Ever managed a rival club? Would you ever consider doing it?

In real life, managers and players often work for clubs that are rivals of their favourite clubs. They try to be professional about it and do their best regardless. 

Football Manager is basically you simulating the life of a professional football manager. But how far are you willing to go? 

As a huge Benfica fan, I wouldn't be able to manage Porto or Sporting. It would just feel wrong to achieve success with those clubs. I know it's just a game, but I want the game to be enjoyable. And I wouldn't enjoy myself managing two clubs I strongly dislike. 

Anyone else in Portugal is fine by me. I've managed Vitória Guimarães and Beira-Mar in the past and those were fun experiences. 

What about you? 

I support Vasco da Gama (Brazil), our main rivals are Flamengo, Fluminense and Botafogo. Flamengo and Fluminense I would never manage, but Vasco's relationship with Botafogo is kinda good despite the rivalry. So I've managed them in FM16. In two years, I won the Rio State Championship, Brazilian Serie A, Copa Libertadores and the Club World Cup.

The Club World Cup was a shocker because we have faced Al Ain from United Arab Emirates in the final, they won 2-1 against Juventus in the semis. And in the final we've wasted a lot of chances, they held us to penalties, but then we won 6-5.

I'm a Bradford City fan, so managing Leeds was always a big no. However, they always seem in dire need of sorting out for the better. They have some good youngsters at the club, so maybe this year I will have a go. I just can't stand their fans...:lol:

Maybe not divulge that in my first press conference ;)

Edited by Iggy Hassan

On 22/09/2023 at 23:35, Stone Cold said:

In real life, managers and players often work for clubs that are rivals of their favourite clubs. They try to be professional about it and do their best regardless. 

Football Manager is basically you simulating the life of a professional football manager. But how far are you willing to go? 

As a huge Benfica fan, I wouldn't be able to manage Porto or Sporting. It would just feel wrong to achieve success with those clubs. I know it's just a game, but I want the game to be enjoyable. And I wouldn't enjoy myself managing two clubs I strongly dislike. 

Anyone else in Portugal is fine by me. I've managed Vitória Guimarães and Beira-Mar in the past and those were fun experiences. 

What about you? 

Why not? In real life there are plenty of players/managers who played/managed both Benfica and Porto/Sporting..

So it doesn't seem unrealistic to me.

Em 27/09/2023 em 00:25, BadAss88 disse:

Why not? In real life there are plenty of players/managers who played/managed both Benfica and Porto/Sporting..

So it doesn't seem unrealistic to me.

I know. But not everyone is the same. I feel like I'd be committing treason against Benfica if I lead either Sporting or Porto to both domestic and European success.

I'm going to guess based on your apparent knowledge of Portuguese football that you're also Portuguese. Surely you are aware of how seriously your average supporter takes football here and how strong the rivalry between Benfica and Sporting/Porto is?

Em 29/09/2023 em 16:33, Novem9 disse:

No, and I find it difficult to manage any teams that have colors like our rivals. Even in Catania, which has similar colors but not exactly the same, it took me a few seasons to get used to

Well, I started a save with Celtic sometime ago and I can understand how you feel. 

Managing Brighton or Real Sociedad would be weird for me at first as well, I imagine,

8 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

I know. But not everyone is the same. I feel like I'd be committing treason against Benfica if I lead either Sporting or Porto to both domestic and European success.

I'm going to guess based on your apparent knowledge of Portuguese football that you're also Portuguese. Surely you are aware of how seriously your average supporter takes football here and how strong the rivalry between Benfica and Sporting/Porto is?

Well, I started a save with Celtic sometime ago and I can understand how you feel. 

Managing Brighton or Real Sociedad would be weird for me at first as well, I imagine,

I'm Belgian so no Portugese and although I'm more of a Benfica-fan in Portugal, I've managed all of the big three in Portugal.

And do you consider Jorge Jesus as a traitor? Because he was a Sporting-player and later managed Benfica (2 times) and Sporting as well..

47 minutos atrás, BadAss88 disse:

I'm Belgian so no Portugese and although I'm more of a Benfica-fan in Portugal, I've managed all of the big three in Portugal.

And do you consider Jorge Jesus as a traitor? Because he was a Sporting-player and later managed Benfica (2 times) and Sporting as well..

Ah I see. It's just that I rarely encounter foreigners who know such details about Portuguese football.

Well, rivalries in Portugal are very strong. There's a lot of hatred from Porto and Sporting against Benfica and vice-versa. 

I don't know much about Belgian football to draw any parallels. But would you manage any rival clubs in Belgium? And how strong are the rivalries there?

As for Jesus, he went directly from Benfica to Sporting after refusing to renew his contract. Also, he took a lot of shots at us since then. Plus, he's always been a rude and arrogant person, so I haven't liked him since about 2010. Way before he went to Sporting. And I didn't like to see him return to Benfica. Also, he played for Sporting when he was young and has always been known for being a sportinguista.

When he was a Benfica manager in his first stint he blackmailed the board to give him a better contract or else he'd go to Porto. So yeah, he's a traitor. 

As for your argument about managers and players having worked for rival clubs in Portugal, well, they are professionals, first and foremost. And will go to whoever pays them more. I don't get paid to play FM. Even if I try to immerse myself in it and make it more realistic, it's still a video game at the end of the day and I want to have a good time and make the money I paid for it worth it. Managing 2 clubs I hate would not be a fun experience, imo.