Russia/Ukraine in FM 24

Hi everyone.

What happened to the Russian League clubs, Russia National Team and club/nation Ukraine in FM 24? Do they start the game out of european competitions but do come back at certain point? Or are they simple banned forever?

1 hour ago, Tsuru said:

Hi everyone.

What happened to the Russian League clubs, Russia National Team and club/nation Ukraine in FM 24? Do they start the game out of european competitions but do come back at certain point? Or are they simple banned forever?

Banned forever as in real life. If the Russians ever see sense and become a civilised country FIFA/UEFA will unban them and they'll become unbanned in game. Unfortunately not likely with the current maniac in charge

37 minutes ago, jim owen said:

Banned forever as in real life. If the Russians ever see sense and become a civilised country FIFA/UEFA will unban them and they'll become unbanned in game. Unfortunately not likely with the current maniac in charge

I'm not going to get political in here but don't believe everything you read in the mainstream media. 

• 1 month later...

It would be nice if SI gave the players the opportunity to decide for themselves whether Russia will return to Europe or not. And do not leave the process one-sided, referring to Western media. As if in 2050 Russia will still be at war with Ukraine.

9 hours ago, AlKha96 said:

It would be nice if SI gave the players the opportunity to decide for themselves whether Russia will return to Europe or not. And do not leave the process one-sided, referring to Western media. As if in 2050 Russia will still be at war with Ukraine.

As said before, SI follow what FIFA/UEFA set, and currently they have Russia banned without an end date, so that is mirrored in the game. As soon as that changes in real life, I think SI will reflect it in the game.

I can just imagine it.  The game boots up, and despite there being a real-world decision that Russia's actions mean they can't participate in competition, some people actually want SI to consciously put a tick-box that basically asks "here, know how Russia aren't technically allowed because they were bad, would you like to effectively ignore that and pretend like they're not actively attacking a neighbour?"

Like, can these people not understand how ridiculous that sounds?

3 hours ago, XaW said:

As said before, SI follow what FIFA/UEFA set, and currently they have Russia banned without an end date, so that is mirrored in the game. As soon as that changes in real life, I think SI will reflect it in the game.

Silly argument against what he said though imo, by that logic EU should never expand in game.

I know it's not your call of course, and don't get me wrong, Russia deserves the book thrown at them in real life for their behavior, still personally waiting for them to >actually< be banned from the Winter Olympics, but it is silly that it never comes back in game and that you need a database to have a more realistic, more competitive, and more fun Europe.

11 hours ago, CrowManager said:

Silly argument against what he said though imo, by that logic EU should never expand in game.

I know it's not your call of course, and don't get me wrong, Russia deserves the book thrown at them in real life for their behavior, still personally waiting for them to >actually< be banned from the Winter Olympics, but it is silly that it never comes back in game and that you need a database to have a more realistic, more competitive, and more fun Europe.

Not quite as silly as arguing that something that isn't the case right now, and has no real date by which it will be the case, would be more realistic than...realism.

11 hours ago, CrowManager said:

But at what point does SI draw the line then? The random dissolvement of a nation? War and conquering of other states? I mean, there has to be some limit, and SI have said they will follow real life bans, and per now Russia is banned without an end date in football by FIFA and UEFA. Setting an artificial end date is nowhere near realistic either, so adding it doesn't improve the realism you want. So what argument can one have to include Russia in competitions they are banned from? I would love for Russia to end their war in Ukraine for a number of reason, but I will admit Russia being back as normal in FM is pretty low on that list, even if it's there, as I have had fun saves there before.

There is an easy way for Russia to eventually be included back into the normal world, but for now, it doesn't seem the leadership there is willing to do so...

1 hour ago, XaW said:

But at what point does SI draw the line then? The random dissolvement of a nation? War and conquering of other states? I mean, there has to be some limit, and SI have said they will follow real life bans, and per now Russia is banned without an end date in football by FIFA and UEFA. Setting an artificial end date is nowhere near realistic either, so adding it doesn't improve the realism you want. So what argument can one have to include Russia in competitions they are banned from? I would love for Russia to end their war in Ukraine for a number of reason, but I will admit Russia being back as normal in FM is pretty low on that list, even if it's there, as I have had fun saves there before.

There is an easy way for Russia to eventually be included back into the normal world, but for now, it doesn't seem the leadership there is willing to do so...

Never said it needs an artificial random date, can it not be set to trigger on some random date within a 10 year time or something? Can't say I've played many saves as I typically do one, but I assumed the additions to the EU were randomized to an extent.

Also really don't understand where your logic is on the first part? Games have had this stuff before, Brexit choosing between hard and soft, the aforementioned EU additions. The "real life ban" is almost certainly just going to continue until the war is over, then they'll return, or god forbid FIFA lets them qualify in Asia before the war is over. But yeah lol to act like "the return of a nation back to being allowed to qualify" is some unprecedented event is silly. 

6 hours ago, \&#x27;Appy \&#x27;Ammer said:

Playing devil's advocate here... SI provided an option to remove Brexit in the editor. So there is a precedent set for moving away from reality. 

Considering there are workshop files that both allow Russia back into Europe and football in general, as well as them joining the Asian part, the game allows for Russia to be back in as well...

6 hours ago, CrowManager said:

Never said it needs an artificial random date, can it not be set to trigger on some random date within a 10 year time or something? Can't say I've played many saves as I typically do one, but I assumed the additions to the EU were randomized to an extent.

Also really don't understand where your logic is on the first part? Games have had this stuff before, Brexit choosing between hard and soft, the aforementioned EU additions. The "real life ban" is almost certainly just going to continue until the war is over, then they'll return, or god forbid FIFA lets them qualify in Asia before the war is over. But yeah lol to act like "the return of a nation back to being allowed to qualify" is some unprecedented event is silly. 

"It doesn't need to be an artificial random date, but trigger it on a random date within 10 years" is kinda oxymoronic isn't it? The additions to EU isn't random, I think, but set based on what is expected as far as I know, not that I follow the process enough to know for sure. I looked it up to know what I'm talking about and this article says that many of the Western Balkan countries have all applied to join EU. Based on me skimming through that briefly, I'd say the odds of them joining is rather high, so I guess that's why they are added in game.

But that is different from a country actively being banned by FIFA and UEFA. Should they also randomly change drug bans because they might get overturned at a later point if the case is waiting for CAS to review it? I think there is a difference between smaller geopolitical happenings that have minor effects on the game, compared to overturning FIFA/UEFA bans...

I mean it's probably unrealistic for Russia to be banned forever. If I were an SI employee I would set a date sometime in the future where a message says "The Russian invasion of Ukraine is over, the bans are overturned" and randomize that to a reasonable extent. It's extremely unrealistic for a nation to be banned forever from playing internationally.

Errrr... One country has just been charged of genocide at the Hague but is still in FM. Another is a global super power notorious for invading resource-rich countries every few years...

Does SI need to wait for FIFA to do the right thing?

On 17/11/2023 at 17:44, SPE3D said:

I'm not going to get political in here but don't believe everything you read in the mainstream media. 

I know what is really important in life: The life itself and not the greed of power of politicians. Think about this.

Edited by Tom 99

10 hours ago, SilentSparrow18 said:

I mean it's probably unrealistic for Russia to be banned forever. If I were an SI employee I would set a date sometime in the future where a message says "The Russian invasion of Ukraine is over, the bans are overturned" and randomize that to a reasonable extent. It's extremely unrealistic for a nation to be banned forever from playing internationally.

Yeah, that's the way.  Then when that imaginary future date comes and people are still dying in the region, I'm sure SI won't get any criticism whatsoever for making an arbitrary choice.  And I expect if they do, they'll just let them off because some people complained that the game modelling reality wasn't realistic.

9 hours ago, phd_angel said:

Errrr... One country has just been charged of genocide at the Hague but is still in FM. Another is a global super power notorious for invading resource-rich countries every few years...

Does SI need to wait for FIFA to do the right thing?

...well, yeah.  FM is modelling football, FIFA is in charge of football.  If FIFA ban them, FM will too.  

5 hours ago, X0X0 said:

Its FIFA going to ban Israel too, i wonder?

Who knows, but this is not a topic for GD. If you want to discuss this, then please head to OTF.

6 hours ago, XaW said:

Who knows, but this is not a topic for GD. If you want to discuss this, then please head to OTF.

Of course Israel is not facing a ban because there is no political pressure to do so.

I agree this thread is only going to end in acrimony, and should be moved or locked before it turns into ill informed world politics.

Edited by Kickballz

• XaW locked this topic