[FM24] African Football League

x African Football League.fmf

The 23/24 version is largely the same as the default competition, just changed to a 1 leg final and a 3rd place playoff has been added. In 24/25 it changes to the proposed 24 team version with 3 groups of 8 (teams play everyone in their own group 2x and 2 teams in each of the other group for 18 games total) with the top 8 progressing to the QFs. Has 2 champions per year, the top team on the overall league table and the winner of the knockout cup. Expands to 28 teams and then finally 32 teams by 2030. Number of games mostly unchanged, although a knockout playoff round has been added before the QFs for potentially 2 extra matches. The 4 group winners should go straight into the QFs.

I've also made a handful of smaller (14 team) African league files to go alongside the AFL. Schedules will still be packed, but the reduced league sizes make it more manageable. Probably less busy than Brazilian schedules still! Also added League Cups for each nation which ignore the AFL teams to give the other teams a few extra games per season. All leagues include at least 2 divisions, some 3. More leagues to follow.

African Leagues:

20231119220717_1.thumb.jpg.7f0f549b8564e66f0a68080bf2ec1916.jpg

20231119220720_1.thumb.jpg.b2dd8b553f82bf0b7a965db8a966f173.jpg

20231119220724_1.thumb.jpg.ba654f64e4fa2faa04a25e5f85a7937c.jpg

Edited by rusty217

3 minutes ago, anitamui said:

How to qualify for the competition?

Do well in the African Champions League.

The best performing teams in the African Champions League, that aren't already in the AFL, are added to the relegation playoff. If they finish in the top 1 or 2 (depending on season) places in their 3 team group they'll qualify for the next season's AFL. Conversely, the teams that finish in the bottom 1/2 of their group will also be in the relegation playoff and if they don't finish in the top places they'll be relegated.

Should also mention the Champions League has had the Group Stage removed to limit fixture congestion and the final now takes place in January (needs to be finished in time for the AFL relegation playoff draw).

Edited by rusty217

7 hours ago, Fire0Fart said:

Did you separate groups by region? I see that groups aren't like they are supposed to be in the actual competition.

Yes, the IRL one is supposed to be the same "24 teams divided into three regionalized groups (North, Central/West, South/East)".

Switches to North, West, East and South once it moves to a 4 group model. Some teams are likely to be in different groups than expected though, eg. Egyptian teams often end up in the West/East groups due to the North group already being full.

5 hours ago, Fire0Fart said:

Can you use "ignore teams" option so that teams in AFL don't play in the champions league?

Technically you could. But then the Champions League would have significantly fewer teams and would need to be completely reworked to account for the fact that it could have 50+ teams in some seasons and only 20ish in others. It would also make AFL teams incapable of qualifying for the Club World Championship.

9 hours ago, rusty217 said:

Technically you could. But then the Champions League would have significantly fewer teams and would need to be completely reworked to account for the fact that it could have 50+ teams in some seasons and only 20ish in others. It would also make AFL teams incapable of qualifying for the Club World Championship.

Wouldn't it just take the next best teams from the league? For example, Al Ahly and Zamalek are playing AFL and finish in top 2 spots of the league so it would take the third and fourth best team?

21 minutes ago, Fire0Fart said:

Wouldn't it just take the next best teams from the league? For example, Al Ahly and Zamalek are playing AFL and finish in top 2 spots of the league so it would take the third and fourth best team?

It uses the teams that qualified, not just the best teams in the league. In that example Al Ahly and Zamalek would still be the teams that qualified so ignoring AFL teams would just mean the Champions League would have 2 less teams.

32 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

It uses the teams that qualified, not just the best teams in the league. In that example Al Ahly and Zamalek would still be the teams that qualified so ignoring AFL teams would just mean the Champions League would have 2 less teams.

Oh it makes sense, I get it now. We're you think about making this for other continents? Like east/west for Asia etc?

Edited by Fire0Fart

43 minutes ago, Fire0Fart said:

Oh it makes sense, I get it now. We're you think about making this for other continents? Like east/west for Asia etc?

Not really, only did it for Africa due to the real life version of it. Might do something for Oceania due to the planned OFC Professional League, but there's not much information about the format etc. and TBH I'm not too interested in playing in Oceania either.

5 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

Not really, only did it for Africa due to the real life version of it. Might do something for Oceania due to the planned OFC Professional League, but there's not much information about the format etc. and TBH I'm not too interested in playing in Oceania either.

Well, too bad. I was thinking about creating it so do you have any advice? For Europe I was thinking maybe 3 tiers, I'd it doable?

1 minute ago, Fire0Fart said:

Well, too bad. I was thinking about creating it so do you have any advice? For Europe I was thinking maybe 3 tiers, I'd it doable?

It's definitely doable, a fair bit of work though. If you want to do it in a similar way (ie. as a continental competition rather than putting all the clubs in the same nation and making a domestic superleague) it requires a bit more work. Unlike regular leagues the teams don't stay in it every year or relegate/promote properly, you have to do it all manually. So you have to add qualification rules to qualify all the teams that finish above the relegation places for the next year's version of the competition. Look at the Nations League for something similar that does it the same way.

On 01/12/2023 at 14:47, rusty217 said:

It's definitely doable, a fair bit of work though. If you want to do it in a similar way (ie. as a continental competition rather than putting all the clubs in the same nation and making a domestic superleague) it requires a bit more work. Unlike regular leagues the teams don't stay in it every year or relegate/promote properly, you have to do it all manually. So you have to add qualification rules to qualify all the teams that finish above the relegation places for the next year's version of the competition. Look at the Nations League for something similar that does it the same way.

I never thought about looking at Nations league but it's pretty much this but with nations. Thanks for the info but except more questions eventually haha.

• 3 months later...