FM23: New position, but why

I've noticed a few times with my current Charlton game, that some players randomly pick up new positions. I had two strikers who suddenly became awkward as DMs, and I just had a D-LC become a D-RLC (he was competent before, but suddenly became accomplished without game time or training as a D-R). 

I don't really understand how this happened. Can mentoring affect position? 

2 hours ago, Stian1234 said:

I've noticed a few times with my current Charlton game, that some players randomly pick up new positions. I had two strikers who suddenly became awkward as DMs, and I just had a D-LC become a D-RLC (he was competent before, but suddenly became accomplished without game time or training as a D-R). 

I don't really understand how this happened. Can mentoring affect position? 

If you have had him used in the reserves or youth teams, they might have been used as makeshift DMs due to lack of options? My best guess, unless your assistant have decided to retrain them?

11 hours ago, XaW said:

If you have had him used in the reserves or youth teams, they might have been used as makeshift DMs due to lack of options?

I think this is the reason, i have seen it with players in my game.

It doesn’t take many minutes to get the first few levels of positional familiarity. A single match may get from zero to awkward. After that it becomes progressively more difficult.