Football Manager 2024 Official Feedback Thread

8 hours ago, chris72 said:

does anyone else feel like the game is scripted? like the result is already made before the game has even kicked off 

7 hours ago, alian62 said:

The game is scripted but it's what you do as a manager in the game that changes the results . Tactics , shouts , substitutions etc 

I could be wrong though but that's what I've read in the past

No, the game is not scripted. Here is what SI have said about it:

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Litmanen 10 said:

It's been a long time since I played FM the last time. This year, it also took me a long time to start playing the game properly. 

I have only managed about 10 games in total throughout the whole version, but I have to say that I like it, especially when I found a season 03/04 retro database. I think the last version I played was FM 20, and the newer one is a real upgrade. especially in terms of the match engine. I like the fact that the game is creating a lot of turnovers in the midfield and the variety of goals is huge compared to the older versions of the game that often seemed to have a few scenarios that kept repeating themselves. 

I used to put a lot of effort into reporting big issues within the match engine when I was doing beta testing in the past. Back then, most of my reports were ignored, but I would like to think that at least some of them have now made a difference as the game seems now much more football-like than the versions a few years ago, where Harry Kane was completing 80+ pass attempt and playing 5+ key passes per game as a centre forward. 

Still early days, but really enjoying this one so far. 

There's lots to like, the new animations are great. Very-life like and hopefully keep improving in their direction. 

Edited by whatsupdoc

1 hour ago, XaW said:

No, the game is not scripted. Here is what SI have said about it:

It's not "scripted" in a sense that there is nothing you can do about it, but it also isn't the case that everything is decided in real time. However, since you can replay the same match without touching anything, and you will get different outcomes, it also means that there is a random element to it, a random seed that is used in calculations.

On the other hand, a "script" is also the word to use in a different meaning - every time something happens, it does look like it's not natural, but instead the game picks a pre-determined script to execute in that moment (out of a selection of thousands)? More like a "scenario" than a script, and I think this is visible after you play a lot of matches that some virtually identical pieces of play start repeating.

But does the game decide in advance that you will win or lose and nothing you do can change it? No, in that sense I do not believe it is "scripted", it does respond to user input. You are essentially fighting against that random seed, but who is to say that's not how life works in general? :D 

10 hours ago, chris72 said:

does anyone else feel like the game is scripted? like the result is already made before the game has even kicked off 

If the game was really that scripted save-scumming would be ineffective as the outcomes would already have been decided.

Start of game - pkm generated by the ME holding details for full match

45 mins - neither you or AI make a half-time change so match visualiser continues to show original pkm

60 mins - you make a sub.  New pkm generated for minutes 60 to 90

65 mins - AI makes tactical change and substitutions. New pkm generated for minutes 65-90

70 mins - You make a tactical change to counter the AI. New pkm generated for minutes 70 -90.

It's possible that relative team strength, morale, complacency and match pressure can make a general result almost inevitable, but that's not the same as scripting the outcomes.

Edited by rp1966

The main annoyance in the ME so far for me is corner kicks. Defenders often seem to win the first ball, but at least in my matches the clearances are almost always weak and the ball doesn't even leave the penalty area after the initial clearance. Also more often than not, the clearance is directed straight to the attacking player, who can either take a free shot from a good position or set up another player for a tap-in. Also, it's a bit rash that you have to sacrifice two defending players to guard the edge of the penalty area and even when instructed to do so, the players often leave their position and leave the lurker open. 

Just had a game against Manchester United, where all their highlights started from set pieces and about 80% of these from corners. 

On 27/12/2023 at 17:46, WelshMourinho said:

I've said this before but transfer valuations are just sheer nonsense. Not only do the AI set absurd valuations for anyone half good (I've posted this in the thread before), but the human valuations are just so clearly lower than they should be.

JonathanDavid_Profile-3.thumb.png.1dd7ffaf0e1edcc4da59660aaf844761.png

Jonathan David has scored 24 league goals in 25(2) games, as well as 9 goals in 15 Champions League games, and I'm supposed to be expecting a measly 18-25m? The most expensive player I have in my squad is Karim Konate, and he's on loan from Bayern. His valuation is 60-71M. The transfer market on the game is dead.

The realism mod fixes this...daveincids realism mod

Hi,

I have a an available wage budget of about 470k but the maximum amount of wages i can offer my players are limited to approximately 100k only. Is there any reason why this is happening?

My board is looking to sell the club but i dont think this affects the wages i can offer or does it?

Thanks!

On 28/12/2023 at 03:37, h3nrique_SEP said:

seriously, how is anyone enjoing this hockey simulator?

image.png.796679c8fe6dc61f9244d203d589cdee.png

11 shots, 4 goals

8 shots, 4 goals

I tend to agree because I was playing the Australian A-League a few days ago and some team scored 8 goals and I thought this is stupid but then yesterday in real life Melb.City beat Brisbane 8-1 . And Brusbane are nit a bad team by any means.

I think the main issue is there are too many substitutes in today's games which results in fresher players late in the game and longer extra time

On 28/12/2023 at 18:20, molsen said:

Hes 27 not exactly young anymore. Mediocre skills and playing in Portugal. 25M seems pretty realistic. IMO many other issues far greater than the transfer valuations.

Strongly disagree. 27 isn't young? It's a striker coming into his prime with a proven goalscoring record, not someone in their early 30s on a downward slide. 

Also don't understand the Portugal comment? Darwin Nunez, Enzo Fernandez and Joao Felix all came from the Portuguese league. Anyone putting up numbers like David has in my save would be getting solid transfer offers.

42 minutes ago, WelshMourinho said:

Strongly disagree. 27 isn't young? It's a striker coming into his prime with a proven goalscoring record, not someone in their early 30s on a downward slide. 

Also don't understand the Portugal comment? Darwin Nunez, Enzo Fernandez and Joao Felix all came from the Portuguese league. Anyone putting up numbers like David has in my save would be getting solid transfer offers.

They're good numbers but his attributes are average when we're talking big money...

Makes sense that there's some reference to ability as well as performance from the AI... Otherwise hyper attacking managers or those using exploits can get 48 billion for a lemon striker. 

9 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

They're good numbers but his attributes are average when we're talking big money...

Makes sense that there's some reference to ability as well as performance from the AI... Otherwise hyper attacking managers or those using exploits can get 48 billion for a lemon striker. 

Who's talking big money? I don't expect to get an offer of 100M for him, but you would absolutely expect at least double the supposed 20m. If Manchester United have an active interest in the player, with the reason of their interest being "would strengthen the starting 11", then yes, you would expect a good sum of money. He's considered a leading player in a  league that has a reputation of 4*s, that's good ability. Their initial offer was 12.5M upfront, with another 4m over 6 months in instalments and another 3.7m after playing 50 league games. That is such an absurdly pathetic offer and has only been made in that way because valuations are just not where they need to be.

5 minutes ago, WelshMourinho said:

Who's talking big money? I don't expect to get an offer of 100M for him, but you would absolutely expect at least double the supposed 20m. If Manchester United have an active interest in the player, with the reason of their interest being "would strengthen the starting 11", then yes, you would expect a good sum of money. He's considered a leading player in a  league that has a reputation of 4*s, that's good ability. Their initial offer was 12.5M upfront, with another 4m over 6 months in instalments and another 3.7m after playing 50 league games. That is such an absurdly pathetic offer and has only been made in that way because valuations are just not where they need to be.

Yeah idk... Personally I wouldn't pay anywhere near 20 for him unless he's fully two footed. 

The stats = strength relative to your club/team not overall btw 

17 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

Yeah idk... Personally I wouldn't pay anywhere near 20 for him unless he's fully two footed. 

The stats = strength relative to your club/team not overall btw 

I'm sorry but I think you're having a bit of a laugh there. He's got mainly 14's across the board for attacking roles and has good acceleration and physicals in general. I'd be very surprised if you're signing players with that spread of attributes for less than £20M regularly. 

And yes, I'm aware that the stars are relative to the team, I've played this game long enough. He's still considered a leading player, and has had both Man United and Arsenal, who've just won the league, interested in him over the last 6 months. 

£20M is nowhere near a fair valuation for that sort of player. 

4 hours ago, DavutOzkan said:

Please, please, PLEASE fix loaning teams recalling players for not playing them in the "right" role. 

Rule 1: Not give promise which you cannot fill. Same apply to real life, not matter if it's football or not (being very old lol)

if the game is not scripted why do i have 15 shots on target great xG only 1 goal 

I would like more realism, a challenging game a bit more difficultly but with this version I  feel like I'm being robbed

with the new update I have noticed players are not scoring that many goals for all players, saka and odeegard in this version are totally rubbish

this new update has ruined a lot of things

9 hours ago, barbecuepit said:

Hi,

I have a an available wage budget of about 470k but the maximum amount of wages i can offer my players are limited to approximately 100k only. Is there any reason why this is happening?

My board is looking to sell the club but i dont think this affects the wages i can offer or does it?

Thanks!

Hi,

Would really appreciate some help on this as it is hindering my renewal of player contracts. Below are some screenshots of the problem

Board Selling.PNG

Wage Limit.PNG

Wage Budget.PNG

16 hours ago, Golob said:

The ME is much better and much worse vs FM23 at the same time.

Much better:

Optically much more natural players’ behavior, good diversity of moves, deflections, really interesting shots etc. Great job in improving the visual part!

Much worse:

ME outcomes make very little sense. We are simply passengers in this poorly balanced game. I started the season as Stuttgard with 8 straight wins, scoring lots of goals (at least two in each match) because the AI in ME cannot cope with high intensity/press tactics. I was like what the hell? It is obviously broken. Then the game thought the same :) … and apparently some scripted modifiers kicked in to balance the outcomes. My team absolutely forgot how to play, lost four matches in a row (against mid-table teams, including 2 home), scoring 2 goals in total. This is a joke after 8 wins with more than twenty goals.

Simply cannot play the game that cannot generate realistic outcomes. And cannot go back to FM23 because I am already spoiled with the much better visual part of FM24. I wish I never bought FM24 and simply went on with FM23.

I kind of agree. We’ve always been passengers in FM to an extent, and that does reflect real life. Managers can only do so much. Winning runs can v quickly become losing runs IRL, as a Spurs fan I can explain this to you in strong terms.

the problem IMO is SI’s desperate reluctance to explain and expand on the nuances of each version and the game in general. So we are always left with asking why something has happened. If we understood the reasons for eg totally unmarked opposition players in our 6 yard box or eg top strikers missing sitters we’d enjoy the game more. But SI choose to keep this vague and opaque. I’ll let you decide why that is. But every year we get more confused and every year they choose not to explain. It’s a shame.

51 minutes ago, Rodrigogc said:

Has anyone seen placed shots ? Apart from when a player is running toward the goalkeeper with no opposition, I NEVER see any placed shots. I'd say 80%~90% goals scored coming from powerful shots.

One or two ...

image.png.543d3420cb68a4fe580afb2361a7ee07.png

I rarely find my players are running at the goalkeeper with no opposition as I play with work ball into box and generally I'm pressing the opposition back, so there's always defenders around when the shots are taken.

Edited by rp1966

13 hours ago, fc.cadoni said:

Rule 1: Not give promise which you cannot fill. Same apply to real life, not matter if it's football or not (being very old lol)

Good luck loaning in a player without having to promise a role though. 

Trust me, I tried. 

7 hours ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

There's a saying about tactics getting the ball to the attacking third, but from there it's up to the players to put it in the net.  That's how playing this match engine feels.  I can get the ball to the feet of a playmaker with creative attributes, PPMs and PIs with runners ahead of him and passing targets, but I can't stop him from waiting till they're offside to make the pass,  or passing it to the runner's feet so he has to check the run, but it's just a little behind so he has to do a little circle and when he's got it under control all the momentum is gone.  I can try to set up a good defensive shape, but I can't stop two players from just... walking away from an attacker with the ball?  not running towards? acting in all respects as if the attacking player isn't there? in the penalty area.  I just lost 3-0 in a Champions League match as players ambled around with the ball as the defenders go 'no, no, after you!' all the way down the pitch.  In real football it'd be sickening.  A match like that in Italy, players would have their tires slashed and there'd be barricades outside the dressing room.  In FM it's completely normal!  That's just what the match engine does, all the time.  

FM22 was, in my view, the best match engine in a long time.  It had two troubles.  Inside forwards and inverted wingers didn't behave correctly throughout that entire generation.  That was the first problem.  The second problem was that attributes didn't matter very much, and a well set up attacking tactic could tikkitakka the ball down the pitch with 40 passes and slot the ball into the net like 2009 Barca at the Camp Nou even when they were really an amateur Welsh side playing in a literal bog.  Bad teams could play like good teams, good teams played like great teams, and it was the best way to play.  You never had to ask questions like 'can Cambridge United really play with mezzalas and inverted wingbacks?'.  FM23, in my view, made every team play like a bad team, or at least a team filled with bad players.  Suddenly defenders didn't know how tall they were and ridiculous stuff like that.  It stopped being video-game football and started being foosball, just balls pingponging around randomly until someone pull the handle too hard and the ball gets knocked out of the cabinet and rolls under a table and you can't find it.  FM24 feels like... I dunno, man.  When you have the ball in your defensive third, you can pass pass pass teams to absolute death.  I went pass-for-pass with Barcelona using a fourth-division amateur Spanish side down to ten men as an experiment; 181 successful passes out of 184 in my own half against 4-2-3-1 Barca pressing as hard as possible.  When you have the ball in your attacking third, you're just playing the Decisions Attribute Lottery, and in that game everyone loses.  And when you don't have the ball no one does anything.  That's why gegenpressing is the meta tactic and has been for a while: if you aren't doing it, your defensive strategy relies on the attacking team misplacing passes -- and that happens a lot!  You can get pretty far waiting for a team to get bored passing at the back and just hoof it forward.  Ball progression kind of comes down to a simple question: will the attacking team pass the ball around and forward, or will a player kick it long when they don't have to?.  That tension, between players being able to pass at the back essentially at will without resistance, and their tendency to occasionally just hoof the ball forward when they don't need to, is the primary tension in the buildup phase of an attack.

I basically believe -- I guess this edges into the land of conspiracy? -- that even the developers don't know what makes certain things happen.  There are so many factors that go into each action -- long-term stamina, short-term high-intensity stamina, technique, decisions, tactics, TIs PIs PPMs, decisions, mentality, morale, this thing that thing the other thing -- that the match engine is fundamentally a black box.  Inputs go in, ????, outputs come out.  And over the last few years, as the match engine has lurched back and forth between meta styles, the rest of the game has stagnated or collapsed completely.

I don't think they "don't know" what causes X and y I just think it's very difficult to tweak something and impact only that thing. It's tricky to intentionally do only X y or Z.

This is why rather than a new feeling engine you get a game or a patch that moves things back and forward to when it felt like crossing manager or high tempo gegenpress manager or whatever. 

Some very illogical transfer market activity happening.

Recently relegated Sheffield United bought a 23 year old striker from me in January for £20m. He'd scored 11 premier league goals the season before but wasn't in my plans this year.

Having joined them, he's immediately listed for loan? A championship team spending £20m on a 23 year old striker with a solid track record in the division above isn't buying them to loan out as 'one for the future.'

4 saat önce, rp1966 said:

One or two ...

image.png.543d3420cb68a4fe580afb2361a7ee07.png

I rarely find my players are running at the goalkeeper with no opposition as I play with work ball into box and generally I'm pressing the opposition back, so there's always defenders around when the shots are taken.

Very random but how do you show this scoring analysis screen? Is it under datahub?

Just now, Batuhan86 said:

Very random but how do you show this scoring analysis screen? Is it under datahub?

Data Hub ->  Team -> Analyst Report (your team needs to have analysts to see any data).  There's then 3 sections on the left hand side that act like buttons (even though they look like info panels) - one for formations; one for scoring (the one you want) and one for conceding.

I think there is way too many 90:th minute goals for my taste. I mean like in the 97:th minute of a 6 minute extra time match. Yes, the other team probably push for the victory at the end, but how come my knackered players act like they have sweataed their brains out while their knackered players can bomb up and down the pitch like there's no tomorrow?

21 hours ago, D-Foxx said:

4-2

4-2

4-3

5-1

3-3

I'm just dying to see a solid 0-0 once every now and then. Weirdest FM version of this decade. 

What are you guys getting those results doing? Playing gung-ho football all the time? These my recent results:

TYF6BkN.png

I have one 4-3 match, but the rest is quite normal, sure we won 4-0 away to a lower rated side, and lost 3-0 away to the best side in the league, but other than that I see quite low scoring matches, including two 0-0s in there.

1 hora atrás, XaW disse:

O que vocês estão obtendo esses resultados fazendo? Jogando futebol entusiasmado o tempo todo? Estes meus resultados recentes:

TYF6BkN.png

Tenho uma partida de 4-3, mas o resto é normal, claro que vencemos por 4-0 fora para um time com classificação inferior e perdemos por 3-0 fora para o melhor time da liga, mas fora isso vejo bastante baixa marcando partidas, incluindo dois 0-0.

I used to think that there weren't many goals, but I actually notice a lot of goals, whether mine or from the computer (at the beginning of the match and at the end). I believe that in fact in world football, especially after the 2014 World Cup, the additions became much bigger and could have more goals, but the most frequent results if we observe are 2 to 2, 2 to 1, above 3 goals for a team is indeed too much .

The game is very fast (the more technical players who seemed to pace the game, with passes, dominations, dribbling) is almost no longer reproduced in ME.
I'm playing a little dull, I wanted a hot fix at least that didn't come out.

1 hour ago, Leon_fogo said:

I used to think that there weren't many goals, but I actually notice a lot of goals, whether mine or from the computer (at the beginning of the match and at the end). I believe that in fact in world football, especially after the 2014 World Cup, the additions became much bigger and could have more goals, but the most frequent results if we observe are 2 to 2, 2 to 1, above 3 goals for a team is indeed too much .

The game is very fast (the more technical players who seemed to pace the game, with passes, dominations, dribbling) is almost no longer reproduced in ME.
I'm playing a little dull, I wanted a hot fix at least that didn't come out.

My scores are normal but then I'm using a football tactic not some monstrosity with 3 out and out strikers and a winger. Or a 4231 Gegen

image.png.8cc6d4345fd85848dba3a07deeee2b16.png

Not sure if this has been mentioned before as a potential bug, or whether it is even a bug at all, but I have noticed that when my players are on loan from the summer until January, the club they are on loan to all come in with offers to extend the loan, and every single time for every single player the "agreed playing time" is always set at fringe player. Ever when the initial loan it was regular starter, important player, key player, whatever, the renewal always comes back as fringe player. Also, some of these players have started every game from the summer to now, so they are clearly being used as more than a fringe player currently. Anyone experienced this before?

1 hora atrás, whatsupdoc disse:

Minhas pontuações são normais, mas estou usando uma tática de futebol, não uma monstruosidade com 3 atacantes e um ala. Ou um 4231 Gegen

image.png.8cc6d4345fd85848dba3a07deeee2b16.png

Maybe in fact the problem is with tactic 4231 and gengpress

One thing that is irritating me is the issue of goals coming from wrong passes, I hardly see goals from plays worked with short touches and especially the millions of balls hitting the post throughout the game.

Another situation that I have already mentioned is loans, there are always complaints that the player is not playing in the indicated role, as the player is used a lot. The AI seems to force some things to make the game difficult and it becomes totally unrealistic... I hope you see these issues in Fm 2024, as the game is not as well finished as it could be.

5 hours ago, Viking said:

I think there is way too many 90:th minute goals for my taste. I mean like in the 97:th minute of a 6 minute extra time match. Yes, the other team probably push for the victory at the end, but how come my knackered players act like they have sweataed their brains out while their knackered players can bomb up and down the pitch like there's no tomorrow?

Lots of goals in real life are now being scored late in the game and extra time !! It's all to do with the extra substitutions . We should be going back to 3 not using 5 .

5 hours ago, Etebaer said:

That was the downfall of EAs FIFA Manager - the Devs with the knowledge went away and the new ones did not know a thing.

Don't think that was the reason . EA were not the best at listening to there fan base . They more likely stopped the game for poor sales results as everyone went to SI 

36 minutes ago, Itego said:

So there is no estimated date for patches or is it random?

Major patches come out at the same basic times every year.  The next one will probably be after the winter transfer window closes.  If there's one between now and then, it'll probably be more in the nature of a hotfix addressing some critical error, like a memory leak or reproducible crash.