Counter pressing and trigger pressing + counter attack

Good day guys. I want to ask a question? Is counter pressing, trigger pressing and counter attacking the same thing? Like for example am coaching a team and I want them to counter press only without counter attacking. Is it the same thing as wanting another team to always trigger press while not counter pressing but the team counter attacks? 

1 hour ago, umole2k said:

Good day guys. I want to ask a question? Is counter pressing, trigger pressing and counter attacking the same thing? 

No sir, all different things

Counter Pressing is a transition instruction, team lose the ball then Counter Press back, this is a short period of time 

Trigger Press is the team's general press off the ball 

Counter Attack is exactly that, another transition, if it's favourable for the team, they will look to trigger a counter and flood numbers forward, this window is also a short period of time 

Thank you for your response but I want to point out two scenarios and ask if they mean the same thing. In one instance I use counter pressing alone and trigger press is set to the max limit. In another scenario I use counter attack and trigger pressing is set to max limit. My question is are they doing the same thing? Cos to me I understand counter pressing to be pressing the ball and winning it back and then starting a counter attack

46 minutes ago, umole2k said:

I understand counter pressing to be pressing the ball and winning it back. and then starting a counter attack

Counter-pressing is the action of trying to recover the ball as soon as you lose it. Is a defensive transition instruction.

Starting a counter-attack after winning the ball back is an attacking transition instruction.

They are different phases of play. Man City counter-press but then uses to hold position when regain it. Liverpool counter-press and then starts the counter-attack when regains possession.

Triger press is an out of possession / defensive organization instruction. Instructs to your players how often they will press when a trigger occurs. If they will do it all the time or if they will wait until the perfect moment. Common triggers are: a bad first touch, a slow pass, receiving the ball facing your own goal.

Edited by bosque

12 minutes ago, bosque said:

Counter-pressing is the action of trying to recover the ball as soon as you lose it. Is a defensive transition instruction.

Starting a counter-attack after winning the ball back is an attacking transition instruction.

They are different phases of play. Man City counter-press but then uses to hold position when regain it. Liverpool counter-press and then starts the counter-attack when regains possession.

Triger press is an out of possession / defensive organization instruction. Instructs to your players how often they will press when a trigger occurs. If they will do it all the time or if they will wait until the perfect moment. Common triggers are: a bad first touch, a slow pass, receiving the ball facing your own goal.

Wow. Thank you so much for your response. One last question. What happens when: 

1) I use counter press and counter attack? 

2) I counter press and default settings were I dont select counter attack or hold position? 

3 hours ago, umole2k said:

2) I counter press and default settings were I dont select counter attack or hold position? 

It will combine the individual instructions as they've explained it above. 

Tis impact the tendency of the team, and the players in it, to do something. Leaving a slot blank gives more discretion to the player on what to do in/out of possession. 

Edited by Cloud9

2 hours ago, umole2k said:

1) your team will try to recover possession as soon as it lost it and then when they won it back they will try to counter-attack inmediatly.

2) Cloud9 answered it pretty well 👍

On 30/09/2023 at 00:14, Cloud9 said:

It will combine the individual instructions as they've explained it above. 

Tis impact the tendency of the team, and the players in it, to do something. Leaving a slot blank gives more discretion to the player on what to do in/out of possession. 

So what happens if trigger press is on the least slide and I counter press? 

1 hour ago, umole2k said:

So what happens if trigger press is on the least slide and I counter press? 

Try it and find out is my best advice.  Trigger press is when you don't have the ball and are defending, counter press is when you have just lost the ball after having it. Its 2 different things. Finally mentality affects a lot of things and so does defensive line and line of engagement. My answer to your question could potentially be an essay for multiple scenarios.

10 hours ago, Rashidi said:

Try it and find out is my best advice.  Trigger press is when you don't have the ball and are defending, counter press is when you have just lost the ball after having it. Its 2 different things. Finally mentality affects a lot of things and so does defensive line and line of engagement. My answer to your question could potentially be an essay for multiple scenarios.

Thanks @Rashidi I appreciate your response

Edited by umole2k

• 5 weeks later...

What does one need to do to implement a perfect counter press? I have tried training schedule that train it. I have also tried roles that play it too. What am i missing cos my players don't counter press 

Il y a 1 heure, umole2k a dit :

What does one need to do to implement a perfect counter press? I have tried training schedule that train it. I have also tried roles that play it too. What am i missing cos my players don't counter press 

Maybe your players can't.

You need players with good work rate, agression, team work, but also with good physicals attributes, like stamina, pace and acceleration.

1 hour ago, coach vahid said:

Maybe your players can't.

You need players with good work rate, agression, team work, but also with good physicals attributes, like stamina, pace and acceleration.

Is that all?

6 hours ago, umole2k said:

I dunno about perfect, because 0% of the time is anything gonna work 100% of the time, but it tends to aid the counterpress when your players are close together when they lose possession. If you happen to be playing quite wide, it may be that your players aren't getting counterpressing opportunities because there are too few players with access to the ball carrier in transition.

Also, yeah - attributes.

1 hour ago, vrig said:

I dunno about perfect, because 0% of the time is anything gonna work 100% of the time, but it tends to aid the counterpress when your players are close together when they lose possession. If you happen to be playing quite wide, it may be that your players aren't getting counterpressing opportunities because there are too few players with access to the ball carrier in transition.

Also, yeah - attributes.

I mostly play with a narrow width except if my opponents plays with a 5 at the back shape