[HELP] Trying to be better: What are the flaws in my tactics? Especially defensively ones.

So, I'm managing Basel, nice club, sleeping local giant. I'm trying to winning the league in three or four seasons. I don't think this game or fm23 or any fm is "too easy" because i don't like using match engine breaker tactics and buying cheap and crazy wonderkids from nowhere. I'm using my scouts, i'm watching matches and noting players and always looking up other leagues player stats. 

Anyway, that's not the point. Mind is superior to reason. I see this place as a WhatsApp group for coaches, we know they discuss tactical stuff. I think i need to improve my defensive play. 

First problem is, I give my opponent too many chances. Maybe this is because of my group of players, maybe it is my tactical approach. But c'mon, I have eleven men who can walk. So, i think the problem starts with me and my tactic. What do you think is the problem? 

Second problem, I'm having trouble keeping score. Match endings turn into hell. Pressure, pressure, pressure... I know i'm not managing an elite team but i think i don't need man. city for this, last match my opponent is non league Rapperswill. This pushed me to take responsibility. Rapperswil dominated us in the match ending. So, this is a huge problem.

I'm adding my tactic and my players. What do you think is the problem guys? Help me, your advices are too important for me. I hope I was able to explain my situation clearly. If you have any questions, I'm here to answer them. Last but not least, if you have any advice for attacking, these are not taxi doors, i'm all ears, i'm listening.

Last little note: I know playing with target forward and using low crosses a little bit weird but gauto is very short and dubasin isn't good in aerial duels. and i think players tend to be sending high balls to target forwards, so that's a minor problem i think. but i'll welcome any advices for this also.

Some photos: FCBasel1893_Overview.thumb.png.5a16f3a8796893b0a28cba117c3a621e.png

Basel Main.fmf

Edited by batsy23

• batsy23 changed the title to [HELP] Trying to be better: What are the flaws in my tactics? Especially defensively ones.

I would add prevent gk TI, higher line, maybe step up more, but most importantly much more often tirgger press which is super important, the anchor stuff i don't like it you can have a dm(S) or d and customise much better than a one dimensional role, make your right MEZZ (A) in support he is very useless in attacking the box, you already have an IWB so why put him on support ? make him attack the box the goals he will score and will be much better, i would also change if(A) to if(S) and wb to attack and i think you have a pretty strong tactic

The player roles look solid except for the MEZ-Su because he likes to drift outside and support the winger, which leaves the right offinsive half-space uncovered to often. I would try a more vertical role like BBM, CM-Su/At or vertical playmaker. But when using the vertical playmaker you should change the Ap-Su to a non-playmaker role.

Shorter passing and working the ball in the box might be a bit to much slow playing to pull opponents out of their positions and create spaces that you can attack. Try without work ball into box and see if it helps. That you have problems defending and soaking up pressure is probably because of your high line of engagement. Your first line is pressing high but the rest of your team is sitting deeper and your opponents has a lot of space between the lines once he got past your first pressind line. Othe approaches can work too but the general rule of thumb ist that the height of the defensive line should always be on the same height or a bit higher than the line of engagement to minimize the space between the lines.

9 dakika önce, avenger22 said:

I would add prevent gk TI, higher line, maybe step up more, but most importantly much more often tirgger press which is super important, the anchor stuff i don't like it you can have a dm(S) or d and customise much better than a one dimensional role, make your right MEZZ (A) in support he is very useless in attacking the box, you already have an IWB so why put him on support ? make him attack the box the goals he will score and will be much better, i would also change if(A) to if(S) and wb to attack and i think you have a pretty strong tactic

Thanks man, i think my tactics foundation is good but like what i said, i need some improvements. Triggering press and higher line makes sense. I'm using anchor because i always need a guy from there: I don't want to be caught in a counter attack with fewer players. Maybe dm with defensive duty is enough for this position? 

IW(S) and WB(A) is really good advice, thank you very much!

1 dakika önce, Maddux said:

The player roles look solid except for the MEZ-Su because he likes to drift outside and support the winger, which leaves the right offinsive half-space uncovered to often. I would try a more vertical role like BBM, CM-Su/At or vertical playmaker. But when using the vertical playmaker you should change the Ap-Su to a non-playmaker role.

Shorter passing and working the ball in the box might be a bit to much slow playing to pull opponents out of their positions and create spaces that you can attack. Try without work ball into box and see if it helps. That you have problems defending and soaking up pressure is probably because of your high line of engagement. Your first line is pressing high but the rest of your team is sitting deeper and your opponents has a lot of space between the lines once he got past your first pressind line. Othe approaches can work too but the general rule of thumb ist that the height of the defensive line should always be on the same height or a bit higher than the line of engagement to minimize the space between the lines.

Some good recommendations mate, thanks. Like @avenger22, you too suggest i move the defensive line forward. It makes sense. Maybe using cm with attack duty instead of mezzala works for me. The reason i'm using advanced playmaker and mezzala is i need two creator from the inside. two inside creator (mezzala & ap), two wing creator (wb left & winger right) and two finisher (left inside forward and target forward). 

Next match, i'll remove work ball into box and watch the full match with max speed.