Any tips for defending the flanks in 442 diamond?

I'm currently using a 442 diamond in my save and our defence is extremely shakey according to the data hub. Looking into it most of our goals are conceded by crosses into the box. Makes sense as the flanks only have the fullbacks to defend. The midfield pair are a mezzarla and carrirelo on support. Team instruction to stop crosses. 

I don't want to change formation as attack wise we are fine. Just wondered if anyone has any advice on what else I could try. 

It's interesting that I also use a 41212 narrow at this stage, I think if I was you, I would change some aspects of this tactic:

1. I think your left flank  is too aggressive,  no one is in defending position. If you are coaching a dominant team that is OK, if not, it would be better to change the FBa to WBd or FBs, otherwise you could change the mez.

2. F9 is the kind of forward that stick to center, he would never go wide to get ball. I don't recommend using f9 in a narrow formation. maybe you can change the f9 to a DLF or PF or CF.

3. In a narrow formation, I don't recommend using wbib, here are too many players in the center, it would be very easy for your opposite to do counter things.

4. If you are using a normal team, maybe change the SS to AMa or  even AMs would be better for defending. I highly recommend AMs+AFa+PFa or AMa+AFa+DLFs, it depends on your player.

Hello friend. I exclusively used this formation in FM18 and eventually came upon a perfection of it.

The main way I avoided defensive problems was by using this midfield configuration:
AMC: Trequartista/AM(A)/AP(A)
Honestly the most important thing here is the role is on attack but I feel AM(A) is the least problematic and most configurable. Tactically, using a playmaker here seems attractive but this area of the pitch is one where I don't want my player to attract the opposition more - here I want to have a lot of space. If you use a playmaker, your team pass to him more but if he is heavily marked it's a problem. Better to have a variety of options.

Attacking full back side of central midfield:
DLP(S) or CM(S) with Hold Position instruction.
He stays deep and passes the ball around while your full back bombs on. As well as creativity and ball control, tackling and positioning is important for this player.

Support full back side of central midfield
Mez(s):
Runs into the box, runs into right channel, but also tracks back. Very athletic player with work rate and tackling necessary. Ideally has decent finishing and long shots. You don't need an attack duty here because you've got 3 attackers ahead of you plus a full back bombing on.

Both central midfielders: Close Down More. This is because I want both CMs to come out to the flank and close down more than my TIs require. One stays more central, the other closes down wide.

DM: Ball Winning Midfielder (Defend)
Lots of tactics gurus say the BWM is not a good holding midfielder because he closes down like crazy everywhere. That is true, but when you have a second midfielder who also holds position, this is not a big problem. I used to play Anchor Man here and was getting killed on the flanks and have tried everything but BWM was honestly my most successful. This guy is the steel of your midfield. High defensive attributes and good athleticism required. First touch and passing only has to be decent. Expect mediocre match ratings from this player - he will rarely contribute towards your attack.

For the attacking threat, I started off with DLF(S) and P(A), which eventually became CF(S) and CF(A), which eventually became T(A) and P(A). This transition was affected by the quality of my players. In League One I use DLF(S) and P(A), but when I'm winning Champions Leagues every season, I use T(A) and P(A). I'm careful to use a combination of some players who move into channels, and others who stay central. So, Mezzala and Trequartista move around  and roam a lot, but AM(A) and P(A) are staying mainly between the goal posts. Some players draw defenders away, other players attack the space. I also experimented with a lot of success telling my strikers to run wide with the ball. This opens a lot of space up for the other striker and AM(A) to attack.

On 13/09/2023 at 18:39, appledore said:

2. F9 is the kind of forward that stick to center, he would never go wide to get ball. I don't recommend using f9 in a narrow formation. maybe you can change the f9 to a DLF or PF or CF.

Thierry Henry would like to have a word!

Edited by Poison

11 hours ago, DeepThought said:

@HotPizza87have you used it in any subsequent FMs - particularly the current one ? I'm just wondering if it's held up across the years. 

There's no reason tactically why it wouldn't work. Obviously in terms of players if you try to fit square pegs into round holes you can't be surprised if you face problems on the field.

I guess it might be different for you if you use wildly different team instructions and mentality.

Edited by HotPizza87

Without trying to sound too obvious formations are about managing space. A 442 diamond seeks to overpower the centre at the expense of defending the flanks.

The lack of numbers down the flank allow the opposition to come down that area. So you should find sides that play diamonds having strong defenders who can deal with aerial threats.

Some roles like the Mezzala and Carrilero help a diamond transition into attack by occupying the halfspace to support the fullbacks. This almost creates a system that relies heavily on crosses. Some sides might use box to box midfielders with complete wingbacks who sometimes come in narrow allowing the diamond to thrust centrally and attack with throughballs. The common denominator with both is that they still need to draw opposition players down the flanks.

You can defend the flanks by playing with aggressive wingbacks on attack duty, here though you are taking the chance that them failing to defend well could leave you even more vulnerable down the flanks. An exposed flank early in the transition might force the central defenders out early thereby breaking up your central defence opening even more space.

With really good players you might be able to dominate simply because you have better players who can keep the ball making it harder for the opposition. Or you could be an average side that seeks to keep your wingbacks on defend and only allow them to cross from deeper areas.

My advice for anyone struggling to defend with a diamond is simple. Check your roles and duties, u should be able to transition up the pitch easily. If you are failing then I would start there first.

You are using two half space roles, they could be great at building up, check that they have aggression workrate anticipation concentration bravery to help you defend.

You are also playing with an underlap. This positions your players higher up the pitch, if you are struggling I  would remove that and counterpress. I doubt those are helping you.  Crosses are going to come when playing a diamond you just need good players as central defenders

@TheFalseNine I did a video for you hopefully it helps explain stuff easily.

https://youtu.be/M0nCJJJxsYI?si=g9TsbIsnJr7twMNV