today I peed on 50,000 cheaters. and they liked it. they wanted more.

On 19/03/2024 at 08:07, GreenTriangle said:

Links to previous seasons :

Malta : First season (2023-24) / Second season (2024-25) / Third season (2025-26) / Fourth season (2026-27) / Fifth season (2027-28) / Sixth season (2028-29) / Seventh season (2029-30) / Eighth season (2030-31)

2031-2032

Michael X / Victoria Hotspurs, Malta / 9th season

Competitions. Therefore, this will be the first season in which we'll play in the Premier league, the first league in Malta. We'll also play, just like last year, in the Maltese Trophy (Malta National Cup).
Regarding the first league, it'ill be take place according to a different system from the second league. Thus, 12 teams participate in the first league (and not 14 as in the 2nd league) and these 12 teams will play 3 matches against each opponent, which means a total of 33 rounds.
The objectives set by our Board for this season are minimal : trying to avoid relegation and, eventually, reasonable results in the Cup. Surprisingly, media prediction doesn't even consider us the weakest team in the league. It's true, our odds are low (450-1), but there is a team whose odds are even lower. In addition, two other teams whose odds are just a little higher than ours.

Transfers. Of course, I followed the rules of this career, so I didn't bring any new player. There is also no news regarding departures either : we kept all our players.
Released players. Unlike the previous seasons, now I didn't kicked out any players who weren't needed. To be honest, I was impatient to see how the team would behave in the first league and I didn't have the patience to analyze player by player, so, I decided to keep them all. At least for now.

The main squad (I have brought in no less than 14 players from the U20s squad and, for the first time since the beginning of this career, most of these "new" players (9 of them to be exact) are good enough to be possible replacements for the current starting players).

The U20's squad / The U18's squad

We also played the usual friendly matches. The opponents were only teams from the lower leagues, so, these results are not particularly important. However, it is worth noting that the team played well regardless of whether we used players from the first eleven or reserves. The team's morale is good, although the atmosphere is not as good as I would have liked.

August

N3EyDBr.jpg

Matches played in August

We started the season with a victory, as a result of a match in which we played very well, much better than the opponent. However, 3 defeats followed. Two of them (both in the championship) are not surprising, since the opponents were Hamrun (the champion) and San Gwann, a team that participated in the continental competitions. Unfortunately, we lost the Cup match, although the opponent was a 2nd league team. My team didn't really play badly, but I expected more.

September

naQnxFK.jpg

Matches played in September

K5ja8l9.jpg

We lost the first game in September. Unfortunately, the opponent was, theoretically, a team of about our level, so the defeat was painful, especially since although my players shot a lot, the ones who had really great opportunities were those from Hibernians. In the next match we achieved a very good result, Floriana being a strong team. Then, in the last two matches we managed to get only one point, although the team played quite well. However, the situation became very complicated because I reproached the team for the defeat in the match against  Sliema, and the team leaders considered that my reaction wasn't fair. As a result, the team's morale dropped instantly.

October

9Q27yHN.jpg

Matches played in October

GatKtPw.jpg

So, we clearly defeated Marsa and we lost the match played against Balzan just as clearly. The defeat was to be expected because Balzan are, after Hamrun, the second strongest Maltese team at the moment. The big problem was the third match. We were defeated by the team ranked last, Birkirkara, a team that had not defeated anyone in the first 9 rounds. Moreover, the opponents played better than us.

November

26kTzyg.jpg

Matches played in November

IkugCnb.jpg

November started badly for us. In the first match we played against a team "of our level", Gzira. The match was spectacular: 0-1, 1-1, 1-2, 2-2, 2-3, 3-3 ... and 3-4 in the 83rd minute. The ratio of shots was the same, 15-15 (7 -7 on target), the ratio of chances was favorable for us, 5-3. So, we were unlucky. It happens. In the next match we faced Hamrun, the champion. We could easily lose 3-0 or 4-1, but this time we were very lucky and got a draw, 1-1. In the third match we met Tarxien. Since we were playing at home, a win (or at least a draw) would have been very useful for us. Unfortunately, although the number of shots was 16-12 and those on target 6-7, Tarxien humiliated us : 0-4 ! Then the last match of the month came. No comment :

MStITWN.jpg

Six goals scored from 7 shots on target ? And from 1.33 xG ? Moreover, San Gwann scored the first 4 goals on its first 4 shots on target !

At that moment the morale of the team became "very poor". Or maybe it was "very poor" even before this match, the result being the consequence of this extremely low morale. However, there were some strange aspects. First, the xG table. According to this table, we're a "mid-table" team. Why would such a team collapse catastrophically in the middle of the season ? Just because some players thought I was "too harsh" with them ? Should it be the tactic ? It's a Knap tactic and I also use it for the U20 / U18 teams. Result : we're leaders in both league tables.
I had a choice between organizing a team meeting and being aggressive. I chose to be aggressive : I kicked out the goalkeeper Spiteri, one of the two leaders of the team and the spokesperson of those who considered that I was "too harsh". (I admit, I really enjoyed to to kick him out also because he allowed about 7-8 hilarious goals).

Did this release solve the problem ? No, because the other team leader, Atzori, immediately picked up on Spiteri's ideas. For now, however, I refrained from taking other steps.

December

I couldn't resist very much. Immediately after the first match in December (a match that we lost), I kicked out Atzori as well. Then I organized the much-needed team meeting, an occasion to which all the players reacted positively. However, because I absolutely needed to kick someone out, I also "executed" the right defender Jason Vella when the poor guy came to ask me why he doesn't play more.

S4zZl3l.jpg

Matches played in December

KUUIGgS.jpg

Our situation has become serious. We started to go down even in the xG table. The Board is quite unhappy, the supporters are very unhappy and the game (FM) keeps reminding me (December 13, December 21, December 28) that it wouldn't be a bad idea if I changed the tactics.
Realistically speaking, I don't think we have any chance of avoiding relegation. When a team concedes 55 goals from 39 xG and 104 shots on target, it's clear that their morale is seriously affected and that only a miracle (or an editor) could fix the problem. Since I don't use editors and I don't believe in miracles, obviously I expect the worst. However, I decided to take warnings of the FM seriously and change not only the tactics but also the configuration used. In the following matches I'll play 4-3-3 DM Wide.

January

Did I say anything about miracles ? Here is an FM miracle :

qtVt36Q.jpg

:lol::lol::lol: Come on, FM, It's ridiculous ...

XMzafBG.jpg

Matches played in January

BDLeDjP.jpg

After the first two defeats, on January 11, I organized a new team meeting. Again, the players reacted positively and their morale was slightly improved. But after only a few days, before the next match was played, morale dropped again. Without any reason. Then I was informed that that match (the third, the one against Birkirkara) could be decisive, and in case of a negative result I could be sacked. But, surprise, my players instantly remembered how to play football. No, they didn't play very well, but they played well enough in such a way that, with some luck (including a goal scored in the 86th minute), we won 4-3. I thought we still had a chance... but another "miracle match" followed. A match in which the opponent (Gzira) scored a goal from each of its first 4 shots on target ...

Anyone want another example of FM weirdness ? There it is ! Which are the teams we are trying to fight with to avoid relegation ? Marsa, Birkirkara, Tarxien. But... from which clubs did I receive interview offers in December and January? Marsa, Birkirkara and ... exactly, Tarxien ! Why would a club be interested in talking to the manager of the club (and the team) that competes directly with his team to avoid relegation ? And it's not just one club, but 3 out of 3 ! :eek:

February

dTbDLRn.jpg

Matches played in February

6ls1yDV.jpg

After the first match of the month (a defeat, against Tarxien) I understood that there were no more chances to avoid dismissal. But I decided to not resign. So, at the beginning of the month, we lost a player (left midfielder Steve Cassar), probably bored by so many defeats. Tarxien beat us, Balzan beat us, then I was notified again that I could be fired. Again, for unknown reasons, the players "forgot" that they were very unhappy, played football and, surprisingly, beat Hibernians 4-1 (!). After that pical win my players remembered their great unhappiness and lost 5-1 (deservedly) the last match of the month. (By the way, shis was an "out of common match", because, for the third time this season, the opponent scored 4 goals from his first 4 shots on target).

March

zrX80Q9.jpg

Matches played in March

gwL5nj7.jpg

We lost all 3 matches, and after the last defeat I was sacked. I knew that I would be fired because I was informed about this intention of the Board. Hilariously, my players again played better than usual, but this time, after 1-0 and a missed penalty, they could not avoid defeat.

XiwFpLK.jpg

Some details :

Player stats

xG table after 30 rounds

Teams' stats - attack / Teams' stats - defense

Tables of the U20's and U18's competitions

Youth intakes 2023 - 2031

The last 3 rounds of the competition :

POicYe0.jpg

x97twtU.jpg

A short comment regarding the "miracle" of the 4 goals scored from the first 4 shots on target. This miracle took place 3 times during a single season, in November, January and February. Well, such a miracle is very unrealistic from a statistical point of view and was only possible due to the very strong influence of morale. The fact that I was using an "aggressive" tactic is irrelevant because this tactic does not have the effect of an instant increase in the technique of the opposing players, nor an instant decrease in the abilities of my own defenders/goalkeeper. What increases is the "dangerousness" of the shot, which is described by that xG. But if xG is 0.35, then the probability of scoring 4 times out of 4 shots on target is 1 in 66 (more precisely, 100/(0.35*0.35*0.35*0.35)), that is, it can happen once for every 256 shots on target, that is, much less than once a year. How did it happen 3 times during just a few months ?

bj7PLdv.jpg

What will I do next? I'll look for a job at another Maltese club, preferably a club from the first league ...

Wow! That was a big disgrace that your former team had fired you for losing too many games. I guess that it will take a long route to win a Maltese league title that will afford you more than anything SMH. What are you planning to get a job in Malta? You might want to go back to square one and find a competitive team to win that title. How's the season going in Malta without you? Who replaced you in Victoria Hotspurs? I'll keep following on your careers in both Estonia and Malta because that will take a long time for them to rise in becoming European champions in the future.

Wow! This isn't looked good for a first-time team to get relegated after being promoted last season. Luckily, you have a good stable money that you need for next season, which you need to improve your team as soon as you can. I hope that you'll bounce back next season because even your team just made it to the first division and then, lasted for just one season, you still have something to run it back as usual.

• GreenTriangle changed the title to today I peed on 50,000 cheaters. and they liked it. they wanted more.