[FM24] The Traipsing of the Shrew

Shrewnaldo

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Shall be following along Shrew! Good luck. 

Cheers Ben. When are you starting yours? Waiting until after 'early access'? I'm looking to steal some ideas...

1 hour ago, Sizeman21 said:

I was a silent observer of your blog way back. You bring a unique touch to your FM experience that resonates in me somewhere. Good luck in Italy, Shrew!

Thanks! I'm always surprised when people remember the old stuff - even more so when they have positive things to say. All seems like so very long ago...

1 hour ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Cheers Ben. When are you starting yours? Waiting until after 'early access'? I'm looking to steal some ideas...

Yes. First post is ready but skinning and playing until the full game is out and I can dig very, very deeply into it!

4 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Yes. First post is ready but skinning and playing until the full game is out and I can dig very, very deeply into it!

Understood. Looking forward to the new version of the skin. Should tie-in with my game style nicely

1 hour ago, MattyLewis11 said:

Very much looking forward to following along with your FM24 journey Shrew!

Cheers Matty, always appreciate your input to the recruitment queries I post

2 minutes ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Life imitating art here. FeralpiSalò has just relieved Stefano Vecchi of his job on the 23rd October 2023, 3 days after I created that scenario for this save.

They're 19th at the moment in Serie B aren't they? Although, I know that doesn't make any difference in wanting a change of management.

2 minutes ago, robterrace said:

They're 19th at the moment in Serie B aren't they? Although, I know that doesn't make any difference in wanting a change of management.

Indeed. Only Lecco below them - who are incidentally the only team Feralpi has beat this season (narrowly). And they had a big loss yesterday.

I reckon it's pretty close to what I've been saying above - the board just think he's a bit out of his depth at this level.

Loving the kits, but 1 & 3 seem too similar. :applause:

On 22/10/2023 at 12:31, Shrewnaldo said:

I tend to use these threads to problem solve - so expect rambling streams of consciousness about tactical issues, finances and recruitment. Definitely recruitment. Whilst my interest in other areas of FM has dwindled over the years, I've found myself more and more interested in setting up interesting recruitment strategies - focusing as much as I can on statistics and finding value in non-traditional markets or clubs.

Ideally I'd like to do this without numerical attributes and am hoping that some skinning genius can release a graphical attribute skin soon. For now, I've started with the vanilla skin and just focusing on my own players and opponents - avoiding any sort of recruitment analysis whatsoever. Which is probably just as well given we have zero transfer budget, are over-spending on wages and are currently £2.1m in the red... some more of that challenge I was mentioning.

Liking the sound of this. You saves often throw up interesting discussions. :thup:

[Edit]

ps. Wow there are some big boys in Serie C. :eek:

Edited by Jimbokav1971

4 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Here we go!! Love the idea of taking it to real life with the holiday Shrew. 

The holidays came first, in this instance. I love Lake Garda. Will definitely be heading back once the kids are away.

4 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Loving the kits, but 1 & 3 seem too similar. :applause:

Liking the sound of this. You saves often throw up interesting discussions. :thup:

[Edit]

ps. Wow there are some big boys in Serie C. :eek:

I really like the third kit. So much so that I got one delivered today

10 minutes ago, Shrewnaldo said:

image.png.69c2cc4bbd0288e083a69e455b861425.png

Recruitment Strategies (Part 1)

Leoni del Garda - FeralpiSalò

FM used to be all about the tactics for me but, for various reasons, my interest in that side of the game has waned. Now I tend to focus more on the squad-building and recruitment is a huge part of that. Part of my increased interest has come with a focus on analytics, rather than just judging players by their numerical attributes. Indeed, I've taken to playing without the 1-20 attributes in recent versions. Whilst some will play entirely attributeless, it's just not for me. I don't think it's realistic that you wouldn't have any idea whatsoever about the players at your disposal - just think about the people that work for you, or with you, in real life. I'm sure you could assign some strengths and weaknesses to each person according to some basic work-related attributes. Or at least, a good manager should - and this is what the attributes represent for me.

Regardless, if I use the numerical attributes then I struggle to see past them, and just tend to let the numbers dominate my thoughts. Replacing them with coloured stars (or similar) in the last few versions has really helped me focus on statistics instead. Everyone is aware that stats are becoming more prevalent, if not ubiquitous, in football and whilst FM is some way behind the curve, in both the type of stats that are collected and their accuracy, there are a number of metrics available for players to use.

Whilst I wait for a graphical attributes skin, I thought I'd outline the strategy I'll be taking to analyse our own squad, in order to identify the recruitment priorities, and then how to find the players to fill those gaps.

image.thumb.png.fbc5d010ad2ff27cbdcc85fd7b88b7d9.png

I really like the addition of this experience matrix - allowing the player to very quickly assess the age profile of the squad and any gaps. Up until my Bristol City save (Statman and Robins), I'd have been like most FMers and aimed for a squad that fills out the left-hand side of this matrix - bringing in youth players that we can develop and then sell on for profit. Indeed, this is one of the many strategies that has been erroneously claimed as a 'Moneyball' approach to FM. Indeed, 'Moneyball' would probably be the opposite, with the book making numerous references to Bill James' conclusions that "(older) college players are a better investment than high school players by a huge, huge, laughably huge margin".

The reasoning behind this conclusion is that high-school baseball players do not have verifiable statistics from which franchises can draw direct conclusions about the player's likely professional future. It is this theme which I have carried through to FM - purchases will be based on evidence, and that comes from statistical output. Attributes and scout reports are not statistical outputs.

So that means I'm not going to sign a raft of 18 year-old wonderkids who have played just a handful of games each. I'm looking for a track record and will be keeping saves from the end of each season so that I can go back and check detailed statistics from each campaign, before they are wiped when the game refreshes itself in June / July.

In my Robins and Telstar saves, I also abandoned youth development completely - focusing solely on the senior squad. Here I'm going to have a halfway house - jettisoning the under-18 squad at the end of the season but keeping the under-20s. Primarily this is to honour the club vision and FeralpiSalò's real-life commitment to youth development. Sadly, the facilities are pretty poor and even this lip-service may be abandoned in a couple of seasons.

So it's all starting to look a bit Big Sam - low blocks, direct football and a focus on physical, experienced players. And like the much-maligned Mr Allardyce, we'll be heavily into the analytics. Both the Data Hub and custom views such as the below will be thoroughly used.

Squad offensive stats view

I've got a decent idea of the profile of players that I'm after, and a combination of these statistics and some basic logic will highlight the three to four profiles / positions that require strengthening. And then it's off shopping.

I really, really don't like the Recruitment Focus system that was introduced in FM23. It takes away a huge part of what I want to do myself, how I want to find players and what I want my scouts to do. So whilst I'll set up the odd focus just to see what comes back, it's not the primary means of finding players. Instead, I typically go through the following steps:

• I use the Players in Range screen to extract a record of statistics from all the players within our scouting package
    • I used to avoid this screen like the plague, but I've recently accepted that it isn't the cheat screen I'd previously thought. It does not provide access to every player within the game. Instead, it's just those that your club would realistically know about. As FM now presents it to you, I see it as your club going to one of the data providers (Wyscout, Opta, etc) and buying access to their data across a given geographical range
    • To make it less 'gamey', I de-select the "interested" tickbox (so that all players are shown) and, whilst I always use attribute masking anyway, I never use it to search by attributes
    • I use custom views such as that shown below to extract the data into excel and from there manipulate it into a few metrics for the profile I'm looking for

image.thumb.png.13fa8156d06cbe5bd4e681c157e1ec34.png

• For example, our 32 year-old on-loan targetman Andrea La Mantia is very likely to leave come the end of the season. Looking for a replacement 9, I've extracted the data for all strikers within our package who have started at least 5 games and are out of contract come the end of the season - all information that is readily available to clubs' recruitment teams
    • Opening the export in excel, I then normalise a few selected statistics that I believe will help me rank the profile of player I want. Taking the targetman example again, I've normalised headers won (%), shots / 90, xG per shot, conversion rate, non-penalty xG per 90 and the net possession won versus possession lost.
    • These are normalised by taking the average for all players in the export (removing those with zero returns as they will be in unplayable leagues), then comparing the player's output against this average. That comparison is effectively a percentage but I've set it to a numerical figure (100% = 1.00) for no other reason than I prefer the way 1.00 looks to 100%.
    • Normalising in this way brings all the metrics into the same scale, allowing me to sum the metrics that I've chosen to be important for that profile (Column M below)

image.thumb.png.90c109be9bc335a8d2de6235d1de7fee.png

• A quick sense-check against the names returned lets me know if I'm on the right track. Yussuf Poulsen, Mehdi Taremi and Duván Zapata being top of this list suggests I'm bang on the money. I can then look for names that I want my scouts to find out some more about. So Poulsen et al are clearly out - not exactly being realistic targets for FeralpiSalò. But Daniel Ciofani, coming to the end of his contract at fellow Serie B side Cremonese... that's more like it

Essentially, all I'm doing is conducting a statistical screen to produce targets for my scouts - rather than getting the output from a recruitment focus and then use stats to filter out that subset. Either option is entirely viable and I'm sure lots of people will think all this excel stuff is boring as, but who cares? This is how I like to play. Perhaps the analyst options in the Recruitment Foci will eventually become good enough that I can do this within the game. Perhaps not.

For now, this is how I want to play my game and how I'll be looking for signing targets come the summer. It let's me combine statistics into overall ranking scores, and create new statistics by combining data that FM separates - for example, identifying players who might have low goals per 90 metrics, but who score a large proportion of their team's goals. Are these good players hidden in a poor team? Perhaps. Using statistics like this will help me identify such players and ask my scouts to find out.

Specifically for my save, we've got a number of obvious targets - a 9 is key, as already mentioned. But our first choice XI features at least 6 loanees. That's not a comfortable position to be in, particularly when we don't have the money to secure any of them on permanent deals. So it could be a very busy second half of the season and an even busier summer.

Forza Feralpi!

Really love this way of doing stuff, actually makes it far more workable as well. 

Once I get my first season out of the way in the save I'm messing about in, I'm probably going to do a very similar system of recruitment for replacing players.

13 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Life imitating art here. FeralpiSalò has just relieved Stefano Vecchi of his job on the 23rd October 2023, 3 days after I created that scenario for this save.

How did you know?! 

Following along Shrew, good luck with this save. 

56 minutes ago, robterrace said:

Really love this way of doing stuff, actually makes it far more workable as well. 

Once I get my first season out of the way in the save I'm messing about in, I'm probably going to do a very similar system of recruitment for replacing players.

Ideal, if you've got any tips to share then I'm always happy to shamelessly steal stuff from other people's saves

51 minutes ago, abulezz said:

I love how in-depth you get with your thought process. Great read thus far. 

Cheers, I appreciate that

image.png.52e88eb6d14089e3b124e09486826aa0.png

First signing confirmed as 6'6" Norwegian striker will join on a free from Serie C club Ancona in the summer. Destined to be the back-up 9, Kristofferson scored a 7.38 on my Target Forward Rank, putting him 21st overall (of 361). Excellent aerial performance, as you'd expect for his height, and the 14th best xG/shot really stood out. He's not good enough to be first-choice, but I like him as the bench option a lot.

FM used to be all about the tactics for me but, for various reasons, my interest in that side of the game has waned. Now I tend to focus more on the squad-building and recruitment is a huge part of that. Part of my increased interest has come with a focus on analytics, rather than just judging players by their numerical attributes. Indeed, I've taken to playing without the 1-20 attributes in recent versions. Whilst some will play entirely attributeless, it's just not for me. I don't think it's realistic that you wouldn't have any idea whatsoever about the players at your disposal - just think about the people that work for you, or with you, in real life. I'm sure you could assign some strengths and weaknesses to each person according to some basic work-related attributes. Or at least, a good manager should - and this is what the attributes represent for me.

Regardless, if I use the numerical attributes then I struggle to see past them, and just tend to let the numbers dominate my thoughts. Replacing them with coloured stars (or similar) in the last few versions has really helped me focus on statistics instead. Everyone is aware that stats are becoming more prevalent, if not ubiquitous, in football and whilst FM is some way behind the curve, in both the type of stats that are collected and their accuracy, there are a number of metrics available for players to use.

Whilst I wait for a graphical attributes skin, I thought I'd outline the strategy I'll be taking to analyse our own squad, in order to identify the recruitment priorities, and then how to find the players to fill those gaps.

I really like the addition of this experience matrix - allowing the player to very quickly assess the age profile of the squad and any gaps. Up until my Bristol City save (Statman and Robins), I'd have been like most FMers and aimed for a squad that fills out the left-hand side of this matrix - bringing in youth players that we can develop and then sell on for profit. Indeed, this is one of the many strategies that has been erroneously claimed as a 'Moneyball' approach to FM. Indeed, 'Moneyball' would probably be the opposite, with the book making numerous references to Bill James' conclusions that "(older) college players are a better investment than high school players by a huge, huge, laughably huge margin".

The reasoning behind this conclusion is that high-school baseball players do not have verifiable statistics from which franchises can draw direct conclusions about the player's likely professional future. It is this theme which I have carried through to FM - purchases will be based on evidence, and that comes from statistical output. Attributes and scout reports are not statistical outputs.

So that means I'm not going to sign a raft of 18 year-old wonderkids who have played just a handful of games each. I'm looking for a track record and will be keeping saves from the end of each season so that I can go back and check detailed statistics from each campaign, before they are wiped when the game refreshes itself in June / July.

In my Robins and Telstar saves, I also abandoned youth development completely - focusing solely on the senior squad. Here I'm going to have a halfway house - jettisoning the under-18 squad at the end of the season but keeping the under-20s. Primarily this is to honour the club vision and FeralpiSalò's real-life commitment to youth development. Sadly, the facilities are pretty poor and even this lip-service may be abandoned in a couple of seasons.

So it's all starting to look a bit Big Sam - low blocks, direct football and a focus on physical, experienced players. And like the much-maligned Mr Allardyce, we'll be heavily into the analytics. Both the Data Hub and custom views such as the below will be thoroughly used.

I've got a decent idea of the profile of players that I'm after, and a combination of these statistics and some basic logic will highlight the three to four profiles / positions that require strengthening. And then it's off shopping.

I really, really don't like the Recruitment Focus system that was introduced in FM23. It takes away a huge part of what I want to do myself, how I want to find players and what I want my scouts to do. So whilst I'll set up the odd focus just to see what comes back, it's not the primary means of finding players. Instead, I typically go through the following steps:

• I use the Players in Range screen to extract a record of statistics from all the players within our scouting package
    • I used to avoid this screen like the plague, but I've recently accepted that it isn't the cheat screen I'd previously thought. It does not provide access to every player within the game. Instead, it's just those that your club would realistically know about. As FM now presents it to you, I see it as your club going to one of the data providers (Wyscout, Opta, etc) and buying access to their data across a given geographical range
    • To make it less 'gamey', I de-select the "interested" tickbox (so that all players are shown) and, whilst I always use attribute masking anyway, I never use it to search by attributes
    • I use custom views such as that shown below to extract the data into excel and from there manipulate it into a few metrics for the profile I'm looking for

• For example, our 32 year-old on-loan targetman Andrea La Mantia is very likely to leave come the end of the season. Looking for a replacement 9, I've extracted the data for all strikers within our package who have started at least 5 games and are out of contract come the end of the season - all information that is readily available to clubs' recruitment teams
    • Opening the export in excel, I then normalise a few selected statistics that I believe will help me rank the profile of player I want. Taking the targetman example again, I've normalised headers won (%), shots / 90, xG per shot, conversion rate, non-penalty xG per 90 and the net possession won versus possession lost.
    • These are normalised by taking the average for all players in the export (removing those with zero returns as they will be in unplayable leagues), then comparing the player's output against this average. That comparison is effectively a percentage but I've set it to a numerical figure (100% = 1.00) for no other reason than I prefer the way 1.00 looks to 100%.
    • Normalising in this way brings all the metrics into the same scale, allowing me to sum the metrics that I've chosen to be important for that profile (Column M below)

• A quick sense-check against the names returned lets me know if I'm on the right track. Yussuf Poulsen, Mehdi Taremi and Duván Zapata being top of this list suggests I'm bang on the money. I can then look for names that I want my scouts to find out some more about. So Poulsen et al are clearly out - not exactly being realistic targets for FeralpiSalò. But Daniel Ciofani, coming to the end of his contract at fellow Serie B side Cremonese... that's more like it

Essentially, all I'm doing is conducting a statistical screen to produce targets for my scouts - rather than getting the output from a recruitment focus and then use stats to filter out that subset. Either option is entirely viable and I'm sure lots of people will think all this excel stuff is boring as, but who cares? This is how I like to play. Perhaps the analyst options in the Recruitment Foci will eventually become good enough that I can do this within the game. Perhaps not.

For now, this is how I want to play my game and how I'll be looking for signing targets come the summer. It let's me combine statistics into overall ranking scores, and create new statistics by combining data that FM separates - for example, identifying players who might have low goals per 90 metrics, but who score a large proportion of their team's goals. Are these good players hidden in a poor team? Perhaps. Using statistics like this will help me identify such players and ask my scouts to find out.

Specifically for my save, we've got a number of obvious targets - a 9 is key, as already mentioned. But our first choice XI features at least 6 loanees. That's not a comfortable position to be in, particularly when we don't have the money to secure any of them on permanent deals. So it could be a very busy second half of the season and an even busier summer.

Forza Feralpi!

Really enjoyed this post. Love reading about the thoughts behind certain processes. (Even though you said you hate recruitment focus how dare you!:mad:)

But the process you are doing helps you recruit the way you want to. 

I do agree with what you said about attribute/attributeless. I’m not a fan and I think the system can be evolved, a graphical representation is a decent compromise. 

Forza Feralpi!

Always love a good spreadsheet, so will be keeping up to date on this

One of the things I've loved seeing is people's approach to statistical analysis, and really looking forward to how you approach yours, especially after the Target Forward extract above! 

10 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Forza Feralpi!

Superb. Love this approach. Always enjoyed your blogs in the past. I would be interested to know in your experience how successful and I guess transferable promising statistical player metrics translate to in game performances. It’s something I like to look at but not in any massive detail, more of a good sense check for me. I mean we’ve all had players in saves who’s attributes might not be the strongest but they always perform “above their attributes” and I wonder if “in game” this approach is more vindicated with every release as IRL how important these metrics are. Like you say FM is behind the curve, but im  interested to hear what you would deem successful in terms of player performance and would you give more weighting to the overall team performance and result rather than say a player who hit the right score in your statistical metrics and came into the team and although the team played and team results were successful but that individual player had a poor or average average rating etc?

10 hours ago, danielgear said:

Really enjoyed this post. Love reading about the thoughts behind certain processes. (Even though you said you hate recruitment focus how dare you!:mad:)

But the process you are doing helps you recruit the way you want to. 

I do agree with what you said about attribute/attributeless. I’m not a fan and I think the system can be evolved, a graphical representation is a decent compromise. 

I hope they never get rid of the 1-20 attributes - but I like the idea that SI provide various options. Something like the coloured stars I've been using, or the bars that others have used, would be a nice alternative to have available. 

10 hours ago, cmason84 said:

Always love a good spreadsheet, so will be keeping up to date on this

10 hours ago, keeper#1 said:

Definitely following along.  

4 hours ago, Lestri said:

One of the things I've loved seeing is people's approach to statistical analysis, and really looking forward to how you approach yours, especially after the Target Forward extract above! 

Thanks all, the more the merrier

51 minutes ago, wils2603 said:

Superb. Love this approach. Always enjoyed your blogs in the past. I would be interested to know in your experience how successful and I guess transferable promising statistical player metrics translate to in game performances. It’s something I like to look at but not in any massive detail, more of a good sense check for me. I mean we’ve all had players in saves who’s attributes might not be the strongest but they always perform “above their attributes” and I wonder if “in game” this approach is more vindicated with every release as IRL how important these metrics are. Like you say FM is behind the curve, but im  interested to hear what you would deem successful in terms of player performance and would you give more weighting to the overall team performance and result rather than say a player who hit the right score in your statistical metrics and came into the team and although the team played and team results were successful but that individual player had a poor or average average rating etc?

Regarding how transferable statistics are... watch this space. I've got a couple of thoughts.

I love those players that you have when they're output far outweighs what their attributes would suggest - think they're my favourite sort of players. I still remember Antonino La Gumina that I had in my old Samp save (funnily enough, he's since joined irl). His attributes were average but he'd always produce - no matter where I played him. 

But I like your point about individual versus team performances, it's often hard to see the wider picture. That's why I add "team conceded per 90", "team scored per 90" and "points per 90" to all my statistics view. This means I can check to see if the team is performing unusually well / poorly when a particular player is on the pitch. That then prompts me to go look deeper at the individual stats to see if I'm missing anything.

Just now, Shrewnaldo said:

hope they never get rid of the 1-20 attributes - but I like the idea that SI provide various options. Something like the coloured stars I've been using, or the bars that others have used, would be a nice alternative to have available

Yeah they won’t and shouldn’t remove them, but they used to have bars and for some reason removed them 

This is fantastic and baselining statistical outputs weighted by league rating has arguably been my biggest blocker for going full statistical nerd with FM. Mainly because I run it on a piece of crap laptop so I haven't been able to fully deep dive, so massive plaudits for doing this!

I use a score out of 100 for role suitability based on player's attribute, but I've always been stuck on the statistical side of things outside of using the likes of FMStag's for baselining what is good. So this gives me plenty to ponder about, considering you've made the leap of linking stats with specific player roles.

Long winded way of saying what a bloody great job.

Love the way this is beginning to look., As long as you stick to your own rules when running the numbers, especially when it involves an unplayable league, then, things should work.

As for the 'weighting', I take it that you're using the overall average to work that out, although, does the division of players you're looking at add another variable to look into as well?

2 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

I'd welcome any thoughts on the above. Have I missed something obvious? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Have I bored you massively? Are you a walrus?

I don't really have any thoughts cause you've blown me away really! Am I bored? Not at all!! I'm just loving all of this! 

Any thoughts on sharing those views and those excels? 

Always love to follow your threads Shrew. 

Noy new,  but the big question for me is how do you plan to use stats to find good defenders and DMs given that things like interceptions, tackles are a function of role and team setup as much as individuals skills.

I guess you also miss out on big retraining opportunities that I think are great ways to find value, eg move a CD to DM, DM to FB, AM to ST etc 

6 hours ago, Lestri said:

This is fantastic and baselining statistical outputs weighted by league rating has arguably been my biggest blocker for going full statistical nerd with FM. Mainly because I run it on a piece of crap laptop so I haven't been able to fully deep dive, so massive plaudits for doing this!

I use a score out of 100 for role suitability based on player's attribute, but I've always been stuck on the statistical side of things outside of using the likes of FMStag's for baselining what is good. So this gives me plenty to ponder about, considering you've made the leap of linking stats with specific player roles.

Long winded way of saying what a bloody great job.

Thanks, much appreciated.

4 hours ago, robterrace said:

Love the way this is beginning to look., As long as you stick to your own rules when running the numbers, especially when it involves an unplayable league, then, things should work.

As for the 'weighting', I take it that you're using the overall average to work that out, although, does the division of players you're looking at add another variable to look into as well?

You mean dividing the attribute splits between the positions? Thinking perhaps that certain leagues will tend to produce better defenders and therefore it's better a better market? 

It's possible to do that but it does add workload to creating the baseline. Even just splitting by 'keepers, defenders, midfielders and strikers quadruples the effort. Splitting by sides adds again etc etc. For me, the effort would outweigh the benefit.

4 hours ago, vkastanas said:

I don't really have any thoughts cause you've blown me away really! Am I bored? Not at all!! I'm just loving all of this! 

Any thoughts on sharing those views and those excels? 

I'm happy to share the data export and the views, if folk think they'd be useful. But I'd encourage people to use the data in their own way rather than copy my logic.

57 minutes ago, ifinnem said:

Always love to follow your threads Shrew. 

Noy new,  but the big question for me is how do you plan to use stats to find good defenders and DMs given that things like interceptions, tackles are a function of role and team setup as much as individuals skills.

I guess you also miss out on big retraining opportunities that I think are great ways to find value, eg move a CD to DM, DM to FB, AM to ST etc 

Indeed, I'm not likely to be doing much retraining. With the older squad, it's less likely anyway - but it is much more difficult to identify opportunities for re-training without the numerical attributes.

Re defensive stats - it is tough. I'd really like to be able to make possession-adjusted stats but FM doesn't record the possession average when a player is on the pitch. Instead, what I can do is use the overall numbers to produce a longlist that I want the scouts to investigate. This then allows me to whittle the list down to 5-10 targets, and that's then very easy to go and find their team's average possession manually - and thereby produce possession adjusted stats.

Obviously this still isn't perfect, but it's better.

7 minutes ago, Shrewnaldo said:

You mean dividing the attribute splits between the positions? Thinking perhaps that certain leagues will tend to produce better defenders and therefore it's better a better market? 

It's possible to do that but it does add workload to creating the baseline. Even just splitting by 'keepers, defenders, midfielders and strikers quadruples the effort. Splitting by sides adds again etc etc. For me, the effort would outweigh the benefit.

I was thinking more in terms of comparing a Serie B player to a Serie A player, and a Premier League player to a Championship one (or similar). How much of a difference does the level of a play have in the overall weighting compared to the national weightings?

1 minute ago, robterrace said:

I was thinking more in terms of comparing a Serie B player to a Serie A player, and a Premier League player to a Championship one (or similar). How much of a difference does the level of a play have in the overall weighting compared to the national weightings?

Ah ok, well I have the second tier covered for the major nations and a few selected others; and I've also covered Serie C. So I can also adjust the rankings for any of these leagues. And if I stumble across someone in a competition that I haven't covered, then it should be easy enough to add them to the baseline retrospectively.

Just now, Shrewnaldo said:

Ah ok, well I have the second tier covered for the major nations and a few selected others; and I've also covered Serie C. So I can also adjust the rankings for any of these leagues. And if I stumble across someone in a competition that I haven't covered, then it should be easy enough to add them to the baseline retrospectively.

Thanks, thats what I was thinking, especially with you commenting earlier that you weren't going to go for the highest level of player available. :D

7 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

The raw data is attached, to be done with as you will.

Thanks a lot! May I ask?

What is the Average Value that is the hidden Column "C"?

Why Italy 3 has the characteristic excel sign that something is different from the other data?

1 hour ago, vkastanas said:

Thanks a lot! May I ask?

What is the Average Value that is the hidden Column "C"?

Why Italy 3 has the characteristic excel sign that something is different from the other data?

The "average value" is the average transfer value in that league. As I referred to above, this just appears to be broken. I don't think it's able to deal with the value ranges that were introduced in fm22. South Korea has the highest average transfer value in the game. 

Because it doesn't work, I just hid the column

Italy 3 is different because I've had to capture the three sub-leagues of Serie C separately. I've then averaged them into the line that I've left visible so there's only one record for the Italian thirdly tier

5 minutes ago, Shrewnaldo said:

The "average value" is the average transfer value in that league. As I referred to above, this just appears to be broken. I don't think it's able to deal with the value ranges that were introduced in fm22. South Korea has the highest average transfer value in the game. 

Because it doesn't work, I just hid the column

Italy 3 is different because I've had to capture the three sub-leagues of Serie C separately. I've then averaged them into the line that I've left visible so there's only one record for the Italian thirdly tier

Nice thanks!

And what about those views and search filters! Will you share those! I know I can make them if you don't bother sharing...

14 minutes ago, Shrewnaldo said:

But look, if I select cell I33 (Acceleration on Italy 3avg) the formula says that is the average of cells (I30:I33, South Korea, Poland, Uruguay). Or am I seeing somethig wrong?

a7d90da69ef24c95573d4b5f2cc9a134.png

7 minutes ago, vkastanas said:

But look, if I select cell I33 (Acceleration on Italy 3avg) the formula says that is the average of cells (I30:I33, South Korea, Poland, Uruguay). Or am I seeing somethig wrong?

Ah that's weird. It should be the average of the three individual Serie C cells. Looks like something has gone wrong in transit there. I'll take a look later today 

On 24/10/2023 at 11:24, Shrewnaldo said:

you can see that Spain is 'the strongest' with the highest average attributes

Would have been interesting to also see the average age of the league's, to gain a bit of context behind the numbers. My gut feeling is that the Spanish league holds a higher average age and therefore the reason as to why technicals are higher due to more time to perfect attributes.

I know this wasn't the reason why you did the deep dive, the data is really useful... you need to make an infographic and post it on Twitter.

On 24/10/2023 at 12:24, Shrewnaldo said:

Romania, Colombia and Uruguay look like fertile shopping grounds - solid average attributes above the global average, comparatively low reputation and low average wages

Just a shout out for Poland, Sweden, Croatia as good markets. How do you rate them?

Edited by nugatti
Typo

20 hours ago, MattyLewis11 said:

Would have been interesting to also see the average age of the league's, to gain a bit of context behind the numbers. My gut feeling is that the Spanish league holds a higher average age and therefore the reason as to why technicals are higher due to more time to perfect attributes.

I know this wasn't the reason why you did the deep dive, the data is really useful... you need to make an infographic and post it on Twitter.

Not sure about the infographic... have you seen my graphical skills?!

Re the age profile, that'd be fairly quick to check - could just start up a new game then add a manager to any club in the league and use the comparison page. Pretty sure it has the average age to 2 decimal points? I'll check later

18 hours ago, nugatti said:

Just a shout out for Poland, Sweden, Croatia as good markets. How do you rate them?

I'm sure they'll all have some great talents - I've certainly found some brilliant young players in Croatia in the past.

But, just using this method, they're not as likely to have value as the other leagues. Poland seems the most likely of three with a slightly higher than global attribute average and a slightly higher attribute rank than reputation rank; Sweden is over-ranked and Croatia is well over-ranked.

*But* this method is very broadbrush - it's talking about the leagues as averages. If you limited Croatia to just Dinamo Zagreb, then you know that you're much more likely to find a high-quality newgen or fourteen. Same with Brommapojkarna. As I'm a Serie B club with less than no money, I need to cast my net as wide as possible to pick up bargains and free transfers, so I wanted to get away from just targeting the well-known talent factories.

On 25/10/2023 at 19:55, MattyLewis11 said:

Average age in La Liga is 26.67; in the Premier League it's 26.11. So about half a year's difference, which may have some difference on the attributes. The Bundesliga, just for a comparison, is 25.64.

On 25/10/2023 at 08:53, vkastanas said:

So it looks like I've just messed up for that line. It is supposed to be the average of the three Serie C rows, but the formula has swapped out. If you unhide between rows 4 and 10, then you'll reveal the Serie C lines and then be able to correct it again. No idea how that happened but good spot