Wayne Rooney!!

Just need some advice on how to set him up, because his match ratings on my game go from poor to ok,

i am playing a 4411 system with attacking wings and him in the hole behind Berbatov.

I play him like this:

Normal mentality-Around 13

Normal CF (very middle marker on slide)

Passing-set to mixed

FwR-often

RwB-often

Long Shots-mixed/rarely

TTB-often

CB-often

Cross from mixed

Free Role aswell

Just some advice would help, cheers

Don't manage Man Utd, but tbh I'd give him:

Attacking mentality (1 or 2 into attacking mentality from normal)

High CF (about midway between centre bar and max)

Passing - Team

FWR - Mixed/normal

RWB - Often

Long shots - mixed

TTB - mixed

CB - mixed

Cross from - mixed

I would not give him a free role, though. IMO, if you're playing with Tevez or Berbatov, they'd be better options for a free role - perhaps Berbatov especially.

i'm playing Berbatov with the following instructions and it seems to be working well so far:

Attacking mentality-Around 19

High CF (around 16)

Passing-set to mixed

FwR-mixed

RwB-mixed

Long Shots-rarely

TTB-mixed

CB-rarely

Is the large gap in their cf and mentalities creating a problem?

i do find tevez and beratov don't play that well together

tevez

16 ment

16 creative

team passing

20 closing down

team tackling

mixed frw runs

often run with ball

mixed long shots

mixed ttb

mixed cross ball

berbs

16 ment

16 creative

team pass

8 closing down

team tackling

mixed f runs

mixed rwb

rare long shots

often ttb

rare cross ball

i do find tevez and beratov don't play that well together

tevez

16 ment

16 creative

team passing

20 closing down

team tackling

mixed frw runs

often run with ball

mixed long shots

mixed ttb

mixed cross ball

berbs

16 ment

16 creative

team pass

8 closing down

team tackling

mixed f runs

mixed rwb

rare long shots

often ttb

rare cross ball

What sorta results in terms of performances from the two of them? Your set up for Rooney is working very well. Highly impressive. You don't have Berbs or Tevez holding up the ball or either of them with a free role, no? just making sure before i implement the settings into my tactic.

tevez and berbs can play free role i will test when rooney is inj.. but both are not quite strong enough to hold up ball..

i try and play as man utd do irl lots of different goalscorers but as long as my strikers are getting a goal every 2 matches i'm more than happy.

tevez and rooney have been great i might try berbs on a free role when he gets a game

Rooney doesn't scores for me. He is just shooting balls at the opponent 'keeper. Absolute frustration to watch him on 3D, I've given up on him and paired Aguero with Tevez, who are good friends and taking turns to score. I'm just hoping moneybags Real Madrid can come buy off Rooney for 50 million so that i can improve my defence. Lol. Like the way they bought off my Messi, who wasn't doing much, for 73million.

I'm finding him a real curiosity. My assman keeps reminding me that he's suffering a goal drought - in fact he hasn't scored in 14 games. Yet his contribution is excellent and he bucks the FM09 habit of giving strikers who don't score or win headers decent ratings. Both he and I aren't worried about his lack of goals. I supposed, therefore, that his performance for me reflects real life; maybe when he does finally get his first goal, he'll score in the next 10 games! By the way, I'm using a 3-4-3 with three strikers.

I've got Rooney playing the AMC role in a 4-2-3-1 formation - the best settings I've found for him are as follows...

Mentality = 16 (in a 'standard' bands-of-two mentality structure)

CF = 15

FWR = Rarely

RWB = Mixed / Often

LS = Mixed

TB = Often

Cross Ball = Mixed

Free Role Ticked

Having his forward runs on rarely really gets the best out of his Free Role movement. He still gets in the box on the end of crosses etc. too! I've noticed that the setting for Cross Ball has a significant effect on how far wide he moves - if it's on Often you will see him in line with your winger at times. I've found mixed lets him operate perfectly in the 'hole' with enough range to lose any DMC.

I've got Rooney playing the AMC role in a 4-2-3-1 formation - the best settings I've found for him are as follows...

Mentality = 16 (in a 'standard' bands-of-two mentality structure)

CF = 15

FWR = Rarely

RWB = Mixed / Often

LS = Mixed

TB = Often

Cross Ball = Mixed

Free Role Ticked

Having his forward runs on rarely really gets the best out of his Free Role movement. He still gets in the box on the end of crosses etc. too! I've noticed that the setting for Cross Ball has a significant effect on how far wide he moves - if it's on Often you will see him in line with your winger at times. I've found mixed lets him operate perfectly in the 'hole' with enough range to lose any DMC.

I also prefer playmaker-type players like Kaka,Riquelme as AMC with Fwr Rarely.Looks like Rooney can do it too

why do you put rarely for forward run?

FWR rarely allows him to drop deep and become involved in the build up play. However, when the ball is ahead of him his high mentality gets him into the box on the end of crosses or flick-ons. Don't think that FWR rarely in this case would prevent him getting into scoring positions as I did at first.

Watch for yourself in 'full match' mode what happens with FWR set to often - when the midfielders have the ball he will run forward immediately and stay in line with the opposition back four. This is not 'playing in the hole' and he is easily marked by one of the DCs. The only supply option available to him in this case is a ball over the top of the defence which is a low percentage success play.

FWR rarely combined with Free Role sees him roaming around to find space allowing your midfield to pass him the ball for him then to work his magic - either stake a shot, try to dribble past the DCs or play in your wingers or centre forward. In my standard tactic, if the midfield bypass Rooney altogether and play a ball straight to Berbatov, Rooney will sometimes read the play and run on to a headed flick on (without needing to set any TM / Run on to Ball options). FYI, in my standard tactic Berbatov has a mentality of 10 or 11 (sorry, I can't remember exactly which) and 'poacher' settings as set out in wwfan's TT&F 09 guide.

James8, what tactic do you use? Ronaldo and Rooney both sucks in my save :(

I'm using a 4-2-3-1 formation: Back 4, 2 MCs, AMR, AML, AMC & FC. I adapted it from the 4-2-3-1 which uses 3 AMCs in wwfan's TT&F download pack. I just moved the 2 outer AMCs to AMR and AML and the made the instruction settings I posted earlier.

I'd say what I have is a good starting point but there is still room for improvement in terms of scoring more goals.

Since the patch was released I find Rooney is performing much better in the AMC role with the settings I posted here. My team is scoring many more goals using the 4-2-3-1 formation than before.

I have learned that I really get the best out of him using the 'Expect a performance!' pre-match talk. When his previous game ratings are high you can replace this with 'Pick up where you left off' when it becomes available.

• 2 weeks later...
FWR rarely allows him to drop deep and become involved in the build up play. However, when the ball is ahead of him his high mentality gets him into the box on the end of crosses or flick-ons. Don't think that FWR rarely in this case would prevent him getting into scoring positions as I did at first.

Watch for yourself in 'full match' mode what happens with FWR set to often - when the midfielders have the ball he will run forward immediately and stay in line with the opposition back four. This is not 'playing in the hole' and he is easily marked by one of the DCs. The only supply option available to him in this case is a ball over the top of the defence which is a low percentage success play.

FWR rarely combined with Free Role sees him roaming around to find space allowing your midfield to pass him the ball for him then to work his magic - either stake a shot, try to dribble past the DCs or play in your wingers or centre forward. In my standard tactic, if the midfield bypass Rooney altogether and play a ball straight to Berbatov, Rooney will sometimes read the play and run on to a headed flick on (without needing to set any TM / Run on to Ball options). FYI, in my standard tactic Berbatov has a mentality of 10 or 11 (sorry, I can't remember exactly which) and 'poacher' settings as set out in wwfan's TT&F 09 guide.

You seem to have done your homework! Was wondering what you do with the other striker (Berbatov) to get the best out of Rooney. The TT&F 09 guide has a "poacher" down as playing no through balls, do you have the same? If so, does Rooney link up well enough with Berbatov? Was also wondering what you have for Berbatov's passing and creative freedom?

Has anyone managed to get Berbatov to play anywhere near the level that is expected of him? If so can they post the individual instructions that they are using for him? I've got mixed results from him and his performances should be alot better in my opinion as his actual attrtibutes in the game are very impressive!

Archived