[FM24] Celtic Nations League – Irish, Northern Irish, Scottish and Welsh Teams In One System

Around the turn of the millennium, with rugby having recently gone professional, the Welsh, Scottish and Irish rugby unions realised they couldn’t compete with the money in the English and French rugby leagues. The three nations banded together to create a united Celtic League with professional rugby clubs from the three countries all playing each other in an attempt to compete against the French and English financial powerhouses.

Now, in 2023, in the shadow of the English Premiership, the Welsh, Northern Irish, Irish and Scottish Football Associations see merit in a similar competition for association football.

With financial backing—some silent, some public—from major businesses, and proud and wealthy private individuals, the Scottish, Northern Irish, Welsh and Irish FAs have established a new seven tier system, with promotion and relegation, where all 148 main teams from those countries compete.

The four FAs have set out an ambitious goal, a top league—or two—that can compete at the highest levels of Europe, while the lower leagues focus on developing players from the nations themselves, and growing these players into the best footballers they can be. Not only that, keenly aware other leagues have created a system where teams risk everything to get to the top, for the financial rewards, the four FAs have decided their cornerstone will be sustainability. They want competition at all levels, with no teams forced to go to the wall. It will be better for everyone. And so the leagues have ensured TV deals, prize money and publicity for all levels.

The new system is designed to both celebrate and grow football across the 148 teams in Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Ireland.

Welcome to the Celtic Nations Leagues!

Have fun! And see if you can topple Rangers and Celtic with a smaller team.

Download for the (hopefully) final version for FM23 Celtic Nations League.fmf

And a link to the Main Data Update 24.3.0 Version on the Steam Workshop https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3223131358

---

Edited: Updated the Database on the Steam Workshop and the Download here for the 24.3.0 version with the April update. Even though there were no database changes made it did need to be re-verified to enable all funcationality.

The Steam version/download version here is now the only available version and is for The Main Data Update 24.3.0 database. It is the recommended experience. I've removed the other versions, and the original Steam link as a hodgepodge of databases is a mess to maintain and people could use them with the wrong data, etc.

If you have any issues I'd suggest downloading from Steam 

---

SiMaggio's video simming through 30 years of the database, if video is more your thing than text.

Edited by Little Miss Lump Kicker

Some things to note about the Celtic Nations League.

- These leagues are supposed to present as a rival in English language football to the English footballing system. Their setup is similar if not identical, and some conventions have been carried over. The money in the league is probably somewhere between Portugal and a low-level of France. The idea would be if you could establish the league as a real rival to the English Premiership.

- Due to the nature of setting up multi-country leagues, while still keeping European club competition places, the entire league is run under the auspices of the Irish FA. Teams qualify for Europe via the Irish placing (with coefficients having been edited in the DB to better reflect a league system of this caliber.)

- Teams will still get youth intakes based on their actual geographic location. Welsh teams will mostly get Welsh players in their youth intake, Scottish teams Scottish players, etc.

- The Footballing Importance in each nation has been set to “Very Important” to reflect the interest such a new league system has generated. The various countries’ Youth Rating have not been changed.

- Equally reflecting the excitement about the league, attendances in all clubs bar Rangers and Celtic, who couldn’t really grow, have increased.

- When picking a team choose from the Irish league system. That’s where all the Irish teams along with the other nations’ teams like Aberdeen, Motherwell, Bala, TNS, Glentoran, etc. are set to play.

- You should play on Original Game Mode in the game options. The leagues haven't been tested with any of the other modes. With Ireland changing from a summer season to a winter league there could be some problems for players in Irish teams coming in on contracts I didn't manually edit, unless you've signed them in game yourself, which, of course, is not an issue at all.

- Brexit rules don’t apply to the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish teams.

- Real Name Fixes should work but will change some of the custom titles I have for the leagues, so I wouldn't suggest it unless you absolutely want it. Logo packs and face packs won't be affected and should work as normal as well.

Have fun! Any feedback would be appreciated. A rough version of this system was made for FM23, with a lot of simming of leagues to establish starting league positions. It’s been simmed a fair bit in FM24 and a couple of people have taken a look, but updates will continue, hopefully.

Details of the Celtic Nations Leagues.

Celtic Nations Premiership

-18 Teams

- Champions

- 3 Relegation places to the Celtic Nations Championship

- Prize money for every position bar last.

- Parachute payments.

- TV money

Celtic Nations Championship

- 18 Teams

- Champions

- 3 Straight Promotion Places

- 3 Relegation Places

- Prize money for the top positions.

- TV money

-Celtic Nations League One through Three

- 20 Teams in each

- Champions

- 2 Straight Promotion Places

- 4 teams play off for a third promotion place

- 3 relegation places to the league beneath (including 3 to the Titanic Conference)

- Prize money for the top positions

- TV Money

Titanic Conference

- Two divisions at the same league level containing 20 teams in each.

- Champions in each division are promoted to Celtic Nations League Three

- 2nd and 3rd Placed team play off against 2nd and 3rd Placed team in the other Titanic Conference league in a semi-final and then final for one promotion place. There’s a total of three promotion places including the champions from the combined divisions.

- Bottom place of each division is relegated to the Welsh Lamb League.

- Prize Money for top positions

- TV money

Welsh Lamb League

- 12 Teams play each other 3 times.

- Champions

- Top 2 teams get promoted to the Titanic Conference

- No relegation as there’s no league beneath it

- Prize money for top positions

- TV money

CUP COMPETITIONS

FA Cup

- All 148 teams in a knockout competition

- Teams seeded based on ranking.

- Prize money for wins.

- Most prestigious Cup

New Parliament Cup

- All Welsh and Scottish teams play in a knockout competition

- No seeding, the draw is totally random.

- Prize money for wins.

- Winner enters the Celtic Nations Playoff at the beginning of the next season

Kingspan Cup

- All Irish and Northern Irish teams play in a knockout competition

- Prize money for wins.

Ballygowan Cup/Celtic Nations Playoff

- Season Opener for the entire league.

- Winner of the New Parliament Cup with the best Welsh or Scottish team plays the winner of the Kingspan Cup with the best Irish or Northern Irish team in a once off curtain raiser.

Causeway Cup

- Lower league cup competition

- Teams from the Welsh Lamb League, Titanic Conference, and Celtic League Three all play each other

- Prize money for wins

YOUTH TEAMS

- All teams have an u19 team.

- There is a competitive league system for all u19 teams, across the season

- Promotion and relegation between all u19 leagues

- TV money to help fund u19 teams

Youth FA Cup

- The same as the standard FA Cup except without prize money, but played between all u19 teams.

RESERVE TEAMS

- Some teams, depending on starting reputation, have a reserve team playing in one of three random reserve team leagues.

- Due to something I can’t figure out some Northern Irish teams have a reserve team playing in a Northern Irish Competition, my apologies.

WALES AND SCOTLAND

- The original/old Welsh and Scottish leagues should still be working

- These leagues are filled with amateur teams from non-playable leagues in the FM database

- Theoretically these teams should be playable but the quality of team is extremely low

- Not all competitions beyond the original leagues still exist in these nations

- These leagues will have teams qualify for European competition and could, theoretically, grow themselves back to their original status. However it’s unlikely.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, even just letting me know how your save is going.

Some images of the loaded Celtic Nations League Database.

- The top two leagues and a lower down league.

- Then the rules in the top three leagues.

- Then the squad rules in the top league.

- Then the transfer windows in the second bottom league. (No squad registration but there are matchday squad rules.)

- Then the league simulated to three years in, on full detail for the matches, with the results in the top two leagues and the previous three results of the FA Cup.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4 - Prem Rules.png

5 - Kerrygold Rules.png

6 - League 1 Rules.png

7 - Prem Reg Rules.png

8 - Titanic Conference Reg Rules.png

9 - Celtic Prem 3 Years.png

91 - Championship 3 Years.png

92 - FA Cup 3  Years.png

18 hours ago, Little Miss Lump Kicker said:

Details of the Celtic Nations Leagues.

Celtic Nations Premiership

-18 Teams

- Champions

- 3 Relegation places to the Celtic Nations Championship

- Prize money for every position bar last.

- Parachute payments.

- TV money

Celtic Nations Championship

- 18 Teams

- Champions

- 3 Straight Promotion Places

- 3 Relegation Places

- Prize money for the top positions.

- TV money

-Celtic Nations League One through Three

- 20 Teams in each

- Champions

- 2 Straight Promotion Places

- 4 teams play off for a third promotion place

- 3 relegation places to the league beneath (including 3 to the Titanic Conference)

- Prize money for the top positions

- TV Money

Titanic Conference

- Two divisions at the same league level containing 20 teams in each.

- Champions in each division are promoted to Celtic Nations League Three

- 2nd and 3rd Placed team play off against 2nd and 3rd Placed team in the other Titanic Conference league in a semi-final and then final for one promotion place. There’s a total of three promotion places including the champions from the combined divisions.

- Bottom place of each division is relegated to the Welsh Lamb League.

- Prize Money for top positions

- TV money

Welsh Lamb League

- 12 Teams play each other 3 times.

- Champions

- Top 2 teams get promoted to the Titanic Conference

- No relegation as there’s no league beneath it

- Prize money for top positions

- TV money

CUP COMPETITIONS

FA Cup

- All 148 teams in a knockout competition

- Teams seeded based on ranking.

- Prize money for wins.

- Most prestigious Cup

New Parliament Cup

- All Welsh and Scottish teams play in a knockout competition

- Prize money for wins.

Kingspan Cup

- All Irish and Northern Irish teams play in a knockout competition

- Prize money for wins.

Ballygowan Cup/Celtic Nations Playoff

- Season Opener for the entire league.

- Winner of the New Parliament Cup with the best Welsh or Scottish team plays the winner of the Kingspan Cup with the best Irish or Northern Irish team in a once off curtain raiser.

Causeway Cup

- Lower league cup competition

- Teams from the Welsh Lamb League, Titanic Conference, and Celtic League Three all play each other

- Prize money for wins

YOUTH TEAMS

- All teams have an u19 team.

- There is a competitive league system for all u19 teams, across the season

- Promotion and relegation between all u19 leagues

- TV money to help fund u19 teams

Youth FA Cup

- The same as the standard FA Cup except without prize money, but played between all u19 teams.

RESERVE TEAMS

- Some teams, depending on starting reputation, have a reserve team playing in one of three random reserve team leagues.

- Due to something I can’t figure out some Northern Irish teams have a reserve team playing in a Northern Irish Competition, my apologies.

WALES AND SCOTLAND

- The original/old Welsh and Scottish leagues should still be working

- These leagues are filled with amateur teams from non-playable leagues in the FM database

- Theoretically these teams should be playable but the quality of team is extremely low

- Not all competitions beyond the original leagues still exist in these nations

- These leagues will have teams qualify for European competition and could, theoretically, grow themselves back to their original status. However it’s unlikely.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, even just letting me know how your save is going.

I tried a massive edit like this in FM21. It was my favourite save. But as an inveterate lower league manager, I tried to add very low, regional leagues to put all these non-league Scottish, Welsh and Irish teams in the pyramid as amateur teams and start at the lowest level. I know it's a HUGE ask, but is there any way you could keep going and do a deeper dive? :)

6 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

I tried a massive edit like this in FM21. It was my favourite save. But as an inveterate lower league manager, I tried to add very low, regional leagues to put all these non-league Scottish, Welsh and Irish teams in the pyramid as amateur teams and start at the lowest level. I know it's a HUGE ask, but is there any way you could keep going and do a deeper dive? :)

There's a couple of reasons I won't...

1. It's a lot of effort. This has taken me two "game" years. One half-year of testing starting league position of various teams in FM23, learning how to use the editor. (The starting league positions are partly based on how teams would perform if given the opportunity to start at a higher league because they're "The Only Welsh League Team Strong Enough To.") Then the rest of that year of playing a team through the ranks and failing to beat Celtic and Rangers in the top division. Now I'm recreating it for FM24, with balance corrections. And I've still had little feedback on what is there in this version, although the feedback I have received has sorted out some major issues. This is a learning effort for me. I've never released something so publicly. Although I think most will have fun.

2. I don't think the effort it would take to add lower leagues pays off. I think FM at the really low levels is just going through the motions, albeit it's a different skill. All teams are interchangeable at a functional level. You'll come up against a terminal problem for your team at some rise through the ranks. The team will inevitably succeed (I'm already pushing that too far with the teams at the low levels of this DB.) Or else the game isn't designed for leagues full of players on amateur contracts. The game is already unbalanced and no-one in SI has really tested—from the evidence I can see—a league lower in tiers than such as the Vanarama Regionals. And even then it's often only the top league or European competition that's really a problem. In Europe, at least. It's basically a balance, and team individuality and special-ness issue.

3. I want to keep the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish leagues working. At the moment they should be, but I haven't tested them. They certainly provide teams for Europe. Taking even more teams out of Wales, Northern Ireland, etc. could cause real problems in the viability of those (shadow) leagues.

If you want to try a lower league save I suggest trying a team in the Titanic Conference. Set yourself some reasonable rules. Don't try Kerry in the Welsh Lamb League—the league below the Titanic leagues and the lowest—that team is actually a mistake by me I can't fix. They could easily get to Tunnocks League Two within a few years, and should probably be in the Tunnocks League 3. Although I'm thinking of doing a Youth Only save with them. The money is already very generous.

I'd be interested in what your experience was in your FM21 edit was, though? I don't think this is a massive edit. It took a lot of testing and a lot of grunt work—and hopefully now feedback—but all the rules are the basic "Nation" rules. I haven't gone into the advanced system at all. Much to my joy, surprise, and delight.

17 minutes ago, Little Miss Lump Kicker said:

There's a couple of reasons I won't...

1. It's a lot of effort. This has taken me two "game" years. One half-year of testing starting league position of various teams in FM23, learning how to use the editor. (The starting league positions are partly based on how teams would perform if given the opportunity to start at a higher league because they're "The Only Welsh League Team Strong Enough To.") Then the rest of that year of playing a team through the ranks and failing to beat Celtic and Rangers in the top division. Now I'm recreating it for FM24, with balance corrections. And I've still had little feedback on what is there in this version, although the feedback I have received has sorted out some major issues. This is a learning effort for me. I've never released something so publicly. Although I think most will have fun.

2. I don't think the effort it would take to add lower leagues pays off. I think FM at the really low levels is just going through the motions, albeit it's a different skill. All teams are interchangeable at a functional level. You'll come up against a terminal problem for your team at some rise through the ranks. The team will inevitably succeed (I'm already pushing that too far with the teams at the low levels of this DB.) Or else the game isn't designed for leagues full of players on amateur contracts. The game is already unbalanced and no-one in SI has really tested—from the evidence I can see—a league lower in tiers than such as the Vanarama Regionals. And even then it's often only the top league or European competition that's really a problem. In Europe, at least. It's basically a balance, and team individuality and special-ness issue.

3. I want to keep the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish leagues working. At the moment they should be, but I haven't tested them. They certainly provide teams for Europe. Taking even more teams out of Wales, Northern Ireland, etc. could cause real problems in the viability of those (shadow) leagues.

If you want to try a lower league save I suggest trying a team in the Titanic Conference. Set yourself some reasonable rules. Don't try Kerry in the Welsh Lamb League—the league below the Titanic leagues and the lowest—that team is actually a mistake by me I can't fix. They could easily get to Tunnocks League Two within a few years, and should probably be in the Tunnocks League 3. Although I'm thinking of doing a Youth Only save with them. The money is already very generous.

I'd be interested in what your experience was in your FM21 edit was, though? I don't think this is a massive edit. It took a lot of testing and a lot of grunt work—and hopefully now feedback—but all the rules are the basic "Nation" rules. I haven't gone into the advanced system at all. Much to my joy, surprise, and delight.

1. I totally get that - it was impertinent of me to ask.

2. I understand all these points - I've been managing in (very) lower leagues for over 10 years now. I'm currently doing a save in Scotland where I started in the 13th tier, and a bunch of guys on the forum have joined in with their own saves  https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/580149-thorfinn-–-a-sporting-and-social-revolution-begins/

For those of us that enjoy such a perverse way of playing FM, it's a ton of fun.

3.  I'm deep into the save above, but I'll download and run a holiday save of your file and load up those Celtic non-leagues to see how they pan out. There's a good chance I will use your db and take a lowest league side (maybe just edit in Loch Ness FC in place of a Welsh team with an ugly name).

4. I'm rubbish with the editor and it took me weeks, using simple rules. I only made single leagues down the ladder for North Wales, South Wales, Scottish Highlands and Lowlands, North and South of Ireland, down to about levels 8 or 9. It wasn't like those English dbs with hundreds of lower divisions. I slipped a naughty 'Craggy Island' into the lowest Irish league, and managed Tintern Abbey in South Wales.

Anyway, as I say, I'm deep into my current save, but I hope to move onto yours next. I hope it's very popular and people have much enjoyment from it.  :thup:

Edited by phnompenhandy

On 18/12/2023 at 20:04, Little Miss Lump Kicker said:

Around the turn of the millennium, with rugby having recently gone professional, the Welsh, Scottish and Irish rugby unions realised they couldn’t compete with the money in the English and French rugby leagues. The three nations banded together to create a united Celtic League with professional rugby clubs from the three countries all playing each other in an attempt to compete against the French and English financial powerhouses.

Now, in 2023, in the shadow of the English Premiership, the Welsh, Northern Irish, Irish and Scottish Football Associations see merit in a similar competition for association football.

With financial backing—some silent, some public—from major businesses, and proud and wealthy private individuals, the Scottish, Northern Irish, Welsh and Irish FAs have established a new seven tier system, with promotion and relegation, where all 148 main teams from those countries compete.

The four FAs have set out an ambitious goal, a top league—or two—that can compete at the highest levels of Europe, while the lower leagues focus on developing players from the nations themselves, and growing these players into the best footballers they can be. Not only that, keenly aware other leagues have created a system where teams risk everything to get to the top, for the financial rewards, the four FAs have decided their cornerstone will be sustainability. They want competition at all levels, with no teams forced to go to the wall. It will be better for everyone. And so the leagues have ensured TV deals, prize money and publicity for all levels.

The new system is designed to both celebrate and grow football across the 148 teams in Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Ireland.

Welcome to the Celtic Nations Leagues!

Have fun! And see if you can topple Rangers and Celtic with a smaller team.

Celtic Nations Database - Release Candidate 1.2.1.fmf 75.5 kB · 11 downloads

Thanks for making this. I really like the fact that most levels have just 1 league. My laptop is using far too much time when I load other lower league databases which have mulitple leagues on the same level.

I am still on FM23 though, so I cannot play this, but I hope you'll get the attention this mod deserves.

9 minutes ago, Jorgen said:

Thanks for making this. I really like the fact that most levels have just 1 league. My laptop is using far too much time when I load other lower league databases which have mulitple leagues on the same level.

I am still on FM23 though, so I cannot play this, but I hope you'll get the attention this mod deserves.

Exactly. My decade old rig can't run the English files, be it the Level 20 one by Dan or just the 10 levels by Leo. There are hundreds of divisions I'll never go near bloating the save. For me, going deep but narrow is the way my computer can handle lower league long-term careers.

20 hours ago, Little Miss Lump Kicker said:

I'm currently holidaying through this. It's whizzing along very nicely. Just to be clear, are you saying it's fine to start in the Welsh Lamb providing you avoid Kerry? This tickles a LLaMa's fancy - Abertillery Bluebirds

abiblue.png.e27281c58c46ca3b67a0a3e5a88a8f60.png

I've taken to them ever since I found this picture of their pitch

abertillerybluebirdsground-nessiepark.png.a56161da38cf6a13996e966ec6db21a0.png

If I can work out how to add leagues and make promotions and relegations work - and add some cups, I could try to extend your file down a few levels. As I say, it's quick and light, so a few linear tiers wouldn't slow the process down noticeably.

Edited by phnompenhandy

1 hour ago, phnompenhandy said:

Exactly. My decade old rig can't run the English files, be it the Level 20 one by Dan or just the 10 levels by Leo. There are hundreds of divisions I'll never go near bloating the save. For me, going deep but narrow is the way my computer can handle lower league long-term careers.

Exactly! So I always look for a db that has just that.

7 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

I'm currently holidaying through this. It's whizzing along very nicely. Just to be clear, are you saying it's fine to start in the Welsh Lamb providing you avoid Kerry? This tickles a LLaMa's fancy - Abertillery Bluebirds

abiblue.png.e27281c58c46ca3b67a0a3e5a88a8f60.png

I've taken to them ever since I found this picture of their pitch

Taking over any team in any league will be fine. It's just Kerry are too good for that league, in reality. It'd makes things easy. I figured if you wanted to try a bottom to top save a good team like Kerry might make things appealing to some people, or if you're doing a youth only save. Abertillery Bluebirds are absolutely A-OK to take over.

The reason it says R, etc. next to their names is just some database muckery with how the teams were technically in a "higher tier" league the season before, but it was the Welsh leagues, not this new Celtic Leagues. It'll give some stuff about "Lowest ever position" in the news at the end of the season but board expectations about finishing position, etc. should all be fine.

And I'm glad people are pleased with the DB. I really do hope you have fun with it and post updates about how your save is going.

4 hours ago, michaelfarrow said:

Being a massive nerd, I calculated the actual UEFA co-efficients:

22/23 - 2.5
21/22 - 4
20/21 - 3.7
19/20 - 3.6
18/19 - 2.3
17/18 - 1.6

Haha! That's brilliant! I'm tempted to include that as the co-efficient in the next update, but only if it's greater, in general, than what's in there. If you don't mind?

At the moment the Celtic Leagues are using Scotland's ratings, and the Northern Irish, Welsh and Scottish leagues that were left in are using Wales's. 

1 hour ago, MJB1986 said:

Well done mate, I can see you put a lot of time into this.

Across FM23 and FM24, including devising rough starting positions for teams in the leagues, learning how to use the editor, actually working in the editor, then testing/simming and iterating over what I did then I'd say hundreds of hours. Probably close to 500 hours. If you include the save I did in the FM23 version of this then probably about 1,000 hours, all in. 

Things were a lot easier this year because I had a rough idea of how the pre-game editor worked, I just had to re-familarise myself with it. And I had a lot of the groundwork laid from FM23 in getting the raw data ready, and a few balance changes I needed to make. With FM24, across the editor and simming through leagues for tests it's probably about 100 hours. Then about another fifteen or twenty hours writing about it and talking to people about it.

It was all enjoyable, though. And my next save proper will be in it. The save I'm currently doing is where I moved one of the Irish teams to the Vanarama South and have been seeing how high I can take them. I've been in the Championship for a few years, now in my fourth year in it and tearing my hair out. I'm due to get a new stadium at the end of this season so I've got at least one more season in that save before I do something new. I've never had a stadium built for me in any FM and I want to get that done. The increased attendance should help my finances and it looks like my sponsorship income is finally starting to catch up. So I might finally have some money.

4 hours ago, Little Miss Lump Kicker said:

Haha! That's brilliant! I'm tempted to include that as the co-efficient in the next update, but only if it's greater, in general, than what's in there. If you don't mind?

At the moment the Celtic Leagues are using Scotland's ratings, and the Northern Irish, Welsh and Scottish leagues that were left in are using Wales's. 

I don't know how it would actually work because there's no precedent so I think you're better off using Scotland's, which is what you've done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 21/12/2023 at 04:09, Little Miss Lump Kicker said:

Across FM23 and FM24, including devising rough starting positions for teams in the leagues, learning how to use the editor, actually working in the editor, then testing/simming and iterating over what I did then I'd say hundreds of hours. Probably close to 500 hours. If you include the save I did in the FM23 version of this then probably about 1,000 hours, all in. 

Things were a lot easier this year because I had a rough idea of how the pre-game editor worked, I just had to re-familarise myself with it. And I had a lot of the groundwork laid from FM23 in getting the raw data ready, and a few balance changes I needed to make. With FM24, across the editor and simming through leagues for tests it's probably about 100 hours. Then about another fifteen or twenty hours writing about it and talking to people about it.

So did you start creating this in FM23 and then roll over the file to the FM24 editor? Or did you actually recreate it from scratch in the FM24 editor?

If rolling it over, how did that work out for you? What kinks did you hit? Have there been any bugs? 

Also, how did you change the footballing importance for each country? Is that "game importance" under each respective nation in the editor? (Never thought of this. Love it.) 

I was building a similar league in FM23 with all Irish, N. Irish, Scottish, and Welsh teams (albeit with three national divisions at the 3rd and 4th tiers) but ran into a lot of bugs and then problems with a Leagues Cup style mid-season tournament (which I won't try again). I've been wondering whether I should try taking that edit into the FM24 editor. (Alternately, I might just play yours! :) Although I'm obsessive in my view that football should be played in the summer in the British Isles and Ireland. It's cold and wet in winter, beautiful in summer.) 

Obviously, I love what you've done here. I'm curious as to your experience on the questions above. 

Edited by AQ

On 20/01/2024 at 16:09, AQ said:

So did you start creating this in FM23 and then roll over the file to the FM24 editor? Or did you actually recreate it from scratch in the FM24 editor?

If rolling it over, how did that work out for you? What kinks did you hit? Have there been any bugs? 

Also, how did you change the footballing importance for each country? Is that "game importance" under each respective nation in the editor? (Never thought of this. Love it.) 

I was building a similar league in FM23 with all Irish, N. Irish, Scottish, and Welsh teams (albeit with three national divisions at the 3rd and 4th tiers) but ran into a lot of bugs and then problems with a Leagues Cup style mid-season tournament (which I won't try again). I've been wondering whether I should try taking that edit into the FM24 editor. (Alternately, I might just play yours! :) Although I'm obsessive in my view that football should be played in the summer in the British Isles and Ireland. It's cold and wet in winter, beautiful in summer.) 

Obviously, I love what you've done here. I'm curious as to your experience on the questions above. 

No file was rolled over to the FM24 editor, it's entirely from scratch. What I did in FM23 was create the basic structure and then did hundreds of hours of simming, tweaking starting positions/leagues for teams to try and find a balance for where they began. I wanted to give the best mix of a spread of teams from across the individual footballing nations, while allowing the bigger clubs from the likes of Wales and NI to take advantage of a quick injection of money. If you only went on something like reputation I think you'd see the entire top division with only the Scottish teams and Cardiff and Swansea (which technically came from the English league system.)

Yeah, the footballing importance is something like "game importance" can't remember specifically. Scotland was already on very high, I think the other three were on high and switched to very high. There was no change in the numerical value of their youth rating. This is supposed to reflect the increased interest in the game with the new league system.

Good luck with making your own DB. I think what I found with making it twice was that when I came to do it with FM24 I found a little of little tricks to save me from switching to the advanced rules editing. It makes things a lot simpler, but there's still a lot of power available in the basic rules.

• 1 month later...
I don't know when, or if, I'll be updating the database to the new Data Version, the last transfer window version. It's a bit of work. The original version will always work with the standard FM DB, and the only real issue would be updating the Irish teams for the new DB, it's just a little finnicky. It'll take a bit of effort but I'll get there, at some point. I'll also update one or two small mistakes I've found (like where one cup final is played, something I spotted in SiMaggio's video on youtube highlighting the Celtic Nation's Database.)

I wanted to post this now because I just saw the Italy v Scotland Six Nations match, and some of the inspiration for this Celtic Nations Database came from the original Celtic League where Scottish, Welsh and Irish rugby teams played against each other. At the moment, for now, the big rugby nations (Ireland, New Zealand and South Africa (but not France)) are run with the good of the sport in the nations at the centre of the sport. Italy have taken this first win in the 6N, in a long time, after focusing their rugby game on improving their domestic game. That's at the heart of this Football Manager DB edit. Scotland, Wales, Ireland, and Northern Ireland, in this DB edit, are all focused on improving themselves as footballing nations. Their focus is across the game, from the lowest levels, all the way to European success. I felt now was a good time to remind people of that, and include an update on likelihood of the DB getting an update to the latest SI/FM DB version. I most likely will get to it.

If anyone could point me to a guide about uploading to the Steam Community (which I believe is allowed by SI/FM) I'd also appreciate that. And any tips on what I could do to help visibility.

kudos to you I did something like this in FM21 so I know the effort you put in:thup:

I have also tried a UK league to incorporate England to that didnt go as I planned;)

and tried things like putting the Welsh teams back in the Welsh leagues and trying to get parity in the 'home nations' leagues with finances etc

but this is something I will look at for sure it looks excellent

cheers

Just edited my original post to include the database .fmf file for the Main Data Update (the one for the February/March update with the new transfers for this year.)

Again, I don't know how this works with any other "Game Mode" other than "Original" so I would highly recommend you use the "Original" mode, not "Real World" or "Your World."

All teams should start the 2023/2024 season with the players they signed in the January window in real life. That's just the way the database has to work with the Irish leagues being integrated into a winter league from a summer league. Anything else would really mess them up.

Some other edits include that the cup finals, especially the New Parliament Cup (between all the Welsh and Scottish teams), will be played at a more appropriate ground. As well as the Causeway Cup final (between the bottom three tiers.)

Another update is that managers of Irish teams, the AI teams, have their starting contracts changed to better reflect the new season schedule being a winter league.

I'm going to try to get the Main Data Update file uploaded onto the Steam Workshop, so try finding it there in maybe a day or so, maybe sooner, if that suits you better?

If anyone has updates on how their save in this DB edit is going I'd really appreciate them. And I already appreciate the many comments about how interesting the DB is, and the praise for the work I've put into it, which has been quite bit. <3 to you all! We probably have a little over seven months before the big fancy new FM is released, so plenty of time to dig into a save with the Celtic Nations League!

SiMaggio did a video on youtube running through decades of simming the Celtic Nations League. It's a look at what's going on with the DB, at the least.

I had slightly different results when I ran the league on full detail in the details setting but it's a broad overview of what's happening.

Posted (edited)

Edited to update The Original Database Version to Version 1.2.2 and to update the Main Data Update Version

Bug fixes in both versions include changing Wrexham's minimum club attendance.

Bug fixes in the original data version already in the main data version includes updating the Irish manager's end of contract dates to the correct end of season date.

Edit: There could have been issues with this update and verifying the database. Read the next post for details on where to get the new files.

I've updated the Database on the Steam Workshop and the Download here for the 24.3.0 version with the April update. Even though there were no database changes made it did need to be re-verified to enable all funcationality.

The Steam version/download version here is now the only available version and is for The Main Data Update 24.3.0 database. It is the recommended experience. I've removed the other versions, and the original Steam link as a hodgepodge of databases is a mess to maintain and people could use them with the wrong data, etc.

If you have any issues I'd suggest downloading from Steam.

Download for the (hopefully) final version for FM23 Celtic Nations League.fmf

And a link to the Main Data Update 24.3.0 Version on the Steam Workshop https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3223131358