How do I beat 4-2-2-2 narrow?

No one beats them in my save. 

I tried everything. My first thought was to plant 2 DMs and bang everything on the wings. I lost like 6-0. Then I went to 4-2-2-2 with 2DMs to bunker the middle and ended up the same. I am clueless.

One time Cagliari used this tactic against me and ****** me 3-0 too. Is that some broken meta like 3 narrow forwards in FM15?

Zrzut ekranu 2024-01-15 o 18.38.49.png

This is my tactic (atalanta)

Zrzut ekranu 2024-01-15 o 18.42.03.png

Edited by szymunk
aaaa

Sure it's not that their squad is stronger? That looks like a very good team...

Off the top of my head your tactic is very attacking and depends on player movement to pull opponents out of position. If Inter's back 6 just sit tight they can absorb pressure then hit you on the break. They are vulnerable in the middle though, so I might be tempted to move your wingers down a strata.

You also have a lot of TIs which are limiting your players' choices. I personally never use PIS, POOD, WBIB, DTFB, PSGKD or GSI. I'd rather let my players decide. That might be too much freedom for you, but certainly try releasing their chains a little maybe?

Edited by NineCloudNine

What i do against a 4-2-2-2 when playing a 4-3-3 is the followin:

- instruct my 2 CM to man-mark the opposing CAMs. That way their creative players and strikers are marked with my DM being a free man that can close holes

- use the "trap outside" TI

- remove POOD and all transition TIs except for counter and counter press plus i add WBIB

POOD and distribute to xxx makes your buildup more predictable and easier to press. With WBIB your players will still try to play a controlled buildup but it's less predictable and you can better pull opponents out of their position.

- i wouldn't use pass into space. The 4-2-2-2, even with defenders out of position, is still a very narrow formation and spaces are hard to find. Passing into space can result in your players losing the ball to often.

- put the passing tempo one or 2 ticks higher. It should be easier to pull opponents around and your players have the technical abilities to pass faster

• SI Staff

They've got 4 central attacking players when they're countering or producing a quick direct attack.

If you go with your current shape in FM, they're going to have a spare player most of the time. You have 2v2 at CB then 1DM against 2 AMC's.

If you care primarily about stopping them and you're having an issue against this specific system i would consider a 3-4-2-1 type shape.

3CB's vs 2 ST (+1 in your favour for both defending and playing out)

2 DM's vs 2 AM's 

WB's free to step up and press the opposing FB's when the ball is on their side

2 AM's vs 2DM's

1ST vs their 2 CB's.

Without getting into too much other detail as you haven't spoken about too much else other then the formation, from a numbers perspective this is where I would start against a 4-2-2-2 and especially a 4-2-2-2 in FM.

Don't forget with the positional rotations feature you can start it in a 3-4-2-1 and make it look a lot different in possession after the rotations kick in.

9 hours ago, Aoyao said:

When to tweak his tempo in the game?

I tend to play slower if my opponent are sitting back and the opposite if my opponent are pressing higher up the pitch.

I say when you cannot beat them then become them :lol: Barcelona has dominated my Real Sociedad side with its exotic Brazilian-style 4-2-2-2 (two DMs and 2 AMCs) for two games. They used a deadly combo of DLF Lewandowski and AF Victor Osimhen upfront! I was intrigued because never saw AI use this formation before. Decided to try it out and now cannot go back. Winning games for fun. Will be writing a proper tactical guide about it in my Jogo Bonito thread soon.

Edited by crusadertsar

3 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

I say when you cannot beat them then become them :lol: Barcelona has dominated my Real Sociedad side with its exotic Brazilian-style 4-2-2-2 (two DMs and 2 AMCs) for two games. They used a deadly combo of DLF Lewandowski and AF Victor Osimhen upfront! I was intrigued because never saw AI use this formation before. Decided to try it out and now cannot go back. Winning games for fun. Will be writing a proper tactical guide about it in my Jogo Bonito thread soon.

Can't wait for this! Been trying to implement a Brazilian style 4222 in FM24 but struggled to succeed with any possession based system that doesn't look to build up in a 235/325.