Adding Youth Players to First Team Training Units.

I'm managing in Poland and my club has an under 19 team and a second team in addition to the main squad. Rather than recruit extra coaches for the youth sides I've added all the young players to first team training. This means that I can set up mentoring more easily. Provided I have enough coaches to keep the first team workload light enough, this seems a no brainer for me. Is there any downside to this that Im missing? I wondered if the coaching youngsters attribute is isignificant? I do have a HOYD with a model pro personality. Thanks for any thoughts.

The main downsides are:

1) Using coaches who don’t have a decent working with youngsters rating.

2) Your youngsters will be on a first team training/rest schedule meaning the first team schedule is geared towards their matches.  So your youngsters may not be getting the right rest and training due to their potentially different playing schedule.

For under 18s Training takes precedence.  Playing in matches is still important but Training is key.  They’ll still develop if you do as you outline but they may be compromised in their development.  Carry on if you like but keep a close eye on how they are developing and change if you see issues.

3 hours ago, herne79 said:

The main downsides are:

2) Your youngsters will be on a first team training/rest schedule meaning the first team schedule is geared towards their matches.  So your youngsters may not be getting the right rest and training due to their potentially different playing schedule.

For under 18s Training takes precedence.  Playing in matches is still important but Training is key.  They’ll still develop if you do as you outline but they may be compromised in their development.  Carry on if you like but keep a close eye on how they are developing and change if you see issues.

Thanks very much for the reply. I hadn't thought about rest before/after matches. And if yth development is compromised it would be a false economy. I think I'd better hire some youth coaches after all!

On 29/01/2024 at 17:40, herne79 said:

The main downsides are:

What do you see as benefits of adding youth players to Senior team training units? 

On 29/01/2024 at 17:27, toiletfootball said:

This means that I can set up mentoring more easily

I think this is incorrect. Putting them in training units does not allow them to be mentored by senior players. Instead, selecting them for a senior match would allow them to appear in the mentoring pool... I think

On 30/01/2024 at 12:54, CapitalismReimagined said:

I think this is incorrect. Putting them in training units does not allow them to be mentored by senior players. Instead, selecting them for a senior match would allow them to appear in the mentoring pool... I think

Yes you are right, for mentoring the players must be in the same squad. The benefit was to avoid hiring youth/reserve coaches because my club does not have much money.

• 3 weeks later...
Em 30/01/2024 em 12:54, CapitalismReimagined disse:

This is half true.

Those young players indeed don't appear on the window when you try to choose them to be mentored but If you ask your assistant manager to handle the mentoring group, he might, in some cases, pull those kids, even if they are in U19's, U23's, reserves, etc has long has they are added to the trainning units with senior squad.

This make me think that it is either a bug that wasn't supposed to happen or a feature that should work and apparently isn't and I think it is the second case because it makes total sense for those young players to be mentored by older players if they are trainning with them every day right? Either way should be fixed as it is very annoying, but I am not sure if SI is aware of this issue...

Edited by Duracellio