The FM24 Youth Academy Challenge

41 minutes ago, Daddy said:

Honestly stunned. I worried this season would be more difficult with three teams moving down, and it certainly was.

noooooo! I'm gutted for you! It was really interesting seeing someone make a go at Belgium and seemingly managing it. I thought you'd made it!

it's a fickle mistress, this save

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Padders said:

Hungerford_Town_F.C._logo.png

Season 9 - 2032/33

Another mid table performance, nothing really else to say.

FA Cup was poor again.

No money to improve anything.

We did finally get a few more Elite talents in the intake

20231117095147_1.thumb.jpg.21b5bf549d485194afbf30d63a1b3563.jpg20231117091915_1.thumb.jpg.00e1a98905a2d73c1c5245726c7aa667.jpg20231117091927_1.thumb.jpg.3306a29c6e8b472d272ec9cf5e39d252.jpg20231117095122_1.thumb.jpg.83d1f96e0298039354db0ff030e0641c.jpg20231117095144_1.thumb.jpg.60926b8f3480ee710a1249c5a12e8c5c.jpg

image.thumb.png.2db9a826c8fb78aee7749dcf33e64899.png

The year is 3200

We have a billion people on mars.

We are colonizing Alpha Centauri’s planetary system

And Padders’ great great great grandchild has played 5000 seasons in the VNS, never getting promoted

38 minutes ago, libbyshuss said:

noooooo! I'm gutted for you! It was really interesting seeing someone make a go at Belgium and seemingly managing it. I thought you'd made it!

it's a fickle mistress, this save

I thought I was going to top league too :( 

1 hour ago, Daddy said:

uxN6kvp.png

FY6qJjT.png

Honestly stunned. I worried this season would be more difficult with three teams moving down, and it certainly was. The problem was dropping attainable points, and then morale just plummeted and we never could recover. The team didn't win a match after I was fired and were relegated in last place. I still think completing in Belgium is possible, but it relies on a lot of luck. Going to give the journeyman save some love until I figure out what challenge to try next. 

Oh no :eek:

6 hours ago, Daddy said:

uxN6kvp.png

FY6qJjT.png

Honestly stunned. I worried this season would be more difficult with three teams moving down, and it certainly was. The problem was dropping attainable points, and then morale just plummeted and we never could recover. The team didn't win a match after I was fired and were relegated in last place. I still think completing in Belgium is possible, but it relies on a lot of luck. Going to give the journeyman save some love until I figure out what challenge to try next. 

Oooof! I feel for you, mate! Harsh of them sacking you after how well you've handled the club. They should have just stayed with you even if the club went down imo!

image.png.58ec90d6fc41e1aff457b81f0a903d28.png

Mauriki FC - Vanuatu - Season 3 - 2022/23 - Vanuatuan Port Vila Premier Division (Tier 1) - 1st (lost in the playoff final)

It was a season of what ifs. There was a small outside possibility that we could have finished the Oceania part of the journey this season but it wasn't to be.

In the league our odds were 450 - 1 and we were predicted to finish second to last - which was fine as only one team goes down. However, the season prediction odds are notoriously unreliable, especially for promoted clubs, and we ended up being champion contenders. We started strongly and, with only 14 games in the whole season, we were guaranteed a playoff sport after 9 games. In the league of 8 teams, the top 4 go into knockout semis and a final to decide the league winners. We won the semi-finals but the final was a step too far and we ended up losing.

Along the way I had a surprise. I was told the draw for the OFC Champions League group stage was today. Funny I thought - why am I being asked. It turned out I was in it. After being promoted to the top league, I was trying to work out who made it into the OFC Champions League. The rules screen said 2 teams qualify, but nothing else. Also, because the Champions League doesn't happen until January, mid way through the season, I hadn't had time to properly see who qualfied, and I assumed it was both from the league. But it seems our runners up spot in the Cup final the previous season got us in. So my conclusion is that the league play off winner gets in and also the cup winner. If the league play off winner also wins the cup, then the place goes to the losing cup finalists. I seem to remember one version of FM where, in England, the losing FA Cup finalist would get the European place if the winner had already qualified in the league, but the losing Carabao cup finalist wouldn't get it. 

Anyway, we managed to make it out of the group stage and into the semi-finals where we faced Team Wellington from New Zealand. Their pre-game odds were 1 - 10, so I was sure we'd met our match and I was right as they thumped us. The competition has an interesting format which I had to look up. It's group and knockout as per usual, but the group stage is held in one neutral venue. 

I feel we can win the league fairly soon. The level of the top flight doesn't seem much higher than the lower divisions - indeed a team from the 3rd tier made it to the cup final. But judging by how much better Team Wellington were it could take a few seasons to win the OFC Champions League. As we didn't win the league play off or cup we won't be in it next year (I don't think). 

I haven't been allowed to go on any coaching courses yet. But the board have been really generous with improvements (4 so far in each), so we are up to Good Junior Coaching and Adequate Youth Recruitment, and this is showing in our intake. Contracts (or rather non-contracts) continue to be an issue, but so far we haven't lost anyone significant. 

image.thumb.png.841dd07d618559f2f6d0af65d4aba630.png

image.png.45ea836d17c212726213af555686de0f.png

image.png.ac5ba6d8fd7d318e652aa3e0a763203a.png

OFC Champions League. Nice group meant we made it through the knockouts where Wellington gave us the boot from the competition. 

image.thumb.png.967c6914addc0b2a57ca419443866e91.png

image.png.05143eea4dfe61c4f57acee5d8a18ab2.png

As we have non-contracts we can have an enormous squad. This is what I want as I need back up in case other teams take our players. Once we have enough quality, I may start releasing players. Ron Fred from last year's intake is already our best player and has represented Vanuatu at 17. 

image.thumb.png.6386c53557419f63d2f96a885b62803a.png

image.png.d1bf0feb4be376687b5a1d7a74750a22.png

Nice intake. We needed a right back, and there's a few others who'll give us depth. 

image.png.80178f929b9eb26e816f78d94d1ce46e.png

image.png.f9d197fa4e65672391dafcc55f7b7b06.png

46 minutes ago, XaW said:

Oooof! I feel for you, mate! Harsh of them sacking you after how well you've handled the club. They should have just stayed with you even if the club went down imo!

I have a backup save I may convert into a journeyman to see if just a little spending could put me over the top. Moneyball. I definitely feel hard done, but coaches are hired to be fired.

3 hours ago, v1n1akabozo said:

I need more updates @Padders and @WhiteCat33. I'm emotionally invested in your saves. Help

I had a pretty busy holiday season, so even though I played a couple seasons I haven't had a chance to put together the post. Unfortunately, the team is hitting an end of a generation, and my formation change wasn't as strong as I'd hopped so it was a couple of lackluster seasons.  I'll probably play the save sporadically until FM24 goes on Winter discount and then I'll start over with the @V50 Caribbean 2.0 to get the full proper Caribbean Island Adventure. So sadly here is to the nearly-men of Barbados, Ricardo Hoyte will live in infamy for throwing away our best shot at glory.

https://i.imgur.com/Yuj6EFE.mp4

Edited by WhiteCat33

27 minutes ago, WhiteCat33 said:

I had a pretty busy holiday season, so even though I played a couple seasons I haven't had a chance to put together the post. Unfortunately, the team is hitting an end of a generation, and my formation change wasn't as strong as I'd hopped so it was a couple of lackluster seasons.  I'll probably play the save sporadically until FM24 goes on Winter discount and then I'll start over with the @V50 Caribbean 2.0 to get the full proper Caribbean Island Adventure. So sadly here is to the nearly-men of Barbados, Ricardo Hoyte will live in infamy for throwing away our best shot at glory.

https://i.imgur.com/Yuj6EFE.mp4

can I have the savegame? Honestly was my favorite YAC so far

@Daddy - I know it has been said already, but truly gutted for you. They said Belgium can't be done, and I thought you were on the way to breaking the mold.

Hope you head back to Belgium one day and crack it!

image.png.ce820291981aee0d7bbd45404b987a46.png

Rein Meer AKA ReinBerg - Season 9 - Japan J3 League - End of Year Review

League

So on the last day of the season we only needed a draw to be confirmed of a playoff place. We went 1-0 behind to FC Ryuku and then in the 83rd minute got a late goal to sneak into the playoffs on goal difference.

image.thumb.png.4ae7ede8254dc35e465c7e0920f2ea7e.png

Playoff Semis

So in the semi finals we got Tochigi who gave us a good back and forward battle. Once we got the final goal in the 84th minute we went away from our 442 and went more defensive. They battered us for the last 10 minutes but we held out to head to the Playoff Final.

image.thumb.png.e0ac5c9ed4bc1c2d8367ce6cc3d2ce72.png

Playoff Final

We went into the playoff final, with plenty of playoff experience. Hoping that this time we could make it count. To be honest it was relatively un-dramatic. We dominated possession from the first whistle, but struggled to get our shots away. However 3 goals from 4 shots on target put us 3-0 up with 30 minutes to go. Again we abandoned our 4-4-2 in favour of bringing on an extra midfielder. We shut out Toyama as best we could, despite a late onslaught of shots and good chances.

So FINALLY we have been promoted to the J2 league, after NINE years of slight improvements, WE MADE IT!!!

image.thumb.png.98c6093ce53d8fa97bc58f72b613d1e3.png

image.thumb.png.50c9b9c65c696cc7138d5695f1ecd301.png

The Squad

We have now an almost full Youth Academy squad. The exceptions being that Ryu Joseph Hashimura (who had an outstanding season) is still starting up front and Riku Hirosue is still our Goalkeeper. Kenta Kawai (YP08B) only came through the intake 12 months ago, but already has claimed a starting spot and has been performing well above his years. He is already one to watch and is a superb talent, 6 assists and 4 goals from Right Back is pretty impressive indeed!

image.thumb.png.79a6da7bb2e50beaeeb3aaa786545bb3.pngimage.thumb.png.cf486024dbee71d925fefc3942abb4aa.png

Edited by glennuk

image.png.f5795a4c66cc41efff0dc0ffe7fca563.png

Pre-Season - Good & Bad News

The Good!
New TV Money :D To get us out of the 750,000 we were in debt.

image.thumb.png.526f2bd35001624264206a07005bae61.png

The Bad
Kaito Mizuno (YP08A) our brightest academy prospect and starting left winger broke his leg in a game against our Senior Affiliate club!!!!!

image.thumb.png.e66997abd633c793073a324b2d9fc0bc.png

The Foreboding
Anyone fancy our odds??? It's not looking promising is it?

image.thumb.png.7e3250011f5b47314bb32594861c5e94.png

9 hours ago, Kuncan said:

These 2 players were pre made transfers, I wont play them and try and sell them asap!

image.thumb.png.e24348459aac3b548445726e04d362a3.png

@Kuncan you're allowed to use them if you weren't able to cancel the transfers. This challenge is hard enough as it is :-)

11 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Hi everyone.

Long time lurker here. Loving everyone's attempts so far.

I've finally been bitten by the bug and am going to have a crack at this challenge. 

Any tips for a first timer?

Cheers 

Patience!

Try get your facilities updated as soon as you can

Good luck

vor 45 Minuten schrieb Fat Controller:

Hi everyone.

I've finally been bitten by the bug and am going to have a crack at this challenge. 

Cheers 

ENGLAND !!!! :applause:

1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

Hi everyone.

Cheers 

Always make decisions that will make you better in the long term, rather than help you now.

for example, if selling your star player means staying midtable for longer but funds facility upgrades it is worth it.

1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

Hi everyone.

Cheers 

The hidden attributes like professionalism, ambition and so on are very important for player development.  Therefore, you should take notice of the personality and media handling style of your youngsters as they reveal the hidden attributes.

From my experiences a 3.5 stars PA player with e.g. a resolute personality will develop much better than a 5 stars PA player with a bad personality.

Take a look at the guide here:
https://www.fmscout.com/a-guide-to-player-personalities-football-manager.html

Edited by fries

14 hours ago, leicester33 said:

can I have the savegame? Honestly was my favorite YAC so far

I'll at least write up the season I've finished in the next couple nights before I fully throw in the towel. Maybe that will get me back into it a little as I do have a couple winger youngsters in the U18s who could become something given playing time when I switch back to a 3-5-3 Wide. The big downside of the save is there is no Caribbean Cup because I opted for dynamic reputation instead, which make for less exciting competitions.

It would make for a fun spending save as we have really high reputation, a 60M bank balance and you get 6 foreign slots in Barbados. Also BDFSP is just now becoming relevant again, so the domestic picture isn't just pure IR and holiday twice a week. Just know the league isn't particularly important, what matters is the Cup as that is what qualifies you for the NACL. Game save is at the start of the NACL, so your team is locked for the Caribbean round but you'll get to register your new signings before the knockouts. Enjoy!

https://www.mediafire.com/file/z6eep4k8kfvq9l1/Barbados+YAC.fm/file

Spoiler

In my defense on the game time: I leave the game up on a secondary computer while I'm working and will take breaks to play it so the idle time is stupid on this save. I also tend to just sleep the computer instead of quit out the game which adds even more nonsense onto it.

Also, for anyone that uses my CA Calculator spreadsheet I've uploaded an updated Blank (V6.3) with the new View (CA Calculator V3) into the folder on MediaFire.

This folder also has my Statistics Spreadsheet I built when I played my St Louis FC Save and earlier in my lower league Germany YAC. This tool isn't helpful in small nation saves, but for those fighting it out in England mid-leagues this could shed light on how your players are performing and possibly inform on player effectiveness.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/z6k77x3z9wj9z/WhiteCatStats

If you have any questions using either tool don't hesitate to message me.

Edited by WhiteCat33

19 minutes ago, WhiteCat33 said:

I'll at least write up the season I've finished in the next couple nights before I fully throw in the towel. Maybe that will get me back into it a little as I do have a couple winger youngsters in the U18s who could become something given playing time when I switch back to a 3-5-3 Wide. The big downside of the save is there is no Caribbean Cup because I opted for dynamic reputation instead, which make for less exciting competitions.

It would make for a fun spending save as we have really high reputation, a 60M bank balance and you get 6 foreign slots in Barbados. Also BDFSP is just now becoming relevant again, so the domestic picture isn't just pure IR and holiday twice a week. Just know the league isn't particularly important, what matters is the Cup as that is what qualifies you for the NACL. Game save is at the start of the NACL, so your team is locked for the Caribbean round but you'll get to register your new signings before the knockouts. Enjoy!

https://www.mediafire.com/file/z6eep4k8kfvq9l1/Barbados+YAC.fm/file

Reveal hidden contents

In my defense on the game time: I leave the game up on a secondary computer while I'm working and will take breaks to play it so the idle time is stupid on this save. I also tend to just sleep the computer instead of quit out the game which adds even more nonsense onto it.

thanks

Çankaya FK Season review 2033/2034

image.png.5a2ddd0f5691f3c8dc587ff7cf53181e.png

On the field

Fixtures prt 1 | Fixtures prt 2

Europe

image.png.dc5db49abcf39371527f23430d15e103.png

Our first taste of european football ended after four matches. I thought we were unlucky drawing at home to baku. I was confident we could take them on away. I was wrong. 

would have been nice to reach the group stage but nearly 2M for four matches is easy money. Besides, we could focus now on the league.

Spor Toto Süper Lig

image.png.5dc25c20e6c561ee5b042c959cec7365.png

I don't want to talk about it...

ok fine.... 

we started of bad with one win in our first 7 league matches. After that we righted the ship somewhat in november in december. If we continued that form i was confident we had a chance to compete for the european places again. We started the year well by winning on january 1st,

However, we did not win again in the 16 following matches. 5 draws and 11 losses. nearing the end of the season we even slid towards the relegation zone. Something I did not think was possible in december.

On the last day we played Kayerispor. If Manisa won (which they did) we needed to either win or draw. As did Kayerispor. a bore 0-0 draw was the result. complaints of collusion have been sent to the turkish FA but they have concluded nothing untowards has happened.

We survived. probably my worst experience ever playing FM. Nothing seemed to work. 

Anyway, onwards to next season. surely it can't go worse.

Ziraat Türkiye Kupası

image.png.ae8966fe3e2e4a9f81df592edaf67ac3.png

We entered late because we were in Europe and left early. We lost against Fatih on penalties, who played in the second tier. 

This was made more bareable when Fatih went on and won the whole thing.

Squad

No awards this season. I was too tilted and forget. whoops

Intake:

image.thumb.png.44676886f8f7a112877b149cc182e733.png

Some decent potential here.

Board

Transfers | Finances

Only one major transfer this year. As feared Emre was wanted by half of europe. Both Inter and AC Milan came with early offers. Our board decided to interfere and declare both offers to good to ignore and accepted both. A shame, because i could have fleeced them for a lot more. Off course Emre then went on to choose the lower of the two offers. Still, 12.5M is an incredible amount of money for us that we could put to good use.

Which we did:

image.png.82bc0681c1c058536a9e0d763e3a065b.png

image.png.35f383309eb89f3f19175c03bb995f4e.png

image.png.c6ba4917fec393ca823941cc491c16f8.png

Three levels of youth recruitment were approved.

As well as two upgrades for the training facilities.

image.png.968f6c26c91fbec5f11239b5b67e9c72.png

image.png.209dbffee9b65196ee00f1e515e14b51.png

Not a bad return for one player.

What's Next

This season has left me a bit demotivated to be honest. I hope we can hold our own next season. No crazy streaks this time please.

Also, does anyone know what I can do to make youth facility upgrades visible? Other than a new Chairman?

i maxed out junior coaching and recruitment, I think. also the training facilities are very good now. by comparison the youth facilities are just bad and I think they hold my youth intakes back.

image.thumb.png.186d7e877e818c9212c431b5e178e40b.png

Edited by karax268

14 hours ago, tobiahabramson said:

We had our highest offer yet for our star Diego Mustoe from Oxford United that really really tempted me - but he had no interest in joining them anyways and he is a key cog in our machine and success.

Big Offer

Reveal hidden contents

Did they have a Tycoon Takeover or something? Cant say I'd expect that large of a bid from them, or maybe I've just played in the Caribbean too long

21 minutes ago, karax268 said:

Also, does anyone know what I can do to make youth facility upgrades visible? Other than a new Chairman?

Increased reputation of the club will eventually allow it to reappear, so any minor Cup trophy you can win while you slowly build up domestic strength will slowly unlock it. Basically the new chairman is the best way due to how broken the weighting is on his Working with Youngsters. GL on the RNG roll when he shows up.

Can you get foreign affiliates yet, perhaps the Asian/American Influence affiliate will help as well as foreign tours? Annoying to lose a star like that and then not be able to spend the money how you want. Hope next season is an improvement!

Edited by WhiteCat33

10 hours ago, Padders said:

Patience!

Try get your facilities updated as soon as you can

Good luck

4 hours ago, JAwtunes said:

@Fat Controller try to pick a team / league / story that will keep you interested.  Play to have fun, get to know your players, the league you're in etc., rather than playing just to complete the challenge. gl

9 hours ago, fries said:

The hidden attributes like professionalism, ambition and so on are very important for player development.  Therefore, you should take notice of the personality and media handling style of your youngsters as they reveal the hidden attributes.

From my experiences a 3.5 stars PA player with e.g. a resolute personality will develop much better than a 5 stars PA player with a bad personality.

Take a look at the guide here:
https://www.fmscout.com/a-guide-to-player-personalities-football-manager.html

10 hours ago, HanziZoloman said:

ENGLAND !!!! :applause:

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Can't wait to get started

image.png.73fb37bba9f4c3bc160b5748ad83aced.png

Rein Meer AKA ReinBerg - Season 10 - Japan J2 League (AT LAST!!) - Mid Season Review

The League

Despite the 350-1 odds and having the highest number of injured players (6) to start the season, we have actually performed admirably in our first season in the J2 League. We still seem to be hitting the net often enough, but defense is still our biggest struggle.

We are not safe at all yet and have hit a rough patch of form with 3 of our 8 defeats coming in the last 5 games, but we certainly are not the whipping boys of the league as predicted pre-season.
Note: Shockingly Kanazawa who came up with us this season are 3rd and Yamaguchi who also came up with us our last. Very much contrasting fortunes for us all!

image.thumb.png.ed8a4a09c965cf25f2fb63d9bcb5233d.png

Upgrades & Current Facilities

I got a new contract, we got a youth recruitment upgrade and my facilities in general are looking pretty good for this level.

My plan is to continue to focus on asking for Junior Coaching and Youth Recruitment upgrades and then once they are maxed out start focusing on Training Facilities (or when we have a surplus of money, which if we stay in League 2 is a strong possibility).

image.thumb.png.f99f2053b0dedef3d931280f7292355b.png

image.thumb.png.09ef1a3f10e2c58cdd14e8334248c304.png

image.thumb.png.897ecc3bb9fee2ad40fafc07944c05e4.png

Youth Intake Preview

Not the strongest preview we have had, but not the worst by any means. Our CM position is not our weakest area, but I only have one player who is excelling, so if we get another top prospect that could help us push on.

image.thumb.png.4b3211cf27044980b81835949aaf882f.png

Edited by glennuk

7 hours ago, WhiteCat33 said:

Did they have a Tycoon Takeover or something? Cant say I'd expect that large of a bid from them, or maybe I've just played in the Caribbean too long

They are a team-owned club, but league stats do have their finances listed as "rich" and the are spending $22.5m a year on salary, compared to the 2nd highest team in League One Bristol spending $15m

Oxford2.JPG.bb4c1b41f98dab1da020bf0f6db5947c.JPGoxford.JPG.1d9f871952a78b225dd310bad8c2befe.JPGOxford2.JPG.bb4c1b41f98dab1da020bf0f6db5947c.JPG

Questions for those who have managed in Japan

1. I am assuming you did, but in the J2 League did you have a random 45 day break in like September/October? I understand if I had focused on the cup and gone far in it, that would have accounted for some of that break, but it seems excessive.

2. Did anyone manage to get a foreign affiliate? So far the only affiliates I can get are based in Japan.

Seems like other Caribbean teams have started to notice our success and found out most of my players are on non-contracts, so they can be poached.. Just lost my best defender Edison Guerrero 29a to TLH Rangers in Trinidad & Tobago. Can't really blame him for leaving us to play professionally...

1FsyVDL.png

vpVWrdq.png

And then, a few days later, my other centre back got tapped up by another Trinbagonian side, AC PoS. Camilo Correa 28a is also one of my best players, so we got really screwed in just a few days!

92SMeV5.png

d7aGrxJ.png

This is the best challenge in FM, i started the same but with little difference (if i sacked, i turn on in another team, start unemployed etc) but only with youngsters, its very hard. I am i 2025 and i got promoted from Serie D to serie C with Gozzano, in second season