What is required for a title winning squad

On 24/06/2023 at 09:53, Fmhnunter said:

Aside from good dynamics and tactics, what else is really crucial for a title winning squad. In more depth how important is training ?

Good morale is the key to over performing to win games. Get your tactic sorted and recruit  well to fit your system. Learn to rotate the squad, watch games on full, and make changes to matches you won't pick up in otherwise. In short: recruitment and morale are the two biggest factors by far.

Training/staff are nice for player improvement. I'd focus on your pre-season the most when it comes to this in terms of impact on your season itself. 

Just look at manchester city and Arsenal this year. Squad depth is Id argue the most important, especially if you also compete in the cup and in Europe.

Being able to let some players rest without having to worry you drop points against midtable/relegation teams goes a long way. Or being able to drop a player who is in poor form and replace him with someone almost equally good (or at least not miles worse)

I believe the winning formula is combination of:

• Squad Depth - you need 1st and 2nd backup team to be able to compete in the domestic league, Champions League and Cups. Rested players play so much better than tired ones
  • Players whose abilities closely fit your chosen tactic. Eg. If you choose to play Possession-based approach then you need very technical intelligent players
  • Good Personalities that work well together. Nothing worse for team morale than having one or two players that cause controversy and disharmony on the squad
  • As high a morale as you can possibly achieve for EVERY game. This takes a bit of work and micromanagement (frequent team talks and talking to each player individually) but is totally worth it.
  • Finally, creating a LOGICAL tactic that you understand well enough yourself so as to make changes when things go wrong. As well as a SIMPLE tactic that your players understand easily and can learn very fast. It is not about how many instructions and exotic roles you can fit into one tactic, it is about finding the most efficient, straightforward way to achieve the result you are looking for. Sometimes the same strategy does not work to get efficient result in two different situations. For example winning against the league underdog versus winning in the Champions League final requires two very different tactical approaches.
Edited by crusadertsar

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/06/2023 at 13:04, crusadertsar said:

I believe the winning formula is combination of:

• Squad Depth - you need 1st and 2nd backup team to be able to compete in the domestic league, Champions League and Cups. Rested players play so much better than tired ones
  • Players whose abilities closely fit your chosen tactic. Eg. If you choose to play Possession-based approach then you need very technical intelligent players
  • Good Personalities that work well together. Nothing worse for team morale than having one or two players that cause controversy and disharmony on the squad
  • As high a morale as you can possibly achieve for EVERY game. This takes a bit of work and micromanagement (frequent team talks and talking to each player individually) but is totally worth it.
  • Finally, creating a LOGICAL tactic that you understand well enough yourself so as to make changes when things go wrong. As well as a SIMPLE tactic that your players understand easily and can learn very fast. It is not about how many instructions and exotic roles you can fit into one tactic, it is about finding the most efficient, straightforward way to achieve the result you are looking for. Sometimes the same strategy does not work to get efficient result in two different situations. For example winning against the league underdog versus winning in the Champions League final requires two very different tactical approaches.

@crusadertsar I just had a question about your second bullet point, because it's something that I tend to struggle with. How do you know what attributes to look for, when you've chosen a playing style whether that is possession, counter attacking etc?

On 04/07/2023 at 11:11, silentventus said:

@crusadertsar I just had a question about your second bullet point, because it's something that I tend to struggle with. How do you know what attributes to look for, when you've chosen a playing style whether that is possession, counter attacking etc?

To me it's rather simple and intuitive I guess. But that comes with experience. Smart and technical players = possession style. Physical (fast) and hard workers (work rate, aggression and bravery) = counter-attacking. And if you have combination of the two then Geggepressing I guess.