto, while the home game at Sant'Abruzzese was won 1:0.

The Melfi board provided also 110.000 € to help with the club's running costs. The deficit for the season is still at 549.000 € though.

17.05.06 - 19:45 - Stade de France, Saint-Denis - Champions League Final

Lyon - Inter 0:2 (0:0)

Dry 22°C

Attendance: 79990

Referee: Barry Knight (England)

Goals:

0:1 Martins (65')

0:2 Martins (90')

MoM:

Obafemi Martins (ST, Inter)

17.05.06 - B A N

On the tracks to Taranto

An almost full strength AS Melfi squad will today gather at Melfi Stazione around noon to head south for the first playoff semi final leg. Surprisingly Melfi coach ordered the train tickets already for Friday, two days before kickoff, whilst Melfi usually travelled on match day to save costs.

Fritsche added in a short press talk on Thursday that they plan to take regional instead of express trains to Taranto. The Melfi coach things that sitting in a slower train with less space will increase the team spirit. The squad will take ' tren regionale 3523' to Potenza where they switch to ' tren regionale 3587'. Arrival at Taranto is scheduled for 16:41. In Taranto Fritsche booked rooms at Grand Hotel Delfino where he plans to prepare the Melfisti for the big match. Thankfully Lauria and goalkeeper Nicoletti should be fit for the game, while utility midfielder Gaeta won't make the trip.

21.05.06 - 16:00 - Erasmo Iacovone, Taranto - Serie C2/C Playoff Semi Final Leg 1

Taranto (Puglia) - Melfi 1:2 (1:1)

Dry 34°C

Attendance: 16160

Referee: Emilio Ostinelli

Goals:

1:0 (12')

1:1 La Porta (17' - penalty)

1:2 (51' - own goal)

MoM:

Stefano Fumagalli (D LC, Melfi) ask the journalists why. My MoM was my goalkeeper Nicoletti.

The big match was approaching and we walked there from our Grand Hotel we were becoming nervous. We never ever saw so many people on their way to the stadium, even if it was more than two hours before the kickoff. Besides it was hot, very hot. Remember we are mountain people and this was the first really hot summer day this year. I began to worry as our game is intensive and not every starter is known for his high stamina.

It was easy to pick the first eleven, just picking Gravante over Doumbia was a close call. But Doumbia wasn't in from after his injury, so he went to the bench.

When we entered the arena I estimated that it was filled by 2/3 of the capacity. A lovely stadium and atmosphere indeed. But there were also 1500 people in yellow and green to support us. Who would win the match? Ocean or mountain?

We started slow and it looked as Taranto wanted to decide the semi final in the first 15 minutes. After 12 minutes I had to pay for the decision that my left and right defender should run forward sometimes. A Taranto player had all the time he needed for his cross and Catania scored easily as he was unmarked. We crossed the midline for the first time after 17 minutes. But we entered the penalty box dangerously, and Lauria drew a penalty. La Porta converted easily. Then it was Taranto time again, but with luck and Nicoletti we kept the draw. After 28 minutes we had a great chance through Roberto and Lauria, but they wasted it. Anyway we were lucky to escape with the 1:1 and would have accepted it as a good result for the return leg.

No changes were made and the second half started quieter. After 50 minutes we got a freekic, which didn't look like a threat: Lauria crossed but no striker was even close to convert. Anyway the Taranto goalkeeper fumbled the ball badly into his own goal when he tried catching it. Now the hosts and the crowd were furious and attacked with all they had. I was worried as Cuomo and Selvaggi my two keyplayers in defense looked very exhausted. In the 63 minutes there was turmoil in my box and Taranto had four shots alone, but we weathered the storm. I had to replace Selvaggi with Montano and Roberto with Rubino after 70 minutes as both could hardly run anymore. The Puglians tried again to equalize but once again Nicoletti was playing like a Buffon clone. Even if we didn't manage any counters we sailed home with a shocking 2:1 victory. The stats told 18 shots for Taranto and 3 for Melfi, but that's football.

28.05.06 - 16:00 - Sant'Abruzzese, Melfi - Serie C2/C Playoff Semi Final Leg 2

Melfi * - Taranto 2:3 (2:2)

* 4:4 on aggregate - Melfi advances due their higher league position

Dry 30°C

Attendance: 2264

Referee: Emilio Ostinelli

Goals:

0:1 (1')

1:1 Lauria (17')

1:2 (31')

2:2 Rodio (41')

2:3 Malagnino (78')

MoM:

Andrea Bertelli (M C, Taranto) with two assists the key man for Taranto

After the win on the road we looked with confidence to the second leg, as we could lay back and wait for counters. Also we could nominate the same team as we didn't have any injuries. Sadly our stadium is too small and we had to cancel many ticket requests.

Anyway our game plan was completely undone after Taranto took the lead after 53 seconds. The game was a thrilling one as both teams dropped their gloves and defense seemed not to exist. Lauria equalized in style and we could lay back once more. But of course the Puglians didn't give up yet and their topscorer gave them their second lead. Red-hot Rodio gave as a very important goal just before the break.

I thought the away game rule is applying as well for our playoffs, but my assistant told me that we would always advance if the aggregate score is tied due to our higher position in regular season. So the second half was really boring as we had no reason to look for goals, and Taranto seemed to be tired after a long season. But the battle was not over yet as they scored with their first second half chance. The crowd became quiet and were almost afraid Taranto could add a fourth goal. I substituted one of my strikers for an additional defensive midfielder. A good move as Taranto didn't come close to my goal again.

In the playoff final we will play Rende, who finished the league in 5th position.

After the match it became public that we sold midfielder Andrea Cammarota for 28.000 € to Turris. Cammarota earned a whopping 60.000 €/year, which didn't represent the below average performance he showed this season.

04.06.06 - 16:00 - Sant'Abruzzese, Melfi - Serie C2/C Playoff Final Leg 1

Melfi - Rende (Calabria) 1:1 (0:1)

Dry 28°C

Attendance: 2269

Referee: Nicolò Calò

Goals:

0:1 (12')

1:1 Rubino (83')

Sent off:

La Porta (54' - direct)

Rende 65' - two yellow)

MoM:

Fabrio Angeretti (ST, Rende) scored Rende's goal

Maybe one of the most important games in Melfi's history was approaching and everybody was rather nervous through the week. Thankfully nobody got injured and we could play with full strength. I just replace Gravante with Doumbia in the starting line-up.

The game started slow and both teams were happy to defend. But then there was a thunder out of the blue sky: The Rende goalkeeper kicked a very long ball that was picked up by their starstriker who scored. I didn't think such a thing was possible. Now Rende could play the tactics we like so much; lay back and wait for counters. We created some half chances, but nothing spectacular. Travelling to Rende with this score would be almost the end of our promotion dreams. Just before halftime my best player Lauria suffered a bad hit, but I decided to let him continue even if he was not 100 %.

Second half started bad, very bad, as La Porta got his marchind orders from the referee for a two footed tackle. Guess La Porta was thinking he plays in the Old Firm? I sacrificed a defender, because a defeat wouldn't have been acceptable. Ten minutes after La Porta's exit Leke from Rende followed him. But after a season which almost lasts eleven months now, my guys were tired and a goal wasn't very likely. But then Lauria who could hardly walk anymore played a lovely ball to Rodio, who played Rubino free and the lethal draw was achieved. If we win or get a draw at Rende we will win promotion, when we lose Rende will play in Serie C1 next season. Lauria is doubtful for the match, and it's doubtful if Rubino and Selvaggi are fit for the match.

04.06.06 - B A N

World Cup kicks off - Melfi season still not over

While Melfi still has to face its season finale, World Cup in Germany kicks off with the following groups:

| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | Brazil | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Czech Republic | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 3rd | | Ghana | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 4th | | U.S.A. | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| | | | | | | | | | | | |

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | Morocco | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Saudi Arabia | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 3rd | | Spain | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 4th | | Ukraine | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 1st | | Mexico | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 2nd | | Portugal | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 3rd | | Serbia & Mont. | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 4th | | Togo | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | Holland | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Iran | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 3rd | | Ireland | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 4th | | Uruguay | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | England | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Japan | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 3rd | | Paraguay | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 4th | | Sweden | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | Ecuador | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | France | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 3rd | | Germany | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 4th | | South Korea | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | Angola | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Argentina | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 3rd | | Denmark | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 4th | | Jamaica | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 1st | | Italy | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 2nd | | Ivory Coast | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 3rd | | Norway | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 4th | | Uzbekistan | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

</pre>

11.06.06 - 16:00 - Marco Lorenzon, Rende - Serie C2/2 Playoff Final Leg 2

Rende - Melfi * 0:3 (0:1)

* Melfi win 4:1 on aggregate and win promotion to Serie C1

Dry 24°C

Attendance: 3992

Referee: Piero Bacci

Goals:

0:1 Roberto (27')

0:2 Lauria (58')

0:3 Lauria (80')

MoM:

Luigi Cuomo (DC, Melfi) secured that we won't suffer any goals. Brilliant in second half.

Because many players were suffering from minor injuries I decided to stay in Melfi as long as possible and not travel to Mende two days before the match. So we took a train just before midnight on Saturday evening, changed trains three times just to arrive in Cosenza (seven km's from Mende) at 9:12. We had breakfast in a small bar and spirits were high as all injured and doubtful players were fit enough to play the game.

Due to the red card some changes were necessary anyway. In a surprise move I gave Lorusso the start and also replaced Doumbia by Gravante on the other wing.

I knew that Mende would start offensively and my plan was to keep them coming and play the counter. Rende had some minor chances, but we threatened their goal more more with our quick attacks. The third of those lead to our lead. Mende needed now two goals to win promotion, but they created nothing before half time. I told my guys to stay calm and that they should wait to distribute the hosts their final blow. After 58 minutes the game and playoffs were decided, after Lauria scored in typical fashion. Poor Rende was now just tired, as they also had to play without five regulars and a long season was about to the end. Lauria added his 25th league goal to finish the season.

Just after the final whistle 400 fans in green and yellow stormed the pitch to celebrate Melfi's first promotion to Serie C1.

12.04.06 - B A N

Melfi in celebration

Melfi fans are absolutely ecstatic after their boss Andreas Fritsche beat all the odds to gain promotion from the Italian Serie C2/C.

One fans' spokesperson was heard to remark that Fritsche had performed wonders with the resources at his disposal and that a manager of Fritsche's calibre would be coveted by a lot of higher profile clubs.

The Melfi board have declared that gaining promotion from the Italian Serie C2/C is quite unbelievable achievement given the scepticism surrounding the club's chances of promotion when the season began.

They stated that manager Andreas Fritsche had done a remarkable job at Sant'Abruzzese and hope he will continue to be a success for the club for years to come.

Captain Gianmarco Rodio heaped praise on his current manager Andreas Fritsche following Melfi's promotion from Italian Serie C2/C.

Rodio claimed that Fritsche had done a remarkable job in getting the team promoted and that a lot of the plaudits should head in the manager's direction.

SF: Congratulations on securing promotion to Serie C1. Do you think your current squad is capable of playing at a higher level?

AF: I congratulate my players on winning promotion and think I'm going to build on them next season as well.

13.04.06 - B A N

Final statistics for Melfi Season 2005/06

| Pkd | Inf | Name | Position | Morale | Form | Con | Apps | Gls | Av Rat |

| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| GK | | Michele Nicoletti | GK | Superb | 6-8-6-6-9 | 70% | 44 | - | 7.09 |

| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| S1 | Loa | Raffaele Coscia | GK | Superb | 8-7-7-8-6 | 77% | 0 (1) | - | 6.00 |

| DL | | Stefano Fumagalli | SW, D LC | Superb | 5-8-6-6-8 | 89% | 28 (2) | - | 6.83 |

| DR | PR | Gaetano Avolio | D RL | Good | 6-7-6-6-8 | 94% | 42 (1) | - | 7.02 |

| DC | | Vincenzo Marciano | D LC | Superb | 6-7-6-6-9 | 93% | 42 | - | 6.83 |

| DMC | PR | Luca Selvaggi | D L, DM | Good | 7-8-7-7-8 | 86% | 35 (2) | - | 7.22 |

| S3 | | Luca Patarini | D C | Superb | 7-7-6-7-6 | 94% | 13 (2) | - | 6.67 |

| DC | | Luigi Cuomo | D C | Superb | 6-8-6-7-9 | 94% | 43 | 2 | 7.07 |

| S2 | | Giuseppe Montano | DM | Superb | 6-6-6-6-6 | 93% | 5 (16) | 1 | 6.24 |

| - | Unh | Vincenzo Esposito | DM, M R | Superb | - | 93% | - | - | - |

| AMC | PR | Gianmarco Rodio | DM, AM C | Superb | 8-7-7-6-7 | 89% | 37 (6) | 8 | 7.21 |

| MR | Unh | Giovanni Lorusso | M RL | Superb | 8-6-7-7-7 | 66% | 2 (3) | - | 6.60 |

| S5 | Trn | Andrea Cammarota | M C | Superb | 6-7-6-6-6 | 94% | 12 (10)| 1 | 6.36 |

| S4 | | Carmine Gaeta | AM R | Superb | 7-7-6-7-7 | 88% | 8 (12) | 1 | 6.30 |

| - | PR | Antonio La Porta | AM RL | Good | 8-8-7-7-5 | 100% | 26 (6) | 6 | 6.69 |

| S6 | | Almamy Doumbia | AM L | Superb | 6-7-6-6-6 | 92% | 23 (8) | - | 6.74 |

| ML | | Martino Gravante | AM LC | Superb | 7-8-6-7-8 | 83% | 22 (12)| 2 | 6.76 |

| FC | | Federico Lauria | F C | Superb | 8-7-7-7-9 | 85% | 43 (1) | 28 | 7.27 |

| FC | | Francesco Roberto | ST | Superb | 7-7-6-7-8 | 81% | 33 (7) | 11 | 6.90 |

| S7 | | Antonio Rubino | ST | Superb | 7-6-6-7-6 | 70% | 4 (20) | 2 | 6.38 |

| - | | Jacopo Venturini | ST | Superb | 7-7-7-5-8 | 94% | 4 (5) | 2 | 6.78 |

</pre>

Average attendance: 2004 (5th)

Average rating: Federico Lauria (4th)

Goals: 58 (1st)

Conceded: 36 (5th)

Yellow Cards: 29 (13th)

Red Cards: 2 (11th)

Goalscorer: Federico Lauria - 25 (1st)

Assistant: Gianmarco Rodio - 8 (13th)

Yellow Cards: Luigi Cuomo - 8 (1st)

MoM: Federico Lauria - 6 (2nd)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mavericktango:

Wot no Scotland ? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rather unlikely, remember they have not many points when FM starts ...

In my game they finished their group 5th with fantastics seven (!) points!

14.04.06 - B A N

Season awards

- Manager of the Year:

1st Pasquale Casale (Igea Virtus Barcellona)

2nd Andreas Fritsche (Melfi)

- Team of the Year:

starters

Nicoletti (GK)

Lauria (ST)

backups

Rodio (AM C)

Selvaggi (DM C)

AS Melfi starts vacation today, sadly it can only last two weeks. Coach Fritsche is off to two weeks spa in Druskininkai.

16.06.06 - B A N

European Leagues

C z e c h R e p u b l i c

Gambrinus League:

1st Sparta Praha

2nd Sigma Olumouc

3rd Victoria Plzen

8th Slovan Liberec

15th Pribram

16th Blsany

Second Division:

1st Drnovice

2nd Sparta Praha B

3rd Hradec Kralove

15th Hlucin

16th Xaverov

FC Cup:

Velke Losiny (No League) - Slavia Praha 2:0

E n g l a n d

Premier League:

1st Arsenal

2nd Liverpool

3rd Chelsea

18th Bolton

19th Birmingham

20th Sunderland

Championship:

1st Sheffield United

2nd Coventry

5th Norwich (P)

22nd Hull

23rd Crewe

24th Plymouth

League One:

P: Tranmere, Brentford, Gillingham

R: Port Vale, Bristol City, Southend, Colchester

League Two:

P: Cheltenham, Macclesfield, Grimsby, Wycombe

R: Leyton Orient, Boston United

Conference National:

P: Stevenage, Hereford

R: Canvey Island, Tamworth

Conference Regional:

P: Hyde, Nuneaton, Farnborough, Dorchester

R: Workington, Lancaster, Eastleigh, Thurrock

FA Cup:

Aston Villa - Newcastle 1:0

League Cup:

Portsmouth - Manchester City 0:1

F r a n c e

Ligue 1:

1st Monaco

2nd Auxerre

3rd Bordeaux

18th Troyes

19th Le Mans

20th Metz

Ligue 2:

1st Bastia

2nd Caen

3rd Guingamp

18th Laval

19th Sète

20th Créteil

National:

P: Niort, Libourne St-Seurin, Angers

R: Sannois SG, Croix de Savoie, Moulins, Bayonne

CFA:

P: Mulhouse (Vive l'Alsace!), Racing 92, Rodez, Paris FC

R: Lesquin, Feignies, Vauban-Strasbourg, Gap, Le Pontet, Cassis-Carnoux, Luzenac, Yzeure, Andrézieux, Vitré, Villemomble, Sainte Geneviève

Cup:

Lille - Metz 3:0

League Cup:

Nimes - Lyon 0:2

G e r m a n y

1. Bundesliga:

1st Bayern München

2nd Mönchengladbach

3rd Werder Bremen

16th Köln

17th Hannover

18th Duisburg

2. Bundesliga:

1st Dresden (haha)

2nd Aachen

3rd Karlsruhe

11th Freiburg

15th Siegen

16th Paderborn

17th Unterhaching

18th Offenbach

Regionalligen:

P: St. Pauli, Chemnitz (ROFL!), Bayreuth, Augsburg

R: RW Essen, Emden, Jena, Lübeck, Oberhausen, Regensburg, Koblenz, Aalen, Kaiserslautern II

Cup:

Trier - Bochum II (no league) 2:0

haha icon_wink.gif

I t a l y

Serie A:

1st Juventus

2nd Inter

3rd Milan

18th Empoli

19th Treviso

20th Cagliari

Serie B:

1st Atalanta

2nd Vicenza

P ???

R ???

20th Avellino

21st Mantova

22nd Pescara

Serie C1:

P: Genoa, Sambenedettese, Perugia, Frosinone

R: Fermana, Monza, Pro Patria, Acireale, Gela, Juve Stabia

Serie C2:

P: Venezia, Olbia, Ancona, Carrarese, Igea Virtus, MELFI

R: Pergocrema, Lecco, Bassano Virtus, Castelnuovo, Forli, Castel San Pietro, Latina, Nocerina, Modica

Cup:

Milan - Roma 3:1 o.a.

Serie C Cup:

Napoli - Massese 1:3 o.a.

Congrats on promotion loeffle!! Im loving the story and detail and the team line ups were really good but you stopped it?

And my only advice on your style which I think is great but you put the result before the match report which takes the excitement and mystery out, but ofcourse its your story so you do what you want mate but a few people put score 1st and some put it after which I think is best!

Anyway KUTGW!!

And do you have a reserve team at melfe? how did they do?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cruiseylee:

Congrats on promotion loeffle!! Im loving the story and detail and the team line ups were really good but you stopped it?

And my only advice on your style which I think is great but you put the result before the match report which takes the excitement and mystery out, but ofcourse its your story so you do what you want mate but a few people put score 1st and some put it after which I think is best!

Anyway KUTGW!!

And do you have a reserve team at melfe? how did they do? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks a lot icon_smile.gif And also thanks for the comments. Thought the line ups were boring, so I saved the extra work.

Also the thing with result is a valid idea icon_wink.gif

Melfi has a reserve team, which doesn't play any games icon_frown.gif And a U 20 (where two older players are allowed) who did rather well.

Sadly my story stops for unknown time due to continued crashes.

icon_frown.gif

20.06.06 - B A N

Sports News

- After two draws against Ivory Coast and Uzbekistan, Italy needs a win against Norway and the help of Ivory Coast to reach the next round in World Cup.

After two games played Ukraine, Togo, Angola and Jamaica are already eliminated, while Argentina, Denmark and Spain are in Round 2.

- Melfi announced a new four year sponsorship deal with Maglione

a transport company. The deal is worth 18.000 €/year.

- Melfi also announced the transfer budget for the next season. Melfi coach Fritsche is allowed to spend 3.000 € for new players.

- Rumour has it that Melfi already signed five new players for the upcoming season, one of these transfers might fall through due to the severe financial situation.

- Mama Karla who runs Melfi's head office in her spare time confirmed that Melfi plans to play six friendly games. Two of them against local teams, two of them against "bigger" names and two againt strange teams, as she put it.

Note to the reader: I still play and try to avoid the crashes by saving every week.

27.06.06 - B A N

World Cup 2nd Round - Melfi's friendlies confirmed

Saudia Arabia - CZECH REPUBLIC 2:3 (after penalties)

Spain - BRAZIL 2:3

PORTUGAL - Uruguay 3:1 (after extra time)

SERBIA & MONTENEGRO - Holland 2:0

Germany - ENGLAND 6:7 (after penalties)

FRANCE - Japan 1:0

ARGENTINA - Norway 2:0

Denmark - IVORY COAST 0:1

After returning from his vacation in Lithuania Melfi coach Andreas Fritsche announced the following preseason fixtures:

- 08.07.06 at Cork City

- 14.07.06 at Emmendingen

- 20.07.06 Reggiana

- 26.07.06 Ascoli

- 31.07.06 at Matera

- 05.08.06 at Ruggiero Lauria

I planned trip to Tampere to play local heroes PP-70 broke down as PP-70 ceased to exist.

29.06.06 - B A N

Fans delight at Cilieberto prospect

Despite Stefano Ciliberto being relatively unknown, the fans of Melfi have been bombarding radio phone-ins to praise Andreas Fritsche for his vision on signing the hotly-tipped youngster.

The 17-year-old central defender has described himself as being pleased but daunted by the fans reaction and hopes to repay their faith in him by becoming an integral part of the Melfi first team in the future.

Ciliberto was under contract at Vigor Lamezia, where he didn't make any first team appearances.

30.06.06 - B A N

Mad Chairman disease in Melfi?

The Melfi board announced today that they expect the team to win the Serie C1/B this season. Even if we and coach Fritsche asked the board several if they are serious about this, they confirmed Melfi is expected to win the league.

Melfi was shocking to get promoted from Serie C2 and struggles now seriously with its wage budget and balance. Even staying in Serie C1 would be a big achievement from our point of view.

The Basilicata team will start at home against Lanciano, before travelling to Lucchese.

Melfi supporters who also expect Melfi to win the league, voted Lauria as their player of the year. At least here no surprise.

Melfi also got a new 16 year old defender from their youth team. At the first glimpse this youngster seems to be good only to clean the boots of the 1st team.

Honoured reader: did we face a bug here?

01.07.06 - B A N

New faces at Sant'Abruzzese

- Orlando Urbano 22 year old central defender came for free from Juventus, where he never ever player. Was loaned out to Reggiana, Pavia and Sassari Torres.

- Davide Favaro 22 year old offensive midfielder came for free from Prato (Serie C2). A product of the Milan youth system.

- Ernesto Luca Fiumicelli 22 year old striker cost us 20.000 €, but scored 15 goals for Serie C2 outfit Jesolo last season.

- Dimitris Karameris 23 year old Greek defender and winger signed for free from AEK, where he never played a match. Was a first team regular for Cypriot Apollon last season.

Four players from the U-20 team are released today.

Brindisi and Cecina offer us friendlies. But on very stupid days. I won't ruin my guys for this. Offers declined.

Less than one week to our first friendly in Ireland. Excitement! Everybody is more or less fit, even if I expect some players to leave before the season starts.

Money is a problem (same as last season), expectations of the board are a very big problem. Why do does guys want the title from us?

The following players made our preseason trip to Ireland and Germany:

GK Michele Nicoletti (29 years; 44 games, 44 goals conceded, 16 clean sheats, 4 MoM; 7.09) played a fantastic season for us after coming from no-leauge Ferentina in preseason. Expected to be also this years starter.

GK Guiseppe Angelo Fioretti (21 years; 0 games), came during the winter transfer window to give Nicoletti some cover. Right now sligthly cooncerned because not being the starter. Could push Nicoletti in case he struggles.

D LC Stefano Fumagalli (24 years; 30 games, 0 goals , 4 assists, 0 MoM; 6.83) came also during preseason last year from Ragusa. Played mostly well, but also had some very bad games. He's quick, but marks badly. Not a given starter anymore.

D RL Gaetano Avolio (24 years; 43/0/3/1; 7.02) grew into a key player last season and will also stay a regular in new season. Advantages are that he can play both sides and he's our best tackler.

D R, M RC Dimitris Karameris (23 years; 28/0/6/0; 6.89) was a regular for Greek side Apollon last year. Due to bad marking skills, I see him rather in offensive midfield. Could with some luck become a team leader. Hope he deals well with our mountain climate.

D LC Vincenzo Marciano (19 years; 42/0/0/0; 6.83) when a 19 year old plays in 42 games from the start, I have not to explain anything. He didn't play spectacular, but usually was very solid. Hopefully his development continues this season.

D L, DM Luca Selvaggi (18 years; 37/0/2/2; 7.22) another starlet who broke unexpectedly into the first team. Had a wonderful season in defensive midfield, while he couldn't perform as well as left defender.

D C Luigi Cuomo (23 years; 43/2/1/3; 7.07) our best offensive defender. Sadly he is a bit too slow to become a class act. Most likely again first choice as central defender, even if he might become challanged by one of the new signings.

D C Orlando Urbano (22 years; 35/0/1/3; 7.11) came from Serie C1/B outfit Sassari Torres, where he was a first team regular. Will be a natural team leader, as he is one of the few players in our squad with Serie C1 experience.

D C Stefano Ciliberto (17 years; 0; 0.00) young talent which provides depth as central defender. Didn't make any games for Vigor Lamezia. Has good physical attributes to becaome a very good defender in future.

DM Guiseppe Montano (19 years; 21/1/0/0; 6.24) unlike Marciano and Selvaggi didn't make his breakthrough last season. Came often into the game as substitute. Still a lot of talent, but sadly lacks determination. Will get more starts if one of the other guys gets a long time injury.

DM, AM C Gianmarco Rodio (20 years; 43/8/9/4; 7.21) the key was to use him as playmaker, where he had a brilliant season. Isn't the most dangerous in front of the goal, but otherwise has all the attributs to become the new Micoud.

M RL Giovanni Lorusso (25 years; 5/0/0/0; 6.60) utility man in midfield. Should maybe get more starts to proove his worth. Right now unhappy because not being a starter. Unsure where his path will lead.

AM RC Davide Favaro (22 years; 7/0/0/0; 6.00) wasn't a first team regular for Serie C2/B outfit Prato. Signed him as backup for Rodio, but a bit unsure if he is good enough to Serie C1 football.

AM R Carmine Gaeta (23 years; 20/1/0/0; 6.30) got a couple of chances as a starter, but failed usually. Unsure if he can develop further even if he has some good basic skills. Lacks determination.

AM RL Antonio La Parta (24 years; 32/6/7/2; 6.69) did better than Gaeta even if he also had some bad slumps. In contrary to Gaeta he was highly productive when he was in good form. Is the master of standard situation and a good friend of Federico Lauria.

AM L Almamy Doumbia (22 years; 31/0/7/1; 6.74) didn't make the World Cup squad of Ivory Coast as he was in a bad slump after the winter break. Hopefully he will find his old form in preseason otherwise La Porta might start in lefe midfield.

AM LC Martino Gravante (19 years; 34/2/6/0; 6.76) maybe the player with the biggest potential at Melfi. Didn't show it often, but certainly will get more chances at first team. His future might be playing forward as well.

F C Federico Lauria (31 years; 44/28/5/7; 7.27) had an outstanding season and scored almost half of our league goals. Will also be a key player for us in Serie C1, whilst he hopefully won't become injured. Can show his younger colleagues up front how to score.

ST Francesco Roberto (19 years; 40/11/6/1; 6.90) also a great talent who stepped often up when Lauria was tired or had a bad day. Was especially hot during the last third of our promotion season. Can become a class act for Melfi.

ST Antonio Rubino (17 years; 24/2/2/0; 6.38) a younger version of Roberto and not yet as deadly in front of the goal. Had only four starts last season and will be given time to develop more.

ST Ernesto Luca Fiumicelli (22 years; 32/15/7/3; 7.00) came Serie C2/A team Jesolo where he was almost as effective as Lauria. Will compete with Roberto for the second spot up front. It will be decisive how Lauria, Roberto and Fiumicelli play with each other. Fiumicelli is overweight and has bad stamina.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Loeffle:

27.06.06 - B A N

World Cup 2nd Round - Melfi's friendlies confirmed

Saudia Arabia - CZECH REPUBLIC 2:3 (after penalties)

Spain - BRAZIL 2:3

PORTUGAL - Uruguay 3:1 (after extra time)

SERBIA & MONTENEGRO - Holland 2:0

Germany - ENGLAND 6:7 (after penalties)

FRANCE - Japan 1:0

ARGENTINA - Norway 2:0

Denmark - IVORY COAST 0:1

After returning from his vacation in Lithuania Melfi coach Andreas Fritsche announced the following preseason fixtures:

- 08.07.06 at Cork City

- 14.07.06 at Emmendingen

- 20.07.06 Reggiana

- 26.07.06 Ascoli

- 31.07.06 at Matera

- 05.08.06 at Ruggiero Lauria

I planned trip to Tampere to play local heroes PP-70 broke down as PP-70 ceased to exist. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

C'mon CORK!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

C'mon CORK! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The trip to Cork

Our new sponsor Maglione agreed to pay our trip to Ireland and Germany as long we will use the same route as their containers. Meaning no use of planes. So we sat on the computer and tried to figure out how to make the 2.559 km without using planes.

We started our trip with the squad named some days ago on Thursday evening at Melfi station:

Melfi 18:59 -> Foggia 20:07 Regional Train

Foggia 21:42 -> Torino Porta Nuova 07:05 Express Night Train

Torino Porta Nuova 07:05 -> Torino Porta Susa 07:05 Inter Regional Train

Torino Porta Susa 08:10 -> Paris Gare de Lyon 13:45 Euro City / TGV

Paris Gare de Lyon 13:45 -> Paris Gare de Montparnasse 14:35 Suburban Train

Paris Gare de Montparnasse 16:05 -> Morlaix 19:44 TGV

Morlaix 19:54 -> Roscoff Port De Bloscon 20:24 Bus

Roscoff Port De Bloscon 22:00 -> Cork Harbour 9:00 Ferry

Was a hard trip, but we made it in time for the kick-off. I wonder how the guys dealt with being 42 hours on the road, even if they are used a fair share of train travel from last season.

Sadly we here that the famous John O'Flynn (one of the reasons we wanted to play Cork so badly) isn't playing anymore for City. He's even not known in town, which makes us kind of sad. But anyway to play a team which takes part in Europe is a nice task for us.

08.07.06 / 15:00 / Cork City (Munster, Ireland) - Melfi / Friendly

I was kind of curious how my guys would look like only four weeks after the finale of last season. Already in train I could see that some players are in bad shape and I'm not really sure if my coaches can bring them back to pre-summerbreak-levels. That's why I decided not to start my best players, but those who looked most fit for the game.

Cork City were in my eyes clear favorites despite crashing out in first qualifying round for UEFA-Cup last season and now playing even without their Estonian star coach Tanel Tursk.

My tactics are unchanged compared to last season, despite that I won't use a traditional playmaker anymore and some minor changes in standard situation. The Irish shocked me though by playing a 4-2-4 a system my players never ever saw before.

We were off to a flying start scoring after lass than one minute. Rodio hit the bar, and Il Magico Lauris scored easily on the rebound. The game was a good one and both teams played rather well and open. McCarthy equalized through a lovely free kick, where my goalkeeper Nicoletti didn't look very good. Before the break we had some good chances to take the lead again, but also Cork looked sharp as this was their last game before the Uefa Cup tie against Nistru Otaci.

We didn't make any changes at the break, but I planned to substitute some players after one hour. After the break O'Donovan had a great chance, but he ruined it. As planned I substituted my strikers and a winger after 61 minutes. But right after it Cork took the lead through Gary Walsh. Anyway my Melfisti showed confidence and created a lovely goal when new signing Fiumicelli capped a Favaro - Selvaggi - Rodio combination. 10 minutes later three more exhausted players were substituted. The game looked like a draw now, but Cork's Paul Power scored the goal winner for the hosts. We didn't have the stamina to answer once again. After the match Fiumicelli and Lorusso are slightly injured, we will have to check their injuries at the ferry, as we have only one hour to catch it after the game.

Cork City - Melfi 3:2 (1:1)

Dry 17°C

Attendance: 222

Referee: Jeroen Manders

Melfi 4-4-2

Nicoletti

Fumagalli - Marciano - Cuomo - Avolio

Selvaggi - La Porta - Favaro - Rodio ©

Lauria - Roberto

Goals:

0:1 Lauria (1')

1:1 (17' - direct freekick)

2:1 (64')

2:2 Fiumicelli (67')

3:2 Power

MoM:

Mark Duffy (AM R, ST, Cork) - one assist and many key passes for the Irishman

The trip to Emmendingen

Sadly both Rodio and Lorusso weren't very healthy after the Cork game, but both should be able to play again in at least two weeks. After the game we hurried to the ferry so that we could arrive early next morning in France and make it within one day to Emmendingen:

Roscoff Port De Bloscon 8:30 -> Morlaix 9:04 Bus

Morlaix 9:16 -> Paris Gare Montparnasse 13:25 TGV

Paris Gare Montparnasse 13:25 -> Paris Gare de l'Est 14:15 Suburban Train

Paris Gare de l'Est 14:45 -> Strasbourg 18:41 Express Train

Strasbourg 19:43 -> Offenburg 20:15 Regional Train

Offenburg 20:34 -> Emmendingen 21:14 Regional Train

In Emmendingen we will have one week training camp to prepare for the Serie C1. I guess the weather in my home region is more suited for preseason training that the dry mountaints of the Basilicata. We rented a nice Black Forest style hotel which was close to the footballground of local team FSC Oberprechtal (8th division). Perfect!

09.07.06 - B A N

World Cup Final and 3rd Place Playoff

F I N A L :

Argentina - ENGLAND 0:2 (Owen, Rooney)

3 r d Place:

Czech Republic - PORTUGAL 0:1 (Quaresma)

---

Spain, Holland, Germany, France and Italy sack their managers.

12.07.06 - B A N

World Cup Awards

Golden Boot:

1st Thierry Henry (France), Michael Owen (England)

3rd Carlos Tevez (Argentina)

Best Player:

1st Thierry Henry (France)

2nd Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast)

3rd David Beckham (England)

Best Goalkeeper:

1st Dragoslav Jevric (SaM)

2nd Ricardo (Portugal)

3rd Paul Robinson (England)

14.07.06 - Melfi News

After a very good week of training in the Black Forest, we announce the signing of new coach Maurizio Guido, who is taking care of fitness training from now on.

We also sign a a young goalkeeper and defender on trial

14.07.06 / 19:30 / FC Emmendingen (Südbaden, Grand Duchy of Baden) - Melfi / Friendly

Emmendingen is a team playing in "3rd division group Baden-W.", about the same level we played last season. Therefore I expected a road game where we should be the dominant force. I had to play without Rodio and Lorusso, but could use the two trialists instead. To fill up the bench Addo and France from my U20 came by train from Melfi for the game.

The stadium was virtually empty and it was an unusual cold summer evening in the Upper Rhine Valley. Emmendingen looked very sharp right from the start and they were definetely on fire. We couldn't compete with them at all, and were very lucky not trailing 4:0 at halftime. Some of the new signings showed that they offer no immediate help, especially on bolstering my defense. Really sad performance after such a great week of training. At halftime we had not managed to create one shot on goal.

At the break three men very already exhausted and my promotion strikers hit the field. After only 90 seconds Lauria showed everybody on my roster, how I understand football; making it 1:1. Anyway our defense was still playing stinky allowing Emmendingen to take the lead again. Lauria didn't want to lose this game scoring again after one hour, but referee Jansen (who was said to be part of German referee scandal of 2005) ruled it shockingly out due to non-existant offside. This game was a horror, but worst was that Lauria had to leave the game after 70 minutes due to injury.

Our road trip came to an sad end and hopefully the friendlies in Italy will be much better.

FC Emmendingen - Melfi 2:1 (1:0)

Dry 8°C

Attendance: 85

Referee: Jürgen Jansen

Melfi 4-4-2

Nicoletti

Fumagalli © - Urbano - Ciliberto - Magliocchetti

Montano - Doumbia - Karameris - Gravante

Rubino - Fiumicelli

Goals:

1:0 (12')

1:1 Lauria (47')

2:1 (53')

MoM:

Andreas Schwarz (ST, Emmendingen) gave the hosts the lead

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tanel:

Cork owns! Though grey players right? icon_frown.gif

Anyway, where do you live? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only white player they had was O'Donovan ...

I live in the Black Forst, but work in Freiburg (you might know it from football?).

19.07.06 - B A N

Melfi shipped their 4th choise goalkeeper Raffaele Coscia on a free transfer. Eventually the deal can rise to 8,000 €. Coscia was sold to lower Melfi's wage bill. It is rumoured more back-up players will leave the Basilicata team soon.

Elsewhere are Paul Le Guen (France), Irureta (Spain), Frank Rijkaard (Holland), Marco Tardelli (Italy) and Klaus Toppmöller (Germany) appointed national managers.

20.07.06 / 19:30 / Melfi (Serie C1/B) - Reggiana (Serie C2/B) / Sant'Abruzzese / Friendly

After our trip home from Baden (via Freiburg, Basel, Roma, Napoli and Foggia) we had the first test at home. Reggiana has a big name as they even played in Serie A during the 90'es, but after some drops they are even one league lower than us now. Rodio and Lorruso are still injured, but general fitness is improoving.

Like against Emmendingen we started horrible, after 23 minutes the team from Reggio Emilia lead 3:0 as our defense was non existant. Thankfully we showed some pride and started fighting after the third goal. Favaro scored his first goal for us with a nice header. At the break once again some harsh words and also Fiumicelli had to be substituted again, exhausted.

Second half was better, but of course its hard to level a 3:1 deficit during preseas on. Gravante scored our second goal with a lovely freekick late in the game. But it was too late, our third defeat in the third friendly was a fact.

Melfi - Reggiana 2:3 (1:3)

Dry 22°C

Attendance: 144

Referee: Nicola Giovanni Ayroldi

Melfi 4-4-2

Fioretti

Selvaggi - Ciliberto - Urbano - Magliocchetti

Montano - Gravante © - La Porta - Favaro

Lauria - Fiumicelli

Goals:

0:1 (7')

0:2 (20' - direct freekick)

0:3 (23')

1:3 Favaro (25')

2:3 Gravante (78' - direct freekick)

MoM

Oluwashegun Akeem Omolade (ST, Reggiana) one goal, one assist - too good for the Melfi defense

21.07.06 - B A N

Melfi squad gets thinner

Today Cavese, a Serie C2/B team, announced they signed Melfi defender Luca Patarini for free. Patarini made 15 appearances for the Melfisti last season.

Striker Jacope Venturini was also traded this week. He signed for non-leaguers Altamura.

Another player who is rumoured to leave soon is Giovanni Lorusso.

25.07.06 - B A N

Serie C Cup groups drawn

Group J:

Melfi C1/B

@ Guigliano Serie C2/C

Olbia C1/B

Real Marcianise Serie C2/B

@ Sassari Torres Seire C1/B

First game for Melfi will be on 16th August at home against Real Marcianise.

26.07.06 - 19:30 - Melfi (Serie C1/B) - Ascoli (Serie A, Marche) / Sant'Abruzzese / Friendly

After the awful performances so far I just expected the worst against Serie A outfit Ascoli. Still I decided to start my best players and give them a fight, because we sold many tickets before the game.

The game started as expected and Ascoli scored already after less than two minutes played. I feared this game might become a fiasko as Ascoli continued to roll over us. Thankfully my goalkeeper Nicoletti was in good form. Our equalizer came more or less out of the blue sky when Gravante, who had to be substituted injured at half time, converted another lovely freekick. Our fans couldn't celebreat long, because the Marche team scored another goal to take the lead. Anyway the first half was better than those in the last two games.

Five minutes into the second half young Selvaggi showed that he can also hit freekicks, making it 2:2. But once again Ascoli played with our defense taking the lead shortly after. We didn't give up and once again it was Lauria who scored our third goal. Ascoli won the game deservedly, even if Lauria had the chance to equalize in the 92nd minute.

Even if we lost now four in a row, it gives us confidence to see that we could score three goals against a team that has six internationals.

Melfi - Ascoli 3:4 (1:2)

Dry 22°C

Attendance: 2191

Referee: Daniele Tombolini

Melfi 4-4-2

Nicoletti

Marciano - Urbano - Cuomo - Avolio

Selvaggi - Gravante © - Karameris - Favaro

Lauria - Roberto

Goals:

0:1 (2')

1:1 Gravante (33' - direct freekick)

1:2 (37')

2:2 Selvaggi (50' - direct freekick)

2:3 (57')

3:3 Lauria (65')

3:4 (81')

MoM:

Sasa Bjelanovic (ST, Ascoli) the best of Ascoli's striker, scoring one goal

27.07.06 - B A N

Lorusso latest Melfi cleanup victim

As expected Giovanni Lorusso left Melfi before the start of the new season. He was traded to Latina for no fee, but the Serie D team has to pay if he plays some games for them.

The Melfi board announced, that they are now under the projected wage bill for this season.

Archived