Help me to score more goals

Hi,

I've started a new save after a long pause and I'm running a 4231 (screenshots down below with my 2 tactics and the results)

I'm doing good defensively but I'm really struggling to be dangerous and I'm not scoring enough. That last result against Clermont is not representative since I didn't even get 1 xG...

What would you do to improve this ?

LOSCLille_Vuedensemble.thumb.png.c865c92cfdb5378bccef735fd495dbda.png

LOSCLille_Vuedensemble-2.thumb.png.7c4d4bc967748dc8ac3d410eb293c73b.png

LOSCLille_Fixtures.thumb.png.7f213ba059d3b11e683eec838d466593.png

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, sonnevillejr said:

Hi,

I've started a new save after a long pause and I'm running a 4231 (screenshots down below with my 2 tactics and the results)

I'm doing good defensively but I'm really struggling to be dangerous and I'm not scoring enough. That last result against Clermont is not representative since I didn't even get 1 xG...

Looks like you are doing great and getting the best out of the players as is :) No need to fix what isn't broken.

You're scoring enough to win matches... and that's all that matters at the end of the day. 21 game unbeaten streak is no small feat!

Edited by Cloud9

vor 6 Minuten schrieb sonnevillejr:

Hi,

You have good results, both tactics look fine for me, I guess I’d be content with that. 
To be more dangerous in attack, you need players that are intelligent (anticipating and concentrating) enough to create and react to more complex movement patterns. 
For example an AP(S) and a WB(A) on one side and something different, like an AM(S) SV(A) and W(S) on the other side. You still need defenders to cover of course.

I don’t know if Lille (?) is a good enough team. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Cloud9 said:

Looks like you are doing great and getting the best out of the players as is :) No need to fix what isn't broken.

You're scoring enough to win matches... and that's all that matters at the end of the day. 21 game unbeaten streak is no small feat!

11 minutes ago, HanziZoloman said:

You have good results, both tactics look fine for me, I guess I’d be content with that. 
To be more dangerous in attack, you need players that are intelligent (anticipating and concentrating) enough to create and react to more complex movement patterns. 
For example an AP(S) and a WB(A) on one side and something different, like an AM(S) SV(A) and W(S) on the other side. You still need defenders to cover of course.

I don’t know if Lille (?) is a good enough team. 

Yes I agree that my unbeaten run is great, Lille are a good team in Ligue 1 (predicted to be 5th at the start of the season), but the thing is, most of my wins are lucky, even against smaller teams... I hardly shoot 10 times in a game. 

To give you an example, in my last game against Clermont, I scored 4 goals : 2 following corner kicks, 1 long shot, and 1 following an individual feat. I even got dominated almost all of the second half, that's why I'm thinking my tactic is not that great at the moment despite the (lucky) results

Edited by sonnevillejr

@sonnevillejr now that sounds different. Can you check on the relevant stats in offense, like final third passes etc?

Maybe the opponents sit deep against a team like yours, you don’t have much room and need to create the space by movement. You need more moving roles like I said before but of course you‘re vulnerable to the counter then, it’s a trade off. 
I don’t play that good teams and be more of help creating a counterattacking shape. 
common sense does help a lot. You want the opponent Defense moving around, playing patiently and creating the space to attack. A lot of players lack concentration, they are easy to pull out or play through. 
You could try to create some movement patterns like I said before, AP(S) and WB(A) or DLF(A/S) MEZ(A) DLF(A) IF(S) depending on the players you have available. W(S) FB(A) is a good one too. Now you could spot opponent players with low concentration and anticipation and play your combo that side. Should work well, I do a lot of OI as I am a huge underdog and need to outsmart better opposition. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, sonnevillejr said:

Yes I agree that my unbeaten run is great, Lille are a good team in Ligue 1 (predicted to be 5th at the start of the season), but the thing is, most of my wins are lucky, even against smaller teams... I hardly shoot 10 times in a game. 

To give you an example, in my last game against Clermont, I scored 4 goals : 2 following corner kicks, 1 long shot, and 1 following an individual feat. I even got dominated almost all of the second half, that's why I'm thinking my tactic is not that great at the moment despite the (lucky) results

I would focus on your in match changes then, but you have the structure of a good thing I wouldn't abandon. I would suggest teams are starting to sit back a lot w/your undefeated streak. Just a little change like AF -> P I would recommend in those circumstances.

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-05-16at10_20_38AM.thumb.png.274cc24d3087d455f7a19e1f56ac8dd9.png

Here's a nice 4-2-3-1 I was using in my own save when I was looking to take the game to the opposition. F9 + SS combo will give a player who pulls apart opposition defence and creates space for the main goalscorer (SS). Wide players create space for the inside runners + create the potential for overloads when they take on their man, DLP controls tempo. Nice and simple. 

Watch your matches more comprehensively and make changes based on what's happening. If you're breaking someone down, go after weak points, and work them around like a boxer. Just going for it against a side that's turtling will tire you out and lets them in with a chance to counter punch. Don't be afraid to drop the tempo if you're in control, you can ramp it up when it suits you. Be patient, identify weak points, hit. 

• When you're breaking a team down, look at where there is space for you to attack and figure out how to exploit it. If there is no space, you need to create it (ie. forcing the opposition defence apart).

Final note: Mix up your recruitment going forward. Bring in different profile squad players who you can bring off the bench.

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-05-16at5_00_03PM.thumb.png.0a2a2d61a57f717f03211ff774299733.png

This is my DLP, he's not crazy high CA/PA or anything (in fact I'd guess it's quite low for the premier league) but he can do his job exceptionally (pass the ball around and control the game). If you can find 2-3 squad players who can bring something different (and are really good at one thing: winning the ball back, 1v1s, AP mould etc.) you'll have a much larger tool box to draw from when things need to be changed. 

Edited by Cloud9

Thank you both for your answers @Cloud9 @HanziZoloman

I just finished the season :

LOSCLille_Rencontres.thumb.png.44edf0c335c3e42209b6ad76c3118acd.png

During the second part of the season, I tried different role combinations without finding the solution. For my last games however (just after the defeat against Fenerbahçe), I slightly adjusted the second tactic I showed you and came up with this :

LOSCLille_Overview.png.3cdaff344485259a12a8eaafdbb39c57.png

As you can see, I changed the left WBsu for him to become a simple FBsu as I felt the attacking phase was too crowded. On the right, Tiago Santos is an incredible youngster so I let him be a WBat. 

With this tactic, I saw some improvements as I had more shots and I dominated all the matches (notably against Lyon and OGC Nice who are 3rd in the table), finishing 2nd confortably, just 2 pts behind PSG.

Unfortunately I lost to them on penalties in the French Cup final, but I dominated them in some parts of the match, and my start striker Jonathan David and the captain Benjamin André were both injured and couldn't play.

Now I'll see on pre season if this adjustement was really the solution or not.

32 minutes ago, sonnevillejr said:

Thank you both for your answers @Cloud9 @HanziZoloman

I just finished the season :

LOSCLille_Rencontres.thumb.png.44edf0c335c3e42209b6ad76c3118acd.png

During the second part of the season, I tried different role combinations without finding the solution. For my last games however (just after the defeat against Fenerbahçe), I slightly adjusted the second tactic I showed you and came up with this :

LOSCLille_Overview.png.3cdaff344485259a12a8eaafdbb39c57.png

As you can see, I changed the left WBsu for him to become a simple FBsu as I felt the attacking phase was too crowded. On the right, Tiago Santos is an incredible youngster so I let him be a WBat. 

With this tactic, I saw some improvements as I had more shots and I dominated all the matches (notably against Lyon and OGC Nice who are 3rd in the table), finishing 2nd confortably, just 2 pts behind PSG.

Unfortunately I lost to them on penalties in the French Cup final, but I dominated them in some parts of the match, and my start striker Jonathan David and the captain Benjamin André were both injured and couldn't play.

Now I'll see on pre season if this adjustement was really the solution or not.

Do you use any player instructions?