League 2 Thread 2008/2009

merry_miller

Wiggins was a relieved man after watching Procter sky the spot-kick, because he was the player guilty of giving away the penalty.

The 21-year-old was penalised for a trip on Stanley’s Peter Cavanagh, but he thought referee David Phillips’s decision was incorrect.

“I wasn’t happy with it at all,” said Wiggins.

The linesman told me it was outside the box but he didn’t give the authority to the ref so I was disappointed with the linesman, but I think justice proved.

“I think I definitely touched him but it was miles outside the box and that’s the thing I was disappointed with.”

Jesus H. Christ.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

I need to find a pub in Derby willing to show the match, so not going to happen as they'll all have the cricket on I guess :( Otherwise have to watch it via other means I guess...

I haven't had SNN on but have put it on now and will give my view on Jane Ledsom later once I've seen it

:( like the last two seasons before this I am just now waiting for relegation and for next season to start in the BSP.

Ignoring the points deductions then we are well into the bottom half of the table . I can't even remember when we last won. I am concerned that for the third time now Nico has come back from injury and now gone and done his hamstring in again. He is a Luton legend and it is great he loves the club but it hasn't worked this season and we've had to get top players like Drew Talbot off the wage bill when Nico's salary is taking up a large chunk, obviously at the start of the season everyone probably thought Nico would be fully fit and our best player but if his hamstring is never going to recover it needs to be decided if he should be kept next year. I am also now getting fed up with Harford's baffling tactics. Ed AA had a great game at centre back the other week, he is right footed and we had Howells on the bench but today Harford plays him at left back! This was clearly so he could somehow accomodate Ed and Roper when that was not the best option. McVeigh played well in December and isn't getting a game while Jarvis continues to play poor every week. Henderson scores today and seems to be our best player but Harford takes him off as soon as he scores more or less and brings on Parkin. If Harford is still to be here next year he needs to start planning for next season quick as I think we will again need a whole new squad, when I think about it there is only 3 or 4 players I really would want to keep.

The league doesn't matter now as we are down but Tuesday's game is massive. If we go down our fanbase will decline slightly but if we get to Wembley there are so many people that have only been to a few Luton games in their life that would decide to go and support us there and if we won it hopefully support us in the conference. I can just see it going wrong Tuesday unfortunatly.

Two funny things happened at todays game though. Firstly the ball came into the Luton end and this man just grabbed it and kicked it out of the ground. Also fans were chanting to the Dagenham fans 'you all support West Ham' and at the end of the game a few people spotted a boy come out of the Dagenham end wearing a West Ham top!

Haha, just seen this post. Did you see those 8 year olds giving it? :D

The chants towards them were priceless.

TUESDAY 17 FEBRUARY

Bradford         0 – 0    Darlington
Dag & Red        0 – 1    Wycombe
Gillingham       4 – 4    Aldershot 
Macclesfield     1 – 1    Notts County 
Rochdale         1 – 1    Morecambe
Shrewsbury       1 – 0    Chester  

P     GD    Pts

1    Brentford        31    +20     56
2    Wycombe          30    +17     56
3    Bury             31    +13     53
--------------------------------------
4    Shrewsbury       32    +20     52
5    Rochdale         30    +17     52
6    Bradford         31    +17     52
7    Exeter           31     +9     50
8    Darlington       28    +19     48 
9    Dag & Red        31    +21     47
10   Gillingham       31     -1     47
11   Lincoln          29     +3     38
12   Chesterfield     28     +4     37
13   Morecambe        31     -6     37
14   Aldershot        29     -9     37
15   Notts County     31     -9     36
16   Macclesfield     30    -23     33
17   Port Vale        29    -16     31
18   Rotherham        28     +8     29
19   Accrington       30    -14     28
20   Chester          32    -27     25
21   Grimsby          30    -22     23
22   Barnet           30    -25     23
23   Bournemouth      30     -7     18
24   Luton            29     -9      2 

That showed the difference in class between the two divisions. Played crap vs Macclesfield and Gillingham, got 2-0 wins against both. Played crap vs Scunthorpe, get beat 1-0.

Still think the second half non-performance in the first leg cost us the tie though.

Quite happy for Luton to win the trophy...

...the Sunday after we relegate them at Kenilworth Road on the Tuesday night.

YEASSSS! Luton. All that needs to be said really. Will probably get tonked by Scunthorpe in Wembley but I couldn't care. Would love to win it, but just glad we are there. Finally, a bit of reward to the fans

• SI Staff
On Monday evening, Harford gathered the team and showed them a highlights tape of Luton’s win over Arsenal in the 1988 Littlewoods Cup final, in which he played. He also called in John Faulkner, the former Luton player and coach, now a motivational speaker, who talked about sport, stress and the big occasion: Matthew Pinsent in the Olympics, Colin Montgomerie in the Ryder Cup.

Thats one way to make sure players don't go out night before a match :D , worked :cool:

Also in the article says losses are now down to £50,000 a month. Oustanding when this time last year we were lossing £400,000 a month. Get rid of the last few high paid players who we can't afford in the summer when their contratcs are up and reckon if we could somehow stay in league 2 we could break even next year

reckon if we could somehow stay in league 2 we could break even next year

That would be nice but unfortunatly there is no chance that we will somehow stay in League 2. :( If we won 10 games back to back maybe but we haven't won 2 in a row for nearly 3 years! :D

Mallen is always optimistic :D

Well he wont be if Luton sign Moses Ashikodi who is apparently on trial with them, he is one of the worst footballers i have ever seen and thats saying something as i've seen a lot of ***** being a Hereford fan :D

Another Friday night game for us tomorrow, I suspect because the county police need to send their entire force to the City Ground on Saturday morning for Forest v Derby. So another game following online unfortunately :(

So Bournemouth at home tomorrow, then Barnet at home next week. With a couple of games in hand, I'm still clinging to the faint hope we can muster a late playoff charge... but if we don't get six points from these two I'll have to accept the season's over.

A developer has confimred they want to build 5,000 homes west of Luton including a swimming pool, tennis centre, cricket centre, rugby ground and most importantly a 20,000 seater stadium, training facilities and a football acadamy. Be lovley if it happened!

Good result for us last night. Apparently Bournemouth really came us in the second half, and we were a bit lucky to hang on. But by all accounts their keeper should have been sent off early on. 10 points behind 7th place now, but still with 2 games in hand - so I'm not totally giving up hope. Crucial few weeks now, with midweek games coming think and fast.

Oh, in other news we have finally taken possession of the land for our new ground \o/

It's now officially under the control of the club, so it looks like it's definitely happening. Really never thought I'd see the day tbh :D

oh for god sake Dean Brill in goal for us and no sign of Price in the squad, either injured or recallled then :(

Brill should be a perfectly capable League 1 GK IMHO, so he should be fine in L2. I hope he gets some confidence back

Norwich want to keep Spillane, Bryan Gunn saying he would have recalled him had he been appointed one week earlier. Kinda hoped we would keep him, but in hindsight he would always be too good for us

EDIT: Nothing on the Outlaws about Price either, presume its an injury TBH

The Town are staying up!!!

Well probably not but although not the best performance today was a well fought win. Keith Keane makes a huge difference to the team and the backline of him Ed, Bower and Sol seemed to work. Move Keane up to midfield and put Spillane at centre back, or even Spillane in midfield, and we can win on Tuesday. Tom Craddock was again excellent as well today.

FRIDAY 20 FEBRUARY

Chesterfield     1 – 0    Bournemouth
Port Vale        0 – 1    Lincoln

SATURDAY 21 FEBRUARY

Accrington       0 – 0    Dag & Red 
Aldershot        0 – 2    Morecambe    
Barnet           4 – 1    Bradford 
Bury             2 – 0    Notts County
Chester          0 – 0    Exeter
Darlington       1 – 0    Grimsby
Gillingham       3 – 1    Macclesfield
Luton            3 – 1    Shrewsbury
Rochdale         1 – 2    Brentford

MONDAY 23 FEBRUARY

Wycombe          0 – 0    Rotherham

P     GD    Pts

1    Brentford        32    +21     59
2    Wycombe          31    +17     57
3    Bury             32    +15     56
4    Shrewsbury       33    +18     52
5    Rochdale         31    +16     52
6    Bradford         32    +14     52
7    Darlington       29    +20     51 
8    Exeter           32     +9     51
9    Gillingham       32     +1     50
10   Dag & Red        32    +21     48
11   Lincoln          30     +4     41
12   Chesterfield     29     +5     40
13   Morecambe        32     -4     40
14   Aldershot        30    -11     37
15   Notts County     32    -11     36
16   Macclesfield     31    -25     33
17   Port Vale        30    -17     31
18   Rotherham        29     +8     30
19   Accrington       31    -14     29
20   Barnet           31    -22     26
21   Chester          33    -27     26
22   Grimsby          31    -23     23
23   Bournemouth      31     -8     18
24   Luton            30     -7      5 

Haha Rhodes can't even get in the first sixteen (though should do as he's our only proper winger.) Reid should start every game but doesn't despite being our best striker, maybe an attitude problem.

Still a draw away at Wycombe is a decent result even though we stank the place out.

Rhodes our only proper winger? Have you watched Jamie Green recently? Have you forgotten about Omar Garcia? (Although it appears Robins has) More concerning is the lack of anyone to play wide on the right. All our other midfielders are clones of each other.

Reid our best striker? I know they're a poor bunch, but that lazy oaf isn't best at anything, unless it's running away from the ball / not running towards the ball.

Crazy going's on at Notts County today. The council issued some rubbish health and safety report that is actually out of date, as all the required fixes were done in pre season, Obviously trying to direct attention away from thier beloved Forest.

Some idiot at Notts also leaked take over details to the press and the investors are now having second thoughts. Said person has resigned with immediate effect.

Notts County circus keeps on rolling :(

Rhodes our only proper winger? Have you watched Jamie Green recently? Have you forgotten about Omar Garcia? (Although it appears Robins has) More concerning is the lack of anyone to play wide on the right. All our other midfielders are clones of each other.

Reid our best striker? I know they're a poor bunch, but that lazy oaf isn't best at anything, unless it's running away from the ball / not running towards the ball.

Jamie Green's a wing back not a winger. Playing out of position being consistently so far forward. Not forgot about Omar Garcia but didn't particular see anything in him in the couple of times i saw him - Robins sees him in training/reserves etc and obviously doesn't see owt in him or he'd at least get in the squad.

How can Reid not be the best striker at the club ? He's our only striker that even looks like scoring on an half regular basis rest of our strikers couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo.

Bet Grimsby are bricking it now, Bournemouth 2 points behind now, will be above Grimsby by the weekend.

Archived