Does Training Schedules Affect Match Outcome?

Hey guys!
I have a question that’s been bothering me for a lot of fm games through the years.

i see online and on YouTube videos that there are schedules focusing on specific style of plays and others that are a bit more all around, the majority of them have one main goal and that is to develop players.

Dont get me wrong everyone loves those green arrows but, part from developing players and managing fitness do you think that training schedules really affect the outcome of a match?

Of course tactical familiarity increases but let’s say for example you can’t score any goals, does focusing on an attacking schedule would help you score more or is it more lets say helping improving those “attacking” attributes?

Or if you focus an a “defensive week training” before an important match would that help you be more solid let’s say?

35 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

The training schedules work on long term development. They have no effect on 'the next game'. That's what the match preparation sessions do - they focus on the next game but have no long-term benefits.

That makes sense, that’s why it’s called match preparation sessions.

Does that mean that if you want to see results on your scoring for example, you need to focus on “attacking schedules” for a whole month let’s say, or at least a period longer than a week?

12 minutes ago, zois92 said:

That makes sense, that’s why it’s called match preparation sessions.

Does that mean that if you want to see results on your scoring for example, you need to focus on “attacking schedules” for a whole month let’s say, or at least a period longer than a week?

I don't think one month is long enough, but it depends on the individual players, facilities, coaches and other variables.

43 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

I don't think one month is long enough, but it depends on the individual players, facilities, coaches and other variables.

Yeah one month was just an example.

so basically in the short term only match preparation affects the upcoming game 

3 horas atrás, zois92 disse:

Hey guys!
I have a question that’s been bothering me for a lot of fm games through the years.

i see online and on YouTube videos that there are schedules focusing on specific style of plays and others that are a bit more all around, the majority of them have one main goal and that is to develop players.

Dont get me wrong everyone loves those green arrows but, part from developing players and managing fitness do you think that training schedules really affect the outcome of a match?

Of course tactical familiarity increases but let’s say for example you can’t score any goals, does focusing on an attacking schedule would help you score more or is it more lets say helping improving those “attacking” attributes?

Or if you focus an a “defensive week training” before an important match would that help you be more solid let’s say?

I raised a similar question in another thread based on the default training schedule for "Big Match Preparation", which makes sense if you think about short-term benefits. There was precedence for "upcoming match effects" before and we never know if SI forgets to change their descriptions (like now with Set Pieces familiarity) or doesn't explain some mechanics of the game. Match Focus sessions last for a week, there is even a bug related to this that I already reported that you can't change preparation for the second game in the week. Training ratings are also weekly, Aggression is mentioned on a few sessions but is never developed.
Maybe there are weekly short-term benefits that are consolidated monthly. As always we depend on SI staff to be sure.

14 minutes ago, vcpinheiro14 said:

I raised a similar question in another thread based on the default training schedule for "Big Match Preparation", which makes sense if you think about short-term benefits. There was precedence for "upcoming match effects" before and we never know if SI forgets to change their descriptions (like now with Set Pieces familiarity) or doesn't explain some mechanics of the game. Match Focus sessions last for a week, there is even a bug related to this that I already reported that you can't change preparation for the second game in the week. Training ratings are also weekly, Aggression is mentioned on a few sessions but is never developed.
Maybe there are weekly short-term benefits that are consolidated monthly. As always we depend on SI staff to be sure.

Exactly that, if it weren't for the content creators we wouldn't know for example about the duration of the Match Focus.
I think they could do a bit more on explaining more the effect on the upcoming match a training session has.

In theory every training session would affect the match but it is a bit vague

30 minutos atrás, zois92 disse:

Exactly that, if it weren't for the content creators we wouldn't know for example about the duration of the Match Focus.
I think they could do a bit more on explaining more the effect on the upcoming match a training session has.

In theory every training session would affect the match but it is a bit vague

Yes. In real life everything trained has a short-term effect because of muscle memory, and memory in mental tasks. SI claims to be in contact with real managers to implement realism.

I disagree with a lot of what has been posted here, I play the game on Full 90 match highlights since FM09, I can attest that training in a certain way does have an influence in the way the team performs in their following matches.

The skill is recognizing what your team is missing which I think would be quite difficult watching brief highlights.

17 minutes ago, Os said:

I disagree with a lot of what has been posted here, I play the game on Full 90 match highlights since FM09, I can attest that training in a certain way does have an influence in the way the team performs in their following matches.

The skill is recognizing what your team is missing which I think would be quite difficult watching brief highlights.

90 minute highlights ???
Damn that is a different kind of dedication there

What difference does it make when choosing generic sessions eg "defending" rather than a specific session such as "defending from the front"???

Logically i would suggest the generic session has a tiny effect on a broad set of attributes, whereas a specific session would improve specific attributes but might even hurt others?

I tend to think of the generic sessions as lower league sessions which could be totally wrong

On 16/12/2023 at 19:01, zois92 said:

Hey guys!

In a nutshell, No. Do attacking wing play sessions improve how you play the next game specifically? No. Anyone who claims they do is misguided. The sessions help your team develop attributes for that style of play, so your players will develop attributes that help them and this occurs over a longer time frame, which is why I only use one training schedule and repeat it every week it is balanced, targeting attributes for my style of play. 

Can anyone explain what "Defensive Shadow Play" and "Attacking Shadow Play" sessions do, and what attributes they develop?

If im only playing one game per week, i run a custom "Big Match Prep" schedule, and it looks like this (sorry for no pics):

Monday: 1. Overall 2. Outfield 3. Goalkeepers

Tuesday: 1. Attacking Shadow Play 2. Defensive Shadow Play 3. Chance Creation

Wednesday: 1. Defending Engaged/Disengaged (depending on tactic for match), 2. Trainsition Press/Restrict (depending on tactic for match), 3. Chance Conversion

Thursday: 1. Attacking Shadow Play 2. Defensive Shadow Play 3. Team Bonding

Friday: 1: Set Piece Routines 2. Rest 3. Match Focus

Game Day

Sunday: 1: Recovery 2. Match Review 3. Rest

This is just a basic schedule that is tailored around big match prep, so is this actually improving anyone? 

Some players do show green arrows to suggest attributes have gone up, is that to do with individual training more so than the overall schedule? or match time? all 3?

Its a bit of a grey area this one i find

10 hours ago, Hoofenballen said:

What difference does it make when choosing generic sessions eg "defending" rather than a specific session such as "defending from the front"???

Can anyone explain what "Defensive Shadow Play" and "Attacking Shadow Play" sessions do, and what attributes they develop?

The game tells you.

Just now, phnompenhandy said:

The game tells you.

It does but the attributes worked on are so broad that in the example of a generic session, surely you arent going to see big gains across all of those attributes if you keep running those sessions?

Surely if you want to really boost someone attributes, its individual training you need, right?

3 minutes ago, Hoofenballen said:

It does but the attributes worked on are so broad that in the example of a generic session, surely you arent going to see big gains across all of those attributes if you keep running those sessions?

Surely if you want to really boost someone attributes, its individual training you need, right?

Yes, if you want that. As Rashidi says, choosing too many non-general sessions would lead to unbalanced players, but that might work for what some people want. Personally, to boost attributes in individuals, I do use individual training, yes. Of course, you use both team and individual training. A lot of my lazier players complain I overwork them, but there isn't an option to have them sit out team training and double-down on individual sessions.

4 hours ago, Rashidi said:

In a nutshell, No. Do attacking wing play sessions improve how you play the next game specifically? No. Anyone who claims they do is misguided. The sessions help your team develop attributes for that style of play, so your players will develop attributes that help them and this occurs over a longer time frame, which is why I only use one training schedule and repeat it every week it is balanced, targeting attributes for my style of play. 

that helped a lot thank you!

I would love to see SI's opinion on that matter also, i dont think anyone officially from the team touched this subject before.

2 hours ago, zois92 said:

that helped a lot thank you!

I would love to see SI's opinion on that matter also, i dont think anyone officially from the team touched this subject before.

They did in the unofficially officially training guide and that was posted on the forums a few years back when the training module was introduced. They do read the forum threads and make comments if they feel their input is needed.

6 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

They did in the unofficially officially training guide and that was posted on the forums a few years back when the training module was introduced. They do read the forum threads and make comments if they feel their input is needed.

i didnt know about that first part.
Thanks for sharing the information