Behold, the goal which blew promotion!

So, here's the scene.  I've been managing Stenhousemuir in the Scottish League Two.  We started the season with a media prediction of 5th out of 10 teams.  We outperform that for most of the season and are in the upper reaches of the table, and indeed top the table for a fair amount of the season until the last few weeks where iffy form takes over and we finish 2nd.

The Scottish League Two only has one automatic promotion spot, with 2nd to 4th fighting it out with the second bottom team of League One in a playoff to earn the right to a spot in League One the following season.

In the first leg of the playoff, we play 3rd placed Stirling Albion, who we beat over the two legs, and then face a two-legged final against Montrose, who finished 9th in League One.

The away leg is first for us, and we manage a convincing 2-1 win over Montrose, giving us a good chance of taking their League One spot from them.

20 minutes into the second league, we take the lead from the penalty spot, giving us a 3-1 aggregate lead and allowing me to dare to dream...... silly me.

By the 71st minute, Montrose have taken a 2-1 lead on the night, meaning it's now 3-3 on aggregate.  We've not played particularly well, but lead on XG.  At the end of the game, the ref calls for 5 minutes of stoppage time.  As we reach 94 minutes, I'm thinking of what to do for extra time, when this  happens......

You couldn't make this up!

25 minutes ago, gunner86 said:

That volley felt very… Le Tissier 🤔

Le Tiss in the lower reaches of the SPFL!   Very reminscient of that shot that went in for that goal of the season against Blackburn back in the day, albeit not quite as central!

It was a cracking goal.  I may have used a very naughty word when it went in though!

Edited by kevhamster

25 minutes ago, Rikulec said:

I was expecting some random FM shithousery, certainly not a screamer like this!

I'd not usually expect such screamers at this level!  Whilst it's not unusual for the goalkeepers to be bad and fluff their lines, usually the players struggle to get shots on target from within the box, never mind from nigh-on 40 yard out!

2 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

I'd not usually expect such screamers at this level!  Whilst it's not unusual for the goalkeepers to be bad and fluff their lines, usually the players struggle to get shots on target from within the box, never mind from nigh-on 40 yard out!

So, you bought this guy or what? Cause I definitely would do so.

44 minutes ago, SergeiG said:

Proof right here that the game is rigged.

Not at all.  Stuff like this is hardly unprecedented - just look up the Peterborough v Sheffield Wednesday playoff semi-final from last season.  That's crazier than what happened here.