MLS Next Pro and Expansions

sabertooth3

Hi, I'm having trouble at the moment with a rules error saying "A team in group 1 has a different number of matches (34) to other teams in the group (36)". I've checked the league settings, group settings, fixture dates, but I can't find where this error is coming from. The ultimate goal here is to incorporate the St. Louis 2023 and San Diego 2025 expansion teams (using San Diego Loyal), and add MLS Next Pro as a playable league so MLS reserve teams can play in it. Thank you for your help.

Test NYCFC Changes.fmf

I opened your file but I think you're using a different database than 23.4? I got some errors that were not this error, but I do have a little bit of insight just the same after poking around your file.

Full disclaimer: I am very new to the editor. Do not assume I know what I am talking about. If it seems wrong, it very well may be.

That said:

I had a similar issue working on a similar project, and the problem for me (and it looks like for you) was in the match plan. In seasons where the number of teams in the league is odd, the plan of playing two rounds within the division and then X number of cross-conference matches won't work because some teams in the smaller conference (West) will have more than others, and they'll all have less than teams in the east. If you're not too hung up on the realism, you could go the route that SI took, and have every team play every other team in the league once, and then add enough additional division games to get the schedule to 34 (or whatever you're making the total).

Thanks for taking a look. I couldn't figure it out, so I started over with trying to create a brand new US system, and I have issues there too lol. Basically it's a 4 level structure with 20 teams each and 3 pro/rel spots for each division (top division only relegates and bottom only promotes, obviously). My top division verifies in the advanced rules, but my bottom 3 do not. I get an error:

"Wrong number of teams (XX) found for stage 0 of United States Championship (20 required)"

The funny thing is that the XX number varies each individual time I run the rules. It's sometimes 17, 18, or 19. I think it has something to do with the pro/rel not happening correctly, but I'm not sure. The database verifies with basic rules, but the moment I turn on advanced rules I get this error.

Edit: This is using the FM22 editor, so the database is 22.4

New American Soccer League.fmf

Edited by sabertooth3