First time playing the mobile game - Its fun :)

Bought this using my pile of unused "google rewards" credit months ago, but only recently fired it up.  Surprised it runs so well on my weak tablet, so that's a plus.  Bonus points for the CM03/04 visual match engine too, nice to reminice (although I am still playing CM93 due to the great newish community on facebook (John Doolan, if you know, you know...) and just been tipped off that 01/02 was "fixed" not so long ago so that certain tactics don't entirely break the game)

But primary game right now is FM23 Mobile.  Its all very familiar of course, and as aluded above, I'm enjoying a more simple game - if I want full-depth, I can fire up the full version any time.

One thing I have noticed, is that Star ratings seem to fluctuate wildly from week to week.  Both Current and Potential seem to go from 4* one week to 2* a few weeks later - I've hardly bought any players so far so I don't think its because I suddenly increased the average rating of the squad.  

Also, one I don't get - on the coach screen there's THREE star ratings.  Current, Potential and "Another One". underneath, and often that 3rd one doesn't match either of the other 2.  Can anyone tell me what this is???

And do scouts' star ratings match coaches?  I used to get quite annoyed when my scouts would tell me there was a 4 star potential player, and then they'd arrive only for my coaches to tell me they're 2* and basically trash.

(Noticed this forum isn't too active - I got to page 3 or 4 and realised it was threads from a year ago.  Is this version not popular?)

Edited by petertr

• SI Staff
4 hours ago, petertr said:

Bought this using my pile of unused "google rewards" credit months ago, but only recently fired it up.  Surprised it runs so well on my weak tablet, so that's a plus.  Bonus points for the CM03/04 visual match engine too, nice to reminice (although I am still playing CM93 due to the great newish community on facebook (John Doolan, if you know, you know...) and just been tipped off that 01/02 was "fixed" not so long ago so that certain tactics don't entirely break the game)

Glad you're enjoying it - when I first made it the intent was to make it play similarly to our earlier games so that's great to hear :D

One thing I have noticed, is that Star ratings seem to fluctuate wildly from week to week.  Both Current and Potential seem to go from 4* one week to 2* a few weeks later - I've hardly bought any players so far so I don't think its because I suddenly increased the average rating of the squad.  

Star Ratings for youngsters will be a LOT more volatile than for older players generally - this is simply because peoples opinion of them can vary hugely based on recent performances, a hot kid coming through can end up stiffing for a few games and being discarded as I'm sure you're well aware ... as they play more and mature your coaches will give a more reliable rating, until they do its up to you as manager to decide (err otherwise the games really just playing itself ;) ).

Also, one I don't get - on the coach screen there's THREE star ratings.  Current, Potential and "Another One". underneath, and often that 3rd one doesn't match either of the other 2.  Can anyone tell me what this is???

The third rating is that of the player mentioned in the text to give you a comparison against the current player - eg. For Dunk in my game it says "Dunk is marginally better thann our next strongest central defender Joel Veltman." and shows 3.5*

(which is arguably a bug because every Brighton fan knows Dunk is a God amongst men and should. always been rated 5* and be stated as 'Ludicrously ignored by the England International Manager far too often." ;)

And do scouts' star ratings match coaches?  I used to get quite annoyed when my scouts would tell me there was a 4 star potential player, and then they'd arrive only for my coaches to tell me they're 2* and basically trash.

(Noticed this forum isn't too active - I got to page 3 or 4 and realised it was threads from a year ago.  Is this version not popular?)

There may well be some difference between the two - but if you have good people in both roles they probably won't be huge differences.

(also do bear in mind that outside of 'ability' mental stuff is important - I'd prefer to have a 3* Driven Professional personality goalkeeper than a 5* Erratic one .. so always check out their personalities and such)

PS - With regards to the forum, its liveliest around release times for obvious reasons, there are also some 'fan sites' for the game which have forums which are reasonably busy also.

27 minutes ago, Marc Vaughan said:

Glad you're enjoying it - when I first made it the intent was to make it play similarly to our earlier games so that's great to hear :D

Star Ratings for youngsters will be a LOT more volatile than for older players generally - this is simply because peoples opinion of them can vary hugely based on recent performances, a hot kid coming through can end up stiffing for a few games and being discarded as I'm sure you're well aware ... as they play more and mature your coaches will give a more reliable rating, until they do its up to you as manager to decide (err otherwise the games really just playing itself ;) ).

The third rating is that of the player mentioned in the text to give you a comparison against the current player - eg. For Dunk in my game it says "Dunk is marginally better thann our next strongest central defender Joel Veltman." and shows 3.5*

(which is arguably a bug because every Brighton fan knows Dunk is a God amongst men and should. always been rated 5* and be stated as 'Ludicrously ignored by the England International Manager far too often." ;)

There may well be some difference between the two - but if you have good people in both roles they probably won't be huge differences.

(also do bear in mind that outside of 'ability' mental stuff is important - I'd prefer to have a 3* Driven Professional personality goalkeeper than a 5* Erratic one .. so always check out their personalities and such)

PS - With regards to the forum, its liveliest around release times for obvious reasons, there are also some 'fan sites' for the game which have forums which are reasonably busy also.

Bloody hell, a reply from Marc himself.  

I totally get the 3rd rating now, its to compare to the best player in that position.  Makes total sense.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Would be great if you could set players to specific positions for that comparison - If someone is a better CB than LB, doesn't mean he might not be the 3rd best CB at the club, but actually the best LB.  Not even sure if that makes sense :)

2 hours ago, petertr said:

Would be great if you could set players to specific positions for that comparison - If someone is a better CB than LB, doesn't mean he might not be the 3rd best CB at the club, but actually the best LB.  Not even sure if that makes sense :)

The Team report section can help you with that, in the squad depth section.

Hi @Marc Vaughan

Spotted a couple of bugs maybe? 

When I scout a player you get the pot and current stars in the news report. 

If I then tap on the report, the stars on the full report don't match!  I notice the same issue on the scouted players list too in that they don't match the report. 

Any idea why? 

Another I've noticed, playing as Sunderland I've accepted some decent offers for Cirkin (5m) and Patterson (15m) but their wages barely went up. Youd think they'd expect more than 4k pw at Liverpool After signing for 15mil? 

In the game, a couple more. Such as the visual highlight just stopping (fade away) just as a cross is coming into the box before anyone has got the next touch. 

Or text highlights that just stop (he's gets the ball, he's running into the box..... Then just nothing) 

And so many indirect free kicks? 

Just thought I'd mention it. Cheers. 

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, petertr said:

Hi @Marc Vaughan

Spotted a couple of bugs maybe? 

When I scout a player you get the pot and current stars in the news report. 

If I then tap on the report, the stars on the full report don't match!  I notice the same issue on the scouted players list too in that they don't match the report. 

Any idea why? 

There are a number of reasons - normally involving the reports coming from different staff who have slightly different opinions - but I'd be interested in taking a look and check ot be sure.

Another I've noticed, playing as Sunderland I've accepted some decent offers for Cirkin (5m) and Patterson (15m) but their wages barely went up. Youd think they'd expect more than 4k pw at Liverpool After signing for 15mil? 

I'm surpriced their wages didn't go up more - but if they were signed as youngsters they'll probably be fairly patient until they feature in the first team as irl tbh.

In the game, a couple more. Such as the visual highlight just stopping (fade away) just as a cross is coming into the box before anyone has got the next touch. 

Or text highlights that just stop (he's gets the ball, he's running into the box..... Then just nothing) 

And so many indirect free kicks? 

I'm always looking at improving the visual highlights - there is always a hard balance to make between making the highlights feel 'complete' and slowing down the game and making matches drag out, sometimes I get it wrong (sorry).

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2023 at 00:01, Marc Vaughan said:

There are a number of reasons - normally involving the reports coming from different staff who have slightly different opinions - but I'd be interested in taking a look and check ot be sure.

I'm surpriced their wages didn't go up more - but if they were signed as youngsters they'll probably be fairly patient until they feature in the first team as irl tbh.

I'm always looking at improving the visual highlights - there is always a hard balance to make between making the highlights feel 'complete' and slowing down the game and making matches drag out, sometimes I get it wrong (sorry).

I'm getting the scouting problem all the time.  The scout news report not matching the numbers on the Scouting page, and then the scout report in the player profile page.  I can't really trust the scouting system if I don't know which is the correct one.   Shouldn't the most recent scout interaction overwrite what was already there if there isn't an option to view the different scout reports I've received over time? [edit: rechecked this, and the date of the Scout Report on the player profile is shown, and its not being overwritten - this is the problem, but at least I know which one to trust now]

Its kinda a game breaker, as the star rating will be based on the data of the time?  Plus asking prices can vary from time to time.

Would be good to have the option to manually chose which columns show in the scout report too - for me, all I care about is Name, Age, Position, C*, P*, Asking Price and Expected Wage

As for the visual highlights, you know, we don't need to see the kick off each half - text comments will do for that if set to Key Highlights only, perhaps?

Oh, and loads and loads of indirect freekicks - I didn't think those existed anymore (i.e. the old obstruction foul - I know there's a few limited cases where indirect free kicks still exist, offside, backpass rule and a few other fringe cases)

BTW, is there any way to get the files for the game so I can install in bluestacks on my work PC?  I can't get Bluestacks to connect to google play to install it from there.  I know this sounds like piracy!!!  I did buy it, honest!! (with free Google Rewards credit ha :) ).  I've got a ticket open with BS, so I'll keep working away at that.

Edited by petertr

• 6 months later...

Hi @Marc Vaughan

I lost access to the 23 game as my tablet couldnt manage to update so I was stuck on an old version.  Tried to remove and reinstall, but no joy.   Ultimately I've spent hours reflashing the tablet with Lineage to try to fix the problem.  But does the game require google's framework to run?  The apk I picked up hangs on the license info screen then crashes the tablet.

I'm considering even reflashing the entire thing and adding Gapps this time, but then I cannot find the game on the play store either!  I can find my order though, screenshot below.

What can I do?  The only reason I dumped hours into working on this tablet was to get this working! 

(I don't have, nor need Netflix either fwiw.)

image.jpeg.2d49b60d7966a127389aef5595ba01ff.jpeg

• SI Staff

I believe it should be available somehow through your previous purchases/owned apps - I'll have to ask someone from QA to explain it more fully as I'm afraid at the moment I only have an iPhone/iPad and I'm wary of talking you through it in case something has changed since I last used the android store myself.

@petertr - Similarly to what @Marc Vaughan has suggested, the path is "Play Store - Selected Google account profile - Manage apps and device - Manage and view the 'Not Installed Apps". Once here you should be able to install the game again, as long as you're on the same Google that originally purchased it.

Outside of this, our options are limited. I'd suggest contacting Google if you are experiencing issues locating the purchase if the above doesn't work. We can only assist with the version obtained directly from the Play Store.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dan Sheppard said:

@petertr - Similarly to what @Marc Vaughan has suggested, the path is "Play Store - Selected Google account profile - Manage apps and device - Manage and view the 'Not Installed Apps". Once here you should be able to install the game again, as long as you're on the same Google that originally purchased it.

Outside of this, our options are limited. I'd suggest contacting Google if you are experiencing issues locating the purchase if the above doesn't work. We can only assist with the version obtained directly from the Play Store.

Thanks.  I knew there was a way, I just couldn't remember.  Found it now.

Looks like I have have to reflast the device as you can't add Googles-ecosystem after you've used Lineage for even a moment, you have to flash them both one after the other - worried I'll get the same issue in end though, but its worth a shot.

Or I could just buy a new tablet ;-)

Edited by petertr