League 2 Thread 2008/2009

merry_miller

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went down to Luton today. Up until the goal we were excellent. After it, we looked hesitant and Luton began to take control but second half we were top class. Luton barely got a kick and whilst we were fortunate for the equaliser we quickly got the second and from then on rarely looked threatened.

Quick point regarding the Luton fans, they were awfully quiet. Not sure how loud we were but the only time I heard any Luton fans was for the 5 minutes after their goal. I was expecting them to be noisy but they didn't seem to get behind the team like you would expect them to.

Think Luton fans have started to loose the fight, had enough of seeing us blow leads every week

Possibly, just seemed odd. Incidentally, were we loud? It seemed loud in the stand but I'm not sure if the sound travelled. It was my first visit to Kenilworth Road and its a decent ground apart from the total lack of leg-room.

didn't the football league ban that, thougnt away fans had to get the same prices as home fans and if club did any special offers had to be done for away fans aswell

Thats what i thought tbh - stock football league reply was it's perfectly fine as clubs are allowed four promotional games a season where they can discriminate between home fans & away fans

Oh and two goals margin of victory today :cool: first time we've done that since October according to the Green un.

..................... Are you watching Scunthorpe

I've found out the white flag, ready to wave it if we don't beat Grimsby Tuesday night :(

Today is the first time all season I've considered the fact we might not stay up

Are we down? Tell me it wont happen :(

Possibly, just seemed odd. Incidentally, were we loud? It seemed loud in the stand but I'm not sure if the sound travelled.

You could here the Bury fans at some points. Obviously you seemed louder second half when you were more in control of the game.

Thats disapointing, I was looking foward to it as I was hoping the players would be really fired up and wanting a win after Saturday. But if it saves money then it is the best decision. I don't know what the forecast is but if the weather stays like this for the rest of the week then i'd guess there is a chance Saturday's match up at Accrington could end up getting called off as well.

I've seen a few rumours linking us with Paul Terry again, don't know if there is any truth but we could do with another midfielder.

Orient have, as expected, extended Dean Morgan's loan until the end of the season. I guess you'll be happy because you never have to see him in a Luton shirt again. It's a reasonable deal for us because we won't be burdened with him for next year, and right now we need anybody with a modicum of upside.

Regarding Paul Terry, I've heard this also and if other rumours come to pass (I.e. us signing Jimmy Smith) its plausible. He's a purely defensive midfielder, but not capable of doing a job in League 1 anymore. To be honest I'm not sure he'd be capable enough in League 2 either.

No other transfer news from our place as yet. I was hoping we'd make a move for a goalkeeper, but it doesn't look to be happening... at the moment we've only got Tommy Lee at the club. Trevor Carson got recalled by Sunderland, and a youngster that signed pro terms last summer has already been released.

We were supposed to be having another look at Crystal Palace's Scott Flinders, who played a couple of games for us in preseason. All gone quiet though - mind you, we can still sign players on loan after today.

• SI Staff

Paul Terry thing won't happen imo, meerly a rumour made up based upon Terry being Nicholls best man at his wedding.

Delighted Morgan isn't coming back as keeps the wage bill under control, suppose it means we'll keep Parkin now when I'd rather have got rid now

We've signed Liam Feeney from Salisbury and Anton Robinson from Weymouth for nominal fees. Dunno about Feeney but he's a much needed winger, quite pleased with Robinson as well.

No Beavon though :(

edit: All subject to FL rubber stamping ofc

I must say after googling Price it looks like he was very highly rated when he was at Ipswich, along with the Bower loan and Craddocks move that is 3 very good players we've brought in this January. It must be true what people say about Mick being able to spot a good player, just a shame he doesn't really understand tactics and makes bizare decisions.

We've signed Lewis Price on loan from Derby. I guess that is bye to Conrad Logan as I can't see any other we would sign another goalkeeper. Leicester must want him back.

Price was set to come to Hereford on loan but instead we have gone for 18 year old Liverpool Keeper Peter Gulacsi who has no experience, probably would have prefered Price as when i've seen him he's done well.

• SI Staff

what a suprise Chester are one of few clubs not to call their game off so far, somebodies desperate for some more gate money to pay the few players they have left. Reckon they might draw crowd of under a thousand tonight if their attendance for Luton match was anything to go by

more news from Saltergate:

Peter Till's loan extended until the end of the season - good news, looked sharp so far.

Jared Wilson signs on loan from Birmingham. A right back apparently, aged 20.

Guess that mean Picken will sign for us in close season? can't understand why you would let him go, he is awesome.

• SI Staff

Price has come in as Logan has left, we arranged a deal with Leicster to keep him for the season and then his greedy good for nothing agent came in with some stupid payment demands and we told him to get stuffed, when will players learn to do the same to their agents

enjoy championship reserve team football Conrad :thup:

According to the Luton News we bid to sign Spillane and Martin permantly but their new manager wants to keep them. I wonder if they would have joined as they would both be on a different level to other conference players. It does say Spillane's Norwich contract is up in June so you never know.

Also says we apparently tried to sign Zesh Rehman (Pakistain captain) as it would have helped attract fans from the local community but he chose Bradford instead. Apparently all the meat served in Kenilworth Road is halal now as well. I think it is good 2020 are trying to do these things to try and get the local community to come to the football but I still think it would be better for a one off match maybe to say anyone who lives within 3 miles of the ground gets in half price sort of thing.

• SI Staff

there's a heck of alot of people who live within 3 miles of the ground :D

I'm not really for going out of our way to attract the local fan base, they've shown in the past they've got sod all intrest in the club and can't see us changing it, they all walk around in their premiership shirts and at a time when on the pitch has been so dire last few seasons how can we get them to change.

I'd much rather efforts were made in youth development and attracting the future fans if that means they're from Luton or not, do what they did when I was a kid and anyway that goes to the holiday training schemes gets a pair of free tickets, we'll have enough spare seats next season. Lets give the cheap tickets to those that will re invest in the future, they gave me 2 free tickets when I was 9 and made god knows how much out of me since !

However they can feel free to track down the pair of Polish blokes who stood behind me when Fojut was at the club and give them free tickets, they were mental for the bloke and really got behind the team, man I'd love Fojut back so much

MONDAY 2 FEBRUARY

Bradford         P – P    Darlington  

TUESDAY 3 FEBRUARY

Aldershot        P – P    Chesterfield
Chester          0 – 2    Rochdale  
Dag & Red        P – P    Bournemouth
Exeter           P – P    Port Vale
Lincoln          P – P    Macclesfield
Luton            P – P    Grimsby 
Morecambe        2 – 0    Brentford
Notts County     P – P    Gillingham  
Rotherham        P – P    Bury        
Shrewsbury       2 – 0    Accrington 
Wycombe          P – P    Barnet    

P     GD    Pts

1    Wycombe          28    +17     53
2    Brentford        28    +15     49
3    Bury             29    +12     49
--------------------------------------
4    Rochdale         28    +16     48
5    Darlington       27    +19     47 
6    Shrewsbury       29    +19     46
7    Gillingham       28     +3     46
8    Bradford         28    +14     45
9    Dag & Red        28    +21     43
10   Exeter           28     +4     43
11   Chesterfield     27     +5     37
12   Lincoln          28     +3     37
13   Aldershot        27     -8     36
14   Morecambe        28     -8     32
15   Notts County     29    -11     32
16   Macclesfield     27    -18     32
17   Port Vale        28    -14     31
18   Accrington       28    -13     27
19   Rotherham        27     +6     26
20   Chester          29    -21     25
21   Barnet           28    -23     22
22   Grimsby          27    -21     21
23   Bournemouth      28     -9     12
24   Luton            28     -8      2 

more news from Saltergate:

Peter Till's loan extended until the end of the season - good news, looked sharp so far.

Jared Wilson signs on loan from Birmingham. A right back apparently, aged 20.

Guess that mean Picken will sign for us in close season? can't understand why you would let him go, he is awesome.

Wouldn't be sure about that, he signed a 2-year deal last August, so he's under contract to us until June 2010. Can't understand why we've let him go out to be honest... he must have requested a move because we went out and signed two more defenders on Monday that the club have termed "emergency loans".

So five played in the end:

SATURDAY 7 FEBRUARY

Accrington       P – P    Luton       
Barnet           P – P    Rotherham 
Bournemouth      1 – 0    Shrewsbury 
Brentford        3 – 0    Chester  
Bury             2 – 2    Dag & Red
Chesterfield     P – P    Lincoln 
Darlington       P – P    Wycombe  
Gillingham       0 – 2    Bradford
Grimsby          2 – 2    Exeter      
Macclesfield     P – P    Notts County
Port Vale        P – P    Aldershot 
Rochdale         P – P    Morecambe 

P     GD    Pts

1    Wycombe          28    +17     53
2    Brentford        29    +18     52
3    Bury             30    +12     50
4    Rochdale         28    +16     48
5    Bradford         29    +16     48
6    Darlington       27    +19     47 
7    Shrewsbury       30    +18     46
8    Gillingham       29     +1     46
9    Dag & Red        29    +21     44
10   Exeter           29     +4     44
11   Chesterfield     27     +5     37
12   Lincoln          28     +3     37
13   Aldershot        27     -8     36
14   Morecambe        28     -8     32
15   Notts County     29    -11     32
16   Macclesfield     27    -18     32
17   Port Vale        28    -14     31
18   Accrington       28    -13     27
19   Rotherham        27     +6     26
20   Chester          30    -24     25
21   Grimsby          28    -21     22
22   Barnet           28    -23     22
23   Bournemouth      29     -8     15
24   Luton            28     -8      2 

• SI Staff

meh are only hope is Chester carry on their woeful form and hit administration as can't see them picking up many points. Then just need a bit of luck to catch one of the others. Only positive is all the midweek games we have mean if we could string a few wins together it shouldn't be that hard to keep momentum going

Just so annoyed we'll be non league next season while woeful sides such as Chester who the owner doesn't want to keep and can barley name a squad each week get to stay in the league

chester were genuinely utterly abysmal today, so you'll probably only need 25 points to not finish bottom, less if they go into admin.

second hat trick one of our players has scored in 3 matches as well, which makes it even more of a shame that we will lose away at accrington on tuesday (assuming it goes ahead)

For the first time in a while, I'm starting to think we might be able to actually do this :thup:

Also, although its a long way off, I've just seen our last few games of the season. Could be interesting:

Saturday, 11 April 2009

Barnet v Bournemouth

Monday, 13 April 2009

Bournemouth v Brentford

Saturday, 18 April 2009

Chester v Bournemouth

Saturday, 25 April 2009

Bournemouth v Grimsby

Saturday, 02 May 2009

Morecambe v Bournemouth

Archived