The Manchester United thread 2005/06 - Way Past It's Sell-By Date

Nick OGS20

• Replies 46.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Fergie in fine form in his press conference on SSN atm icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Summary for those of us who aren't layabout students?

Some of us have to be layabout employees instead, you know. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surprisingly open with the press for him. Spoke at length about Blackburn, responding to Sparky's comments yesterday. Said Sparky 'could' be a great manager, but needs to calm down, stop contesting every decision etc.

Said he thought Liverpool could beat Chelsea at the weekend - referred to their awful pitch as "even worse than ours", to which a press guy joked "they've not got any mice though", leading Fergie to say "aye, there's a few rats down there though" \o/

Said you have to keep hoping Chelsea implode, he's seen it happen, it's happened to us. "and if it can happen to a great club like Manchester United, it can happen to a..... less great club like Chelsea" \o/

Slipped in a sly dig at fat Freddie Shepherd about sacking Souness by phone as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

This isn't even remotely related to the current discussion but have we ever had a German play for our first team? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We've had Herr E. Toplip play rightback for the last decade icon14.gif

/0\

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

This isn't even remotely related to the current discussion but have we ever had a German play for our first team? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We've had Herr E. Toplip play rightback for the last decade icon14.gif

/0\ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Christ /o\

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Fergie in fine form in his press conference on SSN atm icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Summary for those of us who aren't layabout students?

Some of us have to be layabout employees instead, you know. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surprisingly open with the press for him. Spoke at length about Blackburn, responding to Sparky's comments yesterday. Said Sparky 'could' be a great manager, but needs to calm down, stop contesting every decision etc.

Said he thought Liverpool could beat Chelsea at the weekend - referred to their awful pitch as "even worse than ours", to which a press guy joked "they've not got any mice though", leading Fergie to say "aye, there's a few rats down there though" \o/

Said you have to keep hoping Chelsea implode, he's seen it happen, it's happened to us. "and if it can happen to a great club like Manchester United, it can happen to a..... less great club like Chelsea" \o/

Slipped in a sly dig at fat Freddie Shepherd about sacking Souness by phone as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah, forgot probably the most relevant bit - he was asked about Obi Mikel, said we're still waiting to hear from FIFA and he was quite perplexed that they've not come to a decision yet despite the courts finding in our favour. Said he's been watching him in the ACN and that he's "some player, a fantastic talent". Still very hopeful that he'll end up playing for us - said that he still believes he wants to play for Manchester United.

I didn't think it merited this abuse icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you've got off lightly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Well, I've questioned the unending praise. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

GET OFF HIS BACK icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Have you? I only remember Baronsamong and Taz slating him without ever seeing him, and then a hefty amount of giddygiddygiddygiddy after that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When was that then? Feel free to point it out.

In fact if you got things right you would realise while i did have bad things to say about Park they were after playing games in pre season in which he was ****. I also said while crap its what he does during the season that he will be judged on.

Doesn't look like it. Though we do have someone who was born in the Atlantic Ocean!

Just be thankful I didn't go with my original "much like Fabien Barthez, we've had no herrs" icon14.gif

Tbf, I should have just gone with what I originally typed - "nope, although there's Neumayr and Zieler coming through the ranks" icon_frown.gif

Just be thankful I didn't go with my original "much like Fabien Barthez, we've had no herrs" icon14.gif

Tbf, I should have just gone with what I originally typed - "nope, although there's Neumayr and Zieler coming through the ranks" icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's why I said the first team.

So that's why didn't go for Ballack then /o\ Seems we are still bitter about the war in our little part of Manchester icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Doesn't look like it. Though we do have someone who was born in the Atlantic Ocean! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Silvestre? No, Easter Island is in the Pacific iirc.

Tbf, I should have just gone with what I originally typed - "nope, although there's Neumayr and Zieler coming through the ranks" icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So that's why didn't go for Ballack then /o\ Seems we are still bitter about the war in our little part of Manchester icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We did. Don't believe the b*llocks fergie came out with, we pulled out through a combination of his wage demands and the fact that he'd rather go to Madrid anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryno:

Where's Scatter and the round-up? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's only started, so I wouldn't expect it until he's sorted the wheat (most of my posts) from the chaff (30-odd pages of us v the Scouse 'hilarity')

So that's why didn't go for Ballack then /o\ Seems we are still bitter about the war in our little part of Manchester icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We did. Don't believe the b*llocks fergie came out with, we pulled out through a combination of his wage demands and the fact that he'd rather go to Madrid anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I meant thats why we didn't sign him. Either way I was joking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

He's only started, so I wouldn't expect it until he's sorted the wheat (most of my posts) from the chaff (30-odd pages of us v the Scouse 'hilarity') </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have actually gone half a page with most of the talk about United and not a single post from a scouser. Amazing.

We did. Don't believe the b*llocks fergie came out with, we pulled out through a combination of his wage demands and the fact that he'd rather go to Madrid anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I meant thats why we didn't sign him. Either way I was joking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I realised you probably were after i'd posted. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">AndyPolack

Warning - Offensive Post - Expires 21/02/06 - K

I knew you were really a Manc!

There's absolutely no doubt it was a penalty. Wes' hands were deliberately behind his back, he held them there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

see, i disagree yet am still undecided about the penalty if that makes sense.

players often put their hands behind their backs to prevent penalty decisions. you see it all the time - especially when a defender is chesting the ball. for a handball freekick/penalty to be given the ref has to be sure that the contact was deliberate, i'm not sure you can say that about the penalty decision - he was putting his hands behind his back to (presumably) keep them out of the way and got caught off balance by a mis-hit cross. there was certainly no need to play at it if he did, there wasn't an attacking player within fifteen yards of him.

mongy commentators don't help, as soon as they see it strike the arm it's "OOHHHH MUST BE A PENALTY!" as i said earlier, if that's a stonewall penalty, then we should have had one at the other end when lucas neill did something very similar...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

How dare anyone have an unfair bias against a young midfielder, eh Taz? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah i know and while my Fletcher bashing was OTT at times(Done OTT on purpose) i still had people argue i was wrong and Scatter and Argel are wrong here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

mate, i didn't argue against your point of him being our best midfielder on the day - he was. but the fact still remains that he was **** poor for the first hour. continuously caught in possession, out of position, and giving the ball away/wasting crossing opportunities. the fact that he started to come good when we started our comeback probably isn't a coincidence. but bar that twenty minute spell, he was really quite average.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Have you? I only remember Baronsamong and Taz slating him without ever seeing him, and then a hefty amount of giddygiddygiddygiddy after that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When was that then? Feel free to point it out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he doesn't need to tbh. i recall it quite clearly. pre-season, after just 45 minutes you declared him not good enough for united. check the early pages in the thread if you like... icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Nick are you definitely on booze buying duty for tomorrow? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, I'll probably go buy it shortly, save having to go via Tesco tomorrow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

see, i disagree yet am still undecided about the penalty if that makes sense.

players often put their hands behind their backs to prevent penalty decisions. you see it all the time - especially when a defender is chesting the ball. for a handball freekick/penalty to be given the ref has to be sure that the contact was deliberate, i'm not sure you can say that about the penalty decision - he was putting his hands behind his back to (presumably) keep them out of the way and got caught off balance by a mis-hit cross. there was certainly no need to play at it if he did, there wasn't an attacking player within fifteen yards of him.

mongy commentators don't help, as soon as they see it strike the arm it's "OOHHHH MUST BE A PENALTY!" as i said earlier, if that's a stonewall penalty, then we should have had one at the other end when lucas neill did something very similar...

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Put yourself in the refs position (thinking about what they should do, not what they actually do on occasions, i'll admit).

You've got a defender, his arms are not where they would be naturally, i.e he has intent for them to be where they are. They block the ball. I don't see how you can not give that. He was holding them behind himself deliberately, and the player was far enough away that he had the chance to pull them out of the way. I don't think he even attempted to pull them away from what i remember.

i don't think the commentators comment is relevant, as the ref can't hear them you know icon_wink.gif

I'm sorry, i can't comment on the Neill one. Was it on MOTD (I know you don't know, but someone might icon_biggrin.gif), because i only saw the highlights but i really don't remember it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Saha reveals injury "shame"

Louis Saha has admitted he felt "ashamed" to face his Manchester United team-mates during his long-running injury crisis.

After exploding onto the Old Trafford scene with six goals in his first eight games following his £12.8million move from Fulham two years ago, Saha has been plagued by fitness problems.

"It was a mental torture," he told the Manchester Evening News. "There was guilt and embarrassment. You are kind of ashamed about the situation. You start wondering what other players are saying about you."

Initially, he was sidelined by an Achilles injury, then he aggravated a knee problem on international duty and the start of the current campaign was wrecked by a strained hamstring.

So frequent were Saha's absences, one fanzine cruelly dubbed the 27-year-old 'Man of Glass'.

Those taunts only contributed to the striker's dark moods and although he has now emerged from his nightmare in thrilling style, he admits he struggled to look his United team-mates in the eye at times.

He added: "Instead of just accepting it as bad luck and getting on with the treatment and looking forward, I was looking back too much.

"I was always thinking I had done something to bring it on. I analysed everything so closely. But that was wrong, it just got me very down."

There was a strong suggestion Saha might even be sacrificed by Sir Alex Ferguson during last month's transfer window as the United boss looked to beef up his squad.

Yet, with the player's fitness improving, Ferguson revealed selling Saha was never an option. "I never thought about letting Louis go, not at all," said the Scot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Speaking of Ronaldo, he's been banned for one CL game, though it's hardly relevant right now /o\ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So should we now be aiming for third so it's a qualifier rather than a group game he misses? icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Saha reveals injury "shame"

Louis Saha has admitted he felt "ashamed" to face his Manchester United team-mates during his long-running injury crisis.

After exploding onto the Old Trafford scene with six goals in his first eight games following his £12.8million move from Fulham two years ago, Saha has been plagued by fitness problems.

"It was a mental torture," he told the Manchester Evening News. "There was guilt and embarrassment. You are kind of ashamed about the situation. You start wondering what other players are saying about you."

Initially, he was sidelined by an Achilles injury, then he aggravated a knee problem on international duty and the start of the current campaign was wrecked by a strained hamstring.

So frequent were Saha's absences, one fanzine cruelly dubbed the 27-year-old 'Man of Glass'.

Those taunts only contributed to the striker's dark moods and although he has now emerged from his nightmare in thrilling style, he admits he struggled to look his United team-mates in the eye at times.

He added: "Instead of just accepting it as bad luck and getting on with the treatment and looking forward, I was looking back too much.

"I was always thinking I had done something to bring it on. I analysed everything so closely. But that was wrong, it just got me very down."

There was a strong suggestion Saha might even be sacrificed by Sir Alex Ferguson during last month's transfer window as the United boss looked to beef up his squad.

Yet, with the player's fitness improving, Ferguson revealed selling Saha was never an option. "I never thought about letting Louis go, not at all," said the Scot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Balsa > Glass icon_biggrin.gif

Speaking of Ronaldo, he's been banned for one CL game, though it's hardly relevant right now /o\ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So should we now be aiming for third so it's a qualifier rather than a group game he misses? icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, we're better off without him ofc icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> [36] Official site on new quadrants

Thursday, February 2, 2006

'United supporters attending Saturday's game against Fulham will see it for themselves: the expansion of England's biggest club stadium continues apace.

Construction work on Old Trafford's new North-East and North-West quadrants is going so well that club officials and building contractors Laing O'Rourke are confident fans will use parts of the new stands before the end of this season.

United's project manager Gary Hebblewhite says the club is delighted with the progress, especially as building work has had to be stopped - and a clean-up job done - before each and every home match during 2005/06.

"With a development like this spectator and visitor safety is paramount," says Gary.

Workers stand on the terracing where some of the new seats will be installed. To the right, they can see the pitch through a temporary screen.

"But with our experience of expanding other areas of the stadium over the past decade we believe that there has been very little disruption on match days.

"There've been times when we've had a lot of home games in a short space of time but we've got a procedure in place that we feel has been a real success and we've managed to maintain the capacity."

Gary says fans will begin to notice changes inside OT during the next stage of the project, the internal fit-out.

"You can see the impact of the development externally but the real impact will come when we remove the gables between the North and East, and the North and West stands," he says.

"This will create a bowl effect, which is when fans will see the sheer scale of the development. I anticipate that being by the end of February."

As with previous developments at the stadium, supporters could be allowed into sections of the new stands earlier than the official opening. Birmingham in March has been mooted by the press but Gary insists it’s far too early to suggest a date.

"With any major development you've got to make sure that all the life-safety systems are working as they should do," he says.

"That means emergency lighting systems, fire alarm systems, exit gates, turnstiles and so on require testing.

"At this stage we allow stewards and other members of our matchday safety team to review the new areas. Only when these exercises have been done will we consider opening the new areas for spectator use.

"We've done this on all our major developments and we will be looking for opportunities to use these areas prior to next season." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That'll be interesting icon14.gif

Archived