how to train new positions

18 hours ago, CAE82 said:

You can select a position/role in training (assuming they have at least some familiarity with that position) but you really just need to give them game time in the new position and they'll pick it up eventually.

Players don't need any familiarity, you can train a player as anything you want. Only thing you can't do is train an outfield player as a GK and vice versa.

Depending on their versatility they can get pretty high positional familiarity from just training in a specific position, but match time in their new position is more efficient.

Edited by Freakiie

17 hours ago, Andrewcrawford131 said:

is this possible i know i could do it in classic fm but nto sure it here

If you want him to learn a new position, train him in that position. How quickly he learns that position depends on his hidden attribute versatility.

I’m currently training 2 players for new positions. One who’s a striker but his stats suggest he can play as a shadow striker and training another who’s a wingback has a left midfield winger. My striker has gone from awkward as SS to competent. The wingback only just started so it’ll be a few more games before he gets used to it. 

Edited by Wizard boy

I have trained Khephren Thuram as a defensive winger, and he's now 3 stars in that position (if you take any notice of the stars) and was the best player in terms of average rating for the season.

As long as you give them plenty of game time in that position/role then they will quickly adapt.

Edited by sedge11

On 28/11/2023 at 11:17, Rashidi said:

If you want him to learn a new position, train him in that position. How quickly he learns that position depends on his hidden attribute versatility.

I'm thinking this was a typo? :confused:

You can train a player in a new position, but but it won't have any impact on his familiarity at all. It will just train his attributes that are suitable for the pre-set for that position. 

You can play a player in a new position and this will improve his familiarity. 

Training a player in a new position will have no impact on his familiarity in that position. 

Playing a player in a new position will impact his familiarity and depending on his hidden versatility attribute he will improve his familiarity. 

I am assuming he is referring to training a player in a new position. Perhaps should have made it clear at the outset. Plus there is a positional, duty, and role familiarity component for training a player in any position. If a player already knows the position there is no impact to positional familiarity, if a player has never played the position before then his lack of positional familiarity will lead to mistakes. How quickly he learns said positon depends on versatility. Pretty easy to verify in game with the existing UI.

1 hour ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I'm thinking this was a typo? :confused:

You can train a player in a new position, but but it won't have any impact on his familiarity at all. It will just train his attributes that are suitable for the pre-set for that position. 

You can play a player in a new position and this will improve his familiarity. 

Training a player in a new position will have no impact on his familiarity in that position. 

Playing a player in a new position will impact his familiarity and depending on his hidden versatility attribute he will improve his familiarity. 

Training not affecting positional familiarity would be completely new to me and the complete opposite of what my memory tells me my experiences with FM have been over the years. It's nowhere near as effective as actually playing a player in a position, but I'm 99% certain I've trained players to have at least very basic positional familiarity in a new position before ever playing them in said position.

1 minute ago, Freakiie said:

Training not affecting positional familiarity would be completely new to me and the complete opposite of what my memory tells me my experiences with FM have been over the years. It's nowhere near as effective as actually playing a player in a position, but I'm 99% certain I've trained players to have at least very basic positional familiarity in a new position before ever playing them in said position.

Try it and report back. :thup:

In fact I will do it. 

(32n) Pérez. (Bal) is the lowest ranked player by CA at my club. I've already decided I'm not offering him a new contract so he will be leaving on a free when his contract expires in Dec 2035. It's Sep 2034 so there are still 15 months to test this. 

186be93b2c391a097694646575c7ad37.png

This is what his training looked like before. 

48fabf1082ab0f2346705b8159297558.png

And this is what I'm changing it to. 

156235a46dcd0c6792bf9d266451e440.png

2fdf015be126f72e229eab08c674d888.png

I will report back once a month until he leaves. 

21 hours ago, Freakiie said:

I was wrong and you were right. 

It's 1st Dec now and this is the player in question. 

111a95190665d5cb5a77dbdb490b7ab9.png

We don't play with DR's so the only way he can have gained familiarity with this is by training. I really didn't think this was the case but I was wrong. :thup:

c3fa6711c299afbebe8d4d741c682e2f.png

20 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I was wrong and you were right. 

It's 1st Dec now and this is the player in question. 

111a95190665d5cb5a77dbdb490b7ab9.png

We don't play with DR's so the only way he can have gained familiarity with this is by training. I really didn't think this was the case but I was wrong. :thup:

c3fa6711c299afbebe8d4d741c682e2f.png

Thanks for the test! Good to know it wasn't my memory abandoning me. :lol: