Football Manager 2024 Official Feedback Thread

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Iakovenko said:

I'll believe that when this happens just once in my favour (I've been waiting 15+ years)

1000005166.jpg

Again, the match engine doesn't know the difference between the player and the AI. Unlucky though.

On 05/12/2023 at 21:52, mpfm said:

I am quite furious right now and i am not sure if it's a bug or if there is something i can do about it. I am playing as Sochaux in France, and halfway through the first half of the season i asked my board to increase the youth intake, seeing as my goal with the save was to use as many homegrown players as possible. They agreed to increase the junior coaching but for the recruitment they wanted me to promise to "give young players first-team opportunities" to at least two players. I figured this would be an easy promise since my whole team is young anyway. Fast forward to the end of the season i and i have cruised to an easy promotion. I have also extensively used young players (i mean 90% of my squad is very young) and even played like the last 5-6 games with mostly youngsters (17 year olds) starting, since i had won the league. The board is very pleased with me and everything and i have a B rating.

After the season is done i am then immediately, without any warning, fired; for "failing to give first-team opportunities to our young players". Absolutely shocking.

There is nowhere in the game to even see this invisible "promise" that i made earlier in the season, all i can i see is a happy board. Also, i have gone way over the promise with using tons of youngsters all season. I also got a fantastic youth-intake with a golden generation, and it is now all down in the drain because "the most complete game ever" can't function properly.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is there anything i can do to avoid my game being ruined? Is this actually a bug? I am fuming. If this means the end of this save i am not gonna bother to pick up this travesty again.

Apologies if somebody has already said this but I think that in order to be seen to give young players opportunities the players have to be in one of your youth teams. It doesn’t count if they are in your first team.

8 hours ago, KingCanary said:

Currently having quite a frustrating experience, in that my team have gone from scoring freely to being suddenly incapable Infront of goal.

As you can see I had a pretty free scoring November.

image.png.525119ba1afce002d81dd0ba82dd91fb.png

Now I'm not silly, I realise this is a very OTT run- I've scored 15 goals across 5 games. Not sustainable, fine. But I've suddenly, out of nowhere swung to this...

image.thumb.png.c27efbef9a7363031914a24af88876f7.png

So I've gone from 15 goals in 5 League games to two goals in my last 6, 3 in 7 if you include the Carabao cup game. What makes it more concerning is one of those is a penalty and one is a free kick. So across 7 games I've scored 1 goal from open play!

It seems bizarre to swing from one extreme to another. I get that scoring 3 a game isn't going to go on forever. But over the first 15 games of the season we scored 37 goals, so even in the first 10 games we scored 22 goals so it isn't like that was a totally out there purple patch. We've gone from being one of the best goal scoring teams in the league to the absolute worst for no reason I can fathom. 

A1 has worked out your tactics . You need to start tweaking them.  Bit like Tottenham.  

8 hours ago, mozza79 said:

I honestly don't really see the high scores tamed in this update. So many 6-7-8 goal matches with 4-3, 3-2, 5-1, 6-1 on a regular basis. 

Scores in the EPL this week 5-0 , 3-3 , 4-3 , 3-2 , 3-3 , 4-3 , 5-0 , 3-0 . 

On 27/11/2023 at 23:19, Viking said:

Please make this stop:

image.png.5c2528f60ff8bad9490602a7b5052d64.png

It's October 2024. I have all US players loaded. There's plenty of real life talents in the game. There's absolutely NO reason to have 15-16 year old newgens in the US U20 squad. Either give them less CA/CR or make the AI less likley to pick underage players into the roster.

I've noticed this too. US newgens have too high CA but also too low PA.

8 hours ago, alian62 said:

Scores in the EPL this week 5-0 , 3-3 , 4-3 , 3-2 , 3-3 , 4-3 , 5-0 , 3-0 . 

of course and i've seen that quoted a lot on here this week. yes it does happen, but not all the time. i hardly ever see a 0-0 now on FM or get a clean sheet myself despite trying to see games out to get some and see game weeks like the above as the norm, which it isn't. 

just my observations and i've given it a few seasons and a fair crack to see proper trends. i think i'm going back to 23', because imo the game just isn't a big enough improvement infact its gone backwards imo. the last patch in 23' is far more polished than this game as it stands, definitely holding off on buying 25' that is destined to be riddled with problems from the start. you live and learn

1 hour ago, mozza79 said:

of course and i've seen that quoted a lot on here this week. yes it does happen, but not all the time. i hardly ever see a 0-0 now on FM or get a clean sheet myself despite trying to see games out to get some and see game weeks like the above as the norm, which it isn't. 

just my observations and i've given it a few seasons and a fair crack to see proper trends. i think i'm going back to 23', because imo the game just isn't a big enough improvement infact its gone backwards imo. the last patch in 23' is far more polished than this game as it stands, definitely holding off on buying 25' that is destined to be riddled with problems from the start. you live and learn

The Premier League has seen 3 0-0s so far this season, after 15 match days. They just don't happen all that often.

2 hours ago, tropicsafc said:

It's a really lazy point to make. One could cherry pick any results from any league on any given week to suit their point. 

I think we need to understand why Football Manager which is a simulation of results to come has high scorelines. It’s meant to reflect a world where the extra period of time now being allotted to games which is more than previous seasons and the extra substitution rule creates the possibility of higher scorelines.  Comparing scorelines historically have no purpose, the game seeks to posit what can happen in football as a result of current rules.  Sports Interactive as developers of the game have a right and have done this as a matter of policy - to try and simulate results to come. Naturally there can be issues such as uneven conversion rates or simply scorelines that are too unrealistic and  if they happen too much then they do adjust the match engine to reflect. In my saves I am seeing a GPG of around 2.9, yes some teams do score 5-0 and 3-3 but we need to look at the season as a whole. 

2 hours ago, mozza79 said:

I ran the numbers on the championship and the game was actually under replicating high scoring games (+5 goals per game) by quite a large margin.

I think people like you just entirely under estimate how common high scoring games are these days.

13 hours ago, alian62 said:

A1 has worked out your tactics . You need to start tweaking them.  Bit like Tottenham.  

I understand that but it just seems very unrealistic that apparently the entire league all worked out my tactics at the same time to such an extent. It just ends up feeling a bit like the game going 'right enough of that' rather than an organic process of teams finding different ways to play against teams.

20 minutes ago, KingCanary said:

I understand that but it just seems very unrealistic that apparently the entire league all worked out my tactics at the same time to such an extent. It just ends up feeling a bit like the game going 'right enough of that' rather than an organic process of teams finding different ways to play against teams.

So basically you're judging unrealistic the fact that a team can have a period of poor performance...

25 dakika önce, KingCanary said:

I feel for you. The way it is that you overachieve so the game triggers mid game slump script. To overcome this, you need to change some aspects of tactics( ie if you are high pressing, take it to mid block, change role from If to IW , wb to Fb  etc) then you will start winning again.

image.thumb.png.bf1c93679dbbbf3977c798229f5805f4.png

Breaking two goalscoring records in a single qualification cycle...

I'm loving the game, but I can't stop stressing about the scorelines even after the patch... I understand that the top league average goals scored are currently lower than in real life, but I truly wish it would be possible to tweak the overall goalscoring according to the league/level. In real life, these thriller games are common in the Prem, UCL, etc., but very rarely they occur in lower leagues and smaller nations' international ties. :(

48 minutes ago, makavali said:

I'm loving the game, but I can't stop stressing about the scorelines even after the patch... I understand that the top league average goals scored are currently lower than in real life, but I truly wish it would be possible to tweak the overall goalscoring according to the league/level. In real life, these thriller games are common in the Prem, UCL, etc., but very rarely they occur in lower leagues and smaller nations' international ties. :(

The thing is there's one ME and it applies to all leagues. 

As FM is meant to be a simulation the scores have to be naturally generated out of the ME - trying to massage the outputs for specific leagues just to maintain the stats would be faking things - it would no longer be a simulation.  You really need to ask why scores are lower in those games and then apply tweaks to the inputs to the ME. So are researchers giving those players too high attribute ratings, are managers playing less cautiously than IRL?  Is the ME lacking a broad enough range of outcomes for different attribute levels?  These could all be factors, but where trends in particular leagues lead to higher or lower scoring SI need to understand what leads to that difference in football culture and either the inputs to the ME or the balance of the ME calculations needs to change to allow it to generate closer to IRL outcomes.  If all you do is manipulate the outcomes then you negate the effect that manager changes could make - e.g. an influx of attack-minded managers taking over clubs in a traditionally low-scoring, defensively-minded league.

And. of course, the more seasons you play, the more your FM world diverges from reality so after the first couple of seasons comparisons to real-life become meaningless.

Edited by rp1966

6 hours ago, tropicsafc said:

It's a really lazy point to make. One could cherry pick any results from any league on any given week to suit their point. 

It's not lazy and it's in line with what the game produces . I don't need to prove any point because SI have shown the yearly goals per game are even with the EPL. It's just true . 5 subs per game and matches that run up to 10 minutes extra time will always produce more goals.  

Edited by alian62

2 hours ago, KingCanary said:

The AI does not figure out your tactics. Nor does something like a "mid season slump script" exist as some other user is claiming.

The AI will adjust how they play against you when you are over performing, which results in them approaching games against you more cautiously, making it harder to score.

Also, looking at your first streak, you had a loss against CP, 3 easier opponents and admittedly a very good away win against Spurs. Then the second streak was a number of away games where you generally struggle (and FM has a bit of history with away teams being awful) and home games against generally solid opposition in United, Liverpool and Newcastle. Are those results really that strange? Especially as it's during a much more crowded period in the season, where you have to deal with fatigue and player rotation. Except for the Leeds matches are those results really that surprising?

Some repetitive goals happening now alot. Winger of FB drives to the back line, crosses it low straight infront of goal,  2 meters infront of goal line, and someone ticks it in. Goalie and CBs are there just watching somehow, while the ball is rly getting crossed so close to them. Its weird.

Also still winning with ease in home games against big teams, city 5-1 again same compared before the update. Now a 4-0 win v atleti etc. 

the amount of goals seems to be a lot more realistic post-patch, but im still getting a goal outside the box(long shot) pretty much every game, every other game. Long shots seem to be ridiculously OP this year. Perhaps just because im managing at step 2 and the goalkeepers are ****, but i would say its notably abnormal 

4 часа назад, Freakiie сказал:

The AI does not figure out your tactics. Nor does something like a "mid season slump script" exist as some other user is claiming.

The AI will adjust how they play against you when you are over performing, which results in them approaching games against you more cautiously, making it harder to score.

It is amazing how many people make such naive statements. As if SI would not care about ensuring plausible outcomes distribution. It is so obvious that if a team overachieves for a prolonged period (human player or AI), certain modifiers kick in to limit this and avoid nonsence outcomes of the season. They call it complacency effect, other teams approaching differently, whatever.

And, btw, playing more cautiously may make for the other team scoring harder, but it should not increase the probability of the cautious team to win. Otherwise everyone would play cautiosly as this would be a superior tactic.

So, mid-season slump does exist for a very simple reason. The human player is much smarter and can overachieve in the begining of the season, but then this has to be limited. Though some players are so good at gaming the system that they manage to drag winning periods much longer. I am talking about FM23, because FM24 is still poorly balanced in comparison to FM23, so everything can happen there.

5 hours ago, Freakiie said:

Also, looking at your first streak, you had a loss against CP, 3 easier opponents and admittedly a very good away win against Spurs. Then the second streak was a number of away games where you generally struggle (and FM has a bit of history with away teams being awful) and home games against generally solid opposition in United, Liverpool and Newcastle. Are those results really that strange? Especially as it's during a much more crowded period in the season, where you have to deal with fatigue and player rotation. Except for the Leeds matches are those results really that surprising?

The results aren't the issue- I can take a few losses. It was the fact I went from scoring over 2 a game to scoring 1 goal from open play across that many games. I'd understand losses where maybe teams worked out to hit me better on the counter or a couple of games where teams worked out how to shut me down. Of those teams, Brentford, Man U, West Ham and Leeds are all bottom half for goals conceded in my save. The idea that all 7 of those teams suddenly worked out how to shut down one of the leagues most potent attacks in a row is just a bit odd to me.

The loss I had against Palace was actually one of the most enjoyable realistic games I'd had on FM- they were 19th at the time, no win in 7 and we were in form. However my players got lazy, made a couple of errors and then they scored from a set piece and bam I'm 3-0 down. Then, like most teams with a surprise lead but low on confidence they got deeper and deeper and I nearly snatched a draw. To me that is something I can logically get my head around more than going from one of the best attacks in the league to suddenly being incapable of scoring from open play for 7 straight games.

7 hours ago, rp1966 said:

The thing is there's one ME and it applies to all leagues. 

As FM is meant to be a simulation the scores have to be naturally generated out of the ME - trying to massage the outputs for specific leagues just to maintain the stats would be faking things - it would no longer be a simulation.  You really need to ask why scores are lower in those games and then apply tweaks to the inputs to the ME. So are researchers giving those players too high attribute ratings, are managers playing less cautiously than IRL?  Is the ME lacking a broad enough range of outcomes for different attribute levels?  These could all be factors, but where trends in particular leagues lead to higher or lower scoring SI need to understand what leads to that difference in football culture and either the inputs to the ME or the balance of the ME calculations needs to change to allow it to generate closer to IRL outcomes.  If all you do is manipulate the outcomes then you negate the effect that manager changes could make - e.g. an influx of attack-minded managers taking over clubs in a traditionally low-scoring, defensively-minded league.

And. of course, the more seasons you play, the more your FM world diverges from reality so after the first couple of seasons comparisons to real-life become meaningless.

I completely understand and I'm thankful it was improved very quickly. It's just a bit frustrating, as it has not been a problem at all in the previous games. Overall scorelines across the save felt like real life last year and if there was a big one, you could always explain it. Great attacking teams were able to score a lot, however, when doing a save in lower leagues, the scorelines and tables were a lot more pragmatic. Maybe I'm just traumatized by the pre-patch situation, I don't know. 

Edited by makavali

46 minutes ago, LingLing said:

Anyone else noticed really low penalty numbers? I'm on my 3rd save and I don't remember having more than 3 pens per season.

Interestingly, I'm getting tons. I like it though, as I've always felt like there were too few of them previously. In real life, there's a pen/var check in every match lol

2 hours ago, kiingallen said:

Year 2025, and this is what Norwich are doing in the Premier League. This is not sitting well with me at all.

image.png.e6c282e66bb90fd76725f45ed7f9fc2d.png

Most notably the highlighted fixtures. Clearly not just scraping by as well... And honestly is effecting the immersion for me. This isn't well off into the future either.

Also to mention this is their FIRST season back in the premier league from the championship last season.

Norwich have been knocking on Europe's door for me too in about 2028. Has been brilliant. Great to see an AI team overperform like that.

10 hours ago, smithy20 said:

Why hasn't the post match data analysis/report been fixed yet?

This. Can someone from SI confirm will there be any hotfix to this issue? Or will we have to wait for the next big update?

10 hours ago, kiingallen said:

Year 2025, and this is what Norwich are doing in the Premier League. This is not sitting well with me at all.

Most notably the highlighted fixtures. Clearly not just scraping by as well... And honestly is effecting the immersion for me. This isn't well off into the future either.

Also to mention this is their FIRST season back in the premier league from the championship last season

Didn't you witness Leicester's league winning season mate

vor 20 Stunden schrieb Freakiie:

I dont know if it exists in FM24, it certainly is an experience i myself had that troubles most of the FM saves at least until recent year FM games.

You need to be extremely careful to have your Team have a good start into the second leg of the season which means producing good atmosphere, good cohesion, good morale, play at least 3 friendlies to win the fist games of the second leg and do not allow yourself to underestimate even the loserteams of the first leg - play your best team and grab the wins and do not botch it by subbing in weak players - the morale manager kicks in for the second leg as well!

So, there is in practice a "mid season slump" by the way the game works if not very carefully countered by the manager unless you manage a carefree-team that wins anyway while you autoinflate your trophy stats!

Edited by Etebaer

15 minutes ago, Etebaer said:

I dont know if it exists in FM24, it certainly is an experience i myself had that troubles most of the FM saves at least until recent year FM games.

You need to be extremely careful to have your Team have a good start into the second leg of the season which means producing good atmosphere, good cohesion, good morale, play at least 3 friendlies to win the fist games of the second leg and do not allow yourself to underestimate even the loserteams of the first leg - play your best team and grab the wins and do not botch it by subbing in weak players - the morale manager kicks in for the second leg as well!

So, there is in practice a "mid season slump" by the way the game works if not very carefully countered by the manager unless you manage a carefree-team that wins anyway while you autoinflate your trophy stats!

Obviously there are a lot of factors you need to pay attention to as manager, especially when massively over performing with a weaker team, but the suggestion that there is some sort of script that holds you back to "guarantee somewhat realistic results" or that the AI figures out and somehow manages to counter your tactics just doesn't exist. There is a massive difference between your team starting to struggle breaking down defenses because opponents play more cautiously against you and your team not having the raw quality to just overwhelm a team parking the bus resulting in a streak of poor results and the suggestion that the game at some point flags teams for over performing and nerfs them to drag their performance down to more realistic levels and that is why their results are suddenly worse.

On 08/12/2023 at 18:20, FMpufc said:

the amount of goals seems to be a lot more realistic post-patch

well someone from the company said the amount of goals in FM is actually lower than in real life, so it's all about perception of what a realistic amount of goals is I suppose

Far too many ridiculous score lines for me. 5-3 is far too frequent, I ain't necessary just talking about my team, in the league alone - I'm seeing high scoring games far too often for my liking.

Saw 6-5 back to back, 5-3 and a few 5-4s. 

Also on key highlights it appears that the highlights are either goal, off target or the woodwork - keeper rarely seem to make saves from what I've saw after 400+ hours plus. Been tempted to move to comprehensive but just don't have the time for it.

Finally, the xG stat can **** off. Sick of having xG over 5 and the opponents under 1 yet the game finishes 5-3.

The game is good, don't get me wrong but the above is really taking away the immersion for me. 

Edited by ScottishFM

I pretty sure that most of the instructions are only to get more highlights to go your way.

If the opponent is chasing the game they go F.I 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-2-2-1 and have 4 player outside the box when i have a goalkick so every player in my backline has a player marking them.

I have never ever seen my team do it even if i have high line, prevent gk short distribution and always press on every player of the other team. There is also no urgency in trying to get the ball forward.

The tempo is always the same. slow or high then team plays at the same tempo.

I havent found a way to replicate long throw ins where there is a player that comes and flicks it further into the box.

I also cant have my players take a throw in and cross it to the back post for my attacker to head it in. 

Tell my players to cross early and low crosses no i will run to the byline and cross into a defender for a corner.

Players trying to take a defender on to when counter attacking, no i will just run and stop and pass it back.

6 hours ago, Madjionicar said:

Hi guys,

Umm can someone explain to me how was i been able to win Champions League, with Partizan (Belgrade) in SEASON TWO? 

Sorry for caps, but this is just ridicules... 80% of my starting team is from the start of the game, broth 3 kids, and in season two, won CL.

Transfer budget, 1.5m first, and the same, second season. No load/save were done, not for one game.

I really consider asking for a refund.

Playing FM from 2000, and newer have i won CL with Partizan...

Yeah, you need to put in little restrictions on how you play to bring it to some kind of realism. No pressing tactics, etc. I use DOF for transfers also. In FM23, I went and added 10CA to all zvezda players to make sure they were more consistent as well.

Only recently started my FM24 save and definitely overachieving but it's early days, so still enjoying it.

And also, I have never won the CL with Partizan even though I tried every time from CM03/04 until about FM2017, after which point I started focusing more on getting that realism of battling to win the league against zvezda. 

On 09/12/2023 at 03:00, kiingallen said:

Also to mention this is their FIRST season back in the premier league from the championship last season.

They will never fix this. They only care about the casual fans now

3 hours ago, DrIgz said:

Yeah, you need to put in little restrictions on how you play to bring it to some kind of realism. No pressing tactics, etc. I use DOF for transfers also.

I think you need to play realistically if you want realism. 

Attribute-less skin. Only sign players your scouts have found or youve played against. The club negotiates the deals and contracts. If youre one of the worst sides in a league create a tactic that fits that, like a real manager would. Its what ive tried to do and getting realistic results for a weaker side who lack a goalscorer and are trying to grind their way to safety.

StJohnstoneFootballClub_Fixtures-2.png.e4271fcd082fdb8a2dc93454548f0193.png

Ive zero doubt someone could have the same squad top of the league and scoring every week instead by just going balls to the wall attacking tactic wise, but theyd then compain the games bad halfway through the season whereas im loving it.

Its just like everything thats coded. Crap input = crap output. You could put a GK up front and have him hit double figures, but thats your fault for ruining the realism of the game, not the games.