[FM23] Benfica & the Curse of Bela Guttmann

warlock

May 2025

A hectic April is done and it's been another fantastic month for Benfica. In the league we maintained our unbeaten season, although Sporting came close to denying us:

image.png.a74e373e8193b9c209a38b86936c6640.png

Leonardo started the month on fire with another hat-trick but then hit a dry spell. Unfortunately, it has coincided with a similar run of poor form from Araujo. Happily, the rest of the squad has picked up the burden with our fantastic attacking midfield securing important goals this month. Against Sporting we relied on a penalty to secure a share of the points, and when we faced Sporting a week later in the final of the Allianz Cup we needed Silva to convert a corner to send the game into a penalty shootout where, fortunately, we held our nerve and picked up our third trophy of the season.

But it's all about The Curse and the Champions League. After seeing off Barcelona in the round of 16, we were rewarded with a quarter-final draw against Chelsea - a task made harder by the loss of both our strikers to injury:

image.png.9216154429cdd44b35103d98edb030ff.png

We had a lucky start when Sterling had a second-minute goal ruled out for offside. We played our now-customary counter system for this away leg and although Chelsea dominated, we bagged two first-half goals. We had to play AMR Abada as a striker and he proved up to the task. A late goal for Chelsea from Kai Havertz gave them hope for the second leg in Lisbon:

image.png.a4fca9d1595ce73ee89be0f0cbf2ad1c.png

But their hopes came to nothing as we controlled the match, before AML Danjuma extended our lead midway through the second half and we were through to the semi-final. Where we were drawn against Liverpool. I haven't had much luck against the Reds of Merseyside in FM23 so I was far from optimistic:

image.png.bdc7959352f332e5651c8f8d68715686.png

We were, generally, brilliant - with the exception of GK Seimen who chose this one to produce his worst performance of the season, finishing the game with a 6.0 rating. Luckily, this was also the game when Araujo rediscovered his ability in front of goal, bagging a hat-trick to give us the narrowest of leads for the return leg in Liverpool. At half-time I was hoping we could hold a 3-1 lead, then just 5 minutes into the second half we gave up a soft goal. And when we were awarded a penalty we had the chance of a 5-2 advantage... before Schjelderup scuffed his spot-kick into the arms of the 'keeper.

Giving up another goal before the final whistle was a real kick in the teeth and I hope those second-half mistakes don't come back to haunt us!.

Looking ahead to May, we have three very winnable domestic games remaining to secure an invincible season, and the return leg against Liverpool. If we make it to the final it looks as though we'll face Man City, who hold a 3-0 advantage over RB Leipzig in their semi-final, with the return leg to be played at the Etihad. Death or glory awaits!

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That 4-2 against Liverpool looks solid. The away trip is always difficult, well every game is difficult at that stage of UCL... Good luck!

Edit: 4-3, Messed it up.

Edited by lfds89

Champions League, semi-final

Having scraped a 4-3 lead against Liverpool in the home leg, we travelled to Anfield with hope but - to be honest - little confidence. I had major doubts about our tactical approach for this game - we had a lead, should we be cautious or stick to our attacking principles? In the end I figured we'd be better going for broke. Any attempt to sit on our slender advantage seemed to invite Liverpool to attack us with impunity. My only concession to Liverpool's relentless high press was to turn off 'play out of defence'.

image.png.41062d07ae1974ec362cb65c0b01175e.png

In the event, Liverpool didn't allow us much of an attacking approach - but we did somewhat 'FM' them. They had the possession, the number of shots, the better chances - but somehow we scored four goals from an xG of 0.44, thanks to a creative masterclass from DM Rafael Luis and AMR David Neres who finished the game with an assist and a goal apiece. I'm sure the neutrals loved this one with goals galore - we extended our lead before half-time before allowing them to tie the game on aggregate midway through the second half. But late goals from Leonardo and Luis restored our advantage before Neres put the game beyond reach with a goal in added time. The aggregate score of 8-6 perhaps looked comfortable but in reality it was anything but.

We have a couple of dead-rubber games in the domestic league - with only our invincible season to play for - before we face Man City in the Champions League final in Munich. A chance to end the curse... can we pull it off and cement this team's place in football legend?

5 hours ago, lfds89 said:

Ready for City?

With two domestic games to play I'm just hoping we can avoid any critical injuries.

2 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

rooting for you to end this before FM24!

Well, it's now or never for FM23 - whatever happens I think the save is done at the end of this season. I know I could theoretically move it into FM24 but if we don't break the curse here it'll wait for another crack at it later in the new version.

1 hour ago, warlock said:

Breaking the curse...

image.png.709f69ca3857f2d571a1b96ec611a3fd.png

image.png.7ea3e339cf14fec7a029a178e2b68f25.png

I spent a lot of time thinking about our tactical approach for this one. When we beat City earlier in the competition we defended deep and hit them on the counter, resulting in a 3-0 win for us. In the end, I decided to stick to our attacking, high-press system - with just the one change in mentality from positive to balanced. When we went a goal down after just two minutes I was sure I'd got it wrong but it gradually became clear that we were having more and better chances. We were level inside 20 minutes when Scott pounced on a loose ball on the edge of the City area and drove a first-time shot into the top corner. Leonardo's goal just before half-time was a killer blow and City never really recovered.

A fantastic end to a fantastic season - we played some 50 games and lost only one, that Taca de Portugal cup game against Rio Ave back in December. Invincible in the league and picking up four trophies.

image.png.b06d2dfcebc4be724af766fb2f55cd23.png

Despite some mixed spells of form, Leonardo and Araujo were excellent with 35 and 30 goals, respectively, in all competitions. Almost as important were Alex Scott's contributions with 24 goals and 9 assists, Scott is probably my player of the save:

image.png.f5275882d1ceaa429820066551ab1264.png

Look at those attributes, and he's still only 21.

Thanks to everyone who's followed and commented :applause:

Congrats mate, the curse is broken! I've still been silently following your progress. Great timing to end the save with FM24 on the horizon! 😊

Edited by Gee_Simpson

54 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Congrats mate, the curse is broken!

Thanks! This may have been my favourite FM save ever - the Portuguese league is fun to play, and Benfica's endless production line of talent is a joy.

Did you get your save underway? Hope you've managed to get some enjoyment from the game this year.

1 minute ago, Hootieleece said:

You have now earned a chance to rest before FM24 comes out

Can't wait to get stuck in to FM24! I'm hoping beta might be released Tues/Weds this week.

And having convinced myself that the Champions League final was the last game of the save, I'm now torn about continuing it in FM24.

Hopelessly addicted :lol:

9 hours ago, warlock said:

This may have been my favourite FM save ever

It’s been one of the best to follow! Congratulations on a magnificent season. Great to bring the story to a close, just before the arrival of FM24. 

12 hours ago, warlock said:

Breaking the curse...

image.png.709f69ca3857f2d571a1b96ec611a3fd.png

image.png.7ea3e339cf14fec7a029a178e2b68f25.png

I spent a lot of time thinking about our tactical approach for this one. When we beat City earlier in the competition we defended deep and hit them on the counter, resulting in a 3-0 win for us. In the end, I decided to stick to our attacking, high-press system - with just the one change in mentality from positive to balanced. When we went a goal down after just two minutes I was sure I'd got it wrong but it gradually became clear that we were having more and better chances. We were level inside 20 minutes when Scott pounced on a loose ball on the edge of the City area and drove a first-time shot into the top corner. Leonardo's goal just before half-time was a killer blow and City never really recovered.

A fantastic end to a fantastic season - we played some 50 games and lost only one, that Taca de Portugal cup game against Rio Ave back in December. Invincible in the league and picking up four trophies.

image.png.b06d2dfcebc4be724af766fb2f55cd23.png

Despite some mixed spells of form, Leonardo and Araujo were excellent with 35 and 30 goals, respectively, in all competitions. Almost as important were Alex Scott's contributions with 24 goals and 9 assists, Scott is probably my player of the save:

image.png.f5275882d1ceaa429820066551ab1264.png

Look at those attributes, and he's still only 21.

Thanks to everyone who's followed and commented :applause:

Yasssssss superb mate! Welcome to the curse club.

Fantastic save thoroughly enjoyed following you on your quest. :applause:

21 hours ago, warlock said:

Thanks! This may have been my favourite FM save ever - the Portuguese league is fun to play, and Benfica's endless production line of talent is a joy.

Did you get your save underway? Hope you've managed to get some enjoyment from the game this year.

Unfortunately I didn't, I just felt it was too late in the game's cycle for me to start, as I usually only play 1 or 2 saves per game. I absolutely plan on playing straight away in FM24 though! Although I'm not sure if I'll go Benfica or Man Utd as usual for my first save. The attraction of Benfica for me is still there due to the amazing youth, but with United performing poorly irl again, I'm leaning towards us. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

Perfect ending for a fantastic career, great timing too :D

Recently started a save in Portugal (Maritimo ftw) and it looked like a really entertaining league, with a lot of teams playing attacking football (and conceding lots of goals) and a surprisingly well balanced schedule even with two national cups. Definitely a solid choice for a save in FM 24

Edited by kandersson

On 17/10/2023 at 22:18, Gee_Simpson said:

Unfortunately I didn't, I just felt it was too late in the game's cycle for me to start, as I usually only play 1 or 2 saves per game. I absolutely plan on playing straight away in FM24 though! Although I'm not sure if I'll go Benfica or Man Utd as usual for my first save. The attraction of Benfica for me is still there due to the amazing youth, but with United performing poorly irl again, I'm leaning towards us. 

@warlock With regards to this, I meant I'm starting after the official release, I never play during the beta. I was pretty much set on United but think I'm going to go with Benfica after seeing Joao Neves 😍 I also thought Marcos Leonardo was off to Roma irl which put me off as I really wanted to sign him for Benfica, but nothing has been agreed yet so this will probably be my last chance to sign him, as he's almost certainly leaving in January irl.

Edited by Gee_Simpson

1 hour ago, warlock said:

Gotta play the hand you're dealt! Although with the new fresh start mode, you get another deal :D.

Just do it!!

Lol, I just prefer for things to be up to date. I'll probably just play the original way, as I would prefer to have the full squad available from the start. The fantasy mode doesn't really interest me.