The Manchester United thread 2005/06 - Way Past It's Sell-By Date

Nick OGS20

• Replies 46.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

VDS 8 - did all expected and did it well.

G.Nev 8 - Got forward well down the right

Silvestre 6.5 - Shaky first half, made some good blocks.

Rio 7 - Defended well

Wes 9 - Immense, showed Vidic he won't just walk into the side.

Ronaldo 5 - No end product, let Cygan off the hook

Giggs 6 - Not the best of games from Ryan

Fletcher 8 - Impressed me throughout, without Wes was my MOM

O'Shea 7 - Did alright to be fair, can't criticise him

Rooney 7 - His usual self, but nothing conclusive.

Ruud 7 - Nice general play but finishing wasn't there oddly.

Park 7 - Put some nice corners in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ronaldo 5 yet rooney 7? icon_eek.gif

rooney didn't do much at all imo

oh, except that backheel tackle on henry which was ffffffffb icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe I was being harsh on Ronaldo, he just annoys me so much these days icon_frown.gif

Probably because we've seen what he can do and when he turns it on he's brilliant. Problem is for the rest of the time he's just horrible to watch. Whenever we get a free kick and he's play you just know it's going in row Z.

Rooney I thought was decent, and frankly didn't do much wrong, even if he wasn't mega creative.

It's things like the free kick at the end that Ronaldo skied, the 4 awful crosses in two mins that irk me, and make me put his rating down. Not so much the chance before half time, that can happen to anybody.

[/rant over] icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

fletcher - had a brilliant game and im starting to get excited about this kid, he's young and he's no doubt improving. people had the right to criticise him before because he was maybe too inexperienced/not ready for 1st team action but he's starting to look the part. alongside a top class centre mid i think fletch could go far. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One thing about Fletch that people don't mention enough in my opinion is that he's 21 and he missed pretty much two years with injury in his late teens which surely has to be taken into account. He's spent half his United career being played in a position that he himself says is alien to him, and people expect him to play like Roy Keane.

I'm hopefully that as you say, hopefully he'll continue to progress in the manner he is now and become a cracking midfielder icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Also, just looking at the Actim stats on the Premier League website, how the hell is John O'Shea the 10th best player in the league this season? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do they work that one out? icon_confused.gif

I think the problem with Fletcher is that we can't really afford to take him out put him in throughout the season. If we had more quality central midfielders we could bring him on during games rather than starting him.

Speaking of central midfielders, Fergie better get a move on in bringing in some during the January window.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Has Richardson had a runout in central midfield since he returned from West Brom? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nope

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Also, just looking at the Actim stats on the Premier League website, how the hell is John O'Shea the 10th best player in the league this season? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do they work that one out? icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe they knonw something we don't? icon_confused.gif

Any the match was sh!te really, I felt that we were a bit over defensive at times, and Park should have been introduced way earlier. Extremely p!ssed at inconsistency and wasteful playing by Ronaldo, but I'll keep him in the first team - you never know when he might just conjure up some magic that settles the game.

All in all, not a good game, I was expecting a win, given that Man U without Keane >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Arse without Vieira

Just had a read through of the match thread. Dissapointed with the lack of any ***** icon13.gif

Anywho, I'd like to echo gonch's thoughts on Reyes...

reyes is a dirty cheating insufferable c*nt of the worst kind, who dishes it out and then runs to mummy when he gets given it back.

there i said it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i know what you mean about ronaldo but to be fair to him he does get in the positions. hopefully that side of his game will improve. though i wish he wouldnt go anywhere near our corners and free kicks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Watching his Roberto Carlos style run-up, I was thinking..."No please don't try that...oh dear"

One thing about Fletch that people don't mention enough in my opinion is that he's 21 and he missed pretty much two years with injury in his late teens which surely has to be taken into account. He's spent half his United career being played in a position that he himself says is alien to him, and people expect him to play like Roy Keane.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's an extremely good point. With good players, people tend to think that good players were always good, and sometimes you forget that real life is not like CM when players have a fixed set of stats and are the same player from age 21-30.

Who remembers what Frank Lampard was like at 21 and playing for West Ham? Not a bad player at all, but nowhere near the level he's at now? Same for most midfielders to be honest. Gerrard was extremely highly-rated as a youngster, but he's 10 times better now than at 21 and if you watched an old game you'd see how many crap passes he used to make.

I was re-reading Keano's autobiography last night and he said he used to watch old United games on MUTV and was shocked how ordinary he was when he first joined the club in matches where he thought he had played well. If players' memories are clouded by time and subsequent improvement, it's the same for fans too. Fletcher still has time on his side and will still become an excellent player, even if he's not the future midfield lynchpin.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I'm confident and INSIST we'll win.

Last time I said that was before Chelsea.

trust in me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Hello Taz. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that some kind of put down that i'm not smart enough to get? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i could call you a taxi and you wouldn't be smart enough to get it...

Has Richardson had a runout in central midfield since he returned from West Brom? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nope </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He did in at least one Carling Cup game

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

So BBB's prediction did not come true icon_biggrin.gif

did anyone put a bet on in his good faith </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If anyone placed a bet following Martin's prediction then they are officially the stupidest user ever!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

So BBB's prediction did not come true icon_biggrin.gif

did anyone put a bet on in his good faith </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just, for a brief moment that terrified me to my very soul, imagined BBB done up like John McCririck telling everyone to "GET ON" United for 3-0 icon_frown.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan Goodwin:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

Really looking forward to the Cup game. I went to school near Burton. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, where abouts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used to live in Burton... Goodwin Street... was a bit of a dump there really. But was a fun 2 years of my life of getting drunk every night

Was pleased with the 0-0 to a point last night. We did't lose and we didn't lay down and get lucky.

Wes Brown iffffb. And the same with Feltcher as well. Didn't stop running, broke up play. Although I see even that isn't good enough for some people icon_wink.gif

Have always been in the pro Fletch group.

Fletcher did OK last night, but no better than that. He was the best of a very average midfield. In the first half especially, we sat far too deep, didn't get challenges in, and invited Arsenal onto us. It was a dangerous game to play. In the second half we were better in midfield, but even with creating more chances, we never had control there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Le Monégasque Patrice Evra pourrait être prochainement transféré à Manchester United, selon L'Equipe du 4 janvier. Désireux de quitter le club de la Principauté, le défenseur international a été écarté du groupe qui rencontrera Auxerre, jeudi, pour le compte de la 20e journée de Ligue 1.

Contraint de s'entraîner à l'écart de ses coéquipiers, Patrice Evra patiente en attendant que sa situation se débloque. Le joueur, qui avait manifesté son désir de changer d'air en manquant le reprise après la courte trêve hivernale, devrait être rapidement fixé sur son avenir. «L'expérience m'a enseigné qu'on ne retient pas un joueur contre son gré», a expliqué le directeur sportif de l'ASM, Jean-Luc Etorri qui a discuté du cas Evra avec le vice-président en charge du recrutement, Gérard Bianti.

Intéressé par un recrutement en juin prochain, l'Inter Millan pourrait se faire doubler par Manchester United. Les dirigeants anglais ont déjà proposé six millions d'euros pour enrôler l'international tricolore. Jugée insuffisante, la première offre pourrait être suivie d'une seconde s'élevant à huit millions d'euros. Une somme que les dirigeants monégasques ne pourraient refuser. Patrice Evra doit rencontrer Gérard Bianti ce mercredi pour faire évoluer son dossier. Le joueur espère voir son départ effectif avant la fin de cette semaine.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

=

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

The Monaco player Patrice Evra could soon be transferred to Manchester United, according to the Equipe today. Wanting to leave the Principality club, the international defender has been left out of the squad due to play Auxerre on Thursday.

(The next bit I'm unclear about, but I think it might mean that he was not allowed or didn't train with his team mates), Evra is patiently waiting for his situation to clear up. The player, ought to be focusing on his future. " experience has taught me that they never keep a player against his will", explained the Sporting Director Jean-Luc Etorri who discussed the Evra matter with the Vice President of "recruitment", Gerard Bianti.

Inter's efforts to sign him in June may be thwarted by United. The English Team has already offered six million euros to sign the French International. The first offer was considered too low and followed by a second one of eight million euros. This is a sum that Monaco could not refuse. Patrice Evra has to meet with Gerard Bianti this Wednesday in order to "evaluate his dossier" (not sure how to translate that). The player hopes his transfer will have happened by the end of this week.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So 7.2mill on Vidic + 5millish on Evra. I hope there is money left for a midfielder.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

I'm guessing we'd recoup quite a bit with the sale of Silvestre. I can't see us keeping him if we get both a centre back and a left back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hope so, its bizarre were bringing in 2 defenders when we have far greater porblems creating goals than we do stopping them.

maybe fergie thinks rio is the answer to our midfield woes icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

I'm guessing we'd recoup quite a bit with the sale of Silvestre. I can't see us keeping him if we get both a centre back and a left back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hope so, its bizarre were bringing in 2 defenders when we have far greater porblems creating goals than we do stopping them.

maybe fergie thinks rio is the answer to our midfield woes icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not like we don't need a new left back while Heinze is out. Silvestre is the best of a bad lot, but there really is no decent backup. I think the other point is, from what i've read, Evra is pacy and a decent attacking threat, which is the type of fullback we need to give us the sort of threat from the left we get from Gary Neville on the right. We do have a lot of games where the full backs are our main outlet. I think that's one of the reasons we've tried Richardson there at times.

But having said all that, as everyone else has said, as long as it doesn't stop us getting a midfielder.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

No point getting Evra when we have Gaby ffs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heinze plays left wing, eh? No? Well Evra does.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

Heinze plays left wing, eh? No? Well Evra does. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even so lets get another person who can play left wing when we have another 5 players at the club who can do that, how about buying a ****ing midfielder ffs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

Heinze plays left wing, eh? No? Well Evra does. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes but we have Park, Giggs, Ronnie who can play there.

We have much more pressing positions to be covered atm

• Administrators

Evra's not gonna pull up any trees going forward, it's like asking Derek Horno to do it - he'll try hard and maybe sling in a decent cross now and then but he'll largely be ineffective.

Better left back, slightly overhyped because of Monaco's CL Final appearance (like Rothen/Morientes and some others, found out to not be so good when they left).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Evra's not gonna pull up any trees going forward, it's like asking Derek Horno to do it - he'll try hard and maybe sling in a decent cross now and then but he'll largely be ineffective.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you mean used as a winger, or going forward from full back?

Heinze plays left wing, eh? No? Well Evra does. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes but we have Park, Giggs, Ronnie who can play there.

We have much more pressing positions to be covered atm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, we do and you're preaching to the choir on that score. I don't think there's a point to buying Vidic either.

Would it not make more sense to sign an actual left winger rather than a player who more than likely won't play regularly for us for more than 6months?

It makes less sense engaging in this transfer than signing Vidic in my eyes to be honest. Now, I'm starting to come around to the idea of signing the Serbian (even though WBifb & we've got Pique coming through), but Gaby is going to be back next season & I'd personally rather see Spector play as his reserve when he comes back from Charlton at the end of the season than us spend £4-5mill on Evra.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

Would it not make more sense to sign an actual left winger rather than a player who more than likely won't play regularly for us for more than 6months?

It makes less sense engaging in this transfer than signing Vidic in my eyes to be honest. Now, I'm starting to come around to the idea of signing the Serbian (even though WBifb & we've got Pique coming through), but Gaby is going to be back next season & I'd personally rather see Spector play as his reserve when he comes back from Charlton at the end of the season than us spend £4-5mill on Evra. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Noone who plays on the left for us atm can lay claim to being any good.

Ronaldo - far far far too inconsistent

Giggs - far far far too old

Park - far far far too sh*t in front of goal (but ffffffffffffffffffb)

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd personally rather see Spector play as his reserve when he comes back from Charlton </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That seems to me to be one of your problems - a willingness to persist with players who aren't actually good enough. I'm not sure Spector's ever going to be a competent backup for a team with your aims and demands, maybe at a mid table Prem team but you've got to be looking above and beyond that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

It makes less sense engaging in this transfer than signing Vidic in my eyes to be honest. Now, I'm starting to come around to the idea of signing the Serbian (even though WBifb & we've got Pique coming through), but Gaby is going to be back next season & I'd personally rather see Spector play as his reserve when he comes back from Charlton at the end of the season than us spend £4-5mill on Evra. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Noone who plays on the left for us atm can lay claim to being any good.

Ronaldo - far far far too inconsistent

Giggs - far far far too old

Park - far far far too sh*t in front of goal (but ffffffffffffffffffb) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So it makes sense to spend money on a full-back just for the sake of having another left footed player who would only merit turning out on the left of midfield purely because he apparently has pace?

I'd rather see Richardson given a few run outs on the left of midfield between now and the end of the season than us spend money on Evra.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Cartman:

Spector made Trevor Sinclair look World Class a few weeks ago when we beat them 5-2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dont think he started but he came on in the 2nd half iirc

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deanb291186:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Cartman:

Spector made Trevor Sinclair look World Class a few weeks ago when we beat them 5-2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dont think he started but he came on in the 2nd half iirc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Played the entire game

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deanb291186:

Dont think he started but he came on in the 2nd half iirc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Played the entire game </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I stand corrected

Archived