FM24 Early Access Official Feedback Thread

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Seen a lot of comments about too many corners in game. Certainly if you play on key highlights (as I usually do), it can seem that a lot of highlights start with a corner. I've been playing my last few matches on a mix of full and comprehensive highlights, and one thing I have noticed is that defenders are very quick to head the ball behind from a cross ball rather than heading it the opposite direction up the pitch, even in situations where a forward header would be the better option. Now, I'm managing in League 1 in Scotland so the decision making or quality not the same as at higher levels, but I thought I would just point that out. 

I'm convinced that the overall numbers we are seeing are linked to sequences of corners strung together one after another. I've seen this at both ends. It's like a side just can't / won't clear their lines and get up the pitch.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, greenz81 said:

SI, may i suggest something. Limit your options for the end-user. Remove 'Extended' highlights and make it 'Comprehensive' only. Make every match in 'Full Detail'. What im trying to say is create 2 modes. 'Hardcore' mode, Comprehensive highlights, full detail... basically you have a beast of a machine, run it. Or have the 'Easy' mode. Detailed highlights and 'basic' details. I think this would make it easier to dicepher what settings the user has and the problems they are experiencing... (had a liquid lunch so if it translates wrong, blame the juice!)

I'm struggling to see what problem you are trying to solve? (I believe corner numbers are in the right region, people are just noticing them more) The averages in the divisions across a quick test are in line. 

The highlight level doesn't affect what happens on the ME. If you have 10 corners in a game you'll have 10 corners regardless of if you're on full match or key highlights.

If you're talking about processing times, then it's full detail or none for the entire league. Full detail is full match engine, or none is the QME.

Just a one-off piece of feedback around a response to a harsh team talk (have seen similar issues around volatile reactions in general among team dynamics re squad depth etc). Apologies for the lengthy post!

We were at home in the cup against a side in the division below, I rotated a little bringing in 5 or so good quality squad players (2.5-3 star) to get some game time, thinking the side was still strong enough to get a result.

Concede in first 8 mins, then opposition player sent off after 12 minutes. Changed approach to a very patient possession based system given we were at home to a lower division side who were now a man down but a goal up (so likely to park the bus). Still 0-1 at half time so told the side they should be doing better and got a favourable response.

Replaced the squad players with the first choices with around 30 mins to go but even my now strongest team still couldn't produce much. Eventually got a 90th minute equaliser with a long range effort but went on to lose on penalties.

We had 40% possession (with 11 vs 10!), xG of 1.03 vs their 0.52, only 3 shots on target vs their 2 so it's not like we were FM'ed, it was a poor performance against an inferior side with 10 men.

Now, I can count on one hand the number of times I've 'thrown the water bottle' since this was introduced as an option in FM, but I thought this was as good a time as any for this to be an appropriate full time team talk.

Most players reacted positively but I now have a mini revolt on my hands with 4 players upset. I was called into a meeting as my captain and team leader thought my 'team talks have been confusing and concerning...' - yet with 6 competitive games into this season, this is the first time I've had an unfavourable response to a team talk, so as well as not being sure why my captain is confused, I'm also not sure why team talks (plural) are being referenced.

Could it be a loss on penalties is considered a 'draw' over 90 minutes in terms of the team talk so maybe that's why it was considered more harshly?

I understand it would be a huge coding mission but would be great if some of the promised improvements to interactions (such as "Increased context for reactions will also be provided where suitable, helping to provide additional reasoning and opportunities to convince them to change their opinion if you’re not quite on the same page about a conversation topic" which admittedly is relating to personal player interactions) could be applied to a situation like this. I should be able to justify my team talk by referencing the performance and/or situation in some way - we were at home, heavy favourites, against 10 men for 80 minutes, low possession, not enough shots, etc etc. Instead we have the generic 'back down' / 'dismiss' / 'convince' options which never seem to get the right response anyway.

My managerial support is green albeit 'average' at the moment, I have a strong influence over a number of players and my performance as manager is having a positive effect on the players so it's not like I'm a low reputation new manager who they don't trust and are disenchanted with. 

The additional context I referenced above is obviously a tricky one but perhaps the initial reaction to harsh team talks should have some sharper logic taking into account the situation and performance more closely, either resulting in no issue being raised by the player or at least them being more open to 'dismiss' or 'convince' responses to quash the problem.

Hoping interactions and dynamics will continue to be worked on before full release.

17 hours ago, f.zaarour said:

Hmm that doesnt sound good. Im trying to win a FM24 give away hopefully to play it as buying it aint an option for me sadly, although im rly triggered to experience this new game hehe. But i can understand ur vision on it. I also saw transfers like Varane from Man U to a saudi club for 250 million. I mean come on, that doesnt make sense at all! -_- 

Im keeping an eye here to see others experiences on the game, well the early acces ofcourse. Some have been good, some gives u some doubt, like yours. 

Hey, so while I think all opinions are valid, I would advise to try it yourself when the full game comes out if that's still a thing - that is, before making a decision on whether or not to purchase. While some parts, like what the original poster referred to, are legit concerns, there are also positives IMO. I think, all in all, you just need to decide what you care most about and if you care more for the positive vs the negative aspects. For me, I think there are still some ridiculous goings on in other parts of the game but the ME is the thing I care for the most and I haven't been as amazed by any other ME as I have been this year. But don't listen to me alone...take the whole picture, if there's a trial on full release do that, and then decide what matters to you! 

Also, it's been a while...hope you've been doing alright :brock:

I do like how there's a mini game when at a stadium with corrugated iron roofs.

It's a football stadium roof version of what shape is that cloud.

What shape is that stain?

image.png.23ff4fff3337aba17143a842c2578b2c.png

*Yes, I know it's the same graphic, but the angles make it look different.

Yes, I'm trying to be funny. The game is very good this year.

Loving the new match engine and processing speeds in this beta. I’m wondering if watching on comprehensive is possible again, are there still too many offside highlights?

My main problem with the game so far is definitely the interactions, like a lot of people have already mentioned. Players reacting negatively to me praising their training, complaining about squad depth an hour after signing a player for that position and team talks seem to be really flaky.

Also, to everyone having a lot of injury problems, have you tried amending your training schedule? I’ve found that there’s some pretty intense schedules that can fall on a day before a match.

Edited by brawla123

3 minutes ago, brawla123 said:

Loving the new match engine and processing speeds in this beta. I’m wondering if watching on comprehensive is possible again, are there still too many offside highlights?

My main problem with the game so far is definitely the interactions, like a lot of people have already mentioned. Players reacting negatively to me praising their training, complaining about squad depth an hour after signing a player for that position and team talks seem to be really flaky.

Also, to everyone having a lot of injury problems, have you tried amending your training schedule? I’ve found that there’s some pretty intense schedules that can fall on a day before a match.

One of the best things they've fixed this year. A lot of the offsides from comprehensive have been removed (I'm presuming, unless it's the same as 23 but with a lot less offsides)!, with just enough left in to keep you on your toes.

2 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Seen a lot of comments about too many corners in game. Certainly if you play on key highlights (as I usually do), it can seem that a lot of highlights start with a corner. I've been playing my last few matches on a mix of full and comprehensive highlights, and one thing I have noticed is that defenders are very quick to head the ball behind from a cross ball rather than heading it the opposite direction up the pitch, even in situations where a forward header would be the better option. Now, I'm managing in League 1 in Scotland so the decision making or quality not the same as at higher levels, but I thought I would just point that out. 

I'm with you on this one. I generally don't like anecdotal complaints so I haven't made any bug reports yet but so far I've had the same thing happen. In general I've noticed the threshold for heading the ball away in fear (for corner, throw in or just to the opposition) doesn't appear very high. Again, this is still anecdotal so I am trying to test out different mentalities to see if the patterns are as egregious at higher mentality. 

For your comment about League 1, I'm playing with Arsenal and seeing similar. More to come...

I currently have a player unhappy about a team talk made when he wasn't even contracted to the club, he signed a month and two days after it \o/

Either it's a bug or we have a **** stirrer in the dressing room.

1 hour ago, Domoboy23 said:

I'm struggling to see what problem you are trying to solve? (I believe corner numbers are in the right region, people are just noticing them more) The averages in the divisions across a quick test are in line. 

The highlight level doesn't affect what happens on the ME. If you have 10 corners in a game you'll have 10 corners regardless of if you're on full match or key highlights.

If you're talking about processing times, then it's full detail or none for the entire league. Full detail is full match engine, or none is the QME.

Im trying to help SI find the trees in the forest! I work in a helpdesk environment and constantly have to ping questions back and forward. It can be frustrating to get this out of an end-user who is already frustrated and basically not willing to help anymore because they believe the problem lies with us. So my idea is to make basically an ‘Simple’ mode and ‘Hardcore’ mode. This would help the QA team figure out how and why the problem is occurring with what group. Hope that makes sense. I’m only trying to solve a problem, not create one 

As every year I wait for the release day to have the physical box in my collection :) in the meantime, out of curiousity..

- how does it work with last UK's work permit rules? Planning about a career from non-league to the top in case they're not so restrictive with wonderkids...

- do you still see very very very few decent young newgen FB as it was in FM23?

Thanks in advance to those who'll answer!

2 minutes ago, greenz81 said:

Im trying to help SI find the trees in the forest! I work in a helpdesk environment and constantly have to ping questions back and forward. It can be frustrating to get this out of an end-user who is already frustrated and basically not willing to help anymore because they believe the problem lies with us. So my idea is to make basically an ‘Simple’ mode and ‘Hardcore’ mode. This would help the QA team figure out how and why the problem is occurring with what group. Hope that makes sense. I’m only trying to solve a problem, not create one 

To explain it again ‘simple’ mode is no details and extended view… so stats will be warped and what you see will be basic but who cares, it’s simple mode! ‘hardcore’ would be full detail match and comprehensive! I feel the options are too ‘loose’ and makes problem solving and rumours a problem

I have just watched my first Vanarama NL South match and I felt compelled to come here and say how it seems like lower level football more than I can recall in previous versions of FM.

Dover v Torquay.pkm

Long ball really is long ball and there was the right mix of crunching tackle and complete mis reading of the game.

Seeing a big 6 foot centre forward come powering through the defence to bullet a header home was very satisfying. As is the way my wing back didn't head straight for the touchline, or drift out wide. He just put the pedal to the metal and steamed passed his marker before putting a great cross on to the striker's head.

Rarely saw football like that in past FMs.

I will echo some concerns about the number of corners. It feels like there are too many, even though the match stats sowed just 7 for Dover and 8 for us in the game above.

I did have a friendly against Dorchester in which I really felt like corners were too abundant. There were a lot that time.

image.png.119e41b3072282b2429dfd9324fa20c3.png

There's also something to be said for balls being headed behind an overabundance of times. At NLS level I would expect it, but if it's happening at Arsenal then I wonder if that can be tuned.

I actually thought last year's match engine from beta was excellent. I'm loving this year's even more.

I do love the polish to the stadiums too.

Edited by anagain

4 minutes ago, greenz81 said:

To explain it again ‘simple’ mode is no details and extended view… so stats will be warped and what you see will be basic but who cares, it’s simple mode! ‘hardcore’ would be full detail match and comprehensive! I feel the options are too ‘loose’ and makes problem solving and rumours a problem

I understand what you are trying to point to, but personally I think that's the exact wrong way to go about it. Your suggestion would lead to _less_ ways of playing the game as one would like. You are streamlining for the sake of streamlining, and the benefits would be negligible. If you think a new option of "easy" would be a good thing, then fine, but restricting others to customize the game to fit how they want, by either limiting options or forcing features onto the player base is not something I think SI should do. I think they would face a massive backlash if they did so. Personally, I feel I play the game in a rather "hardcore" mode. I self-restrict myself by playing a youth-only save, in that I never buy or loan players. I'm playing as Folkestone and my end goal is to win the Champions League. Will I complete my goals? Probably not, but those are still my goals, and I'd say that's pretty "hardcore". But following your suggestion, I would have to play all my matches in full, rather than how I do now where I switch between key and extended based on how I feel I understand each match.

As for the detail level, that's doesn't impact the player at all, and I think you have a wrong understanding of what that entails. All matches in any competition you play in will be forced into full detail, so you'll never have no details for your competitions. The only think level of detail impacts is if the games are played out in the full match engine or the QME (quick match engine), and that's only for matches outside what directly impacts your club. The reason for this is only based on the speed of processing. So if you would force full detail, the only effect is a massive waiting time for people who play "hardcore". And the complete opposite for the others who like to play "simple". Refusing them details, or more extensive highlights for that matter, will only force them into something they might not want.

So what would be the benefit from this change? I really can't see it. My wish would be more customisation in regards to highlights, where you can tick off what you want (corners, freekicks in the final third, CCCs, half chances, etc), so everyone can fine tune the experience to better fit how they enjoy the game. Ideally, I'd want the whole game itself to be this modular, so you could add and remove the features that makes the game more suited to the preference of each player. Sort of in the way that in Civ6 you can add game modes (corporations, barbarian clans, etc) or even victory conditions. This is mainly a single player game, so why not let the players fine turne the experience? Now, I know why FM doesn't as it would essentially require a hell of a lot of splitting up systems and then working out how they connect to each other, as well as a whole lot more testing. But in the ideal world, this is how I would want the game to work.

43 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

One of the best things they've fixed this year. A lot of the offsides from comprehensive have been removed (I'm presuming, unless it's the same as 23 but with a lot less offsides)!, with just enough left in to keep you on your toes.

Thanks, I'll give it a try tonight!

1 hour ago, KeegBCFC said:

I currently have a player unhappy about a team talk made when he wasn't even contracted to the club, he signed a month and two days after it \o/

Either it's a bug or we have a **** stirrer in the dressing room.

Yeahh  i find it real fun maybe because I  take it as what it is, a game, lots of imaginations required, The last thought could be true someones going around spoiling your name to pple who don't even know you(probably those who got mad at the interview talk)

Has there been an explanation somewhere on why exactly there are so many more players  loaded when using your world/real world versus original? Depending on setup for the exact numbers, but just a lot (for example 55k to 95k). Italy down to Serie C alone accounts for a 14k increase between your world and original while the difference for Spain with all leagues selected is only about 2k with my setup.
Just seems a little bit weird.  Especially since "real World" comes with the disclaimer (more added) yet for "your world" it's very nearly as many more players. 

Edited by Marinho

Thought I would provide one piece of feedback, because I am enjoying the game - although not playing now because of unrelated things. The Wide Playmaker role has gone through quite the rework and I am here for it. Either because of the improved match engine or just that you guys really did something with the role, it is a game changer for me. They cut inside, they dribble, they hang back to let the mezzala go forward or wait for the overlapping wingback and they shoot! They are a goal threat and they are awesome, they are a much more noticable presence than they were in '22 or '23. They do all this in a flat 4-1-4-1, which I never could make work with a WP, in a 4-4-2 the WP was quite good, but not what I wanted.

I said earlier that interactions were the one remaining big issue with the game, and it seems like in some situations they're just as bad as they've ever been.

End of season chat, team just promoted to the top flight and will almost certainly be one of the favourites to go down.  On opening the conversation, one of the players says how there's no reason why we can't have a strong season.  I tell them we can avoid relegation, even if that's via the relegation playoff.  Can anyone guess how well they took that?  If you guessed "Offended", congratulations!  My insistence that "here, guys, I don't think you're all completely useless, my opinion is that you can not be the 12th worst team in a league already full of a lot of rubbish", sure changed their minds.  Now instead of being offended, a few of them are insulted instead.  waaaaay.

EDIT: And more highlights from the same conversation.  I tell them I'm going to give youth a chance, and the only specific comment is one of my players reacting "expressionless" with "I can't say I'm too bothered".  Like someone replying on reddit with "This" or something.  Why is that response picked out over the ones that are actually positive with the promise?  And of course, once I say "that's it" for promises (because the available list got massively cut down on the 2nd go around), the same person who didn't care about my first one now moans that he expected to see more.  

Next comment, along the lines of the board aims.  I tell them we've done well to adapt to our new style of play.  We've exceeded expectations, although admittedly not by much, and won the league.  We were a bit awkward at times, but near enough the best defence, best forward line, surely that's not a controversial thing to say?  Most agree.  Except one.  And his reply gives me pretty much nothing to work with beyond him being a moany dick (which he is in real life, to be fair).  

I'm not convinced players are coded to be at all human in these conversations.  I'm sure it's a really difficult thing to get right given so many agents all interacting with each other, but when the game is probably in the greatest state it's ever been in, it's really galling that interactions are still so nonsensical.

Edited by forameuss

17 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

There's no option to overspend and hope you can cover it at all (as described in the feature blogs).

The last feature blog clarified that.

https://www.footballmanager.com/features/more-gameplay-deep-dives

We've spoken about you overspending, but I wanted to clarify that this doesn't mean that all of a sudden you can spend what you want in-game. You still have a transfer budget, after all. It's the board who decide whether you've overspent or not across a season, based on their priorities, and obviously those priorities can change during a season - both positively and negatively.

So, you might take over a team at the start of the game (or when moving to another team) with a negative transfer budget. You may have your budget cut during the season based on a bunch of different factors including FFP and league position and find yourself needing to sell a player. The board's plans may also change from one season to the next.

And, of course, any of those factors could increase your transfer budget too - overperform and chase a UEFA Champions League spot, and maybe your board will give you more money to spend in the mid-season transfer window.

5 minutes ago, XaW said:

I think they must have realised they made a boo boo when they initially announced it as it sounded like you could overspend in the hope you'd sell later on to cover the shortfall.

In other words do a Barcelona.

Which from a gameplay standpoint was way more interesting than what they've done as it would have involved some risk reward type shenanigans on the players part.

1 minute ago, kiwityke1983 said:

I think they must have realised they made a boo boo when they initially announced it as it sounded like you could overspend in the hope you'd sell later on to cover the shortfall.

In other words do a Barcelona.

Which from a gameplay standpoint was way more interesting than what they've done as it would have involved some risk reward type shenanigans on the players part.

Oh, I agree, the initial post made it kinda look like this, and that's probably why they felt the need to clarify it in that one. This is just me speculating though.

I think it would be good if you could.... slightly.... overspend it, but face the consequences if you didn't recuperate the money fast enough.

For the first time ever, I'm actually struggling to cope with this game because of the interactions. 

In my new save, had the same old thing, squad going nuts because of a lack of depth in goal, so signed another keeper (I'm in Scottish League 1 so had to get a loanee in as I've no money to bring one in permanent), but they're still not happy. I've now just had the monthly staff meeting where I was notified a couple of players are now unhappy about the squad depth up front, despite this being, by far, our strongest area of the team in terms of quality AND numbers. 

Please fix this, it's completely ruining an otherwise great game. :(

No idea what the score is with imported saves from fm23, so wouldn't put this in the bug forum but this feels pretty unlikely and simply never happened on fm23 for me.

image.png.04e2a61c23b9eeaf51db1f5a9393db43.png 

image.png.fd043cd75c2d0d4dcf3312ede38decf8.png

His reasoning being Al Nassr made them his top target...for £42m. Arsenal are 2nd behind Liverpool, comfortably through in the CL fwiw. No other unhappiness in the squad, Saka was giddily happy with life before this.

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

For the first time ever, I'm actually struggling to cope with this game because of the interactions. 

In my new save, had the same old thing, squad going nuts because of a lack of depth in goal, so signed another keeper (I'm in Scottish League 1 so had to get a loanee in as I've no money to bring one in permanent), but they're still not happy. I've now just had the monthly staff meeting where I was notified a couple of players are now unhappy about the squad depth up front, despite this being, by far, our strongest area of the team in terms of quality AND numbers. 

Please fix this, it's completely ruining an otherwise great game. :(

You have mentioned interaction issues a number of times so it would be good if you could report these in the Bugs forum to enable the developers to have a look.  It is clear that it is not right yet and any examples posted will help to make it better.

1 hour ago, Purple Bane said:

No idea what the score is with imported saves from fm23, so wouldn't put this in the bug forum but this feels pretty unlikely and simply never happened on fm23 for me.

image.png.04e2a61c23b9eeaf51db1f5a9393db43.png 

image.png.fd043cd75c2d0d4dcf3312ede38decf8.png

His reasoning being Al Nassr made them his top target...for £42m. Arsenal are 2nd behind Liverpool, comfortably through in the CL fwiw. No other unhappiness in the squad, Saka was giddily happy with life before this.

This was in FM23. If a player was a top target for another team they always wanted to leave. That said they would normally try and match the players value though. If there is enough time left on his contract you should be able to wait it out.

Which players would logically move to Saudi is going to open a can of worms this year.

Edited by Dotsworthy

Yeah i had it with PSG and Bayern generally but you sort of accept that, especially early game.  Can often ride it out by agreeing a very big fee to accept if it comes in but irksome nonetheless.

A difficult balance i guess but they have to find the balance. Will a Ruben Neves go there in his prime if his team accept the offer and he gets massive wages? Yeah we know that. Would Saka kick up a stink at Arsenal turning down £42m from Al Nassr at 21 after his £200k/week contract? Nah.

Edited by Purple Bane

12 hours ago, odigweg said:

Hey, so while I think all opinions are valid, I would advise to try it yourself when the full game comes out if that's still a thing - that is, before making a decision on whether or not to purchase. While some parts, like what the original poster referred to, are legit concerns, there are also positives IMO. I think, all in all, you just need to decide what you care most about and if you care more for the positive vs the negative aspects. For me, I think there are still some ridiculous goings on in other parts of the game but the ME is the thing I care for the most and I haven't been as amazed by any other ME as I have been this year. But don't listen to me alone...take the whole picture, if there's a trial on full release do that, and then decide what matters to you! 

Also, it's been a while...hope you've been doing alright :brock:

Yo, thanks. Ye ur right. Thats what im trying, watching all sort of feedbacks to see how it is (but the transfers seems to much imo, saw someone transfering 250 mil for Varane lol, or saw Estupinian going to the saudi league on a 950K pounds a week wage, crazy lol). The game is so triggering to get still lol, but ye meanwhile i try to win a give away which are out there hehe. 🙈

Btw nice to meet u here again. Thought u werent here anymore hehe. I messaged u a while ago, to see how u doing and to show my appreciation. Didnt forget ur gesture at all. 🙏 Hope u doing all good too. 

Edited by f.zaarour

5 hours ago, FrazT said:

You have mentioned interaction issues a number of times so it would be good if you could report these in the Bugs forum to enable the developers to have a look.  It is clear that it is not right yet and any examples posted will help to make it better.

I posted this exact same squad depth issue a few days ago in the bugs forum and they've been able to replicate it so hopefully it gets fixed.

The biggest problem I have with it is seemingly no amount of actual depth makes the issue go away.

You can sign 6 above average for your league players in that position and they stay mad.

1 hour ago, kiwityke1983 said:

I posted this exact same squad depth issue a few days ago in the bugs forum and they've been able to replicate it so hopefully it gets fixed.

The biggest problem I have with it is seemingly no amount of actual depth makes the issue go away.

You can sign 6 above average for your league players in that position and they stay mad.

I'm 2 seasons in and I've had one player come to with it and he backed down after I told him to stuff it. Seems this is happening very variably for people. And I even play the youth only and finished the first season with 12 players at the club... Still almost no complaints.

1 minute ago, XaW said:

I'm 2 seasons in and I've had one player come to with it and he backed down after I told him to stuff it. Seems this is happening very variably for people. And I even play the youth only and finished the first season with 12 players at the club... Still almost no complaints.

Yep it seems to only fire when you aren't lacking squad depth, from my own experience and reading the very many examples of it here and on Reddit.

Had it twice at Barnsley even though the squad depth was just fine.

Second save at PSG I had literally one left fullback and one right back...not a peep from the squad about depth.

I've currently got 1 fit AMC (and 2 at the club) again nothing said.

But apparently 7 CBs all with league relevant CA and most with higher league PA wasn't enough at Oakwell!

It's bizarre.