2 strikers and a CAM

Posted (edited)

I'm trying to figure out something I've not used before - a narrow tactic with the main threat composed of 2 strikers and a CAM. 

That's a set up I'm having fairly good results with but it needs some tweaking.

Spoiler

Zrzutekranu2024-05-19o16_56_04.thumb.png.941819e4a0094d4b2f70a8b64b2c3745.png

What I would like to achieve is to be solid at the back hence 2 DMs but with a threat on the counter so none of my DMS are on defend duty, I want them to move the ball and themselves forward rather quickly. 

It almost feels bad not to use high press and high line of engagement but I thought that since I put so many people in the back, I don't have to push too high and still be comfortable. I also believe it's easier to hit them on a counter if they push too high so I want to give the opposition the ability to do so. I also noticed that if I set really high press line my strikers end up in a super crowded area with no room to move and no time to make a decision.

Spoiler

Zrzutekranu2024-05-19o16_52_03.thumb.png.9961b7abc8beff227aade2493a132730.png

That screenshot shows another problem I'm having - from time to time my attackers (number 7, 10 and 17) get so close to each other that it almost makes no sense. I'm trying to figure out and I need help with that. I thought of putting one of my forwards to DLP (Su) and AM to AM(A) in the hopes that the strikers drops deeper, pulls a defender and create a hole that AM could attack and end up unmarked. Lower line of engagement should help with that (the photo was taken with high line of engagement and high press).

I've got some decent playmakers that I could use instead of an AM in CAM strata but I don't think they work too well this year. Perhaps though it was just a bad choice of striker roles so you could talk me into trying AP(Su) once again.

I decided to go with a Libero because this role fills DM spot when we're attacking and cuts opposition counters nicely. Also I have some good ballplaying defenders such as Scalvini so I don't mind if they push a little while on the ball. 

And one more thing - I've been contemplating on using DLP(Su) instead of a BWM(Su) to improve our solidity in defence (BMW runs a lot and gets out of position easily) and, once we've picked up the ball, have someone to move it forward.

What are your thoughts on that?

Edited by szymunk

Let's pick it one by one.

To get some solidity, you have to ensure you don't get scored against:

• On counter: You should be able to stop counters before they get a free shot on your goal.
  • In possession: You should be able to stop them from scoring when they have the balls.

On counter:
You can leave around 3-4 players on defend duty which should in theory ensure that when you lose the ball you have enough bodies in the middle to stop any kind of counter. 

In possession:
If the have the ball and try to attack you, you need to have fast defenders and close down the opposition as soon as they gain the ball to not allow the players any time on the ball. Or on the opposite end you need tall backline which should be able to clear all the crosses coming at them and have all others tightly packing the pitch.

Consider Liverpool's counter press and Everton's (or any relegation threatened team's) tightly packed defense of 10 outfield players. You need to chose one or the other depending on your players which can ensure you have the best possible option to avoid getting scored against. 

As for the player movement of your front three, they seem to have similar movements, you can reduce that by hard caping them similar to what i've done in the following ss. Having them like this would make them utilize the space better.

image.png.23ea52c438388147a97f970912a379b9.png

13 hours ago, szymunk said:

What are your thoughts on that?

SV(s) to the Pivot and one striker to a support duty will go a long way. Sometimes it can be tricky to get an AMC(s) involved enough...like the idea of him as an AP w/the onrushing SV.

13 hours ago, HUMBL3B33 said:

Let's pick it one by one.

To get some solidity, you have to ensure you don't get scored against:

• On counter: You should be able to stop counters before they get a free shot on your goal.
  • In possession: You should be able to stop them from scoring when they have the balls.

On counter:
You can leave around 3-4 players on defend duty which should in theory ensure that when you lose the ball you have enough bodies in the middle to stop any kind of counter. 

In possession:
If the have the ball and try to attack you, you need to have fast defenders and close down the opposition as soon as they gain the ball to not allow the players any time on the ball. Or on the opposite end you need tall backline which should be able to clear all the crosses coming at them and have all others tightly packing the pitch.

Consider Liverpool's counter press and Everton's (or any relegation threatened team's) tightly packed defense of 10 outfield players. You need to chose one or the other depending on your players which can ensure you have the best possible option to avoid getting scored against. 

As for the player movement of your front three, they seem to have similar movements, you can reduce that by hard caping them similar to what i've done in the following ss. Having them like this would make them utilize the space better.

image.png.23ea52c438388147a97f970912a379b9.png

Thank you so much for the input. I'm going to try that. I've got some questions though:

1. Why CBs instead of WCBs? I don't insist but I like how they supported wingbacks both offensively and defensively.

2. Why VOL on the same side with DLF? I worry that side might get too crowded while other other a little secluded since Anchor is not joining the attack.

9 hours ago, szymunk said:

Thank you so much for the input. I'm going to try that. I've got some questions though:

1. Why CBs instead of WCBs? I don't insist but I like how they supported wingbacks both offensively and defensively.

2. Why VOL on the same side with DLF? I worry that side might get too crowded while other other a little secluded since Anchor is not joining the attack.

1. CB isnt the role i recommend it was just something i added just like that. I didnt notice when i created the tactic. But i think as long as you have 3 players at the back waiting for the counter. You should be good more or less. The only problem with WCBs and Liberos is that they would eventually start going up slowly if you sustain opposition for long enough. They are a little adventurous roles which may end up advancing more than what usually CBs does. So it's more like a balancing act and you can decide however you wish to do.

2. That's part of the reason i want that, DLF coming deep can open lines in their defensive lines. In addition, the volante would provide a safe passage in case the DLF is pressured. Since both WBs are attacking they you wouldnt expect them to come short to collect the balls too often. In addition, the Anchor due to the new positional play feature should cover the central area properly. Remember, the final possession would only come in contention once you have sustained possession, until then, you have 2 DMs which should make you feel very secure. Again, a key feature to any good tactic is to ensure that whenever you lose the ball, you have a way to win it back so you dont need all of your players in the opposition box. Quality > Quantity (more often then not but you can have things work in any way that gives you an advantage.)

There could be a lot to discuss based on the players but i guess the my tactic is fairly good for you to tweak with.