Saudi League

Hi all,

Very much looking forward to playing FM24, just ordered the game and can't wait till the beta is out in a few weeks!

Just wanted to ask if the Saudi Pro league will be in the game? Or will I have to use league packs online to add the league?

Will the league have the same sort of financial power like we are seeing in the transfer market in real life at the moment?

6 minutes ago, Defensive said:

Transfer market has changed dramatically last summer. Whether you like it or not. How could a serious simulation of football just ignore that? It has to be reflected in the game in some way.

The teams and league already exist in the game, just not as playable. The problem may be that with the league picking up interest so late in the development cycle, they may not have the research or licensing required to get it in the game this time around.

vor 55 Minuten schrieb gunner86:

The teams and league already exist in the game, just not as playable. The problem may be that with the league picking up interest so late in the development cycle, they may not have the research or licensing required to get it in the game this time around.

Fair point. Still curious how the transfer market change is reflected in the game even if you cant play the league.

57 minutes ago, gunner86 said:

Yep.  Of course, it is entirely possible the league could be in the game and is yet to be announced, or maybe they're planning on adding it as a free DLC partway through the year like they did with Canada a few years ago?  

Even if it doesn't end up included in FM24 I'd fully expect it to end up in the game before too long.

I remember back in the days when China was really agressive in the transfer market

Even without the league playable you would have interests and big offers from this country IG, a bit different I reckon as the league was there, but Chinese teams were "part" of the transfer economy for EU and South Americans clubs

2 minutes ago, cris182 said:

Isn't the league already licensed elsewhere for the next couple of years?

It does look like EA have an exclusive licence at the moment, so on that basis I'd assume it won't be in FM24, at least not as an officially licenced league.

1 hour ago, Defensive said:

Transfer market has changed dramatically last summer. Whether you like it or not. How could a serious simulation of football just ignore that? It has to be reflected in the game in some way.

In every job where you have to make a product there are deadlines for certain things. The deadline for the features for FM24 might have been way before the Saudi shenanigans and non of us know what it takes to add a new league like putting together researchers, licences etc. They are not going disrupt everything they’ve already prepared for just to add that. There could also be the fact that they realised they still have time to reflect it somehow in the game and we won’t know until we play it 

3 hours ago, BillyM19 said:

So it might not be officially licenced before the release but the league will appear on the game? All the big transfers will be added, like Neymar to Al Hilal?

Would the league be playable?

The league exists already. Whether or not it playable remains to be seen.

On 26/09/2023 at 11:34, Defensive said:

Fair point. Still curious how the transfer market change is reflected in the game even if you cant play the league.

I imagine the clubs will be made to be extremely rich and able to make huge bids. A couple of Saudi clubs go for older players on decent money in FM23, so I don't think it would be hard for SI to implement despite no league.

Why has Saudi football bought so many stars. To be positively recognized, to be followed...

If that is true, then it would be natural that Saudi football would like its own league to be present, and PLAYABLE, in FM24, 25, 26,...

In fact, I think that Saudi football could even be ready to PAY to get its league playable.  Money is no obstacle.

On 26/09/2023 at 17:38, nico_france said:

I remember back in the days when China was really agressive in the transfer market

Even without the league playable you would have interests and big offers from this country IG, a bit different I reckon as the league was there, but Chinese teams were "part" of the transfer economy for EU and South Americans clubs

Until Chairman Xi simply changed his mind and lost interest, then the thing died overnight. Same thing could very much happen here when it's all dependent on the whim of one man.

On 26/09/2023 at 19:42, kevhamster said:

It does look like EA have an exclusive licence at the moment, so on that basis I'd assume it won't be in FM24, at least not as an officially licenced league.

hmm, what kind of licence though? Sometimes the licence for sports and management games are separate. EA have exclusive licences for a whole bunch of leagues that Konami can't use, but they can still be in FM under a separate licence since it's a different type of game.

On 01/10/2023 at 12:24, phnompenhandy said:

Until Chairman Xi simply changed his mind and lost interest, then the thing died overnight. Same thing could very much happen here when it's all dependent on the whim of one man.

There's a bit more to it than that.

He never lead the spending, just expressed interest in making China a football powerhouse. Didn't really lose interest either, just saw a load of money flowing out of the country and China still being **** at football. As far as I'm aware the Chinese government is investing in football still, just at the grass roots level. Plus the real estate crash and then covid really hurt the league too with a bunch of teams being owned by companies that suddenly ran out of money.

The Saudi government changing their mind could definitely see a similar end result, but it's important to note that the Chinese Super League's spending wasn't really what Xi wanted and he didn't directly participate, whereas the Saudi spending is exactly what the government want.

1 hour ago, rusty217 said:

hmm, what kind of licence though? Sometimes the licence for sports and management games are separate. EA have exclusive licences for a whole bunch of leagues that Konami can't use, but they can still be in FM under a separate licence since it's a different type of game.

That's not a question I can answer to be fair.  But even if SI can't use official stuff, they could do something similar to what is done with the English Premier League with the league being in but not being licenced.  But, I'm not an expert on contracts or licencing so there may be a reason it's not possible.

1 minute ago, Razal said:

Dont think so, They already have all clubs and players in it unlike j League

Yeah, just depends how new and exclusive EAs licence is. They’ve retroactively had to make changes before. Like the whole Brazil club names thing happened mid cycle if I remember rightly.

Not saying I think this is will happen, but there is precedent for there being the issue is all.

On 04/10/2023 at 19:32, gunner86 said:

Yeah, just depends how new and exclusive EAs licence is. They’ve retroactively had to make changes before. Like the whole Brazil club names thing happened mid cycle if I remember rightly.

Not saying I think this is will happen, but there is precedent for there being the issue is all.

IIRC part of the J-League problem is that SI are owned by Sega, a Japanese company, so Japanese licensing law was applied even more strictly to them. I don't expect to see anything quite as strict as that for any other licences elsewhere.

10 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

IIRC part of the J-League problem is that SI are owned by Sega, a Japanese company, so Japanese licensing law was applied even more strictly to them. I don't expect to see anything quite as strict as that for any other licences elsewhere.

Yeah. That makes sense to be fair. Like I say, really not an issue I think they’ll have anyway