Football Manager 2024 Official Feedback Thread

3 hours ago, Ostemad said:

image.thumb.png.a1b88a84c566113b34592fe147a7acb5.png

The board keep rejecting my requests to improve the youth facilities, with the reason being they would rather have me buy players than hoping someone comes through the youth team.

Yet I keep failing their expextations to develop the best youth system in the world, and the board culture is that I should develop players using the club's youth system:

image.thumb.png.811de8153d95423d6d1a886c5d4fe15b.png

The balance is +400 million punds in the green, hence such a small investement should not even be for discussion.

You should repost this as a bug on the bug report forum. It's one of many things that need looking at. 

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly so many of my minor grievances have existed in FM for years at this point so I won't touch on them, but something that really does grate is goalkeepers.

What makes a good goalkeeper on this game? Because I can't tell at this point, and I don't feel like their ability is judged like other players. As far as I can see the balance is that if my team performs well, my keeper will be a sieve for the few shots he faces. If we're crap then he remembers how to save shots. I can only guess that the better your keeper is, while individually he may not perform great, the overall performance of the team will be better. 

I also have to touch on it, but the sheer amount of highlights beginning with throw ins and corners. I understand highlights have to start somewhere and dead balls are naturally a good point, but it's silly at points. As a second division side, we played a Barcelona team that played a Brazilian box formation with the likes of Fati, Lewa, Pedri, Gavi and for 60 minutes every highlight bar 2 started from a throw in or a corner. I was hoping to see the difference of levels between the two teams, and instead all I got was Barcelona's silky footballers doing their best peak Tony Pulis impression. They should've sliced and diced us. 

Don't get me wrong, a lot of the new animations look good and at times the ME plays very well, but when it's off it's an incredibly tedious watch. 

20 minutes ago, Nator said:

But the theory isn't wrong, is it? You go two nil up, you sit more defensively so you can counter attack when they flood forward.

Yeah, it's wrong :D Changes in Mentality are huge, to drop from Positive to Defensive is a huge change to make to your team. Asking them to play front foot football they're used to one minute then unfamiliar, negative football the next 

A role change or a couple of TI changes is usually enough to see out a game rather than change pretty much everything about your tactic in one click 

23 minutes ago, Nator said:

So perhaps it's the mechanics of the game that are problematic, rather than people trying to do what I would suggest is correct.

The importance of mentality has been harped on about for years, I think it's more people not fully understanding it is the problem

Has anyone figured out a way to stop the AI with their attacking throw in routine where they always cross it to the far post and win the header and score?  For some reason it always seems to be a big striker/winger against my left defender who has 5 for jumping and 6 for bravery and 6 for heading. You can imagine what happens almost every time this sequence plays out, and i dread it happening. Sometimes I get unfortunate and they score two goals in a game via this method. Despite my best efforts, I cannot seem to make a centre back or tall player take up this position. the only option seems to be buying a giant left back to counter this scripted scenario. 

Edited by TheMattB81

I think we’re largely saying the same thing. Closing the game out, you choose to be less aggressive - but FM doesn’t always reward that, in fact it encourages more pressure etc.

Again, I’ve found it more pronounced away from home which should favour a more defensive style of football, but FM doesn’t allow for as easily.

The whole ‘mentality’ is problematic because people are trying to do which in a football sense is logical, but FM isn’t football.

38 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Yeah, it's wrong :D Changes in Mentality are huge, to drop from Positive to Defensive is a huge change to make to your team. Asking them to play front foot football they're used to one minute then unfamiliar, negative football the next 

A role change or a couple of TI changes is usually enough to see out a game rather than change pretty much everything about your tactic in one click 

The importance of mentality has been harped on about for years, I think it's more people not fully understanding it is the problem

16 minutes ago, RDF Tactics said:

Fully with Johnny here. If you’re 2-0 up, the last thing you want to do is go defensive from attacking - you end up inviting pressure while the AI are throwing bodies forward. You’re playing in their hands. If you are going to change mentality, maybe try not to do a drastic change (like attacking to defensive). Attacking to positive wouldn’t be a huge shock to the system.

always keep your eyes on the momentum, too. But when 2-0 up, I tend to reduce the attacking/support mentalities on player roles.

Of course it’s all dependant on your tactic at the time. I like to play with ‘pass into space’ and sometimes ‘run at defence’. These automatically get switched off when trying to protect a lead to help with ball retention.

There are some misconceptions about Team Mentalities.

id always recommend saving a tactical slot for a “close the game out” tactic. Least that way you can also train that tactic and again, wouldn’t be a massive shock to your team when you do switch in-game 

Absolutely, if the AI is coming at you then there is space to exploit. If you have a support striker, switch them to something like an advanced forward, drop an attacking wide role or two to support and hit early crosses. I dont even change mentality 

12 minutes ago, RDF Tactics said:

Fully with Johnny here. If you’re 2-0 up, the last thing you want to do is go defensive from attacking - you end up inviting pressure while the AI are throwing bodies forward. You’re playing in their hands. If you are going to change mentality, maybe try not to do a drastic change (like attacking to defensive). Attacking to positive wouldn’t be a huge shock to the system.

always keep your eyes on the momentum, too. But when 2-0 up, I tend to reduce the attacking/support mentalities on player roles.

Of course it’s all dependant on your tactic at the time. I like to play with ‘pass into space’ and sometimes ‘run at defence’. These automatically get switched off when trying to protect a lead to help with ball retention.

There are some misconceptions about Team Mentalities.

id always recommend saving a tactical slot for a “close the game out” tactic. Least that way you can also train that tactic and again, wouldn’t be a massive shock to your team when you do switch in-game 

While I agree, the problem here, as usual, is that the game itself doesn't present mentality in that way. 

The description the game gives of a defensive mentality mentions keeping men back, restricting space, slowing things down and frustrating the opponent. It goes as far as saying it relies on direct balls to forwards and then sharp and quick passing from there to score on the counter. Those are all things you want when the opposition begin throwing men forward.

For more experienced players like us, we know what mentality is. But it's no surprise people still go to mentality for things like that when the game presents mentality as such.

36 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Agree with this, understand why it can be confusing. But I tend not to touch mentallity and if i do it's only ever a slight tweak for example from positive to balanced etc. I prefer to use TI tweaks and roles (for example, slow tempo, slow pace down, timewaste, then use some subs)  change a role for example fullback from attack to support, drop a press line down by one and same for the amount of pressing and sometimes will sacrifice an attacker for a DM or a CB.

37 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

This is mostly true when working with mentalities below Positive and when going down the ladder.  Going Positive -> Attacking has been quite effective when down 1-0 for a while; that's been my go-to change without any PI/role/duty swaps.  But this is all of a piece with the complaints about Gegenpressing being too effective, players being too passive and so on.  Going from Attacking to Defensive, more than anything else, is a set of teamwide instructions asking your players to do less stuff in every part of the game, and unless your tactics have been designed from the ground up for lower mentalities they're not going to work for all the same reasons people complain that defensive tactics generally don't work.

Confused by the sub players becoming unhappy due to lack of playing time when I didn't promise anything...

Playing squad of only 23... 5 injuries - 2 long term

First 11 I can't drop as all over 7.14

3 Subs all asking for loan moves which I have to agree too or they kick off if I refuse, but I need them as I can't fill a full match squad, Surely they should recognise..1, Small squad(more chance of playing time) 2, I need a full bench, 3 Even when I select (Prove yourself) they get offended?

Baffled by this one

On 18/11/2023 at 04:24, Viking said:

So, in summary: A player signs a contract where he agrees that the club has the right to extend it by a year. Two years later the club extends the contract by a year. The players says he wants a new contract and gets one. When the new contract is signed he suddenly gets unhappy because the previous contract was extended and he wants to leave the club.

Is there an example of this happening in real life?

I think they key here is that the player agreed to the new contract, but he hasn't signed it yet, otherwise the ability to extend would not be available, right?

If Contract A is the one with the extension, and he is offered contract B which has better terms but hasn't signed it yet, then when extended under the terms of Contract A, he's not getting anything from Contract B, right? I can see a player being upset by that, especially if the terms in Contract B were a lot better.

7 minutes ago, Jellico73 said:

I think they key here is that the player agreed to the new contract, but he hasn't signed it yet, otherwise the ability to extend would not be available, right?

If Contract A is the one with the extension, and he is offered contract B which has better terms but hasn't signed it yet, then when extended under the terms of Contract A, he's not getting anything from Contract B, right? I can see a player being upset by that, especially if the terms in Contract B were a lot better.

You've got the timeline wrong.

The player agrees to Contract A.  Two years pass.  The extension on Contract A is triggered.  The player asks for a new contract.  The player is offered and signs Contract B, taking both Contract A and Extension A out of play completely.  The player then becomes unhappy that the extension of Contract A was triggered.

5 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Except i haven shut anyone out. If peole want to understand why something is the way it is, thats why. Im not going to say something different from the reasoning, to make some feel better if thats not true. 

SI are happy with the variation in their numbers (and the numbers seem to vary from normal to obscene depending on user). Ultimately these shots need to be missing the goal, rather than going in. So if you've got something that is variable, you're happy with internally, but is subjective enough to vary massively from user to user, you've got a complex issue to balance that actually overall in their view is a low priority issue. And as its an endpoint issue (ie dependent on attacking balances etc) its difficult to balance every release. SI are looking into defensive AI, which will change shooting, which impact woodworks. How, remains to be seen

On "You" I definitely didn't mean you particularly, SI in general. But this topic was always shunned, and nothing changed since 4 years. I once (for FM19 I remember) had a topic, collected pkms, screenshots, evidences for weeks/months, and then eventually it got simply deleted. Next year I've been told you're happy with the numbers as it reflects real life. Well, I wasn't, hitting 4 of them a game, and racked up 3 times more than PL average from Opta. Then that was the end of it. And seeing it still being an issue is really hard to swallow.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb limey150781:

This type of "feedback" is always much favourite. Such BS. 

There is honest feedback posted and your comment is not frank but arrogant!

Ofc there are Teams in FM that have such a status they wont feel it as they dominate their leagues and outinvest randomness...but that is a fraction of the teams available.

This FM24 has quite an emphasis on comeback situations where teams come up again from 2 or 3 goals behind - the thing is you need to outscore them as you can not outdefend them!

The GKs in the AI-Teams overperform compared to the quality GK the human player needs to get the same result - only in the extremes you see AI-GK values matter...

Sometimes there are matches when the general variables are set such that you know quite soon you wont score a goal today no mater what and you will miss every penaltey and every 1000% chance you get and the only hope is you can keep the oponent from scoring - still you can not play more defensive bcs that increases the pressure on your backline, the time of the ball near you own goal and the possibility to have your midfield or defense make a fatal error gifting the oponent an easy goal.

Its all legit feedback!

Edited by Etebaer

10 minutes ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

You've got the timeline wrong.

The player agrees to Contract A.  Two years pass.  The extension on Contract A is triggered.  The player asks for a new contract.  The player is offered and signs Contract B, taking both Contract A and Extension A out of play completely.  The player then becomes unhappy that the extension of Contract A was triggered.

Similar things happen here with the NFL and the Franchise player rule.  In this case The player wanted a new contract but the club was fine extending his current deal, only agreeing to a new one after the player asked.  Player probably feels he should have been offered a new contract without the extension being triggered first.  I suspect there are some things going on with the players hidden attributes that are coming into play as well.

1 minute ago, Jellico73 said:

Similar things happen here with the NFL and the Franchise player rule.  In this case The player wanted a new contract but the club was fine extending his current deal, only agreeing to a new one after the player asked.  Player probably feels he should have been offered a new contract without the extension being triggered first.  I suspect there are some things going on with the players hidden attributes that are coming into play as well.

The difference is that the contract was extended before the player asked for a new contract, but the player became unhappy after the new contract was signed.  Contact -> extension -> request -> new contract -> new contract signed -> player unhappy about original contract.  (The Franchise Player tag is a separate contract, rather than an extension, and it's mandatory.  If offered and refused, the player has to sit the season out.  I don't think it's a great comparison.)  I think, given the number of other problems with player happiness and sequencing in this game, that the most likely explanation is simply that it's a bug.

1 hour ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

The difference is that the contract was extended before the player asked for a new contract, but the player became unhappy after the new contract was signed.  Contact -> extension -> request -> new contract -> new contract signed -> player unhappy about original contract.  (The Franchise Player tag is a separate contract, rather than an extension, and it's mandatory.  If offered and refused, the player has to sit the season out.  I don't think it's a great comparison.)  I think, given the number of other problems with player happiness and sequencing in this game, that the most likely explanation is simply that it's a bug.

I think the comparison is apt because its usually a player at the end of his contract wanting a new one but being franchised before getting one, if he does.  He can still sign the new contract, but be upset he was franchised in the first place, right?

Same thing here, the player signed the new contract, is there a reason he shouldn't be upset the original was extended, or should a new contract 'reset' everything just because? 

If he got a new contract out of it, why didn't the club offer him a new contract first, instead of triggering the extension?  Maybe that's what he's upset about?

I bought my first new FM in years as I have been keeping an older version of the game up to date and enjoyed playing that for many years. After a couple of weeks of spending time getting the game ready for my first save I have to say I am very disappointed in the accuracy of the database. I put up a post a couple of weeks ago highlighting the duplication of transfer percentages and some of the missing data. I know a patch was sent down to fix some of these issues but there is far too much missing data. Its just an unfinished database. I have posted a couple of examples on the bugs forum, mainly about the Scottish league, but its everywhere. I honestly don't understand how basic information, which is available, is just left blank in the database.  If a researcher cant tell you what foot a player plays with or indeed what position they play, how can they set a potential or current ability?

2 hours ago, Etebaer said:

There is honest feedback posted and your comment is not frank but arrogant!

Ofc there are Teams in FM that have such a status they wont feel it as they dominate their leagues and outinvest randomness...but that is a fraction of the teams available.

This FM24 has quite an emphasis on comeback situations where teams come up again from 2 or 3 goals behind - the thing is you need to outscore them as you can not outdefend them!

The GKs in the AI-Teams overperform compared to the quality GK the human player needs to get the same result - only in the extremes you see AI-GK values matter...

Sometimes there are matches when the general variables are set such that you know quite soon you wont score a goal today no mater what and you will miss every penaltey and every 1000% chance you get and the only hope is you can keep the oponent from scoring - still you can not play more defensive bcs that increases the pressure on your backline, the time of the ball near you own goal and the possibility to have your midfield or defense make a fatal error gifting the oponent an easy goal.

Its all legit feedback!

It's not legit because it isn't true. 

4 hours ago, Kilmarnock said:

I bought my first new FM in years as I have been keeping an older version of the game up to date and enjoyed playing that for many years. After a couple of weeks of spending time getting the game ready for my first save I have to say I am very disappointed in the accuracy of the database. I put up a post a couple of weeks ago highlighting the duplication of transfer percentages and some of the missing data. I know a patch was sent down to fix some of these issues but there is far too much missing data. Its just an unfinished database. I have posted a couple of examples on the bugs forum, mainly about the Scottish league, but its everywhere. I honestly don't understand how basic information, which is available, is just left blank in the database.  If a researcher cant tell you what foot a player plays with or indeed what position they play, how can they set a potential or current ability?

At least two of Barnsley's side who IRL are black appear as white in the match engine.

Which in the current day and age is pretty important information you'd think they'd bother to get right in the database.

Edited by kiwityke1983

Holiday-ed for a year, took over a club where all the players are demanding a better contract and increased status even though 1) they're 2-stars or less 2) they averaged around a 6.0 for the season and 3) only made 3-5 appearances in the preceding season. When I go to negotiate they want 3x what they were making...if you only averaged a 6.0 for the season, I should be CUTTING your wage, not tripling it. They can kick off as much as they like, no one wants them even for free. 

23 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

Go to the options and search for language in the search bar, change it to British English from American English.

It will now use English terms instead of American.

Cheers. Bizarre move that it defaulted to "american english"

• Spanish release clauses being stuck 10 years in the past so any decent player gets poached for 30 mil from outside the league and players with 1 bil IRL clauses get their contracts renewed to 150 mil clauses so PL  teams can pick them more easily

13 hours ago, TheMattB81 said:

Has anyone figured out a way to stop the AI with their attacking throw in routine where they always cross it to the far post and win the header and score?  For some reason it always seems to be a big striker/winger against my left defender who has 5 for jumping and 6 for bravery and 6 for heading. You can imagine what happens almost every time this sequence plays out, and i dread it happening. Sometimes I get unfortunate and they score two goals in a game via this method. Despite my best efforts, I cannot seem to make a centre back or tall player take up this position. the only option seems to be buying a giant left back to counter this scripted scenario. 

I think this is a bug which we hope to be resolved in the near future

20 minutes ago, MrPompey said:

I think this is a bug which we hope to be resolved in the near future

I hope that's the case, cheers for the reply. It's the one thing that's really bugging me about the game, as I can't do anything to stop it. 

Haven't played as much FM the last 5-6 years as I used to, and only buying every other year. I had no plans to buy FM again until tactical part was improved. I accidently came upon a post here, about the new changes to player roles (horisontal and vertical movement) in FM24, which is the only reason I bought FM24 - and I'm LOVING it!

Being able to replicate many of the exciting new tactics (Pep, Zerbi, Ange, Alonso, michel etc) or even old classical ones, makes it way more fun. It still lacks a few roles, but it's a great start. Very hyped to see what other roles are introduced. 

It's really enjoyable to watch the games with the upgraded visuals and the intelligent movement of the players. Good job, SI.

7 hours ago, glenjamin said:

This is absolutely appalling that I'm once again being made to wait for the game to be fixed before starting a long term save. 

It's the same cycle every year:

1) SI announce the launch date for the latest FM and so begins the list of new features and enhancements. Begin to get excited despite promising myself I wouldn't invest in another edition after all the issues last year. 

2) Beta is released and the first couple of days feedback is positive. Match engine looks to be finally fixed. I go against my gut and pre order the game. 

3) People start to notice the same bugs that have been around for the last few editions. Large criticism ensues on the forums regarding the match engine, AI, lack of improvements to international football, player unhappiness, etc. 

4) Game is released on schedule. Large percentage of die hard players are in agreement it's no where near ready. I decide to wait for a patch before beginning my long term save, so I mess around with the editor in the meantime. 

5) A minor patch is released but it does very little to improve the overall aspect of the game. 

6) A larger patch is released just before Christmas. Some bugs have been fixed, others haven't, the game remains largely unplayable so again I decide to wait. 

7) Another minor patch is released mid January. 

8) It's now March and the main patch is released. The game isn't perfect but it's playable - 4 months after release. I finally get a chance to play knowing that there won't be any major updates that will disrupt my save. Begin to really enjoy it but disappointed it's taken this long. Hope SI have learned from this and the next edition will as good as the game is now with just some small cosmetic improvements. 

9) Return to point number 1. 

*Please be the year the cycle is broken, SI. I really don't want to have to wait until March for the match engine to stop being tinkered with, and all the necessary bugs to be removed*

While you are 100% correct on the lifecycle you describe, the decision on not playing and what level of realism you expect and tolerance you have is subjective. I personally find this years game quite good/stable, despite the many bugs (we are used to as FM fans). I still play and enjoy it (also compared to previous editions).

7 hours ago, glenjamin said:

This is absolutely appalling that I'm once again being made to wait for the game to be fixed before starting a long term save. 

1) SI announce the launch date for the latest FM and so begins the list of new features and enhancements. Begin to get excited despite promising myself I wouldn't invest in another edition after all the issues last year. 

2) Beta is released and the first couple of days feedback is positive. Match engine looks to be finally fixed. I go against my gut and pre order the game. 

3) People start to notice the same bugs that have been around for the last few editions. Large criticism ensues on the forums regarding the match engine, AI, lack of improvements to international football, player unhappiness, etc. 

4) Game is released on schedule. Large percentage of die hard players are in agreement it's no where near ready. I decide to wait for a patch before beginning my long term save, so I mess around with the editor in the meantime. 

5) A minor patch is released but it does very little to improve the overall aspect of the game. 

6) A larger patch is released just before Christmas. Some bugs have been fixed, others haven't, the game remains largely unplayable so again I decide to wait. 

8) It's now March and the main patch is released. The game isn't perfect but it's playable - 4 months after release. I finally get a chance to play knowing that there won't be any major updates that will disrupt my save. Begin to really enjoy it but disappointed it's taken this long. Hope SI have learned from this and the next edition will as good as the game is now with just some small cosmetic improvements. 

*Please be the year the cycle is broken, SI. I really don't want to have to wait until March for the match engine to stop being tinkered with, and all the necessary bugs to be removed*

Might argue the problem is #2

8 hours ago, glenjamin said:

I don't think it's correct to say it's the usual cycle.

We usually see significant changes from the Beta to full release for a fair few of the major issues. We haven't had that so far a couple of weeks on.

6 minutes ago, Bahoi said:

Also, check the conversion rates, and xG-overperformance by each team. It's not only you, everyone is overperforming. 

Still we are in the dark about whether this is considered normal or not by the ones administering the ME. 

Yep, sadly not great at the minute.

charlton1.png

charlton2.png

I'm actually quite enjoying playing the game, I decided to give FM23 a miss as I wanted a break from the game and football in general wasn't much fun last season (my avatar will explain why).

So I was ready for a return this year and whilst certain things are grinding my gears, mostly around player happiness and, in my opinion, ridiculous demands and extreme reactions etc. I'm feeling quite positive about the rest of it.

Matches are in the main enjoyable, look better than FM22 did and whilst I agree that scoring goals is too easy I don't think that makes it unplayable, I just accept it for what it is in the  world of FM and wait for it to be tweaked. Would be different of course if the AI wasn't producing similar scorelines as well but it does seem to be a general trend.

Also agree it does appear to be a combination of an increase in clear cut chances and poor defending, which then also contributes to the number of chances hitting the woodwork (I had six in one match but was winning easily so it was more amusing than anything else) to reduce the amount of goals as the defence has parted like the Red Sea again.

I usually wait until the December update every release before doing a serious long term save anyway for the data update but I can still have some fun with it now.

Fix the above and also give the manager some more sensible options to respond to players with and then I will be extremely pleased with this edition.