Sensible approach to a match| MATCH PREPARATION |

Posted (edited)
Em 19/04/2024 em 21:42, TheMartello disse:

Will read the whole piece tomorrow, but on first sight I miss the Team Instructions/Player instructions.

You’re absolutely right! It was supposed to be on the chapter 7.  Must have missed it during the copy/paste of the article! Will update it as soon as I can.

EDIT: Just updated the article. Thanks for the heads up

19 horas atrás, naufal husain disse:

Always amaze with people can manage micro tactics every match and get the result, amazing article! :applause::applause::applause:

Thanks mate. Glad you like it

Edited by Duracellio

Remarkable write up, lots of valuable information here, even for experienced players!

For example, in many years of playing FM, I have never thought of looking at the opposing manager's profile to obtain useful information...even though I love doing micromanagement in my saves for some time now, there is always a further aspect that has never been considered thanks to which I can go even deeper :applause:

Edited by Fox-7-

Excellent read, thanks for that.

So weird that this thread and that other one popped up about a week after I decided to do a 'horses for courses' save. Also that you started with a match against Uni Emery's 424, which has been the bane of my existence in this version of FM :lol:

Posted (edited)
Em 21/04/2024 em 12:48, gmanthos96 disse:

Nice! It would be interesting to make an approach on training too!

Thanks. It's an interesting idea aswell. Feel free to share some tips if you think of something.

18 horas atrás, Fox-7- disse:

Remarkable write up, lots of valuable information here, even for experienced players!

For example, in many years of playing FM, I have never thought of looking at the opposing manager's profile to obtain useful information...even though I love doing micromanagement in my saves for some time now, there is always a further aspect that has never been considered thanks to which I can go even deeper :applause:

7 horas atrás, vrig disse:

Excellent read, thanks for that.

So weird that this thread and that other one popped up about a week after I decided to do a 'horses for courses' save. Also that you started with a match against Uni Emery's 424, which has been the bane of my existence in this version of FM :lol:

Thank you for the kind words.

I feel the same @Fox-7-. It's the first game I play that, no matter for how long you play, you can always learn something new. That's why I think communities like this one are so important to share.

@vrig I felt the same “weirdness”:lol:. I wrote this article for about a week or so, putting together all the gifs and images, etc and during the process I saw the other thread asking exactly about this one I was writing and I thought “wow, perfect timing! It’s on the way”.

I hope it helps in some way in your new save

Edited by Duracellio

Great, now I will study all my opponents and play like 3 matches per month :rolleyes:.

On a serious note, awesome post Durecellio. :applause:

P.S. The png/jpeg pictures in this thread are not displaying for me when browsing with my laptop but they all display correctly in my phone, what can be the cause?

Posted (edited)
1 hora atrás, Los_Culés disse:

Great, now I will study all my opponents and play like 3 matches per month :rolleyes:.

On a serious note, awesome post Durecellio. :applause:

P.S. The png/jpeg pictures in this thread are not displaying for me when browsing with my laptop but they all display correctly in my phone, what can be the cause?

Once you get used to it, it's just routine, it looks more complicated than it actually is. It really depends on who you’re facing and how good your team is, you probably don’t need to do the whole match cycle for every opponent.

It can help a lot if you organize the opponents into 3 categories: 1-low difficulty, 2-medium difficulty, 3 high difficulty opponents, then according to those levels you can adapt your preparation detail.

Regarding the pictures, I have no idea, probably something to do with your anti-virus and false positives in your laptop? Let me know if you have this issue in other platform, because more people might have the same problem. I could change the images bank I've used. The .gifs work correctly in your laptop ?

Edited by Duracellio

@DuracellioThe very first picture (with the manager) above the Introduction title displays correctly and then nothing else (including gifs). I do not have this problem in other threads here. Anyway lets hope that I am the only one and others see everything correctly. Would be shame to miss so much tactical knowledge. :)

Am 19.4.2024 um 17:23 schrieb Duracellio:

but the losses as well, as I consider we learn the most with those, and most of all, so that I can still feed on all the knowledge of the brilliant strategist minds that are on this forum.

A M A Z I N G 

Just stumbled over this one and read the introduction. It’s brilliant and I will dive into it in the days to come. Great one! 

Posted (edited)
2 horas atrás, HanziZoloman disse:

A M A Z I N G 

Just stumbled over this one and read the introduction. It’s brilliant and I will dive into it in the days to come. Great one! 

Thank you, let me know what you think once you finished reading.

Regarding all the reactions I feel thankful and inspired to continue the tread!!

I am cooking a few more articles, lighter reading since the heavy one (because it’s introductory, etc) is already out of the way.

How to prepare for a Europe game, taking into account it’s a two game elimination, another game against this very FC Porto, but this time a championship game, since I got the idea they’ve rotated a lot for this cup game and weren’t full force, (that left me with a bitter taste) and finally a heavy defeat against another title contender on the Portuguese championship. Diving into the “whys” and “hows” of it. What we could’ve made differently to change the outcome! 

Big plans, little time:D

Edited by Duracellio

The best is always learning from mistakes. Right now I am going through the instructions piece by piece with the YAC Billericay in EFL One against Swansea. This is just that kind of piece which was missing here. You’ve created something beautiful. The best part: It’s not some big shot or easy to big shot team but a relegation candidate trying to hit above weight. I am a fan 

Did not work out for me in this match:

Much was similar to your plans against Porto. We did some things right and were in control of the match most of the time. They had a two strikers a tall, slow one and a fast small one which made it tricky. Should I trap them wide or inside. I decided to put their best crosser on the inside and their medium to bad crossers wide. This one worked fine, the tall striker was out of the game except for his goal ;)

The fast and small one I decided to never tight mark because I expected him to run around a lot and I didn’t want him to disrupt my solid Defense line. He was out of the game for the first 45 Minutes.

In the preferred 433 I decided to drop the DM as a HB to help in the build up against the two striker pressing which looked really nice. The other two were supposed to escape the two opponent CM which looked edging throughout the match.

In the 2nd half the pacy striker ran behind our Defense for an assist and a goal. Just the classic through ball and score. I slept, I didn’t notice a change. Especially as we were in control of the game in 1st half and in front 1:0. 

Their defenders were rather small and no good jumpers. I tried to exploit that with high crosses towards my big and jumpy striker. A corner gave the 1 nill but no further goals came but a lot of chances. When I switched my right winger from a left into a right footer we had even better chances for a 2nd goal. 

XG: 1.15 Billericay : 1.30 Swansea

Shots/ on target: 10/4 : 8/4

Possession: 65% : 35%

This is another one, Possession: We expected them to play tiki taka but had the ball most of the time playing it beautifully out from the back. We did no mistakes here, had the ball a lot with patience. The passing map looks wonderful.

After all: We looked good a lot of the time but failed in the end due to a mistake I cannot clearly spot.

Edited by HanziZoloman

Just had a nice little run of 3 matches against tough teams to put my tweaking to the test and I thought I'd share a bit of it here since it seems to fit. I'm playing as Man United and I've used the second summer to build a bit of a toolkit squad, so I have a lot more toys to play with than @Duracellio, but maybe it's still of interest to somebody.

We're coming off a good first season where we won the Champions League through a series of comebacks, but were thwarted in the league by City and Liverpool, who were  miles out in front. After an opening day visit to Stamford Bridge, we'll have the pleasure of exacting revenge on the latter in the Super Cup, and the former in the league at home. You couldn't ask for better fixtures to start the campaign... right?

image.png.268a3ceb73b3a8f25e271205506dd455.png

Apologies for not having the Data Hub report, but I can't for the life of me find it for past matches. They supposedly played a wing play style, but the analysts says that about half the teams in the game. As such, I mostly ignored their style and focused on the roles and players I was up against.

Chelsea greet us with a 4231 featuring the game's most overrated player up top - Romelu Lukaku. There's nothing like a striker who's both quick and good in the air to give you a headache, especially when that player also has a tricky number 10 like Nkunku right behind them. Fortunately I've got good aerial defenders, so I can at least somewhat limit his opportunities from balls into the box. The threat of his pace can be limited with a lower defensive line, while I'm going for a good old fashioned man-marking job on Nkunku. The wingers, Sterling and Mudryk, are full of pace, so I opt to never mark them tightly and close them down whenever possible. I would have added hard tackling for them too, but I've just come off a season where we had a load of red cards and I've got a load of players new to the league who could do without that kind of start to life at Old Trafford.

image.png.e709b436227cab224a32c2c5ad4b05fe.png

The thinking was that we could use the space behind Enzo Fernandez as he pushed forward as a Segundo Volante. I opted for Sancho to achieve this, and to get him into that zone, I've got Shaw pushing up behind him. Mount is picked as a BWM for two reasons: (1) to cover Shaw when he goes forward, and more importantly (2) it isn't a role affected by positional play rotations. Had I picked a mezzala or B2B or something there, Sancho would be forced wider than I would like. Because I'm really serious about him coming infield, I also opt for minimum width. Meanwhile in midfield, Mount is positioned to win the ball off Enzo while Mainoo plays as a Mezzala to try and drag BWM Caicedo out of the middle.

Does it work? Defensively, yes. Big scary Lukaku ends the game without a shot, and half the attempts Chelsea end up with fall to their centre backs from corners. It's a deserved clean sheet.

Offensively? Absolutely not, and it's a few errors from me that are the reason. Amad is playing as a winger with a wingback getting up the pitch behind him, which is not something I'd ever really do if I had stopped and thought about it for a second. He's also affected by the minimum width setting, so he's getting pitted directly up against Colwill far too often and losing out, since their guy is both stronger and quicker. Meanwhile Sancho is having plenty of touches in good areas but sometimes FM gets it right and a waster plays like a waster, so he's pretty much just rolling it back where it came from and offering none of that creative spark we were hoping for. Hojlund is getting no help from anybody - he has no shots, is getting crowded out in the air, and has touched the ball in just twelve instances, giving it away immediately more than half the time. It takes until the 75th minute before I realise...

Gandalfregret.png.58b3d2037f55f2da0be7df542ee6233e.png

But this is why football has substitutes - to make careless clowns like me look clever. A plan starts to come together; hapless Hojlund and struggling Sancho are hauled off with 15 minutes to go.

image.png.a909ba665626b056b77795ea173d7a70.png

Evan Ferguson with his half a silver star comes onto the left flank and bullies a beleaguered Reece James, winning a header against him, playing a one-two around him, and squaring to give Mehdi a goal on his debut. You'll note that we started funneling them wide and inviting crosses too - that was in response to Lukaku coming off for Miss Jackson. The switch up on the right flank gave us more synergy and a bit more hope of controlling the middle with an IWB, as well as a crossing threat with a right-footed winger. Honestly, I probably should have come up with something better on this side, but I spent all my smart points on the Ferguson change.

We had some results last season where we eviscerated teams using a tailored system, and while we comfortably won the xG battle here, this wasn't one of those, nor were the two that followed. This was a cagey away match that took an injury time winner to earn a 1-0 win, but it was one of my favourites from a tactical point of view. 

Edited by vrig

On 22/04/2024 at 17:19, Duracellio said:

It can help a lot if you organize the opponents into 3 categories: 1-low difficulty, 2-medium difficulty, 3 high difficulty opponents, then according to those levels you can adapt your preparation detail.

Brilliant write up, definitely taught me a lot, but I want to ask how you would categorise each team? What would you look for to determine a low difficulty team from a medium difficulty team?

I can do a breakdown of the Liverpool and City games, along with one where we killed Bayern Munich, but I don't want to detail the thread anymore than I have.

Em 25/04/2024 em 15:56, billmatic disse:

Brilliant write up, definitely taught me a lot, but I want to ask how you would categorise each team? What would you look for to determine a low difficulty team from a medium difficulty team?

Hi Bill, sorry for the delay in replying. It's been crazy lately.

I'd say there's a few tools the game provide you. The average values of your team compared to the league, that would give you an idea where you stand, the media expectation, or season preview is also a good indicator, the reports you'll get from scouting your next opponents will reveal a lot of the players stats, you can compare by position for example or to keep it simply by starting 11 vs starting 11.

I think once you get emerged into your "world" you get to know every team in your league and end up knowing their players, who's better than you, who's not, and who's at your level. 

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Duracellio:

I'd say there's a few tools the game provide you. The average values of your team compared to the league, that would give you an idea where you stand, the media expectation, or season preview is also a good indicator, the reports you'll get from scouting your next opponents will reveal a lot of the players stats, you can compare by position for example or to keep it simply by starting 11 vs starting 11.

I think once you get emerged into your "world" you get to know every team in your league and end up knowing their players, who's better than you, who's not, and who's at your level. 

After doing it game by game, I am getting into that „world“ and it pays off. I am now fighting for Promotion with the same team and players. That’s great work, thank you

On 01/05/2024 at 06:03, Duracellio said:

Great tips, thank you! Now to stick with a save long enough to receive scouting reports.

On 01/05/2024 at 07:38, HanziZoloman said:

After doing it game by game, I am getting into that „world“ and it pays off. I am now fighting for Promotion with the same team and players. That’s great work, thank you

This has struck a chord with me, the thought of getting into my own "world" and finally seeing the pay off is enticing. But where to start? :seagull:

Posted (edited)
vor 19 Stunden schrieb billmatic:

This has struck a chord with me, the thought of getting into my own "world" and finally seeing the pay off is enticing. But where to start? :seagull:

Just do it one by one as explained here. I first tried to imagine the pathways of the opponent players, like imagining how the playmaker moves, the winger, how the FB defend. Then checking the players on weaknesses. Next is figuring out how to attack. You can post it here with an example and your ideas and we’ll help

I try and contribute how I approach a typical League match (EFL One) step by step. I have not played the match yet, we will see how it goes.

In the next match we will play FC Burnley at home. They sit 21st in the table while we are 4th (Billericay). We had some hard times playing those pressure soaking, deep sitting relegation candidates and they are clearly not the teams we like to play. My defenders are not that fast and we are vulnerable to the counter. Our playing style itself is a fluid counter-attacking approach, I am expecting a tough match and a draw which is fine for me. 

I adopted the step-by-step approach which is wonderfully explained by @Duracellio above.

1) I check the scouting report: Regarding our scout FC Burnley will play as expected. They most likely will chose a cautious risktaking-style with counter attacks. Their manager prefers attacking on the wings (wingplay). They seem to play a very simple football. Two No-nonsense FB protect their flanks and won't contribute much to the offense. They rely heavily on the speed of their wingers. 

I check the wingers then: Westwood is extremely fast (15) and agile (17-19) and is therefor a threat to watch carefully. He can also cross (12) the ball to the two striker. His weaknesses are, he has right foot only (we can think about trapping him on the wrong foot) , his bravery is low (5-8) but he is strong and has balance, we will not bully him around but we can impress him with a nice, strong tackle. My FB is extremely aggressive and very brave, this will be a challenge for Westwood. Westwood also does not like to work hard (7). Maybe we can put him off by taking the fun out of him. 

Hulme on the left side is trickier. He is also extremely fast (15) and agile (12-15) but also has strong balance (16-19) and is a brave guy (18-20). We will not impress him as easy as is right counterpart. He has his strong foot on the left. Their wingers definitely pose a threat to my slow FB. His weaknesses are his slow intelligence, composure and concentration but he likes to work hard (15). Maybe we can press him. If we press very high a long ball down the flanks could definitely lead to a goal. Particularly as they attack with two strikers. Let's have a look on them. 

Again, it does not suit my team. The Strikers are fast above all Olayinka (16) . He is the small fast dribbler, Greenhough is a bigger, jumpy one but he can dribble and run as well. 

At this point I am a bit worried. The apparently easy match against Burnley could easily lead into a defeat. The defend in two banks of four, soak the pressure and hit me down the flanks. Two capeable guys up front are waiting for their chance to come. Johnson, the B2B will move from DM into AM offering a passing option for Westwood and Haley will offer one for Hulme, he will also cover the center a bit more. Greenhough will drop deep into AM and help out on the left. Olayinka will be the main threat up front. Greenhough has longshots (9) which is not crazy but sometime enough. 

How can I nullify their strengths? I am not sure why Burnley is so low in the table, they have a good run-and-go system. I will now check on their midfielders and CBs.

Johnson is a very capeable B2B player, he has everything, natural fitness, stamina, work rate and all the technical attributes as well. Haley is a brave and reliable passer (16) who can also challenge and tackle. 

The defensive line is solid but all defenders are not very composed. Espescially their left FB (7) and the CB (9). 

Strategy: Option one is giving them time to build up and compress the space for their fast runners, hitting them on the counter with the fluid counter-attacking style we used to play. Option two is pressing their defenders heavily, not giving them any time with the ball. I'd like to play Option two but in a 433 I only have three players pressing their back four. If I'd chose this option, the three up front should be fast and hard working. It's tricky and I am not sure how to approach that game. 

There is one advantage: Burnley played during the week, while Billericay didn't. Their players should be tired. Maybe I combine both approaches, maybe we come out of the box with heavy pressing, giving their tired or second choice squad players little time and a tough challenge but also taking the risk of a counter. After scoring a goal we play the match out in fluid counter-attacks.

To counter their threats we will press and tackle the backline with our three attackers and the Mezzala, while the other midfielders will mainly stay centrally to chase longballs. I am thinking about a BWM or a Carrilero and a DM. The FB need to be close to the Wingers, to engage them immediately and strong. I am not sure about putting the wingers on the wrong foot or push them wide. I think I'll trap them inside and see how it's going. 

Ok now I have a plan. I will move on to the match and see who's playing.

Spoiler

Bildschirmfoto2024-05-03um17_03_15.thumb.jpg.a90c9bc969eacf7d7652668722bc5b1b.jpg

Ok during the week one of my best players has taken a virus and will not be available for the match. That happens. My team consists of hard working, brave machines, who can run 90 minutes. They are aggressive and mostly brave. I want to tackle the backline which means that I will play a fast, aggressive PF(S) rather than the AF. I will sub him later to finish them off on the counter. At least that's the plan. I want them to be tired and slow in the head.

2) Matchday: There are some changes in their starting set up. Westwood is playing up front, we remember him being fast but lazy and he can be impressed with a hard tackle. Olayinka is the smaller but faster striker. He plays as the DLF which takes away his speed a bit. He can pass the ball but his decision making isn't that good (9). This suits us taking the risk with counter-attacks. On the flanks are their 2nd suits Wright and Greenfield who are both similar but a bit less good than their first choice options. I am now encouraged to take the risk and press their backline. Greenfield can cross the ball and I will trap him inside, wright isn't a good crosser, I will trap him outside.

Spoiler

Bildschirmfoto2024-05-03um17_54_50.thumb.jpg.f33f0293a53914db8e496e47a3f96a87.jpg

3) Setting opposition instructions to counter their threats: 

Spoiler

Bildschirmfoto2024-05-03um18_02_45.thumb.jpg.56dab10924670388d9c03d22f6a23ad5.jpg

We can see, the wingers are tackled immediately to make use of their low bravery and to take the fun out of them. Westwood as well. Olayinka is also tackled hard (maybe I take it off) but also never being marked. I want my defenders to stay close together and not being pulled out of position, offering gaps. The strong midfielders are left blank, my men have just to win the long balls. I will take care of this with roles/ duties selection. The Backline is being pressed. I will press the quicker one, Fisher and tight mark the slower Brown. Darling is pulled away from fisher. Both is to limitate Fishers options and to force him to just hoof the ball forward. Wright (here we have the winger playing a FB role) is being pressed as well (composure 8). I anticipate them attacking both wings equally.

4) finding the roles and TIs for the match.

Ok here we go. We have three to four players up front doing as needed, Graham pressing Fisher (RCB) and Kilman marking Brown (LCB). The Wingers are either fast and aggressive (Young) or fast, aggressive and can anticipate well (Stutter). They should do a good job. I leave my best attacking players (Kalala and Moore) on the bench and will sub them later in the game. I chose my most aggressive, fast setup. Kalala usually fills the second MC with a playmaking role which is not needed now, counter-press will be my playmaker and I need the aggressive Beadle and the towering Myers to win the second balls. Usually I'd chose a different BWM but he's ill and my left FB will play BWM. He is not good at passing and I will PI (shorter passing). The DM has no PIs (usually hold position but I want him to challenge the other MC). TIs are suiting the approach, higher defense line, high pressing. When we build up we will take time and lure them out (play out of defence and slow pace down). remember we expect Burnley to be a bit sore which is why we pass it a bit faster. 

This should work out at least in my head. Let's see what's happening.

Spoiler

Bildschirmfoto2024-05-03um18_20_33.thumb.jpg.88bad986627c7941f63ff58483921061.jpg

Note 1: One has to be very attentive, shortly into the match Olayinka (remember I never mark him) was changed into AF and Westwood switches with Greenhough, the first playing Winger and the latter DLF. I didn't noticed until Olayinka "found his scoring touch again". I immediately changed Olayinka to be tackled hard and Greenhough never to mark. For Westwood everything stays the same, put on the left foot and tackled hard. 24th minute 2:1 

Note 2: After a while one can see the roles and fitness of the opponents team. It's as guessed Haley, Westwood and Greenhough already have half hearts, the FB as well. My players all show green hearts. We dominate the game, Burnley only had 3 attempts while we have already 12. Billericay have 70 % possession but only 2 of the 12 attempts were on goal. Halftime

All goals are scored with corners.

Dressing room. We dominate the ball but we need to make it count. I will tell them to do better. "things are going well but I know you're capable of doing better". I will talk individually and tell my Attackers that they can do better and that I have faith in them. That's all. I think we have a good chance, I will continue to press for the 3rd goal. I don't want to take the foot off the gas pedal. 

Note 3: Burnley did a sub in halftime. the exhausted Greenhaugh stayed on the bench, Westwood moved into DLF and Greenfield took the right wing. He is a fast crosser, I immediately put him on the left foot and tackle him hard. My left FB is actually playing a strong game (he's 2nd choice).

Note 4: Another change, Olayinka switches into DLF and the fast but lazy Westwood into AF. I don't need to counter that, everything is fine but our accuracy. Burnley is struggling heavily. 59th minute 2:1

Note 5: They sub Wright who is half dead and Clark (LFB) comes on the pitch. A fresh FB, his composure is even lower (6) which means I will press him immediately as well. We want to finish them. In my head I am thinking about dialing it down and switch into our fluid counter-attacking but we have them ready now for the last punch. I think I am deciding it in the next ten minutes. 66th minute 2:1

Note 6: They switched their CB and immediately got more control of the game (7 shots/ 4 on target). It's getting dangerous. I need to switch my mezzala and I will take the fluid counter-attack now. I will dial the tempo down to standard and will prepare to see out the match. We need to be careful, both FB and the DM already received yellow cards. 70th minute 2:1

Noooooo! 2:2 Westwood again after a corner.

They are taking the game to us and switching some positions. I need to be on my toes. Remember a draw has been the target. I could try and press them again or see the match out. We have been the better team most of the game. 78th minute 2:2

Gooooal! 3:2 Another corner and Kalala scores from close distance. I switched to pressing already and will hold our foot on the gas pedal. 82nd minute 3:2

Overtime: Collins my right FB is really tired and I see him losing his man over and over but they are still attacking down my left flank with Westwood. I take my time now, slowly passing and wasting time. 

"Well done lads, that was a good win for us." Wow it was the expected tough match. Westwood found himself alone in front of my keeper but missed his shot, it was offside anyways but close. 

Did it work out? We were clearly the better team but Burnley were close behind. None of the goals were from counter-pressing situations but our high possession and the many attempts show that we did as expected. I took the risk with their counter attacks and it was a close gamble. Maybe we were lucky maybe our positive form and excellent dressing room atmosphere gave the edge. We take the three points anyway as it is 2 points more then anticipated.

I hope this can help how to prepare for a match. I am not very good at tactical aspects of the game and still learning much from this community. But somehow it pays off, we're sitting 3rd now with the same team which played only mediocre in the last year, failing to finish in top half as demanded. 

Spoiler

Bildschirmfoto2024-05-03um19_12_52.thumb.jpg.3dfa2125fadbab4ae8dc3d16dfde8141.jpg

Edited by HanziZoloman

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

SENSIBLE APPROACH TO A MATCH (PART II)

sensible-2-editado.jpg

1. PREVIOUSLY ON "SENSIBLE APPROACH TO A MATCH"

On the first article of this Sensible Approach to a Match, I’ve approached the entire match cycle, against one of the best teams in the league. Although it was a wonderful win, in the end it turned out to have a bittersweet taste, not only because it was a league cup game, and the teams tend to ease a bit on those, but also because FC Porto ended up rotating a few key players for that game.

The good news is, we have another game against them, this time for the championship!

*Quick recap*, in my approach to our first clash, I chose to adapt the team in the way we defend, to face those two dangerous forwards, transforming our usual shape of a 433 (commonly called 4231) with an offensive midfielder into a 433 with a defensive midfielder when in possession and a 541 when defending. However, despite these defensive changes, we kept the offensive phase the same, short, patient passes and tempo, keeping it simple on the majority of the phases and areas, leaving the creativity to 2 players, always supported by a solid defensive shape, cohesion and hard workers behind them (I can’t emphasize this enough since it’s the key for success, in my point of view) which ended up being compatible with our defensive shape. It would be way harder for everyone to play a high-octane tempo, with direct passes, since it is not the way we usually play and the fact that we were defending with a lot of people behind the ball, would make it very hard to find enough legs upfront to kick it long and rush things out.

spacer.png

2. THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE 

This introduction is important to explain that, although we’ve adapted to face our opponent, we haven’t changed that much as it may seem at first glance. The way I see it, keeping it plain and simple for you, my fellow football manager reader, there’s 4 ways of approaching a match: Adapting offensively, adapting defensively, both, or not adapting at all imposing our football with the confidence that the quality available is enough to master any strategy that the opponent throws at us.

At the moment, in this Portuguese league, after the anual pre-season analysis of all the teams we’re competing against, I’ve estimated that we’ll have to adapt our way of defending against 4/5 teams (either because of the offensive power they have at their disposal or because they play with a system that requires us to be cautious and guarantee defensive superiority, as is the case with Unai Emery’s FC Porto and their 442), adapting offensively against 3/4, in most cases because they’re a though side to break, which leaves us with 9/10 teams that we are expected to win with more or less difficulty without having to adapt considerably (this considering that we always do our homework and use our “sensible approach” to the matches, obviously).

spacer.png

3. THE MATCH

We already went through most of the match cycle for this very opponent in an extensive way, so I’m not going to bore you with the environment, the coach, the data hub, the opposition instructions, etc. (If you haven’t read the PART I of this thread, I highly advise you to scroll up this page and start from the beginning so this PART II can make more sense).

Something that kept ringing in my head was the fact that in our previous match against FC Porto, we’ve adapted heavily defensively. What would have happened if we hadn’t adapted so much, in terms of positioning, but rather in terms of defensive behaviour, maintaining the same offensive positions (our usual 4231)? The funny part about FM being a game is, we can try it out and have an answer! That’s exactly what I did.

It would be obviously a risky attempt of taking on the title contender without the due care, so we very welcome every detail, as little as it could be, where we could take some kind of advantage. A first glance into the 442 strategies with the two wide offensive midfielders in the AM strata, allows us to immediately notice the lack of players in the middle of the pitch. That’s it! That’s where the GOLD is. I thought about turning the focus down the middle instruction on, but since I have 3 creative players in the midfield (regista, advanced playmaker and attacking midfielder) they're already a ball magnet, so there's no need for it, the team will play it naturally narrow at times.

spacer.png

Resorting to our roles, leaving our 4231 untouched, we aim to morph into a 343 in possession, keeping the principles we talked about in the first article, building up with 3 defender agaisnt 2 forwards, to face the initial pressure without hoofing the ball; 4 midfielders in the middle of the pitch to outplay their 2 midfielders, and 3 upfront, to stretch the pitch with two “wingers” (one natural winger on the left and one right wingback) and the tip of the spear, fast and hard-working striker. These are the roles we’ve used to achieve that.

We went with our usual 4231

spacer.png

Offensive Phase

During some moments in the game, you could clearly see the advantage we went for, by overwhelming them and focusing our build up through the middle:

spacer.png

You can see FC Porto trying to counter this and trying to even the numbers in the middle of the pitch by narrowing the right winger and the leftback, this last one probably has a man mark instruction on our AP, Alex Mendez because it's not a common defensive behaviour. These man marking is leaving our wingback Rodrigo Gomes with hectares of space since their left winger can't always track back in time to close down on him!

spacer.png

We went to explore that gap numerous times. Once I noticed this behaviour I've changed the focus to attack through the right flank. By doing this and using these roles in this particular shape, we ended up drawing FOUR PLAYERS out of position, which 2 of them were the centre midfielders! This happened because their left winger can't track back fast enough, leaving gaps, which are filled by the midfielders, trying to cover for their winger. Due to their high press strategy to get the ball back as fast as possible, they expose a lot of defensive positions, we've managed to get a 3v3 agaisnt FC Porto defenders, inside their own penalty box, at times:

4-out-of-position.jpg

I have to tell you, I’m a big fan of the way the Wingback and the Advanced Playmaker on the wing behave, the synergy between them and the way they keep interchanging their positioning inside/ouside between them, confusing the opposition instructions, it’s exactly the way I like to see the teams play.

Here’s an example of these movements:

spacer.png

Due to our quality (or lack of it) this specific play didn’t end up in a goal for us but it would pay off in a very similar play between those two:

GOAL

GD CHAVES 1 - 0 FC PORTO

spacer.png

Defensive Phase

Defensively we kept our 451 shape, giving FC Porto a though time to break our 2 low defensive lines. That’s how our team is used to play agaisnt biggest opponents and has the cohesion and tactical knowledge at the maximum, it translates in moments  where we are under pressure for some periods of time but are perfectly comfortable without the ball. After scoring the first goal and being ahead 1-0, it’s inevitable that we’re going to be overwhelmed by them, they’re going to throw the numbers at us, they have to, so we might as well embrace that and change what can be viewed as a possible hard time for us, into an advantage. I've lowered the lines together and uped the tempo a bit, by inviting our opponent into our own half, the goal here, after scoring and being ahead 1-0, is to hit them in the counter, we have the “weapons” to do that.

In the image below we se Otávio (the left centreback) bringing the ball forward, due to the lack of passing options available, that's exactly what we want from them:

451-counter-attack.jpg

Transition Phase

We completely changed our strategy as soon as the score was in our favour, and started to hit our opponent with these counters, over and over:

spacer.png

In this first example the counter didn't exactly work out, but the strategy ended up paying off, giving us what we were looking for, the safety of a second GOAL, in the shape of an amazing counter attack!

GOAL

GD CHAVES 2 - 0 FC PORTO

spacer.png

As they kept exposing their defense in the last 15/20minutes, that led to a final result of 3-0. We ended up with 40% posession, when we had almost 55% in the first 30minutes of the game, which translates perfectly the way we morphed during the match.

I highlight two key moments about this match. The first was definitely the preparation of the game, exploiting their weaknesses and the second was reacting during the game. As soon as we got the first goal, I went for counter, lowering the lines and inviting them to our own half. This could end up in the 1-1 for them, but it was worth the gamble, in the end it is a probability game, sometimes they fall for you, sometimes for your opponent.

Note: During the game, I noticed they were going all in through their right flank, were we have our left explosive winger, Jair, that is a very hard-working and aggressive, for the better and the worse.

He had a yellow card already and had “aggressive” body language. Adding that to the fact that we were already 1-0 and our starting midfield trio had 1 defensive midfielder, 1 all-round and 1 creative, we’ve slided the creative midfielder to the wing, replacing Jair, moved our captain, the all-round midfielder, Samu, up into the AM strata and subbed in Moses, the perfect “Kante” role to help our defensive midfielder. By changing the players and the roles we completely changed our midfield and our strategy (as we lowered lines, and upped the tempo a notch to hit them in the counter) and gave our team the tools to give what the game was asking from us by opting for an aggressive and more defensive midfield.

With 1 sub we change the entire strategy

spacer.png

4. MATCH FACTS AND FINAL THOUGHTS

spacer.png

In the end it was another great win for us, against an awesome opponent, this time for the championship!

Hope you guys enjoyed reading the chapter two of this Sensible Approach to a Match series, more is expected to come, next time we’ll have a conference league qualifying round against Newcastle where we can dive into the pros and cons of a two-legged match and the differences of approach between a league match and a two-legged knockout match and (spoiler alert) a big loss agaisnt another title contender, we'll dive together into what we could have done diferently.

Cheers everyone, be safe.

LAST UPDATED 18 MAY 2024

Edited by Duracellio

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Duracellio:

In the end it was another great win for us, against an awesome opponent, this time for the championship!

Hope you guys enjoyed reading the chapter two of this Sensible Approach to a Match series, more is expected to come, next time we’ll have a conference league qualifying round against Newcastle where we can dive into the pros and cons of a two-legged match and the differences of approach between a league match and a two-legged knockout match and (spoiler alert) a big loss agaisnt another title contender, we'll dive together into what we could have done diferently.

Cheers everyone, be safe.

I am so much a fan of this topic here. Thanks @Duracellio for putting in the work. You answered a lot of questions I am thinking about, especially on how to exploit those 442‘s. I have a difficult time against top clubs playing 442. 

Posted (edited)
5 horas atrás, HanziZoloman disse:

I am so much a fan of this topic here. Thanks @Duracellio for putting in the work. You answered a lot of questions I am thinking about, especially on how to exploit those 442‘s. I have a difficult time against top clubs playing 442. 

Thank you HanziZoloman for such kind words!

Sometimes a loss isn't exactly a failure, and a win isn't exactly a success, the hard part is acknowledge them. In this particular match, we've won (the goal here isn't exactly about the final result) but at times we were very lucky to keep the 1-0 and we pulled out a second goal in a counter-attack. It was a gamble and it all came down to wether the ball hit the post and go in or go out (they've hit 3 times our posts). I know luck is a part of the game, but when you gamble in some parts of the match, you loose control of the strategic side of it. The same principles apply to a defeat, you can loose a game and do everything perfectly!

Sometimes you do need that small percentage of luck combined with homework and thinkering behind a match, the point I am trying to make is, although we've won, and our strategy worked flawless at times, I can't say for sure that it was a success (the final result 3-0 is a bit misleading) because we depended way too much on some luck and took a gamble, especially after having an advantage. The proof of that is the next game I'm bringing, I got a bit intoxicated by success with this win agaisnt Porto and went with the same strategy agaisnt a similar 442, got careless and it wasn't pretty hehe.

Personally I feel confident preparing and approaching a match, but I feel that I still need to improve a lot in the strategy to adopt in X scenario that my opponent throws at me during the match.

PS: Some images and gifs weren't loading correctly, I think I've resolved the issue, please let me know if someone has trouble in seeing everything, Cheers.

Edited by Duracellio

Posted (edited)

@DuracellioI have another aspect which could be exploited: Concentration and anticipation, @Rashidi describes the attributes as intelligence. Players lacking concentration and anticipation are (maybe) easy to distract and confuse. One can exploit that by movement, like positional play, a DM coming from deep (SV) or the classic overlap combos AP/WB but one can also exploit that by ppm, one-twos or by movement patterns, all should be difficult to anticipate by those low intelligence players.

Just now I had a match against Reading in the Championship. All teams in that league have better players than us. I spotted the less intelligence players in CM (they played 442 wingplay). I tried to make use of their weakness by playing my best movement players (off the ball) against them and changed the roles into some that target CM and AMC space, like AP(S) w/ roam and CM(A). I placed a playmaker in the DM(S) behind them who likes to move and pass. 

3:1 (xG 3.34 : 0.46) Reading had a hard time against us. My CM were among the best performances.

Edited by HanziZoloman

On 18/05/2024 at 18:19, Duracellio said:

PS: Some images and gifs weren't loading correctly, I think I've resolved the issue, please let me know if someone has trouble in seeing everything, Cheers.

Idk why but I still can't see those gifs...