Basque Regens

Istorian

Hi everyone. I am currently in the process of making a separate 3 league system for the Basque Country, making it independent, giving it a national team, integrating its clubs in European competitions, etc.

I have noticed a weird thing about regens, and after many hours playing around the pre-game editor I cannot seem to fix it so I'll ask here in case anyone knows: No matter where I set up the local regions of the cities in the database, or how I change the languages of the regions, the regens all end up coming with Spanish and French nationality still, with Pays Basque as 2nd nationality (even though Pays Basque is now set up as an independent nation and they should only get this as first nationality). There are very few, maybe 2 or 3, regens throughout all Basque clubs that pop up every season with just Basque nationality, so the game realizes that this can happen now, but the vast majority of them still come up wrong.

Just to explain my test process, I set up a test league with 10 teams and for each team I gave a different combination of nations/cities/local regions to see the effects. Every single time the regens of all 10 teams were just a mix of Spanish and French (because the teams I picked are form the French Basque region). The only noticeable change was for one team, one regen only was Brazilian, and for that team I had set it to be based on a city that had "Brazil" as nation. No other effects unfortunately.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this? I'd love to get it working so I can release the files to the community and let you play around as well!

P.S. I'm attaching the db file to see all the tests I did (check the teams in the Euskal Herriko Iparralde competition). I'd appreciate any info on this! :)

Local Region Test.fmf

Edited by Istorian
Added db file

After even more testing, where I removed all cities and regions except for a newly created one and still failed to produce Basque-only regens, my current theory is that it is either hardcoded in the game or the settings of the database are overwritten by a dbc/xml file somewhere. I tried a bit but couldn't figure out whether the latter is true, mainly because I don't know how to open .dbc files.

One potential workaround is to swap "Pays Basque" with a different nation (that isn't hardcoded) and just rename everything but it sounds like a lot more work. Does anyone know whether the Basque regens are actually hardcoded to be Spanish/French or not?

Just to say if you swap for another nation then the regen names will come from the name pool of the country you choose. Andorra for instance has that hard coded so when I tried to use it for my Cornwall DB it created Spanish names that just didn’t work and I had to restart.

i was looking at building a Basque nation similar to yours and had run some very quick tests and don’t remember the regens not being Basque first nationality, though I could be wrong. I know I’ve read somewhere there is a way to change the regen’s nationality but cannot remember the detail, I’ll see if I can find it.

Just out of interest how many clubs do you have in your setup?

Thanks for the response! I hope you're right, I'd really appreciate it if you could find out as you said.

You're right regarding the names being hard-coded for some nations, that's something I didn't think of.

I also took a look at your Cornwall database to see what you're doing differently and I can see that all regens have Cornish main nationality. The difference between our two databases is that in yours, the cities don't have any local regions attached to them, but even when I remove them in mine, I still get the same results.

The way I've set it up I have the first two divisions with 20 teams each and then a third division split into 8 regional groups with 10 teams each, for a total of 140 clubs. I might decide, however, to split the third division into 4 groups of 20 or 5 groups of 16 at a later update.

By the way, did you happen to keep any of the database files from your Basque tests where the regens are working correctly?

7 minutes ago, Istorian said:

Thanks for the response! I hope you're right, I'd really appreciate it if you could find out as you said.

You're right regarding the names being hard-coded for some nations, that's something I didn't think of.

I also took a look at your Cornwall database to see what you're doing differently and I can see that all regens have Cornish main nationality. The difference between our two databases is that in yours, the cities don't have any local regions attached to them, but even when I remove them in mine, I still get the same results.

The way I've set it up I have the first two divisions with 20 teams each and then a third division split into 8 regional groups with 10 teams each, for a total of 140 clubs. I might decide, however, to split the third division into 4 groups of 20 or 5 groups of 16 at a later update.

By the way, did you happen to keep any of the database files from your Basque tests where the regens are working correctly?

I definitely have the files, let me just double check it was creating players with Basque as their first nationality and if it was I’ll post them. I’m thinking with the troubles you’ve had then maybe I just didn’t look hard enough as that wasn’t the main focus of my test.

I was going to say Regions can be weird but saw you had tested without so it’s got to be hard coded. I did have a quick look and couldn’t see anything but it may be saved in my laptops browser history so will look at that shortly and let you know.

Your structure sounds awesome, I was thinking about something far more simple 😀.

I see, thanks for the article! :)

I have some updates; I managed to get everyone a first nationality of Argentina with a second nationality of Spain, by moving all cities to Argentina and local regions to Spain. This at least proves it is not hard-coded!

However, moving the cities back to Basque Country breaks this. I am assuming this is because the Basque Country is not supposed to exist in the game, and therefore is somehow treated differently by the game in this instance, although I am testing a couple more things like nation rankings etc before I go to sleep.

5 hours ago, Istorian said:

I see, thanks for the article! :)

I have some updates; I managed to get everyone a first nationality of Argentina with a second nationality of Spain, by moving all cities to Argentina and local regions to Spain. This at least proves it is not hard-coded!

However, moving the cities back to Basque Country breaks this. I am assuming this is because the Basque Country is not supposed to exist in the game, and therefore is somehow treated differently by the game in this instance, although I am testing a couple more things like nation rankings etc before I go to sleep.

Sounds like you might have to create a nation completely but that might introduce some other issues….

10 hours ago, RenatoDonarinho said:

Just to say if you swap for another nation then the regen names will come from the name pool of the country you choose. Andorra for instance has that hard coded so when I tried to use it for my Cornwall DB it created Spanish names that just didn’t work and I had to restart.

i was looking at building a Basque nation similar to yours and had run some very quick tests and don’t remember the regens not being Basque first nationality, though I could be wrong. I know I’ve read somewhere there is a way to change the regen’s nationality but cannot remember the detail, I’ll see if I can find it.

Just out of interest how many clubs do you have in your setup?

Some nations do appear to have a blank namelist and it can be manipulated by adding 100+ people (including 85+ year old referees). Andorra is not one, they likely have their namelist hard-coded to account for the Catalan influence. One of the extinct nations with the otherwise blank namelist might work for moving all the Basque stuff over

Edited by themodelcitizen