FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by nch:

Yeah but I hope they will retire as I do not want to to release players like Scholes and Giggs .. icon_frown.gif

Tell them that they can become good coaches and sign them them as coaches when they resign from football icon_smile.gif

Atleast that's my plan. I've just signed Sheringham for 18k for tutoring purposes and to make him a coach when he retires.

I'm also planning on bringing in Beckham again in the future.

Also on the Banega subject; I know he's a great player, but he doesn't really fir into my system. I'll definately keep him but hopefully I'll be able to get 15+ mio for him at some point.

I've just brought in Muamba to rotate with Hargreaves now.

I'm heading into the final month of my first season with united and it's been an exciting one.

We've won the premiership by 9 points from Tottenham, Chelsea lost their last 5 games and only reached the Uefa cup. This season Avram Grant, Rafa Benitez and Arsene Wenger have all been sacked.

Into the champions league final to face Real Madrid after beating Barcelona in the semis 6-3 on aggregate

Also in the FA cup final to face the relegated Blackburn

I'm thinking of bringing another centre back in depending on how good Cathcart becomes anyone had him for a few seasons?

Start of season 08/09

Transfers in:

Lulinha - 2.5 mio

Sheringham, Teddy - 18k

Rafael - 1.2 mio

Fabio - 1.2 mio

Muamba, Fabrice - 7.5 mio

Torres, Miguel - 7.5 mio

Bale, Gareth - 13 mio

Total: 33 mio

Transfers out:

Didn't manage to sell anyone except Christopher Fagan for 600k. Wanted to sell Park, O'Shea and Kuszczak but noone bid.

I preiously had a 16 mio offer accepted for Miguel Torres but he then signed a new contract which had a 7.5 mio release clause, which I took advange of icon_cool.gif

Sheringham has been bought for tutoring and coach purpose. Bale will provide some cover on the left side and will take over after Evra when that time comes. Muamba just looks too good not to be bought for 7.5 mio and will provide some strenght in midfield.

Youngsters update

Banega looks really great, but he just doesn't fit into my tactics. He will get some games now and then, but I'm hoping to offload him for a large sum of money in the future.

I now no less than 8 wonderkids: Banega, Jovetic, Muamba, Bale, Evans, Anderson, Breno and Gibson.

Baxter is still labelled as the next Rooney, Zeefuik as the next Nistelrooy and Hewson is now touted as the next Scholes icon_cool.gif

Also Saivet and Wijnaldum looks amazing.

Start of season update

5 games played so far.

2-0 win against Chelsea in the Charity Shield with goals from Anderson and Jovetic.

1-0 against Aston Villa

1-0 against Fulham

2-0 against Arsenal

5-1 against West Ham

Owen was named third in Player of the month and I won manager of the month.

Now I'm off to play Switzerland in the World Cup qualification - my first game in charge of England icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Evon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hewson is now touted as the next Scholes

icon_biggrin.gif He's so crap. How can he be the next Scholes? I can't think of anything more unlikely... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He actually looks really promising. I wouldn't be surprised if he's labelled as a wonderkid in less than half a year icon_eek.gif

End of Transfer Window Update 07/08

Yes, I've only just managed to get here after a month. But my brother is playing as Bristol City.

Squad:

11132007171632uz3.th.jpg

Transfer In and Out:

11132007171658hm0.th.jpg

I've done well so far winning all my games-which is about 4 including the Community Shield. Rooney is doing brilliantly as usual. Tevez is doing well as is Owen. My buys are turning out to be gems as usual. Ignashevich hasn't played yet but seems a very decent backup. My youngsters are doing ffffb too especially Saivet. He's getting MoM's every match. Getting tutored by Rooney must help icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Jimmy Valentino:

Wow, I am suprised at how fast young talent improves, Nani is starting to look like a great player already in Febuary season 1...

Yeah, I've noticed that too. Saivet, Wijnaldum and Jovetic are all playing regular firstteam football for me in second season.

In fact Evans, Gibson, Breno, Hewson, Lee Martin and Zeefuik would play too, was it not for the stiff competition.

Originally posted by wizkid:

Nanis stamina really pees me off.

Then you should try playing Eagles icon_biggrin.gif

No, just give him some heavy aerobic training and he'll be better very soon.

After a successful 3 year stint at WBA, culminating in a 7th placed finish in the Prem, Fergie retired and I was offered the opportunity to take over my beloved United!

How the team has changed:

Outs

Obviously Scholes, Giggs, Nev, VDS have retired, I purchased Nani for my WBA team, Pique has been sold to Milan, Kuszack - Portsmouth, Saha and Silvestre contracts were up, so I let them go as they were on big wages.

Ins

David Jones has been re-acquired from Derby for £10m, Bodmer has been bought in from Lyon

What have we got what is needed

I plan to go with a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Foster has become England No1;

Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra mean three out of four positions of the back-four are covered.

Hargreaves, Bodmer, Fletcher, Anderson will fight it out for the two central midfield spots.

The big three Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez are still there and should cover the attacking midfield roles.

I've let Saha go so no real main striker. Does Campbell become United class on the game?

What is needed

The club is in fairly decent financial state, £80m bank balance, and the board have given me £61m to spend. I reckon I'll sell David Jones and a couple of the young lads, should be able to raise another £20m.

A quality right back with pace is needed.

With Giggs and Nani gone, I have no natural left winger, so that's also a must.

I am going to try playing Rooney in the central strikers role, but defo want a big, Strong striker to lead the line. I had Aratilao at WBA and he was second top scorer in the prem last season, is it worth bringing him to the club?

Also a back-up keeper

Any suggestions will be appreciated? icon14.gif

Also any advice on with of the youngsters become good, as most of them i.e. Wellbeck, Cathcart, Evans, Lee, Simpson are still there.

Just started with United (bought the game yesterday) and i bought Huntelaar with the 12 million i had to spend. Trying to sell O'Shea, Silvestre and Eagles?! Played my 1st couple of pre season games and im unbeaten, Huntelaar getting 3 in 3!!

I asked the board for more money and they said no... any suggestions on what i should do?

Originally posted by -Only one Ronaldo-:

Just started with United (bought the game yesterday) and i bought Huntelaar with the 12 million i had to spend. Trying to sell O'Shea, Silvestre and Eagles?! Played my 1st couple of pre season games and im unbeaten, Huntelaar getting 3 in 3!!

I asked the board for more money and they said no... any suggestions on what i should do?

If you've got money left in your wage budget you can move it over to your transfer budget.

Or you can reduce the asking price of the players that you are trying to sell to zero, get clubs interested in them and then negogiate their offers.

Wow, my squad is getting way too big as I just can't overlook talents like Evans, Breno and Catchcart now just to mention the defence.

That leaves me with following centrabacks:

Vidic, Ferdinand, Pique, Evans, Brown, Cathcart, Breno and also Krystian Pearce is starting to look amazing now and beside him, I've got this 16 year old regen coming through who looks like he'll be a beast.

What to do? I want to keep my homegrown players like Cathcart, Pearce and Evans..

Originally posted by MD-Ronaldo:

They arn't world class players. I don't think they'll ever be 1st Team quality, maybe backup but not rotation IMO. Get as much money as you can for them and get a couple of real future stars...

I think we all know that Evans will be quality, but actually Cathcart has better stats now and Peace almost as good - the only think letting him down is his positioning which is only 11.

Anyway, I have this same problem everywhere in my squad; too many players with my youngsters comming through.

I'll have a cleanout when the season's over I guess.

Just started a new season with Man Utd and here are my transfers in and out atm:

So this is what my squad currently looks like:

manchesterunitedmanutdpjj7.png

Do you recomend I sign anyone else? Where should I improve?

Any help and advice is welcome.

Cheers, harryseaess

I would buy a backup for Evra, as you have sold Silvestre and O'shea. I'm guessing Saha is in your reserves?(as he isn't shown in the transfers out or the main squad). I would send 1 or 2 of the wingers you've signed on loan as you seem to have too many and sell Saha. I think you may need a striker who has good heading/jumping/ to switch things around every once in a while as Tevez/Rooney/Pandev aren't known for being dominant in the air.

Originally posted by -Only one Ronaldo-:

you could have gotten Huntelaar for less

I got him for 10mil once, then my game got corrupted...so i started a new game and Ajax wouldn't accept anything lower than 15 mill. I tried for 2 and a half month (started in June) then gave up trying to get him cheap. Annoyed me, but he repaid it.

@ Sanityfm, squad looks good but i would personally get a good epl left back to back up Evra.

Hi. I'm a new manager and apparently Man U has been screwing up every game. They either draw or lose and I've been having 4 game losing streaks quite often. I have no idea what's wrong with the team.

My team:

GK - Van Der Saar/Foster

DR - Neville

DL - Guilherme/Silvestre

DC - Vidic/Evans

DC - Ferdinand/Brown

MC - Carrick/Hargreaves

MC - Scholes/Fletcher/Anderson

AMR - Ronaldo

AML - Giggs/Nani

FC - Rooney

FC - Tevez/Saha

Originally posted by Ricardo Kaka':

How did you guys sign Bojan? I get bids accepted, but he always declines my contract offer.

When I opened negotiations with him, he wanted £34,000 a week but was only willing to talk if his squad status was either Indispensable, Important First Team Player or Squad Rotation. Anything else and he wasn't interested. I told him he's be Squad Rotation and offered £40,000 a week, plus a goal bonus of £10,000. He accepted icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by harold89:

Hi. I'm a new manager and apparently Man U has been screwing up every game. They either draw or lose and I've been having 4 game losing streaks quite often. I have no idea what's wrong with the team.

My team:

GK - Van Der Saar/Foster

DR - Neville

DL - Guilherme/Silvestre

DC - Vidic/Evans

DC - Ferdinand/Brown

MC - Carrick/Hargreaves

MC - Scholes/Fletcher/Anderson

AMR - Ronaldo

AML - Giggs/Nani

FC - Rooney

FC - Tevez/Saha

It might be your formation, 4-4-2 hasn't worked for me on FM08 even though I won everything with that formation on 07.

Early on I switched to a 4-4-1-1 with my squad with rooney as the main striker and tevez right behind. Then have your wingers push up with forward arrows so it's technically a 4-2-3-1. And don't forget to assign one of your center mids to help out the back four with a backwards arrow.

I'm just finishing my first season and have the title in the bag with four matches left to go. I won the league cup but got knocked out of the FA cup early on by Sunderland. I'm also in the Champions League finals against Chelsea.

Only buys I've made were Amauri from Palermo as striking cover and Miguel Veloso from Sporting. Both have been awesome signings for me. The only bad news is that Martin Gill decided to accept a n 8 million pound offer for Pique during the Jan. transfer window from Inter so I lost him! Damn you Gill!

Originally posted by Lung:

I would buy a backup for Evra, as you have sold Silvestre and O'shea. I'm guessing Saha is in your reserves?(as he isn't shown in the transfers out or the main squad). I would send 1 or 2 of the wingers you've signed on loan as you seem to have too many and sell Saha. I think you may need a striker who has good heading/jumping/ to switch things around every once in a while as Tevez/Rooney/Pandev aren't known for being dominant in the air.

Who should I have a look at for backup for Evra?

Yes, Saha is in my reserves, I'm trying to sell him atm, he should be gone soon.

I am going to send some of my younger players on loan for a season so that they get some 1st team experience.

Which other striker do you recommend? I've tried Huntelaar but he doesn't seem to do it for me.

Thanks for the feedback.

Originally posted by Adiee:

Freddy Kanoute! He's done well for me mate. If you fail to land him then i suggest Benni McCarthy.

Will have a look at these two when I get home from college later on.

Is Marcelo good enough to be Evra's backup?

Is Marcelo good enough to be Evra's backup?

Too good, might have to sell Evra (If any team offer for him, nego 40 mil over 24 months)

Worth it, improves finances, get Marcelo, and backup can be someone like Fabio? Sakho? Etc

Originally posted by henry21687hk:

does anyone successfully sign Bojan? Can tell me how? Im playing 3rd season now!!!!

Yep. Currently in February 2008, got Bojan AND Dos Santos coming in the summer.

Offered him £40k a week and Squad Rotation role. Plus £10k goal bonus. Bingo.

Thanks adiee. I agree they are very similar.

Looking for an extra striker thats all to help cover if injuries and rotation.

Definetly want Van der vaart, huntellaar or pandev, Belluschi and aritalo.

Going to need to sell to raise cash on top of budget

Your thoughts???

Who have you signed

no worries mate.

I signed Pandev myself to be honest. Although i am looking to offload him at the end of the season. I also signed Kanoute and Dani Alves from Sevilla. I brought in youngster Bruno Mezenga (sp) and then loaned him out to Antwerp for the season. Breno came in January and I have Alex, Lulinha, Dos Santos, Bojan and Benega all arriving in the summer (2008).

I sold Saha which enabled me to buy Kanoute, I actually sold him to Sevilla, so it was like a little swap!

You could sell Silvestre, Saha and Dong. Maybe Martin and Eagles too. Simpson, Gibson, Evans and pique are all very promising!

Start of season 3 report

Second season went really well. I won the quadrouple after first beating West Ham in the League Cup final, Arsenal in the F.A. Cup final, Milan in the Champions League final after an amazing match which ended 6-3, and winning the League with 17 points down to Chelsea.

Now I'm about to start my third season and as mentioned I wanted a clearout in the squad.

So out went Owen for 24.5 mio, Akinfeev for 29 (chairman accepted, but Foster is almost as good so I don't reaaly care) and Breno for 21.5 mio. Banega almost left too, as quite a few clubs bid 16+ mio, but he didn't want to leave although he isn't getting firstteam football icon_mad.gif

I haven't bought anyone so now my team looks like this: / = rotation, ( ) = reserve

GK: Foster (Edwards)

DR: Miguel Torres / Danny Simpson (Neville)

DL: Evra / Bale

DC: Vidic / Pique (Pearce)

DC: Evans / Ferdinand (Cathcart)

MR: Ronaldo / Eagles / Wijnaldum

ML: Nani / Lee Martin / Wijnaldum

MCd: Muamba / Hargreaves / Gibson

MCa: Anderson / Lulinha / Carrick

SC: Rooney / Saivet

SC: Tevez / Jovetic (Baxter)

And still with players like Hewson, Zeefuik, Brandy etc. pushing for a firstteam spot, my team is still too big.

I might cash in on Vidic, Carrick and Tevez soon.

Archived