Is possession calculated differently from FM23?

I like playing possession football but the possession stat seems to vary wildly during the match and from game to game.

I watch the game and I seem to have lots of the ball but it shows it at about 30% and vice versa. In FM 23 I could consistently get around 64% even against better teams but in FM24 despite playing for possession against much weaker teams I'm only getting possession in the 30's, even at home.

I'm sure it's just confirmation bias or tactics but has anyone else noticed anything different?

Edited by gunnersguy

• gunnersguy changed the title to Is possession calculated differently from FM23?

interesting, glad it's not just me. The issues raised are almost identical to mine.  I can get 70% plus against teams that are a similar level to mine but struggle to get 40% at home to a bottom half of the table team that just aim to counterattack.

Long-term possession football in FM I have found to be maddeningly difficult, you can completely dominate a world-class team one game then the next you can barely touch the ball against a counter-attacking team like Nottingham Forest.