How to create different tactical styles?

So hear me out, as I ramble on about my current thinking. When I normally create tactics I don't really have a tactical style in mind I just put something together and hope it works out, which sounds crazy I know considering you should always have some kind of idea on how you want to play. So, I recently came across this well put together post on twitter. 

Here is the post. 

What this shows is the different attributes needed for certain tactical styles, but my confusion is how do you create these styles is it through your role choices, team instructions or what? For example in the post it says normal approach for one of the styles but what would that even look like in game? I have seen many people on here who are amazing at making tactics recreate certain real life tactics and even some that take inspo and come up with their own tactic, always with a style in mind.

If anyone could help me with this or even allow me to better understand that would be helpful, especially going into FM24 and the new exciting features I wanna take my tactic making to the next level.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, silentventus said:

So hear me out, as I ramble on about my current thinking. When I normally create tactics I don't really have a tactical style in mind I just put something together and hope it works out, which sounds crazy I know considering you should always have some kind of idea on how you want to play. So, I recently came across this well put together post on twitter. 

Here is the post. 

What this shows is the different attributes needed for certain tactical styles, but my confusion is how do you create these styles is it through your role choices, team instructions or what? For example in the post it says normal approach for one of the styles but what would that even look like in game? I have seen many people on here who are amazing at making tactics recreate certain real life tactics and even some that take inspo and come up with their own tactic, always with a style in mind.

If anyone could help me with this or even allow me to better understand that would be helpful, especially going into FM24 and the new exciting features I wanna take my tactic making to the next level.

Thank you!

@Cleon This is his site, tagging him in. 

My view is that the roles/tactics only go so far in impacting the tendency of a player to do something or not, but the attributes on the player will fundamentally determine how they play on the pitch. Therefore the attributes of players are just as, if not more, important when creating a specific playstyle.

If you're not sure on the playstyle you'd like to see your team play, try finding a team who's football you admire IRL and go from there. 

Edited by Cloud9

7 hours ago, silentventus said:

Here is the post. 

Thank you!

The style you create is the one via the roles and instructions used. The attributes then further enhance this so you can make the most use of it. For example if you are playing an aggressive pressing game then the chances are you'll be somewhat attacking. Which means you'll be higher up the pitch, which in turn means you'll likely not do much counter attacking. While you still may do them from time to time this wouldn't be the main style.

The normal approach you mention from my tweet, that's aimed at those people who want a more balanced approach. So you want to do a little bit of everything rather than one particular thing.

16 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

@Cleon This is his site, tagging him in. 

My view is that the roles/tactics only go so far in impacting the tendency of a player to do something or not, but the attributes on the player will fundamentally determine how they play on the pitch. Therefore the attributes of players are just as, if not more, important when creating a specific playstyle.

If you're not sure on the playstyle you'd like to see your team play, try finding a team who's football you admire IRL and go from there. 

That's definitely made it a lot clearer and also the tip of using a team I admire is pretty interesting, thanks for that! 

9 hours ago, Cleon said:

The style you create is the one via the roles and instructions used. The attributes then further enhance this so you can make the most use of it. For example if you are playing an aggressive pressing game then the chances are you'll be somewhat attacking. Which means you'll be higher up the pitch, which in turn means you'll likely not do much counter attacking. While you still may do them from time to time this wouldn't be the main style.

The normal approach you mention from my tweet, that's aimed at those people who want a more balanced approach. So you want to do a little bit of everything rather than one particular thing.

Ah okay I do see what you mean, it is making a bit more sense to me thank you! Also great job on that tweet very helpful in terms of the attributes. One last thing have you got any tips for when it comes to selecting what role you wanna use for certain styles?