Home Nations Youth Rating

I’ve spent thousands of hours in football manager dating all the way back to the champ man series. One of my biggest bug bears is that Scotland and the rest of the home nations (minus England) team’s youth rating is always so low.

Scotland – 82

NI – 79

Ireland – 83

Wales – 71

I don’t understand the logic behind this can someone clear it up?

Scotland has players in the following leagues:

English Premiership - 16

English Championship - 13

Scottish Premiership - 10

Seria A – 1

La Liga - 1

Saudi League - 1

Qualified for the 2020 Euro’s

Qualified for the 2024 Euro’s

Still has a chance of qualifying for 2026 world cup

Playing in division A of the UEFA Nations League.

Yet, North Korea has a better youth rating than Scotland.

Can someone please explain, how the following teams have higher youth ratings than the home nations?

North Korea – 84

Thailand - 86

New Zealand – 88

Jordan – 90

South Africa – 95

UAE - 97

Iraq – 103

Qatar – 105

Egypt - 125

Because Youth Rating is nowhere near the be all and end all of how youths are generated.  Even if you just take into account one more field - Game Importance - then that will push Scotland way above a lot of the nations you mentioned.  Scotland rarely has an issue generating decent quality youth players anyway, at least in my experience.

Youth rating is only one of many factors that determine newgen quality, not the most important one either.

It's probably in large part due to their low populations. They'll still produce good players since they have high everything else, but the youth ratings are kept low to ensure they only produce a few good players rather than tonnes of them. Plus they benefit from England's youth rating too. As far as I'm aware players will always be generated based on the youth rating of the team they're at, not their nationality. So any partially or fully Irish/Welsh/Scottish players that come through at English clubs use the English youth rating instead of the Irish/Welsh/Scottish one.