John Mcginn

I've started a couple of games on the beta and both times I've seen John Mcginn on the transfer list at the start of a new game. Seems a bit off to me seeing as he's Aston Villa captain IRL and has some great attributes...

Edited by Billbad

16 minutes ago, Fritz13 said:

Trent AA was listed by Liverpool in Jan 2024 in my save which seemed a bit random.

and Spurs listed Maddison in Dec of 2024.

Crikey! That's not good. The game makers were priding themselves for AI managers decision making. It certainly detracts from the realism. 

The game stops becoming 1:1 from real life the moment you press continue on your first day. I wish people would accept this. There's a massive difference between 'believable' and 'realistic'. As long as the former is adhered to, then there's very little wrong. 

How many things in football over the years continue to surprise everyone? Would Spurs hiring Postecoglu be deemed as realistic six months ago? No. But it was believable as opposed to someone off the street randomly getting the job. If Saudi clubs started signing high profile players on your FM20 save by the time 2023 came along, would that have been deemed as realistic at the time? Again, no, but it's certainly believable given the oil money in the middle east. 

People would enjoy this game a lot more if they stopped obsessing over whether something that happens in game would ever happen in real life. 

John Mcginn either doesnt stack up against the other midfielders in the aston villa squad, so see him as surplus to requirements. Or its some sort of issue with the transfer market with illogical decisions made by football teams. Either way John Mcginn should not be on the transfer list at the start of the game, at no point this summer was aston villa actively trying to sell him and hes been pretty good this season for club and country, maybe a attribute boost needed to bring him in the line with the rest of the midfielders in the squad.

Just now, iAlwaysWin said:

John Mcginn either doesnt stack up against the other midfielders in the aston villa squad, so see him as surplus to requirements. Or its some sort of issue with the transfer market with illogical decisions made by football teams. Either way John Mcginn should not be on the transfer list at the start of the game, at no point this summer was aston villa actively trying to sell him and hes been pretty good this season for club and country, maybe a attribute boost needed to bring him in the line with the rest of the midfielders in the squad.

When Gerrard was there, he was almost on the way out as his form dropped off a cliff. Things change in football all the time. 

Just now, Dagenham_Dave said:

When Gerrard was there, he was almost on the way out as his form dropped off a cliff. Things change in football all the time. 

But as soon as you load any game or any league the same transfer list is set everytime, your point of view would be more acceptable once the game world continues weeks or even months, as soon as you load your game thats as real life comparision as your going to get, and John Mcginn on the transfer list is not comparable to real life simulation.

1 minute ago, iAlwaysWin said:

John Mcginn on the transfer list is not comparable to real life simulation.

But it's not a real life simulation. It's a strategy game that uses real life teams and players. Also, it's AI managers, not real people. 

I've not looked at McGinn's attributes in game, but it could be that his attributes simply don't fit into the tactic the AI manager of Aston Villa wants to play, or that there are better players in his position. 

Again, it's maybe not ultra realistic, but it's certainly believable.

Just now, Dagenham_Dave said:

But it's not a real life simulation. It's a strategy game that uses real life teams and players. Also, it's AI managers, not real people. 

I've not looked at McGinn's attributes in game, but it could be that his attributes simply don't fit into the tactic the AI manager of Aston Villa wants to play, or that there are better players in his position. 

Again, it's maybe not ultra realistic, but it's certainly believable.

so you be happy by your logic that everytime you load a new game, mbappe, halaand, vini jr and saka where all transfer listed at a reduce cost? because its not a real life simluation.

Tbf a club's regular starting captain being on the transfer list at the start of the game is the sort of thing researchers are supposed to avoid (by tweaking reputation, positional familiarity with how a manager uses them etc if necessary). It can be reported in the Data Issues forum

Trent getting transfer listed months later because of something that's happened in game is quite different (and sounds about as unlikely as... Henderson leaving to go to Saudi :))

Edited by enigmatic

Just now, iAlwaysWin said:

so you be happy by your logic that everytime you load a new game, mbappe, halaand, vini jr and saka where all transfer listed at a reduce cost? because its not a real life simluation.

Well no, because Haaland being transfer listed at the start of the game wouldn't be believable, given he's the best striker in the world and he's not long joined the club. I'm a massive fan of John McGinn but even my Tartan tinted specs would never class him in that bracket. Mbappe would be a possibility though given his talent and the league he plays in. Who knows? There's a multitude of things that have happened in football over the last few years that very few people would ever have predicted. 

But the key point is understanding the difference between realistic and believable. 

5 minutes ago, steff91 said:

Play the game and get on with it cmon'

It really doesn't bother me at all if John Mcginn is on the transfer market or not because i dont really rate him as a player i would buy, but if it was like say Halaand, you would get alot more complaints, thats not to say John Mcginn is as valauble to Aston Villa as Halaand is to Man City but you get my point.

Edited by iAlwaysWin

17 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

The game stops becoming 1:1 from real life the moment you press continue on your first day. I wish people would accept this. There's a massive difference between 'believable' and 'realistic'. As long as the former is adhered to, then there's very little wrong. 

How many things in football over the years continue to surprise everyone? Would Spurs hiring Postecoglu be deemed as realistic six months ago? No. But it was believable as opposed to someone off the street randomly getting the job. If Saudi clubs started signing high profile players on your FM20 save by the time 2023 came along, would that have been deemed as realistic at the time? Again, no, but it's certainly believable given the oil money in the middle east. 

People would enjoy this game a lot more if they stopped obsessing over whether something that happens in game would ever happen in real life. 

I get that having played FM for numerous years. It just doesn't sit right that Trent, Maddison & Mcginn would be on the list as quickly as that. IMO, it just doesn't feel realistic. I thought the new, improved FM was aiming for better AI managers decisions? Worringly, that just seems like after one season, you can pick up British International quality players at a knock down price. Which means the game becomes too easy again after a few seasons. Hardly bodes well for a challenging, long-term save...

2 minutes ago, Billbad said:

I get that having played FM for numerous years. It just doesn't sit right that Trent, Maddison & Mcginn would be on the list as quickly as that. IMO, it just doesn't feel realistic. I thought the new, improved FM was aiming for better AI managers decisions? Worringly, that just seems like after one season, you can pick up British International quality players at a knock down price. Which means the game becomes too easy again after a few seasons. Hardly bodes well for a challenging, long-term save...

You know you don't have to sign them, right?

1 hour ago, Billbad said:

I've started a couple of games on the beta and both times I've seen John Mcginn on the transfer list at the start of a new game. Seems a bit off to me seeing as he's Aston Villa captain IRL and has some great attributes...

34 minutes ago, Trucce said:

You should report it as a bug in the correct part of the forum if you think something is wrong.

https://community.sigames.com/bugtracker/football-manager-2024-early-access-bugs-tracker/transfers-scouting-contracts-and-agentsintermediaries/

Have actually raised this is the correct place already, had a reply as well

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

You know you don't have to sign them, right?

True. But why wouldn't you? Great players. I'm more bothered about the AI trying to sell good players one season in. I like a bit of escapism but it just doesn't seem realistic. I appreciate Mcginn struggled a wee bit with form at the back of last season, but he's Villas captain. In game & real life. Plus his stats are great and he's only 28. It just doesn't feel right. Arguments aside, Trent & Maddison on the list in 2024 just seems off...

Edited by Billbad

1 hour ago, Billbad said:

True. But why wouldn't you? Great players. I'm more bothered about the AI trying to sell good players one season in. I like a bit of escapism but it just doesn't seem realistic. I appreciate Mcginn struggled a wee bit with form at the back of last season, but he's Villas captain. In game & real life. Plus his stats are great and he's only 28. It just doesn't feel right. Arguments aside, Trent & Maddison on the list in 2024 just seems off...

Trent has a contract until 2025, for all we know negotiations broke down at which point him being transfer listed isn't that strange.

As for Maddison, we're talking 1.5 years into the game, a lot could have changed. Spurs might just be on a poor run so Maddison wants out, perhaps due to the number of players Spurs have in the centre he isn't getting absolute Star Player game time and is complaining, maybe he had a row with the trainer because he didn't like his team talks, I really wouldn't take too much from a single save where after one and a half years some stuff happens.

Only issue I see is McGinn being apparently an auto transfer list, but the researchers also seem aware of that already, so that will probably be adjusted for the official release.