[FM24] Tongue Utd - Signing only players from the Scottish Highlands

Makoto Nakamura

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Makoto Nakamura said:

This surprised me, I always thought Loch Ness was more in the middle of nowhere. :lol:

It's never actually played by Loch Ness, except in my previous Careers story where I had a ground built in Drumnadrochit :p

They were a nomadic Inverness-based amateur side, but around (a bit before, I think) covid time they couldn't afford the rent for any of the Inverness pitches so went out to Fortrose to find a host. Then last year they won the North Caledonian League but were not eligible for the play-offs to the Highland League because they don't have their own ground.

Fortrose is not far from nowhere anyway ;)

6 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

It's never actually played by Loch Ness, except in my previous Careers story where I had a ground built in Drumnadrochit :p

They were a nomadic Inverness-based amateur side, but around (a bit before, I think) covid time they couldn't afford the rent for any of the Inverness pitches so went out to Fortrose to find a host. Then last year they won the North Caledonian League but were not eligible for the play-offs to the Highland League because they don't have their own ground.

Fortrose is not far from nowhere anyway ;)

Well hopefully one day Loch Ness can find her place in this world! :lol:

That's a shame with them missing out on promotion playoffs, would've been good to see them potentially in the Highland League.

25 minutes ago, Makoto Nakamura said:

Well hopefully one day Loch Ness can find her place in this world! :lol:

That's a shame with them missing out on promotion playoffs, would've been good to see them potentially in the Highland League.

Yeah. Historically, no team has ever won promotion from there to the Highland League, and only the notorious Fort William has been relegated. Quite the closed shop.

Congratulations on the promotion, by the way :hammer:

Edited by phnompenhandy

15 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

We're still hunting you down for the title!

I'm nicking your images of grounds for a future save, by the way!

Not so much now with two games remaining!

Go for it, that's fine by me! :D

6 minutes ago, krkyseventwo said:

Maryburgh is where I live. Nicknamed ‘The Gulsh’, big rivals with Avoch and are currently the champions of the Inverness Amateur Top Division. 

Plenty of boys I know are in the game so will be interesting if you sign any of them. I’ve also played on a few of the pitches you have posted - Dingwall, Fortrose and Blackrock.

You have a follower mate. 

Maryburgh are currently 9th in the Highland Division Two and are still in with a chance of relegation with a couple of games remaining. 

Very interesting, I'm hoping the promotion will give us a slight boost in rep and we'll be able to sign some better players in pre-season.

I'll be carrying on with the pitch pictures so you may see a few more pitches you've played at!

Thanks for following. :D 

28 minutes ago, krkyseventwo said:

Maryburgh is where I live. Nicknamed ‘The Gulsh’, big rivals with Avoch and are currently the champions of the Inverness Amateur Top Division. 

Plenty of boys I know are in the game so will be interesting if you sign any of them. I’ve also played on a few of the pitches you have posted - Dingwall, Fortrose and Blackrock.

You have a follower mate. 

Massive respect! I'm obsessed with Highland football. Hope you chip in with insights here (and maybe in my story too, managing Kirkwall Thorfinn) :ackter:

:thup: :thup: :thup:

1 hour ago, krkyseventwo said:

It’s funny I always run all players based in Scotland so I can keep an eye on where they end up if I ever get bored. The North Caledonian league has all the real players, but most of them play amateur football in the summer with some of the teams you are playing at the moment.

I’ve never heard of Tongue Utd though. The further north you go, my knowledge of teams and leagues gets worse.

Good Luck!

Well the North Caledonian League is 4 tiers above where we currently are but hopefully it won't take us too long to reach that level! :D 

27/4/24 - Highland Amateur Division Three

Matchday 22

(1st) Tongue United vs Dingwall Victoria United (3rd)

53bf04f634346dec3b6a443f1a3de618.jpg

a1c115057c5206831b202f4121d239ee.png

eb758e090cc58101d4b762598c08e7b8.png

3f19891aa25b55b5def48ef767e3dd0a.png

37bc42178e2c71e6757e58ea099cd7f3.jpg

dd706699481d71a9ec1fceca7cfefcd4.jpg

15d8f3d764d07e02ab76a0c87e5c6d27.jpg

We get our lap of honour. :D 

42c386695e52eb9ae48f8cde07295ba8.jpg

A blooming annoying end to the season.

b0f10b1ab6a3af068fd2a05e8dc6bc57.png

Have to feel for Dingwall Vics though! They miss out on promotion due to a 10 man Fortrose scoring a 91st minute winner against 2nd placed Kirkwall Thorfinn!

Hey @Makoto NakamuraOnly just seen this and haven't even skimmed through the thread yet but.....

I was looking at a Scotland save last night/this morning and I downloaded the Scotland Lower Leagues edited database, (by Rcqq), and I was all set to start this morning with a L13 start, until I realised that although the Amateur leagues were connected to the other Amateur leagues, they weren't connected to the rest of the Scottish Pyramid. 

Hopefully you know this and have found a workaround but just in case. 

Tongue Utd are in the Highland Amateur Division Three and there is promotion from that league to the Highland Amateur Division Two.

08507aa7003f1e877b39f8d7593ea179.png

Once you are in the Highland Amateur Division Two there is also promotion again to the Highland Amateur Division One.

e0b16f86da85dfbc7cb40b94cdf2d173.png

Once you are in the Highland Amateur Division One there is again promotion to the Highland Amateur League.

115ee71dd1e05090fb6e6211e5c8baf8.png

Once you are in the Highland Amateur League (Premier Division), there doesn't seem to be promotion from there. 

8e92b205548da8d7dff5dec41e41f60b.png

Have you resolved this and if so how? (Because I started in Scotland this morning, but saw this and opted instead for the lowest playable league that is connected to the full pyramid, (which is the West of Scotland 4th Div, (which is the 10th tier I think). Fingers crossed you know all this and either have a different database, (in case which one is it please?), or have an alternative workaround. 

1 hour ago, KristianT said:

The hair of Adam Skinner is pretty damn impressive.

Part of the reason I signed him!

2 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Hey @Makoto NakamuraOnly just seen this and haven't even skimmed through the thread yet but.....

I was looking at a Scotland save last night/this morning and I downloaded the Scotland Lower Leagues edited database, (by Rcqq), and I was all set to start this morning with a L13 start, until I realised that although the Amateur leagues were connected to the other Amateur leagues, they weren't connected to the rest of the Scottish Pyramid. 

Tongue Utd are in the Highland Amateur Division Three and there is promotion from that league to the Highland Amateur Division Two.

Once you are in the Highland Amateur Division Two there is also promotion again to the Highland Amateur Division One.

Once you are in the Highland Amateur Division One there is again promotion to the Highland Amateur League.

Once you are in the Highland Amateur League (Premier Division), there doesn't seem to be promotion from there. 

Have you resolved this and if so how? (Because I started in Scotland this morning, but saw this and opted instead for the lowest playable league that is connected to the full pyramid, (which is the West of Scotland 4th Div, (which is the 10th tier I think). Fingers crossed you know all this and either have a different database, (in case which one is it please?), or have an alternative workaround. 

So from the 2nd season there's a playoff between the amateur leagues to get promoted into the main leagues. I'll have another look when I get home but pretty sure this was the case in a test holiday.

Just now, Makoto Nakamura said:

Part of the reason I signed him!

So from the 2nd season there's a playoff between the amateur leagues to get promoted into the main leagues. I'll have another look when I get home but pretty sure this was the case in a test holiday.

I suspected that you wouldn't miss it. 

Thank you. (This now means I have to start again though). :lol: :applause:

18 hours ago, Makoto Nakamura said:

2023/24 Youth Candidates

00293a2ae561de4742d8438c1b925b72.png

Of the players, Scott Wood, Mitchell Docherty, David Russell, Derek Munro, Steven Rostock & Calum Porritt will be signing a contract, the rest will be released.

If it's not a silly question, what do you base your decision on to sign/release players at this stage of the save? 

I take it individual attributes that will hopefully make a difference? 

I would have found it impossible not to sign (YP1k) Stewart (Perfect). 

Oh.... they have to be born in the Highlands don't they! Anything else? (I'm guessing just based on filling gaps in the squad) 

46 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I customised that database because I had a lot of problems with it. It doesn't set out lines of progression clearly and misses chunks of leagues to view in 'Leagues in Focus', but as MN notes, there is a play-off to get out of that league.

Just now, phnompenhandy said:

I customised that database because I had a lot of problems with it. It doesn't set out lines of progression clearly and misses chunks of leagues to view in 'Leagues in Focus', but as MN notes, there is a play-off to get out of that league.

I'm in the middle of running a 2 year holiday now to see what's what. If I have to pick a 3rd side from your league then so be it, but I'm in! :lol: (minus the great landscape views). 

Hope that's all been sorted now then! 

2d1c9b0482f622af28cece47ddd64ba0.png

One thing which @Jimbokav1971 & @phnompenhandy may find interesting, maybe even some others as well! Using this database I've mapped out everywhere that's classed as Highlands & Islands, as you can see there are two which definitely aren't in the Scottish Highlands, they are Oban & Tarbert, I have nobody from Tarbert but I have one 0.5* player from Oban, who will now be released.

3 minutes ago, Makoto Nakamura said:

two which definitely aren't in the Scottish Highlands, they are Oban & Tarbert, I have nobody from Tarbert but I have one 0.5* player from Oban, who will now be released.

Be aware that's the Tarbert in Argyll. There's another Tarbert in Harris, Western Isles.

2/10/24 - Highland Amateur Cup Second Round

(9th Highland Amateur League) Stornoway Athletic FC vs Tongue United (1st Highland Amateur Division Two)

4b94e45919094eafec60d54e17206b46.jpg

An actual pitch with a stand!

e44d2e66d1e817fdbdb4645b97a54601.png

2fb169fac59aeb9c2422f9118e86aff6.png

f73f5fcb4b88ce2cbee52de8d09eb273.jpg

25080023448d365c15aada09f40d4485.jpg

They are two divisions ahead of us but it's still disappointing not to have won this game when we matched them.