Very High CPU Usage? Laggy?

Good Evening,

Concerned with this iteration of the game, its quite slow and laggy on a long-save, which ive always done from since i can remember.
Recently upgraded from an i7-6700 @ 4.6ghz to a Ryzen 7 7800X3D.
My New Specs are:- R7 7800X3D
32gb Ram @ 6000mhz (30,36,36,76)
2 TB 970Evo Plus NVMe drive (all the data is on here, the graphics, the game, the saves etc..) - This is also where my Steam is installed.
3070RTX

On FM23, i holiday about 20-30years, about 12-15 leagues loaded and a detail level which usually brings in ~250k players. I've always watched a movie, series, twitch etc.. On my 2nd monitor and i remember getting Lag/slow-down at the end of the season and when there seems to be ALOT of games playing, about 2/3 times a season, not much at all - This was on the i7-6700k. This would shoot up the usage (never to 100%), but did judder the 2nd monitor a bit.

Now, on my new PC on FM24, i have the following leagues loaded (see below) im in the year 2041 with around 175k players loaded and im getting judders every 3rd/4th press of continue, which sets my CPU to 16x Cores at 100% and literally brings my PC to a stop. Sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes 20/30seconds. My CPU is being cooled by a Notchua D15, cine bench maxes temps around 80oC, FM24 ive seen it go past this.... I've gooled and searched for a while and nothing really comes up, a few posts but all Laptop based issues..

Been playing a few games over Xmas (EFT, BG3, BF2042, WOW etc..) and i get medium>high CPU usage in some scenarios, I've never seen a game max out a 16core..
Wondering if there is anything i can do to improve the game, i am in the process of removing leagues/nations but feel i shouldn't need to do this...

I only play commentary, no interest in the 3D aspect of the game, replays. highlights are off..

Any help is appreciated

FM_CPU.png

FM_CPU2.png

FM24_leagues.png

Edited by FMReccster

Your specs are too high for the game. Try capping fps to 60 or even 30 inside of FM preferences. Then see what happens. 

That is only thing I can think of. Your setup uncapped will want to hit like 500 fps which can cause things to lag cause it's kinda engine breaking. 

I had to cap my fps with a 3070 ti or the match engine appeared to stutter and lag but it was really tearing. It was completely unplayable and this didn't happen in 23. 

Meanwhile my crappy office work laptop i3 no dedicated gpu works fine uncapped fps because it can't actually get high fps. 

So that is my only suggestion for you. 

You could post your save game here and a few of us could test it to see how it performs for us?

Its the only way to know if its an FM issue or an issue with your setup.

edit:- or do the tests on the benchmarking thread and compare to similar setups

@LawzE Has a similar setup to you.  See if the times match.

Edited by Brother Ben

Just an update.

I've tried setting my Graphics settings to Very Low in game (even though i dont use the match engine, i only use commentary).. - Didnt Work
I've set my FPS from Auto to 60, 45, 30 - Didnt Work
I've tweaked some Nvidia Control Panel settings - Didnt Work

What i did was use Task Manager to limit the Affinity to use 8 cores only. These cores still top out a 100% usage but the PC is usuable while playing the game (the game does seem more juddery, but this is only when its processing when continue is pressed) - Which im happier with.
(Task Manager > Details > Right Click FM.exe > Set Affinity)

Hopefully people with similar issues can use this info.. This needs to be addressed by SI.. We shouldnt be having to fiddle with complex CPU settings to get a game to work properly.. Please mods alert SI to this bug.
Thank you

• SI Staff

Using all CPU power to improve processing speed is very much intentional, it is playing matches using as many cores as it can.

If you are doing other things on your PC at the same time and don't want FM to takee such priroity you can either do what you did, but persoanlly I'd recommend lower the priority of the process slightly, that way if you aren't doing anything else FM can run as fast as possible, but if you are it will take secondary prioirty and should allow other apps to proceed without a hitch.

@EdL - Unfortunately that doesnt work. I even put Oepra GX at High and FM at Low, and regardless, FM uses all 16cores 100%..

The only way to combat this is to use the affinity to limit what cores the game uses. Sweet spot for me is 6-8cores. You just have to remember to do this every time you load the game.

Would be better to add options in the game to limit CPU performance, kinda of poor coding to force a 16core CPU to run flat out in my opinion..

• SI Staff

Generally being able to use a CPU flat out is considered good coding and we often have complaints more about not using enough resources! As usual with FM we tend to be damned if we do, and damned if we don't.

But we could certainly consider an in game option to reduce the number of cores we use, the default would remain as-is though.