Football Manager 2024 Official Feedback Thread

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Freakiie said:

I mean, should 5* coaches be a common thing? Assuming that the current top teams have some of the best coaches in the world instead of just sleeping on their backroom staff, like the AI does, and almost none of these coaches are 5*, then surely SI intends for these coaches to be incredibly uncommon.

There are seventeen players with 170+ CA in my save in 2024 and one 170+ coach (who still isn't good enough to be 5-star in his best category and can't be hired and isn't a coach on his starting contract).  There are 59 players with 160+ CA and nine coaches.  I think incredibly uncommon is an understatement.  There are no elite discipline coaches outside Fitness and Goalkeeping, where they're actually pretty common.  There's 12 160+ CA GK coaches and 14 160+ CA Fitness coaches, meaning there are nearly three times as many good (not great or elite, because a 160 CA coach could easily have a 3 or 3.5-star rating in their best category) coaches for the four Fitness/GK categories as there are for the remaining six.  If you want to go up into the 180 CA range, forget about it.  There are no staff members with that kind of CA unless you've managed to hire Klopp or Pep.

CA isn't the right metric for coaches, but there's no quick-and-dirty one that gets closer.

12 hours ago, RDF Tactics said:

Incredibly disappointing. Has been reported multiple times over the years. I reported it this year too.

I'm not sure why it happens. Maybe the game is showing something different from what's supposed to happen but it's been a thing and also offside chances still counting on the stats. Becomes more difficult to completely trust the data if certain things we can see aren't being recorded correctly.

This is the official answer about woodworks..

On 21/11/2023 at 17:39, Zachary Whyte said:

Hello @dzek

We looked into your examples, in the first batch of examples in one of the four cases there's a deflection from a defender before the ball hits the bar, which is why it's not counted as it hitting the woodwork. In all of the other examples there were also deflections. This is why those are not counted as 'woodwork' stats.

53 minutes ago, dzek said:

This is the official answer about woodworks..

I mentioned on the prior page I'd noticed deflections and fingertip keeper saves weren't counted.

Good to know this is the official reason.

I think this probably accounts for about a third of all the hitting the Woodwork I see though at a rough guesstimate.

7 ore fa, The About Average Jake ha scritto:

It's the frequency in which it happens. 

Plus I've never seen a team come back from 3 down with only 26% possession. 

Pal, it's evident you're not following Serie A.
Allegri's Juventus is currently at the top of the table and wins ALL the matches like that. :lol:

35 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

I mentioned on the prior page I'd noticed deflections and fingertip keeper saves weren't counted.

Good to know this is the official reason.

I think this probably accounts for about a third of all the hitting the Woodwork I see though at a rough guesstimate.

It was something that concerned me too about the statistic of the woodwork but with a little research I saw that indeed if the ball does hit an opposing player then usually the shot is counted as a "shot blocked". I don't know if the game counts it like this. Maybe we need an official answer about this.

Now as far as goalkeepers are concerned all I have noticed is that they still don't look like goalkeepers :lol: and I made a comment when they announced the new "Truer Football" feature that goalkeepers would be puppets on the field. In the end, I think I was right.

At the start of a new save, there are no youth players on some teams.
I keep trying different DB setups but for some reason it's not happening.. Am I missing something ? Am I doing something wrong or it's a bug ?
Screenshot2023-12-03103336.thumb.png.6b549d27a1aadd147a44541bead27cee.png
Screenshot2023-12-03103550.thumb.png.ed2013e57b16d5a6f95916e95c94ba09.png
Screenshot2023-12-03103615.thumb.png.9535aeb8979a08a6f8fea694cf5081ff.png
Screenshot2023-12-03103634.thumb.png.14718663f189890396b73a5fc8663fb5.png

Screenshot 2023-12-03 103527.png

Edited by BuzzR

This update has ruined the match engine for me it is so boring and slow. my team is not scoring as many goals as they were

and I can have more than 10 shots on target with good xg but still not score. 

when the game was first released the games were exciting to watch but  were difficult especially away games but what they've done now 

is ruin the match engine by giving us a quick update which hasn't fixed anything but has ruined a lot of the game

3 hours ago, trviggo said:

Surely I'm not the only one that has had the player list showing in wrong order bug happen exclusively after it was supposedly fixed right? 

Only happens when I'm playing away for some reason.

1 hour ago, BuzzR said:

At the start of a new save, there are no youth players on some teams.
I keep trying different DB setups but for some reason it's not happening.. Am I missing something ? Am I doing something wrong or it's a bug ?
Screenshot2023-12-03103336.thumb.png.6b549d27a1aadd147a44541bead27cee.png
Screenshot2023-12-03103550.thumb.png.ed2013e57b16d5a6f95916e95c94ba09.png
Screenshot2023-12-03103615.thumb.png.9535aeb8979a08a6f8fea694cf5081ff.png
Screenshot2023-12-03103634.thumb.png.14718663f189890396b73a5fc8663fb5.png

Screenshot 2023-12-03 103527.png

It's not a bug.

2 contributing factors, A lot of lower league teams don't have many youth players and/or It can be hard for the researchers to get this type of information if the clubs don't release it. So clubs of this stature could have youth players in real life but can't be implemented in game unless we know about their existence.

20 minutes ago, ru9a said:

What are you talking about?

If I understand you correctly you have a problem with “improved AI team selection” right? And you're showing us your team in the screenshot that's not relevant. You want to explain your problem better?

I'm very upset with how the game developers have treated us players who have been buying and playing this game for many years just gave us a quick update which has made the match engine worse.

- the update has ruined the Match engine games are very boring and slow
-when u watch on highlights the match engine wastes most of the time "waiting for the next highlight to load" 
 - the match engine graphics should be better everything looks flat including the ball ball moves too slow
- the match engine was very good to watch when it was first released apart from how difficult away games were and the problem is still there you can have 10 shots on target good xg and not even score a goal
- very difficult to choose teams you want for friendlies because they are all busy
- difficult to sell players for good prices
- can't even add your own picture for the managers picture
- all players dwell on the ball for too long so boring
- all personal assistants look wierd
- too many loan offers for my players all at once
- training has no real effect, neither do team instructions
- if we make a cup friendly there should be a presentation at the end
- I scout so many players and  80% of the young players are too rubbish to play for my club how can this be?

FM23 was far from perfect but atleast I can say It was a game I enjoyed playing with this new update I no longer feel like playing this game

14 horas atrás, Muja disse:

Corners are way too OP!!
Joao Cancelo made TWENTYSIX assists in 33 matches, and at least 15 are from corners.

Schermata 2023-12-02 alle 23.13.33.png

Well, it's not about corners because statistically, it's more or less within the average. Arsenal and Spurs made 13 last season, but 26 assists in one year is a bit excessive. Kevin De Bruyne made 20 in the Premier League, and that's the record of premiere league.

I'm basing myself on Premier League data, but surely I also find it a bit excessive.

Edited by lightworker

Credit it where it's due, new patch is an immeasurable improvement given the shambolic state of the game before.

However, and I sound like a broken record given I've been asking for this for the best part of the last half decade, please please please fix the inordinate amount of woodwork hits. I'm getting between 3-6 woodwork hits in consecutive games, it's just utterly insane. 

2 hours ago, eren39 said:

opposit keeper always man of the match, my keeper has no hands. gg´s. always the same ****.

It’s because you usually have more shots than the AI so naturally the way the game does the ratings they will get good average ratings compared to your keeper who will face less shots 

I've found some issues with scheduling.

1. In my current league (2. German Bundesliga), all my cup matches are placed horribly.

In the 2. Bundesliga, all matches are played either on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Cup matches are generally placed on Wednesdays. Virtually every time, the league match before the cup is on Sunday while the match after the cup is on Friday or Saturday. League scheduling should take additional matches into account (as it does with European competitions).

2. I've also noticed that the last games of the new European league stages are happening well within the winter break for some nations. While it's nice to bring a feature that will only happen in the future, all the moving parts sort of need to be accounted for. Things will definitely change, either by shortening winter breaks or by different schedules. I've seen an Austrian team playing a CL match a whole month before their league restarted (though they had a cup match before that).

4 ore fa, RealRed ha scritto:

so you've scored 15 corners and you think that is OP? Come on.... 

2 ore fa, lightworker ha scritto:

Well, it's not about corners because statistically, it's more or less within the average. Arsenal and Spurs made 13 last season, but 26 assists in one year is a bit excessive. Kevin De Bruyne made 20 in the Premier League, and that's the record of premiere league.

I'm basing myself on Premier League data, but surely I also find it a bit excessive.

Let me explain better: yes, the corner kick numbers are within the norm. Apparently.

The thing is, this happened while I was testing a tactic to see if I could increase the AMC's ability to make assists. To test this tactic, I assigned all set pieces to Cancelo to make sure that all my AMC's assists at the end of the season came from active play.

This made me discover that WHOEVER the designated set-piece taker is, at the end of the season, they'll have between 10-15 more assists. ALWAYS. It doesn't even matter how good they are at taking them. And I didn't even use special set-piece routines. I can say this after several tests in different teams and nations.
That seems like a number a bit out of the ordinary to me.

Add to that the fact that full-backs in FM, for several years now, are the most prolific assist-makers, even in AI-managed teams... So, Cancelo easily reaches 26 assists per season. Not normal numbers for a full-back.

The most creative players ever (Messi, Ozil, Muller, and others) have even reached 30 assists in a single season... But for a full-back, these seem like abnormal numbers, especially if all it takes to achieve them is having them take corner kicks.

21 minutes ago, Muja said:

Let me explain better: yes, the corner kick numbers are within the norm. Apparently.

The thing is, this happened while I was testing a tactic to see if I could increase the AMC's ability to make assists. To test this tactic, I assigned all set pieces to Cancelo to make sure that all my AMC's assists at the end of the season came from active play.

This made me discover that WHOEVER the designated set-piece taker is, at the end of the season, they'll have between 10-15 more assists. ALWAYS. It doesn't even matter how good they are at taking them. And I didn't even use special set-piece routines. I can say this after several tests in different teams and nations.
That seems like a number a bit out of the ordinary to me.

Add to that the fact that full-backs in FM, for several years now, are the most prolific assist-makers, even in AI-managed teams... So, Cancelo easily reaches 26 assists per season. Not normal numbers for a full-back.

The most creative players ever (Messi, Ozil, Muller, and others) have even reached 30 assists in a single season... But for a full-back, these seem like abnormal numbers, especially if all it takes to achieve them is having them take corner kicks.

That is because WB(a) is very strong on FM, and AI has difficulty to defend the crosses especially low ones from them and that is why you see huge numbers from them, real life wise IWB is becoming more and more common than wingbacks even though both are super viable and depends on players and teams but comparing to 10 years ago when none played IWB is a big difference.

This whole thing about Full backs having so many assists is absolutely true. In my FM23 save with St Pauli I can see many of them reaching between 20~30 assists per season, but I think I chose to ignore to enjoy the game more (which is something I do often but should not). I play 4231 and got my AMC to perform better by choosing support role with individual instructions, but still he can't reach the amount of assists that Full backs can in the game, which is kinda weird. I haven't tested a tactic like 4-1-2-1-2 with a fast full back (like thierry, frimpong etc) but I can see that it probably will result in many assists for a full back this fast. 

26 minuti fa, Rodrigogc ha scritto:

This whole thing about Full backs having so many assists is absolutely true. In my FM23 save with St Pauli I can see many of them reaching between 20~30 assists per season, but I think I chose to ignore to enjoy the game more (which is something I do often but should not). I play 4231 and got my AMC to perform better by choosing support role with individual instructions, but still he can't reach the amount of assists that Full backs can in the game, which is kinda weird. I haven't tested a tactic like 4-1-2-1-2 with a fast full back (like thierry, frimpong etc) but I can see that it probably will result in many assists for a full back this fast. 

Yeah, the thing with full-backs is a bit immersion-breaking, but it has been going on for so long that I kinda got used to it.

What I really can't accept is AMCs having so little impact in the game. I've been making lots of tests for that very reasons.
Good news is, there ARE a few solutions. Once I'm done I'll create a thread to help everyone like us who'd love for the number tens to perform better.

33 minutes ago, Rodrigogc said:

I must be playing the game wrong because I don't score the amount of goals people on here score from corners (I don't concede much as well) and my fullbacks don't get close to those numbers for assists 

15 minutes ago, Muja said:

What I really can't accept is AMCs having so little impact in the game. I've been making lots of tests for that very reasons.
Good news is, there ARE a few solutions. Once I'm done I'll create a thread to help everyone like us who'd love for the number tens to perform better.

I guess it must be down to the the players/roles elsewhere in the team because my AMC (an AM(At) in a 4-2-3-1 DM) is the absolute star of the show.  Last season  joint top scorer; most assists and highest rating.  This season (only 5 games so far) already top scorer and highest rated - only joint leader on assists so far. What may be part of the reason is that my AMC is the best player in the team by quite a margin, so maybe that means the ME focuses more play through him than if I had more comparable level players around him.

I guess I'll find out as I strengthen the squad and my high potential young players improve..

Edited by rp1966

7 minuti fa, DarJ ha scritto:

I must be playing the game wrong because I don't score the amount of goals people on here score from corners (I don't concede much as well) and my fullbacks don't get close to those numbers for assists 

Just check the top assist-men of your league right now. 
I have zero doubts most of them will be full-backs and wingers.

6 minuti fa, rp1966 ha scritto:

I guess it must be down to the the players/roles elsewhere in the team because my AMC (an AM(At) in a 4-2-3-1 DM) is the absolute star of the show.  Last season  joint top scorer; most assists and highest rating.  This season (only 5 games so far) already top scorer and highest rated - not leading the assists yet. What may be part of the reason is that my AMC is the best player in the team by quite a margin, so maybe that means the ME focuses more play through him than if I had more comparable level players around him.

I guess I'll find out as I strengthen the squad.

AMCs have no problem scoring - heck, a Shadow Striker might even score more than your forwards.
My concerns are mainly about assists. If I had to guess, I'd say your AMC is also taking corners and free kicks - or you're already using one of the "tricks" I've discovered.
But for the sake of my "study", would you mind sharing your tactics? (Also mentioning the AMC's role, duty and PIs).
It would be a great help!

EDIT: maybe privately, since we don't want to clog up this thread, which is for general game feedback.

Edited by Muja

15 minutes ago, Muja said:

AMCs have no problem scoring - heck, a Shadow Striker might even score more than your forwards.
My concerns are mainly about assists. If I had to guess, I'd say your AMC is also taking corners and free kicks - or you're already using one of the "tricks" I've discovered.
But for the sake of my "study", would you mind sharing your tactics? (Also mentioning the AMC's role, duty and PIs).
It would be a great help!

You're right about him taking corners (at least some of the time - depends who else is on the pitch).  Tactic is nothing special and there's no PIs on the AMC:

image.png.2c7c76cbac28166e97027fa8d9432f30.png

AMC stats:
image.png.1ea9219f66565eb7f94f604f4b568b56.png

Edited by rp1966

16 minuti fa, rp1966 ha scritto:

You're right about him taking corners.  Tactic is nothing special and there's no PIs on the AMC:

AMC stats:
image.png.1ea9219f66565eb7f94f604f4b568b56.png

There you have it. If you remove the corners, he'd be making about 3 - 4 assists per season. Maybe a bit more, but that's the average.
If you want him to make even more, give the instruction to make forward runs to ONE of your DMS.
That'll make your AMC shift a bit to the side, where he'll be able to make more assists.

I've done countless tests. It appears evident to me that most assists come from the flanks or from deep, very very rarely from just outside the penalty box.
So you want your AMC to be in one of the "hot zones".

Of course, that only applies if you're as obsessed as I am and want to see more incisive passes and creative plays from your AMC in open play. If your tactic is already bringing you satisfaction, there's no reason to change it - everyone plays as they want! :D 

Thank you very much for sharing your tactic, btw!

Edited by Muja

1 minuto fa, Dadecane ha scritto:

I dont think ive ever had a fullback get more than 8-10 assists for me in a season in any edition of FM ever. My CM usually always leads the team in assists and that numer is usually anywhere from 12 to 18 

Yeah, I'm sure that's true for you, because you probably don't like to play on the flanks, and that's cool!
But as I replied earlier to Darj:

35 minuti fa, Muja ha scritto:

Just check the top assist-men of your league right now. 
I have zero doubts most of them will be full-backs and wingers.

9 minutes ago, Muja said:

There you have it. If you remove the corners, he'd be making about 3 - 4 assists per season. Maybe a bit more, but that's the average.
If you want him to make even more, give the instruction to make forward runs to ONE of your DMS.
That'll make your AMC shift a bit to the side, where he'll be able to make more assists.

I've done countless tests. It appears evident to me that most assists come from the flanks or from deep, very very rarely from just outside the penalty box.
So you want your AMC to be in one of the "hot zones".

Of course, that only applies if you're as obsessed as I am and want to see more incisive passes and creative plays from your AMC in open play. If your tactic is already bringing you satisfaction, there's no reason to change it - everyone plays as they want! :D 

Thank you very much for sharing your tactic, btw!

No problem.  I mix things up depending on how games are going so I sometimes have one of the DMs switch to a Segundo Volante (AT) which changes the thrust of the attack - probably gives the effect you're talking about with the AMC shifting to the side.

@Dadecane @DarJ

Case in point, here's the leaderboard for assist-makers in my current save:

The top is Chalanoglu, playing as a CM for Inter - coincidentally, he's also leading in the expected assists for set pieces.

Dimarco, Di Lorenzo, Dumfries are full-backs. Brekalo is a winger.
Not a single one of them plays as an AMC in their team.

And if we look at the key passes leaderboard, it's even more apparent:
Dumfries, Dimarco, Di Lorenzo, Ruggeri, Hernandez... they're all wingbacks.
Once again, no AMC.

Schermata 2023-12-03 alle 18.40.31.png

Schermata 2023-12-03 alle 18.49.48.png

Edited by Muja

Just to add to the discussion on AMCs, here's my AMC. Of course he's young and he's not physical at all, but he is definetely a specialist for making assists as a number 10. I tried many roles and instructions, and only got him to score by using an attacking role, but I never got to  make him give assists that one expects from a number 10 (ie. assists from outside the box). I was so desperate to get him to provide assists that I successfully trained him as a Full back and he indeed makes amazing passes and crosses in this position. He even got the traits to cross like an elegant full back hahahaha. 

He is only 21 years old and I wish I could get him to play like a Riquelme, a Alex, a Zidane, whatever, because that is something I've been trying to do in the last few FM versions but never been successfull to accomplish.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by Rodrigogc

4 minuti fa, Rodrigogc ha scritto:

I wish I could get him to play like a Riquelme, a Alex, a Zidane, whatever, because that is something I've been trying to do in the last few FM versions but never been successfull to accomplish.

Hang in there, I think I've found the solution(s). 
Currently doing more tests to confirm my findings.