The games intelligence.

To start, I enjoy the game, great way to pass the time and have played it for donkeys years now. 

However, I am getting a bit bored of the lack of intelligence, for example - just secured survival on the final day, won our last 3 games and the season summary is talking about our start being what kept us up (first 6 games we scored 1 point losing heavily in the others)

Press conference question "you have a chance of getting out the relegation zone if you win today" - we are 3 points behind but also 20 goals behind.. so no, we dont have a realistic chance. 

Press conference in 2024 - Notts Forest had a surprising defeat at Man City (Man City are champions, Forest are in relegation zone)

Hot topic- Arroyo set for reunion with Klopp... (Arroyo played zero games for Klopp)

I would love to see the game evolve, a little effort put in the intelligence instead of simple "If this then that" items that make no sense. 

Just wondering if others feel this way? (dont get me wrong like I say I enjoy the game just wish they did more with each edition)

6 hours ago, marcusnovius said:

To start, I enjoy the game, great way to pass the time and have played it for donkeys years now. 

However, I am getting a bit bored of the lack of intelligence, for example - just secured survival on the final day, won our last 3 games and the season summary is talking about our start being what kept us up (first 6 games we scored 1 point losing heavily in the others)

Press conference question "you have a chance of getting out the relegation zone if you win today" - we are 3 points behind but also 20 goals behind.. so no, we dont have a realistic chance. 

Press conference in 2024 - Notts Forest had a surprising defeat at Man City (Man City are champions, Forest are in relegation zone)

Hot topic- Arroyo set for reunion with Klopp... (Arroyo played zero games for Klopp)

I would love to see the game evolve, a little effort put in the intelligence instead of simple "If this then that" items that make no sense. 

Just wondering if others feel this way? (dont get me wrong like I say I enjoy the game just wish they did more with each edition)

Agreed, there's a lot currently in the game that could be progressed- think we've been stuck in holding pattern for some time. I usually send my assistant to them.

8 hours ago, marcusnovius said:

That's the issue with computers, they don't see the easily available context as we humans do. They need to be told EVERYTHING, unless we are looking at some sort of AI, but I wager that's a bit away from getting into games as of yet. The safeguarding needed to avoid people trying to manipulate the game to saying something bad would be immense! So while I agree in principle, it's not as easy as just adding "a little effort". For your specific case they could perhaps set some boundaries for goal differences when it's asked, but getting a software to natively understand that it's highly unlikely to overtake with that deficit is not that easy.

I do wish press conferences made just a bit more sense though. I mean what the hell is this?

Spoiler

afbeelding.png.5c6e7dc95d08e8ab9cd7599e493ea0ec.png

afbeelding.thumb.png.bbc68bc612ebc18c0123ff07c1963438.png

afbeelding.png.b366eaf57d40ebfad7e90316f4b90af8.png

Yeah, my striker better be giving a WINGER a run for his money when it comes to scoring goals! Especially a winger that scored 45 goals in 344 appearances and has 10 Finishing! How was this guy picked for a goal scoring comparison?

• 2 weeks later...

ive also had after losing a cup game "I expect you all to put in a much better performance than the last game" - even though ive named 11 different players, there needs to be more depth in the game to understand these things, same as the comment above about a striker being compared to an average winger! 

i agree with the earlier post- the game is in a holding pattern.... sometimes that thought makes it ok for me, its the same old game with a £30 data update each year...

In general, I would LOVE to see improvements in the conversations - perhaps an area where they could take advantage of ChatGPT like functionality?

The challenge with stuff like this is that SI have limited resources and the law of diminishing returns. It's not that SI don't want it to be better. It's that ultimately, they have a feature that works passably well, and the work required to take it to the next level isn't worth it. Or more specifically, they have not chosen to prioritize that work from a strategic roadmap perspective. 

I have no doubt that they are capable of cleaning up some of those issues and making the conversations better. But they can only spend so many developer hours on each version of the game. Whether they have discussed spending more time on it, we don't know. We DO know, though, that they have not elected to do so. And somewhere, someone is trying to decide what new features or enhancements will drive the most users to FM 25. If they upgrade the conversation stuff, will that make new users flock to the game? I think it's unlikely, but they likely have very detailed marketing data around stuff like this to base their decisions on.

Press conferences and a lot of "AI" stuff in general (staff recommendations) are badly programmed and should pretty much be ignored/delegated. I understand that it may be difficult to improve them. The problem with the latest FM iterations is that these areas have been given more prominence instead of less. For instance, you have to enter a dedicated menu for press conferences instead of being able to respond quickly in the inbox. Press conferences are much longer than necessary, leading to junk questions like transfer-listed players in lower divisions. They introduced staff meetings which you cannot opt out from. Bad areas should be recognized as such and be given less prominence until solutions are found.