FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished 1st season, was the EPL with 4 games remaining, but was knocked out of everything else fairly early. Im looking for a good LB and GK now because I sold both evra and Kusz for pretty good money. Who are some of your game changing transfers so far? Mine would have to be Quaresma. Made the team of the year and chipped in with 7 goals 20 assists.

My team going into the year

GK: VDS (sold Kuzs for 12.5)

LB: ? (sold evra for 45M)

CB: Ferdinand

CB: Brown

RB: Neville (hoping to get somebody)

MCD: Veloso

MC: Carrick(great last year)

MCA: Van der Vaart(not living up to hype)

AMR: Quaresma

AML: CRON

ST: Rooney

Bench

Tevez(lots of interest from other teams)

Hardgreaves

Pique

Anderson

Nani

Scholes

In

Van der Varrt :12.5m

Quaresma :27m

Breno :5m

Veloso :5m

Out

Vidic :35m(damn chairman)

Evra :45m

Kusz :12.5m

Ji-Sung :5m

Fletch :5m

Silv :3m

Gibson :1m(with 30 sell on clause)

Originally posted by Luke200046:

Just finished 1st season, was the EPL with 4 games remaining, but was knocked out of everything else fairly early. Im looking for a good LB and GK now because I sold both evra and Kusz for pretty good money. Who are some of your game changing transfers so far? Mine would have to be Quaresma. Made the team of the year and chipped in with 7 goals 20 assists.

My team going into the year

GK: VDS (sold Kuzs for 12.5)

LB: ? (sold evra for 45M)

CB: Ferdinand

CB: Brown

RB: Neville (hoping to get somebody)

MCD: Veloso

MC: Carrick(great last year)

MCA: Van der Vaart(not living up to hype)

AMR: Quaresma

AML: CRON

ST: Rooney

Bench

Tevez(lots of interest from other teams)

Hardgreaves

Pique

Anderson

Nani

Scholes

In

Van der Varrt :12.5m

Quaresma :27m

Breno :5m

Veloso :5m

Out

Vidic :35m(damn chairman)

Evra :45m

Kusz :12.5m

Ji-Sung :5m

Fletch :5m

Silv :3m

Gibson :1m(with 30 sell on clause)

I bought Zaccardo to replace Neville for around 10 mil in the 1st season. He's amazing, 1 of the best DRs in the game IMO.

You could try Marcelo for LB, he can play as a WBL ML & you can train him to be an AML.

Traore would make a good LB too.

If you have money to burn for a LB go for Chiellini maybe. He was great in the last game, looks pretty good on this years FM too

Akinfeev for around 10 mil, Ochoa is a good keeper also and you'll get him for only 5 mil or so, but he won't get a work permit so you'll have to move him to an affilite club for a season..

Originally posted by ssaun is cool:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MD-Ronaldo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nch:

Finances boosting from monthly installments from Barcelona through sales of Evra and Vidic (40 mil each)

How the hell did you sell just one of those players for 40 mil let alone 2.... icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's weird that it happens, but for some reason, if you put a transfer over 24 months, a club will accept almost any figure you can think of (Within sanity).. It great! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can also do this to but players. I have to pay Ajax over 24 months for Huntelaar as i didn't have enough cash remaining to sign him. As for selling, i found that if they are not on the transfers list, you could pretty much sell them from double to triple their value using 24 months payment. Tried and tested using this with Man U and PSV (got a big amount of cash selling players this way) and it worked. I gues it works cos the club pays over 2 years, so as the budget is only for the current year, they allow you to go over your current transfer budget.

I've finally got my Man Utd game going.

I wanted to keep most of the original squad to keep the game as realistic as possible, but in the end I couldn't resist buying Owen and Akinfeev as I thought I really needed a keeper and another striker.

Besides I've just bought some talented players, as I like to develop my players myself.

Transfers in season 1:

Owen, Michael - 9 mio

Akinfeev, Igor - 16.5 mio

Wijnaldum, Georginio - 275k

Baxter, Jose - 220k

Noble, Max - 275k

Saivet, Henri - 450k

Pearce, Krystian - 550k

Edwards, Preston - 50k

Banega, Ever - 2.5 mio

Zeefuik, Genero - 160k

Total: 31 mio

Transfers out season 1:

Fletcher, Darren - 13.5 mio

Dong Fangzhuo - 1.7 mio

Chester, James - 80k

Eckersley, Adam - 925k

Bardsley, Phillip - 2.2 mio

Total: 18.5 mio

Future transfers in:

Breno - 1.5 mio

Fabio - 1.2 mio

Lulinha - 2.5 mio

Rafael - 1.2 mio

So far so good. I won the Charity Shield after a 2-0 win against Chelsea with goals from Tevez and Giggs, and have now played 7 games in the league, won 5 and drawn 2 with a goalscore of 17-3.

In the Champions Cup i've been drawn with Benfica, Olympiakos and Schalke. Only played one game which was a 4-0 win against Schalke.

Unfortunately I've already been knocked out of the League Cup by Chelsea in 3rd round after they fielded their 1st team against my young guns which resulted in a 2-1 defeat.

Tevez has been on fire so far scoring 10 gooals in 9 matches and averaging 7.89.

Also Giggs has been the biggest surprise scoring 6 goals in 8 games so far.

Rooney and Tevez form a deadly partnership with Rooney making a lot of goals for Tevez and he has 6 assists and 3 goals from 9 games.

I would like him to score a bit more, though.

I'll update again later today icon_smile.gif

Oops, I forgot to add Stevan Jovetic to my transfers in.

I also forgot to add that I want to build my team up around english players, which is why I've tried to sign a few talented englishmen aswell. I've no experience in how they turn out, but my scouts say that they have a great deal of potential.

Just finished my first season with Utd! the most successful season of my managerial career!!

never sold anyone! and only bought Owen for 9 million and Saviet for 400k.

off 2 a good start winning the Charity Sheild!

Which started my amazing trophey filled season!

Won the premiership - without losing a game!

Won the Carling Cup - playing a mix of first teamers and youngsters.

FA Cup - Beat Villa in the final.

Champions League - Beat Inter , Roma, R.Madrid nd then Valencia 5-4 in the final! Rooney scoring all 5 goals!

amazing season icon_smile.gif

Quick reveiw of my season so far (first season).

Players in:

Micheal Owen (9m)

saviet (0.5m)

Breno (3 m)

Luilha (sp)

Barangena (sp) (2.5m)

Players out:

Fletcher (6.5m)

Silvestre (6.5m)

EPL - top and clear by about 12 points (in Feb I think, maybe March). Arsenal and Chelsea aren't doing too well - just above mid table.

FA Cup - knocked out in 6th round by Chelsea

Carling Cup - winners (arsenal in final, 2-1)

European Champions League - playing Inter Milan in the qtr's

Bit annoyed that Liverpool and Arsenal keep saying that they want to sign my best players (Ronaldo, Vidic, Rio) and the players say that 'it would be hard to turn down'. No way would they leave.

My strikeforce are currently Rooney, Tevez, Panev and Kanoute.

I've got Bojan coming in the summer. I'm looking to sell Pandev as, with the system i intend on using next season, he will not really be a regular. Kanoute has done OK - nothing special.

I'm thinking of off loading Kanoute and bringing in Owen for around £7m. He's English and would fit in my system perfectly.

Hey everybody! First, this is my first post ever.

I have joined this community to learn, and devolp as manager icon_biggrin.gif

---------------------------------

First of all, I will tell you something about my squad.

I am in March 2009, so I have played about 1½ season.

At my first season, I got rid of a lot of my 2nd team players, as I think they are just simply a waste, they wont ever play in my first team.

1. Season transfers, in millions.

OUT:

Carrick 4.5

Chris Eagles 2.9

Darron Gibson 5.5

Kieran Lee 2.1

Fraizer Campbell 2.1

Danny Simpson 2.7

Phillip Bardsley 1.9

And some minor transfers =

IN

Ever Banega 8.75, bought as backup to Owen Heargraves in my 4-4-2 diamond system. From Boca Juniors.

Rafinha 16, bought as long term replacement to Gary Neville. From Schalke FC.

Matias Fernandez 15.75, bought as long termreplacemnt for Giggs, as Nani didnt look like a proper replacement then. Bought from Villareal

All three =

First season I was

Second in premier league, to Chelsea icon_frown.gif

Out in the quarter finals in the league cup.

Won CHL over Internazionale icon_biggrin.gif

and The FA cup, so it was jolly good.

At the start of this season I bought some interesting players because I have earned really much money by winning so many tournament.

2. Season transfers, in millions.

OUT:

Darren Fletcher 6, just does not fit into my 442 diamond.

Gerard Pique, hmm.. that looks crazy, doesnt it. icon_wink.gif

Nemanja VIdic 23. One of the best CD in the game, why the **** do I want to sell him and Pique?

Thomas Kuszczak 6.25, former 1 keeper.

Ben Foster 5.5, former 3 keeper. Hmm only VDS back..

(Ever Banega og Louis Saha out on loan)

And some minor transfers

=

IN

Nicky Butt, could not say no when i could get him for 40.000 euro.

Javier Mascherano, free from liverpool. I personally thinks that this is one of the best transfers I have made, espacially becuase Owen Heargraeves has a tendency to get tired easily.

Micah Richards, 41. The TOP transfers, but he has played superb this season, has one 4/7 young player of the month awards. Is going to be a legend, eventhough he was from Man City.

Akinfeev, 23.5. Needed a new keaper, VDS is to old, and sold the other two. CSKA Moskva

Ronaldo, needed a backup attacker. Only on contract for one season (Loaned out Saha after signing Ronaldo) From AC Milano.

Current Squad (First team on the left, Backups to the right)

GK Akinfeev - Van Der Sar

RB Rafinha/Neville - John O'shea

LB Evra - Silvestre

CB Micah Richards - Wes Brown(First reserve)

CB Ferdinand - John O'shea

DMC Hargreaves - Mascherano, plays about the same amount of matches, BUT Owen is first choise

MR C. Ronaldo - Nani

ML Matias Fernandez - Nani - Giggs (Third reserve, plays him sometime for nostalgic reasons. icon_smile.gif

AMC Anderson/Scholes

FC Rooney - Ronaldo

FC Tevez - Ronaldo

So Actually have a quite good first team capable of winning the first division. But it is going to be close between me and Chelsea. Just while typing this i have a 3 point lead, 3 goals + goalscore, but they have play one match less than me. I am out of the FA cup, lost to Arsenal in the fifth round. I won the league cup. I am in the quarter finals in the CHL, Lyon was defeated in the 1/16 finals.

Some of my long time goals is to Replace Evra with Gareth Bale, I just prefer an english team with english players. But it is so hard to find good english nationals who does not play for Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. So if anyone could name some of the best english talents, Bale, Walcott and so on, I would be happy icon_smile.gif

One thing more.. shame one me, I bought a Liverpool player.. [puke]

Some of my long time goals is to Replace Evra with Gareth Bale, I just prefer an english team with english players. But it is so hard to find good english nationals who does not play for Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. So if anyone could name some of the best english talents, Bale, Walcott and so on, I would be happy icon_smile.gif

well if you were to sign Bale to up the english numbers in your squad you be dissapointed to see him being called up to wales squad......

It's winter and it's time for an update icon_smile.gif

Things are going very well. I'm top of the league with 17 wins, 4 draws and 1 defeat and a goalscore of 50-11.

F.A. Cup has been nice and easy too, and I'm giving my youngsters and reserves some fieldtime here.

Also Champions Cup looks great, as I've been drawn with Marseille in the first knock-out round.

Top performers are still Tevez, Rooney and Giggs while Scholes is catching up too.

My topscorer is Owen with 14 goals from 15(6) appearances. He doesn't do much but score goals hence his relative low rating (7.05).

My talents are starting to develop well, too.

Especially Jovetic is doing well and have scored 1 and made 2 assists in 2(2) appearances in the first team and averaging 7.25.

He's now worth 4.8 mio and still only 18.

Also Max Noble looks like a potential firstteamer with some great performances. To be honest he was the young player I expected the least of but he has put that to shame.

Will probably first report back when the season's finished icon_smile.gif

I'm getting in the habbit of forgetting something everytime I write in here icon_wink.gif

I've sold Saha for 6.5 mio to Juventus and Silvestre for 3.2 mio to Fiorentina to clear a little out in the squad.

And, I forgot to add before too, Zeefuik is touted as the next Nistelrooy while Jose Baxter is labelled the next Rooney \o/

Hi again everyone.

I finished my 1st season with United, and I have to say I was hugely disappointed.

Everything was going so well at christams, was only 3 points behind Arsenal. Anyway, I finished 3rd, a massive 13 points behind the eventual winners Chelsea (Arsenal were 2nd, same points as Chelsea, lost out on goal difference). Went out of the FA Cup in the semi-final to West Brom (west brom for christ sake), and lost in the CL final to Chelsea 4-2.

Just trying to sort out my squad for the new season, as soon as I have finalised my squad will post more details. Does anyone have a tactic that they have used with good success that they could post or send me? I used a 4-4-2 last season, but like I have said it failed really.

Thanks, Dave.

As Terry Tibbs would say "talk to me"

Giles Barnes is a superstar. I also went for Aiden McGeady from Celtic in my first game & he was outstanding.

Team at the moment is

GK - VDS (Lloris)

DR - Ignashevich - Neville is still injured

DL - Evra (Silvestre)

DC - Vidic (Ferdinand)

DC - Pique (O'Shea)

DMC - Banega (Carrick) Hargreaves still injured

MR - Ronaldo (Barnes, just purchased)

ML - Nani (Giggs)

AMC - Anderson (Scholes)

FC - Rooney

FC - Owen (Tevez)

Still working at it but league is played 4, won 3, drew one. +4 GD

Originally posted by Frankie 7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Krystian

Boca want 9.65million for Banega, How on earth you guys got him for 2.5million i do not know. Any good DMC's for 1.5million out there< 1st season, Jan transfer window. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha his value will rise after time

Originally posted by John Sugar:

Giles Barnes is a superstar.

How much did you pay for him? I'm thinking about purchasing him too. It's either him or keeping Eagles.

Anyway, my first season is over and it went really well I thought.

Finished the league 1st with 30 wins, 7 draws and 2 defeats and with a goalscore of 84-20.

I also won the F.A. Cup with a 2-1 win against Arsenal in the final.

In the Champions League however, I lost against Chelsea 0-1.

I'm very satisfied with my defence and I think it will only get better. Right now it's like this:

GK: Akinfeev / Van der Sar

DR: Neville / Brown / Simpson

DL: Evra / O'Shea

DC: Vidic / Pique / Breno

DC: Ferdinand / Evans / Breno

My leftback spot is the weakest link and I'm looking to purchase a great talent here as Fabio just doesn't look like a great defender - he's more of a wing. Also I need another RB at some point. Sergio Ramos would be great but he's probably too expensive. Miguel Torres anyone?

My midfield is doing great too:

MR: Ronaldo / Eagles

ML: Giggs / Nani

MCd: Hargreaves / Banega / Carrick

MCa: Scholes / Anderson / Carrick

I'm rotating these players a lot and I've retrained Anderso to be able to play the MR spot too.

I'm a bit split about my midfield, though. First my wings. Giggs is still great but he's getting old. Nani of course is great but then I don't have a backup. Should I sign someone or just wait and use Fabio / Wijnaldum / Lee Martin?

The MR spot too is a problem. As much as I'd like to keep Eagles as he's homegrown I just don't think he's cutting it. His stamina is horrible and there's no way he's able to play one full match. I'm looking into the possibility of replacing him with Giles Barnes.

Then there's the MC spot. Carrick doesn't get played a lot as my other options are just better. I'll probably offload him if not this year then the next. Any ideas how to play him?

Besides, Gibson looks great and he's playing better too.

Hargreaves is a great player, but I don't think he's among the best DMC's out there. I have Banega but he's more of a playmaking DMC so he's mainly used when I have to control a late game.

I'm think about Muamba. He looks amazing and already as good as Hargreaves only aged 20.

My strikeforce is great:

SC: Rooney / Jovetic

SC: Tevez / Owen

I've been rotating Rooney, Tevez and Owen as much as possible and they're just great whatever the combination.

No need to strenghten here, although a replacemenst for Owen must be had sooner or later.

I do have Saivet, Baxter, Zeefuik and Campbell coming through though, so there's probably no need buying anyone else.

Billy Sharp or Jamesn Vaughan looks great though!

So any suggestions?

End of 1st season update:

Just finished the season with a 4-1 thumping of Chelsea in the Champions League final. Won the Premier league by 17 points (best ever in 1st season) with chelsea 6th and Arsenal 8th.

Won the Carling Cup but lost in the 6th round of the FA Cup to Chelsea.

Team:

VDS\Foster

Neville\Brown\Simpson

Evra\O'shea

Ferdinand\Pique

Vidic\Evans\Breno

Ronaldo\Nani

Giggs\Nani

Carrick\Hargreaves\Banega

Scholes\Anderson

Rooney\Saha

Owen\Tevez

Scholes started slowly (injured a lot) and then become fantastic, as did Owen.

I'm trying to bring in another winger over the summer, looking at Ben Arfa or Quaresma. I'll wait and see how much money I have in the transfer kitty.

Finished season 1 and i won everything, with Fraizer Campbell scoring the clincher in the Champs League final!!! Huntelaar won player of the season, European Golden Boot, Fans Player of the Year and many other awards. He only played cos Rooney was gone for 5 months icon_mad.gif

Now in 2nd season and I just sold Kuszczak for 20 million pounds!!!! Can't believe I pulled it off. Selling VDS and i'm going to try Foster at no.2 ti a very expensive Craig Gordon.

Originally posted by marcben:

hi guys need a good back up gk for ustari, have plenty of money dont want to spend 20 mil on a back up tho

Why don't you use Ben Foster? He's great. Otherwise take a look at Preston Edwards - he looks like a great talent.

I'm so much regretting that I didn't buy Veloso when I had the opportunity. He's now moved to Atl. Madrid so he'll be hard to sign.

I think I'm gonna stick with my current midfield, only thinking about offloading Banega again sometime and bringing in Muamba.

Anyone has experiences with Bale? How much does it take to purchase him?

The way I play improves finances greatly!

61 mil in bank

400k under wage budget

I only bought in young stars, sold those older ones and reduced wage budget.

Bought in players like Banega, lulinha, random young stars and players like Moutinho taking place of Carrick and Emanuelson taking over Evra who left for 40 million etc

Board decided to expand stadium by 18000 seats and even raised the transfer budget without my asking.

Pretty cool!

One question - Should I renew contracts of Giggs, Scholes and Neville

Will renew Neville's most likely, maybe nearing the end in hope of lowering his squad status to rotation.

Scholes is alright but terrible in fitness same as Giggs who is slowly being replaced by nani.

I hope they will retire but will they if I do not renew their contracts?

Archived