Football Manager 2024 Official Feedback Thread

1 hour ago, RDF Tactics said:

For me, I wouldn't say the ME has gone backwards. Worst case is static but in my experience, it's slightly better.

Many of the highlights are the same, though. I know some of the que's like AI having a highlight right after I score, it's an instant reply goal and nothing else. They'll never miss. Or in FM24, playing a City or Liverpool, too many occasions they score and then score another goal 1min later. Many highlights are predictable.

Set-piece where you defend the original delivery but then NOBODY presses the player on the ball and allows him to run freely at goal. That's been happening and reported in previous editions. This year they've added new stuff but the old stuff is still a big part of the game.

The player movements and graphics have certainly improved. Most other things I've seen in previous FMs if I'm honest.

I'm talking about the tactical balance, which for me has regressed because gegenpressing seems vastly overpowered again compared to how it was end of FM23.

This 24 version, just whack up the defensive line and LOE and if you got a half decent side you're onto a winner.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, DarJ said:

I don't think you believe that. There is a reason transfers is a big part of the game 

Agreed. And I find certain attributes such as Concentration, Agility, Decisions…important for top leagues. And that’s not to say your whole 11 should be good at everything, of course not.

you will come across some players that for whatever reason will play out of their skin. That’s a beauty of the game. But overall, attributes for sure matters. You know the difference when you have a CB who’s good in the air vs not good in the air lol

7 minutes ago, g1nh0 said:

I'm talking about the tactical balance, which for me has regressed because gegenpressing seems vastly overpowered again compared to how it was end of FM23.

This 24 version, just whack up the defensive line and LOE and if you got a half decent side you're onto a winner.

I don’t think it’s overpowered in the sense you’re saying, though. My post was to show that even though I have these instructions set, we aren’t necessarily “gegenpressing”. 

you can whack your LOE high but then watch the 90mins. You will come away from the game knowing your teams LOE wasnt always high. I also showed how we’ve been a really good mid block team despite setting high pressing instructions. Visa Versa, I have a mid block tactic that massively overachieved. Looking at that data and high pressing data, we have less yellows, give away less fouls etc….but possessions won is roughly the same. Where we gained possession was the same, in our own half rather than AIs half.

I do also think this is an issue.

but I wouldn’t say Gegenpress is OP when itself doesn’t actually work in the way it’s intended.

2 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Had some hours of planned internet downtime due to infrastructure replacements etc.

What else to do offline these days, but play FM?

Apparently not.

Untitled.png.3cae904d32d00b626423e361f18be186.png

This infuriated me so much I would've refunded the game if I still could.

First launch? I've got 50h on the record already.

FM is fully mainstream these days, I guess.

I`m playing FM19, and it`s still making me go online, every few weeks. I also played FM21, but that hasn`t yet

It might be tied into steam updates in general, but it`s still annoying.

Oh, and I also get a ton of windows error reports with this, hundreds of kb`s worth every time.

Edited by Evan_Wylde

1 minute ago, RDF Tactics said:

but I wouldn’t say Gegenpress is OP when itself doesn’t actually work in the way it’s intended.

Again, it's like everything is described as being a notch higher than it actually is, like a clock that's set an hour fast.  And the reason all the "do more things" instructions work is that by default players do not do enough things, and getting them to do more makes them more effective.  That is my #1 complaint and has been for several versions: players have to opportunity to do something, whether it's a shot or a tackle or a pass or an off-the-ball movement, and choose not to in favor of standing off, holding the ball, standing still.

38 minutes ago, Thengil said:

One thing that seems off for me is that even crap teams are great at passing. 

WhatsAppBild2023-11-13kl_22_10.28_bbf838b8.jpg.404ed38a02d34f04e51d376134bc31b7.jpg

This is J-League 2, second season. 3 teams as good as City at passing? The worst team completing 79% of passes is too high. Might explain why defensive tactics do nothing to stop goals coming through. Another thing that seems a bit off is that the finishing is too good - most teams are overperforming vs xG.

Pretty sure SI have basically said they know passing accuracy is too high for certain leagues but that it's too difficult to implement such a variation. So it will basically be left as it is. 

2 hours ago, limey150781 said:

Well I massively disagree with this. It is one of the better things of this ME the variety of goals that strikers are scoring. 

Yeah I second this. my striker in 3rd division had 20 goals first season. Strikers have been my leading scorer in all of my 3 seasons so far. 

7 minutes ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

Again, it's like everything is described as being a notch higher than it actually is, like a clock that's set an hour fast.  And the reason all the "do more things" instructions work is that by default players do not do enough things, and getting them to do more makes them more effective.  That is my #1 complaint and has been for several versions: players have to opportunity to do something, whether it's a shot or a tackle or a pass or an off-the-ball movement, and choose not to in favor of standing off, holding the ball, standing still.

I understand this. Now I do prefer less instructions because in theory, when things aren’t going right, it’s easier to identify and tweak the issues. I end up using more instructions to get more out of players.

But I don’t want to keep putting the game in a negative light. I do enjoy the game. I did take a lot to post what I did because I don’t be that guy bashing the game without anything positive to say. The first week of beta the game felt out of this world but the more I played, the more these stuff became apparent

18 minutes ago, Zapoleon said:

Pretty sure SI have basically said they know passing accuracy is too high for certain leagues but that it's too difficult to implement such a variation. So it will basically be left as it is. 

They said they are more accurate than stat tracking IRL, so the stats aren't 1:1. They said tweaks to the match engine are hard, not the pass variation. Therefore, tweaking the ME to get a realistic pass % isn't a big enough reason. However, the pass % is clearly the result of poor defensive play mixed in with little to no separation of attributes, Where a 4 in passing can be as accurate as an 8 in passing. That example is in simple form, as I know other variables matter.

Edited by Mars_Blackmon

1 hour ago, priority76 said:

I couldn't agree more.  It's an absolute cesspit of negativity.  Go hang out in career updates threads where there are people who appear to be enjoying the game.

I would say thats a bit unfair, there been some good constructive criticism. But i do agree there's also been a fair amount of overkill too

7 minutes ago, RDF Tactics said:

But I don’t want to keep putting the game in a negative light. I do enjoy the game. I did take a lot to post what I did because I don’t be that guy bashing the game without anything positive to say. The first week of beta the game felt out of this world but the more I played, the more these stuff became apparent

I never think about it as bashing the game or showing it in a negative light. It's like telling someone I care about that they need to brush their teeth........ :lol: We don't help the game by pretending issues don't exist or ignoring flaws, we hold it back.

I can see plenty of positive changes in the game, I see the flaws also and I know they'll be working hard to adjust and fix those. I think the biggest gripes for me are always historical bugs and when something that worked previously, either regresses or gets broken. They are harder to take. 

7 minutes ago, janrzm said:

I never think about it as bashing the game or showing it in a negative light. It's like telling someone I care about that they need to brush their teeth........ :lol: We don't help the game by pretending issues don't exist or ignoring flaws, we hold it back.

I can see plenty of positive changes in the game, I see the flaws also and I know they'll be working hard to adjust and fix those. I think the biggest gripes for me are always historical bugs and when something that worked previously, either regresses or gets broken. They are harder to take. 

Very much so on all accounts here. We all want the same thing, with our love for the game to continue to head in the right direction. But when there is a problem or something regresses and needs to be carefully looked at, it needs to be firm and crystal clear for it to be noticed. 

It's another game I feel like last year's, has a lot of potential but there are some fundamental things that prevent it from hitting the level we all desperately want the game to reach.

Player unhappiness really needs sorting out still.

I let my assistant take charge of a league cup game and one of my players was unhappy with his team talk. Just over 2 months later he's finally dropped the issue but another player is now unhappy about that same team talk despite not being unhappy about it during those 2 months

Hi guys 

Where can I report issues with the game? My goalkeepers are still getting injured after the update….

three injuries in less then two months.

what is going on? Honestly I don’t like being negative, and just want to enjoy the game as I have been doing since CM 01/02, but this is really disappointing.

For the sake of balance, since I've been negative about the game today, started a new save with Man U to experiment further with things to make it more enjoyable.

Didn't touch any out of possession tactical stuff. I control transfers in the staff responsibility bit but I only add players to "Transfer Targets", so the DOF does all the negotiating etc., same for selling players.

Drew the first game with Tottenham 2-2, then the second game with Fulham 1-1. Both genuinely enjoyable games that were close and felt like tactical battles. Tottenham seemed to get proper momentum by the end so had me hanging on, Fulham were countering so I had to try and figure out how to break them down. I failed both times but that felt more like a me issue than a game issue. Was able to tweak things well just by changing roles rather than defensive lines.

The DOF managed to sign me Evan Ferguson, but so far has failed entirely to sign me goalkeeper targets so I'm relying on Henderson in goal. Annoying? Yes. Realistic? Also yes. I'm enjoying the fact I will miss out on players.

Only thing ruining one of the most enjoyable saves I've had on FM24 is noticing the high scores elsewhere. Its not a huge issue for the most part, but if my games are going to be realistic while others aren't (Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal all on +10 goal difference after 3 games) then it'll start to grate a bit.

Edited by RandomGuy.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

For the sake of balance, since I've been negative about the game today, started a new save with Man U to experiment further with things to make it more enjoyable.

Didn't touch any out of possession tactical stuff. I control transfers in the staff responsibility bit but I only add players to "Transfer Targets", so the DOF does all the negotiating etc., same for selling players.

Drew the first game with Tottenham 2-2, then the second game with Fulham 1-1. Both genuinely enjoyable games that were close and felt like tactical battles. Tottenham seemed to get proper momentum by the end so had me hanging on, Fulham were countering so I had to try and figure out how to break them down. I failed both times but that felt more like a me issue than a game issue. Was able to tweak things well just by changing roles rather than defensive lines.

The DOF managed to sign me Evan Ferguson, but so far has failed entirely to sign me goalkeeper targets so I'm relying on Henderson in goal. Annoying? Yes. Realistic? Also yes. I'm enjoying the fact I will miss out on players.

Only thing ruining one of the most enjoyable saves I've had on FM24 is noticing the high scores elsewhere. Its not a huge issue for the most part, but if my games are going to be realistic while others aren't (Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal all on +10 goal difference after 3 games) then it'll start to grate a bit.

This is how I've been playing since DOF was introduced. It's frustrating when the DOF can't complete a deal, and the prompt for the manager to try ourselves is very tempting, but I chalk it as a loss.

One thing I haven't decided on yet is whether I leave the playtime and contract at automatic or set parameters. I feel like the DOF sometimes doesn't take into account the already agreed playing time that is on the team, but that could also be me in not going after true backups, as I should be targeting players that are less skilled than my starters.

Edited by Mars_Blackmon

9 hours ago, krkyseventwo said:

That’s me decided to stop playing until changes are made. It’s too easy and not fun. 

I had a Rangers save (British players only challenge) that I had to bin because it was constant 5,6,7 goal wins. Never have I experienced that on FM, despite the gulf in quality with the rest of league apart from Celtic. I also defeated Real Madrid in Champions League knockouts, which brought me no joy because it felt like I didn’t earn it.

So I stared with Bologna. 10 games in, 9 wins and 1 draw. That last victory was 5-1 against Juventus but I also beat Lazio 2-0 away from home. I used a high defensive line and either of a mid or low block, with pressing at all times, regroup and counter selected. 4231. 

I’ve seen countless examples and streams where players are over achieving straight away. Might be fun for some but I like to work hard for my success. It’s not right going into a match hoping I drop points or win by a small margin. 

I won the EPL by dominating from start to finish. Only lost a game after I had already secured the title. Next season I decide to change tactics away from the high line high press. Haven't won any of the first 6 games even though I'm first in the xG table. Season/save kind of ruined now isn't it.

vor 22 Minuten schrieb Mars_Blackmon:

This is how I've been playing since DOF was introduced. It's frustrating when the DOF can't complete a deal, and the prompt for the manager to try ourselves is very tempting, but I chalk it as a loss.

One thing I haven't decided on yet is whether I leave the playtime and contract at automatic or set parameters. I feel like the DOF sometimes doesn't take into account the already agreed playing time that is on the team, but that could also be me in not going after true backups, as I should be targeting players that are less skilled than my starters.

Hm I had a lot of contract renewal requests (over 10) and the DOF was not able to resign any of them. I had to step in every time. Does that happen a lot for you, too?

Might be that i resigned one of my best players initially myself for a wage that was considered too high for the DOF and then every one jumped onto that wagon and the DOF didn't (want to) adjust.

Edited by w3t

53 minutes ago, w3t said:

Hm I had a lot of contract renewal requests (over 10) and the DOF was not able to resign any of them. I had to step in every time. Does that happen a lot for you, too?

Might be that i resigned one of my best players initially myself for a wage that was considered too high for the DOF and then every one jumped onto that wagon and the DOF didn't (want to) adjust.

Resigning hasn't been a problem, but I still play with non-contracts in level 8. The DOF does seem to give my starters a new pay-per-appearance contract every season, though.

Edited by Mars_Blackmon

My friends, I haven't noticed the absurd number of goals that so many report here.

I saw several competitions in the world (1st and 2nd division), I believe that Sigames has to observe the statistics of the championships in the most varied countries: Stronger and fewer leagues... quality of players and also the style of football played in each country.

I created a save with around 145 thousand players, I included the main countries in South America and Europe as well as those in Asia. I'm not finding the game as easy as some report, perhaps the geng press is more facilitating like in other fms, but the game is very responsive, the tactics vary according to the instructions and especially the gameplay is dynamic. I hope Sigames doesn't ruin the game by taking away the fun of the goal and also makes the game unrealistic in favor of difficulty.

3 hours ago, Leon_fogo said:

My friends, I haven't noticed the absurd number of goals that so many report here.

I saw several competitions in the world (1st and 2nd division), I believe that Sigames has to observe the statistics of the championships in the most varied countries: Stronger and fewer leagues... quality of players and also the style of football played in each country.

I created a save with around 145 thousand players, I included the main countries in South America and Europe as well as those in Asia. I'm not finding the game as easy as some report, perhaps the geng press is more facilitating like in other fms, but the game is very responsive, the tactics vary according to the instructions and especially the gameplay is dynamic. I hope Sigames doesn't ruin the game by taking away the fun of the goal and also makes the game unrealistic in favor of difficulty.

Having better defending mechanics and reducing the Set Pieces goals will help bring back some balance. I concede at least 1 goal every 2 games from a defensive throw in one-two (an acknowledged bug SI is working on), usually my opponent's first and sometimes only shot on target.

I also just conceded a goal because my defender chested the ball down undisturbed in the 6 yard box, but decided to stare at it for 3 seconds, the GK didn't move and a striker ran to the ball and scored. I was 7-0 up after scoring 4 set piece goals and it was their first and only shot during the game.

Agreed re match engine. It is looking great and more responsive to tactical changes than the past. Although I agree with RDF, something's not right with pressing/tackling and wingbacks running the whole pitch undisturbed.

Edited by StephenG

4 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

Why can't I set the corner taker to be whoever I want? If I want a short corner the "corner" stat is irrelevant. I want to be able to pick the best dribbler.

you can change the priority order so that your creators are second (after taker)

Into my 4th save on FM24 and second season syndrome has once again hit and I'm just not feeling it as a long term save.

This time I got the Matsumoto job in the J3 league having hit random until I got a Japanese job.

Tipped to come 5th in the league, board wanted us to finish in the top 5.

We won the league pretty easily in the end but it was a pretty fun season with some ups and down.

Second season the board want us to struggle bravely against relegation.

Initially we are tipped to finish mid-table and I actually have an interview at another J2 team who are tipped for promotion.

Having made 12 signings in the summer all but 2 on free transfers.

I am tipped to come 3rd in the league.

I managed to get my entire front 4 have a J1 current ability for the vast cost of 150k pounds!

The team I had interview for went from tipped to finish top 5 to 14th during pre-season.

So much for the AI squad building!

I've now played 8 of a season I'm expected to struggle in...I've won all 8 at a canter.

Usually I'd be loving building such a side that plays my tactics with such aplomb but it just feels so cheap and easy somehow and that's how all 4 of my saves have gone so far, with the only challenge really being dealing with some illogical interaction shenanigans.

8 hours ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

Yeah its great not being able to build a super team easily really. Evan Ferguson and Diogo Costa my main targets for CF and GK. It took him 2 goes to get Ferguson, and then we lost out on Costa to Chelsea as the DOF wouldnt match the wages Chelsea offered. Hes missed out on Raya and Sanchez too, but is trying again.

I set playing time instructions as i think thats realistic? Can imagine a manager telling the club that when asking them to approach a target.

1 hour ago, StephenG said:

@RDF Tactics it's not just you that's Woodwork FC mate. I average 1-3 every single game.

Haha well I have sent in plenty of stuff about woodwork but I also got told the numbers are fine (it certainly isn’t in my opinion).

I sent in plenty of stuff last year. Have done the same this year. Hitting the woodwork 4 times in game 1, 3 times in game 2 and another in game 3 just isn’t right at all. We counted the woodwork before and it was really high. I hope it can be looked at again but little hope with that as told numbers are fine.

maybe it’s also a case they can’t recreate it or it’s simply not happening to everyone. But we can all see it when I play haha and I have all the games.

it’s one of those things where again, you have to just come to peace with it

Edited by RDF Tactics

3 minutes ago, RDF Tactics said:

Haha well I have sent in plenty of stuff about woodwork but I also got told the numbers are fine (it certainly isn’t in my opinion).

I sent in plenty of stuff last year. Have done the same this year. Hitting the woodwork 4 times in game 1, 3 times in game 2 and another in game 3 just isn’t right at all. We counted the woodwork before and it was really high.

I hope it can be looked at again but little hope with that as told numbers are fine

I hit the woodwork a minimum of 3 times per game I once hit it 8. Hitting it 5 times isn't unusual.

And that's just my team not even counting the AI.

How many times do teams hit the woodwork IRL?

I genuinely don't know but I'd be amazed if it's above 1 on average per game in fact I'd be astounded to find it's higher than 0.5 per game in fact.

It's rare to the point of being memorable to see a side hit it more than twice in one match.

2 hours ago, whatsupdoc said:

Why can't I set the corner taker to be whoever I want? If I want a short corner the "corner" stat is irrelevant. I want to be able to pick the best dribbler.

You can, go to your set pieces and attacking corners

Corner1.png.d46c21f630cf2af6517c09c526eae411.png

Click corner taker and there you go

Corner2.png.21609e9e47a62cd140bb83382e39993c.png

image.png.e82942cf3d91a0572cea6c0652fe9f72.pngimage.png.b982ebc6d2b8baf15b187ce92154a79b.pngimage.png.dbe1ec2e5c959214c281049d4a8e7c48.png

so these 3 have back to back to back. 3 games in a row we hit the woodwork two times in the game.

Then we went a couple games without hitting it then bam, back to back to back of hitting it again. Hitting it more than once per game. 

image.png.38edde43d1aace68542a97fd994ebcbe.png

It would be the 2nd year of extensively sending in this stuff but I don’t know. I was told numbers are fine 

8 minutes ago, andu1 said:

Maybe it's because IRL teams don't use ultraattacking 4-2-3-1 ( 2-3-5 ) formations all the time, 90 minutes per game

It doesn’t matter. There’s games where the AI have dominated my team. We hit the woodwork once from our 5 shots while they manage to avoid it with their 15+ shots. As you can see below, away from home, Marseille being the dominant side in game (they dominated momentum too). You’re effectively saying we’re hitting it often because of our tactic - which isn’t true from my experience. Not every save and tactic is the same. Going to LFC trying to play cautiously. Above, you can see we got handled but still managed to hit it.

from our 10 shots in this game, we hit it twice. Whether we’re taking 30 shots or just the 10, we find ourselves hitting it often.

image.png.fe0e5a5b417de79a0bdb8c1996de9bfb.png

Edited by RDF Tactics

36 minutes ago, RDF Tactics said:

I sent in plenty of stuff last year. Have done the same this year. Hitting the woodwork 4 times in game 1, 3 times in game 2 and another in game 3 just isn’t right at all. We counted the woodwork before and it was really high. I hope it can be looked at again but little hope with that as told numbers are fine.

maybe it’s also a case they can’t recreate it or it’s simply not happening to everyone. But we can all see it when I play haha and I have all the games.

it’s one of those things where again, you have to just come to peace with it

it's been an issue for a while and it's very obvious.

22 hours ago, Mst82 said:

Another groin injury :lol::

image.png.e9148d1f6822b07c6014c40f4d3edd85.png

Started an additional save, to observe ME behaviour with a top side, first injury of preseason, guess what it is.........

It's a groin injury!! :hammer:

image.png.f3c822145b0d1941e9a865f3ff572ef0.png