Generating More Greyed Out Players

Hello, everyone!

First post here, so sorry if I've done something wrong! I've been playing FM24 for a little bit now, and I'm looking for a way to make the game more challenging. I started in the 19th tier of English football and decided that I'd disable attributes and avoid signing players that I'm recommended, rather, try to work with an absolute threadbare squad, at least until a few youth prospects come through. I'd started previously in the 15th tier and got promoted 5 times, winning all but one game, and by big margins. It all felt too easy when I can sign people who've played several divisions higher!

So, when clicking on the team before selecting them to start with, I see more than 20 greyed out players, big squad. I start the game with them, and I only have 16 available. I sign them all to contracts, but I'm unable to generate more. Even if I arrange a friendly against my under 18s or under 21s, some appear in those squads, but I'm unable to sign them. I'd like to have, say, 20 players to choose from, as 16 is only a first XI and 5 subs. Not ideal. I'm aware that I can tick the option to add players to playable teams, but I doubt they'd be as bad as the greyed out players and I'd really like a challenge! Any ideas? Cheers.

1 hour ago, GarryJH said:

Hello, everyone!

First post here, so sorry if I've done something wrong! I've been playing FM24 for a little bit now, and I'm looking for a way to make the game more challenging. I started in the 19th tier of English football and decided that I'd disable attributes and avoid signing players that I'm recommended, rather, try to work with an absolute threadbare squad, at least until a few youth prospects come through. I'd started previously in the 15th tier and got promoted 5 times, winning all but one game, and by big margins. It all felt too easy when I can sign people who've played several divisions higher!

So, when clicking on the team before selecting them to start with, I see more than 20 greyed out players, big squad. I start the game with them, and I only have 16 available. I sign them all to contracts, but I'm unable to generate more. Even if I arrange a friendly against my under 18s or under 21s, some appear in those squads, but I'm unable to sign them. I'd like to have, say, 20 players to choose from, as 16 is only a first XI and 5 subs. Not ideal. I'm aware that I can tick the option to add players to playable teams, but I doubt they'd be as bad as the greyed out players and I'd really like a challenge! Any ideas? Cheers.

This should be your first and last post. You should be banned! Just kidding, welcome to the forum. Sounds like a great challenge you've given yourself. The only things I can think of are checking your reserves, under 21's, under 18's teams (if you have them.) If there are no greyed out players there, maybe sign greyed out players from other teams in your league?

All the best with your challenge!

Posted (edited)

Hahah! Thanks! Scared me for a minute! I've actually tried that and none of those work. :( When you arrange a friendly with your under 18s/21s, you get a bunch of generated players in there, but no option to sign them... Same with opposition teams. Can't sign the players. It's a real shame, as I thought it was a nice challenge idea too! Only other thing I can think of, is to try to find players with low ability/potential for now and sign them to the team, but that's quite hard to do without scouting etc! I just don't want to end up with a team of world beaters! Much more fun to try to win with crap! Appreciate the reply! I'll post an update if I find a way! Any other ideas would be welcome!

Apologies for the post below! Couldn't figure out how to reply on mobile with the quote!

Edited by GarryJH

8 minutes ago, Brodie21 said:

This should be your first and last post. You should be banned! Just kidding, welcome to the forum. Sounds like a great challenge you've given yourself. The only things I can think of are checking your reserves, under 21's, under 18's teams (if you have them.) If there are no greyed out players there, maybe sign greyed out players from other teams in your league?

All the best with your challenge!

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, GarryJH said:

Hahah! Thanks! Scared me for a minute! I've actually tried that and none of those work. :( When you arrange a friendly with your under 18s/21s, you get a bunch of generated players in there, but no option to sign them... Same with opposition teams. Can't sign the players. It's a real shame, as I thought it was a nice challenge idea too! Only other thing I can think of, is to try to find players with low ability/potential for now and sign them to the team, but that's quite hard to do without scouting etc! I just don't want to end up with a team of world beaters! Much more fun to try to win with crap! Appreciate the reply! I'll post an update if I find a way! Any other ideas would be welcome!

Apologies for the post below! Couldn't figure out how to reply on mobile with the quote!

Hmmm....i'm guessing you can't promote greyed out players from your under 18's / 21's to your 1st team either? I'll keep pondering. Good luck with your challenge :)

Edited by Brodie21

2 minutes ago, Brodie21 said:

Hmmm....i'm guessing you can't promote greyed out players from your under 18's / 21's to your 1st team either?

Unfortunately not. When I right click them, the only thing that appears is their name. Left click on them, and there are no options to sign them at all on their profile. It's a shame. My current idea is to find players in the database with between 5 and 10 current/potential ability, but that defeats the fun a bit, as I don't really know how good the greyed out players are!

41 minutes ago, GarryJH said:

Unfortunately not. When I right click them, the only thing that appears is their name. Left click on them, and there are no options to sign them at all on their profile. It's a shame. My current idea is to find players in the database with between 5 and 10 current/potential ability, but that defeats the fun a bit, as I don't really know how good the greyed out players are!

Maybe get your scout to look up a few players & only sign the ones that fit your project

The greyed out players are just to fill in spaces in your squad. so when you've signed a few and filled up your squad, you won't get any more. (You might be able to get more by demoting the signed ones to reserve/youth teams, but demoting players tends to upset them...)