Joey's Incessant Obsession with the 442

Great write up and nice to get a bit of depth on the forgotten 442. 

I assume there are no PIs? 

Could you give a brief summary of what type of players are needed for the different positions?

What do you do against back 3s? 352 and so on

Edited by Mutumba

15 hours ago, mikcheck said:

@Rashidi would you still apply  the  BWM role to a player with not so good tackling? Or would you change it to a simple CM(D) instead?

I change roles based on what I want that position to do, I would not change a BWM(S) to a CM(D) because I want the BWM to be pressing higher up the pitch. a CM(D) holds his position. If I wanted someone to hold their position and play deeper I might consider a CM(D). In either case if I want someone to do that kind of a job ie, win the ball, he would have the necessary attributes for the job. If I don't have two central midfielders who can win the ball and be great at linking up play, I wouldnt be using a 442.

15 hours ago, Mutumba said:

Great write up and nice to get a bit of depth on the forgotten 442. 

I assume there are no PIs? 

Could you give a brief summary of what type of players are needed for the different positions?

What do you do against back 3s? 352 and so on

There are some PI's my usual ones higher up the pitch, which are mark tight and tackle hard. Apart from that I don't use any other PIs. If a player sometimes takes too many shots instead of pass them or is bad at dribbling I will use a PI to influence that behaviour. So any PI changes apart from those on the strikers are specific to the type of player playing in the role.

Generally:
IFBs - need height and jumping reach, anticipation, concentration, pace, acceleration, first touch, passing, agility and balance.
BPD - Jumping reach, anticipation, heading, passing, decisions, positioning, concentration, acceleration
W - work rate, stamina, aggression, passing, crossing, decisions, balance, acceleration

CMs - aggression, stamina, work rate, decisions, positioning, off the ball (for those expected to play Attack duty) anticipation, concentration, vision, (for those expected to attack/create), tackling, bravery

Strikers- Strength, Jumping reach, off the ball, acceleration, finishing, composure, off the ball, anticipation, first touch

Against a 352, I would play a staggered setup, one attack duty and one defend duty in midfield.

Basically whenever I am playing against a back 3 I try to achieve this set up, so that I have two options, I can either go down the flanks or through the middle. If you look at the oppositions positioning in defence, they have 3  defenders, we have two attackers and someone positioned in front of them. Either way I can rip the central three apart, by drawing them out.

Stepladder.png.2258b298d6f12857fdbafc2c3b7c0989.png

This is the principle reason why my IFBs have the overlap, that positions them higher up the pitch allowing me more flexibility in attack, these kind of attacks are not guaranteed successes, and I am always assessing my squad every season using my Dr Jit tool,assessing how my team does compared to other teams in the same league, to see whether I need to strengthen certain areas.

To be fair my game has evolved with this edition, the reasoning is simple. A formation can morph in a lot of ways. Take a 433DM for example.

If you play with a WB pair and a AP/Mez/DM its got space on the flanks and some in the middle, the AP and Mez and potentially end up supporting the flanks, if I see an IWB/WB in the backline its a congested midfield, then I look in midfield and try and understand how those roles will move. I do like this engine more than previous engines because its great for players who want to adapt on the fly. Naturally you can power through with "better than average" players with fantastic physicals, but wheres the challenge in out bruting a system when you can do it with a bit of panache?

47 minutes ago, dannyfc said:

@Rashidi I notice you opt for Work Into the Box in most of your tactics, any particular reason why? 

Id be interested to know how it influences player behaviour differently from tempo and passing settings. Thanks

Just from my perspective i like work ball in box but not for the reasons you may think.

For me, i think its a great way to attack and press as a unit. I find working the ball into the box is great for transitional situations where its wasier to retrieve the ball back